Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EQ2 would be the most confusing mmo on the list to start.

delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081

I played EQ2 on and off back in the day. I never really got hooked because of better alternatives. But now with all mmos being crap I find myself rehashing the classics trying like most to find a home.

As I scroll the list and come across EQ2, I say to myself no, just NO !

Here is why :

First the game was never that great to begin with along with bad coding plastic graphics and elevator music that doesn't fit anything........But at least it's an mmo unlike most on the list.

Next, SOE sold us out by going F2P cash grabs, and many say the cash shop is not very good even if you don't mind them. 

**But the biggest reason of all is the game is PIECED TOGEATHER LIKE A JIGSAW PUZZLE ! **

This all started back in the early stages of SOE marketing greed days. Unlike Blizzard, SOE pushed paid expansions instead of free updates. Zoning to areas were bad enough, then you had to load in your expansion and figure out where to go to mash the world together.  Some zones were bugged, the newer ones were slightly better, where should you go next ?  The list could go on and on with confusion.  Add in crappy maps.  I could understand the idea of self exploration but not with this game being pieced together.

Now were in 2015. The new player has to deal with a Cash shop and do heavy research from the net so you don't buy the wrong things and get ripped off, but you also have to figure out expansion packages. THEN AFTER ALL THAT YOU HAVE TO FIGURE OUT WHERE TO START AND HOW TO ADVANCE !!!

The vets would love to say its "easy"......I would say bull crap.....For everything hard to figure out in this mmo = money for SOE.

Comments

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    Just take SOE not Sony to court or Daybreak for spoiling your whole life...PATHETIC.

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    Originally posted by SavageHorizon
    Just take SOE not Sony to court or Daybreak for spoiling your whole life...PATHETIC.

I'm sitting here thinking of a good come back, and nothing comes to mind right now....This is actually a good shot !...And I fixed the SOE thing, thanks :)

If you don't mind Savage, I would like to use this line someday in the future, would that be OK ?....If not I understand.

• GameboyMarcGameboyMarc Member UncommonPosts: 395
    Played WoW for 10 years on and off. Recently I closed my account and gave EQ2 a shot. Got lucky joined a good guild and been having fun since, that was about a month ago. I am only level 51 but I'm just going to say I like the game :)

• ET3DET3D Member UncommonPosts: 325
    Originally posted by delete5230Now were in 2015. The new player has to deal with a Cash shop and do heavy research from the net so you don't buy the wrong things and get ripped off, but you also have to figure out expansion packages. THEN AFTER ALL THAT YOU HAVE TO FIGURE OUT WHERE TO START AND HOW TO ADVANCE !!!

I haven't touched the game in a year or two, but the way I remember it, a new player pretty much gets the entire game for free. Sure there are some high level expansions that you might want to buy, but you're not really a noob by the time you need them. And there are some extra options you can buy separately.

But really, you get most of the game for free, all the races, all the classes but one. You hardly need the cash shop unless you want more characters or unlocks or trading (for the last two you may be better off with a sub anyway).

So I'm not at all sure what you're talking about. Sure, EQ2 was and is confusing to a newcomer, but that has little to do with the cash shop, and IMO it's somewhat better than it was years ago, because at least to level 20 you get some story based progression and one of the quests gives you a mount so you can at least explore at a decent speed.

• SunscourSunscour Member UncommonPosts: 186

Hmmm.  I didn't seem to have any of those problems. I just doodled around and figured it out.

But I will say I never buy anything straight out of the gate in a cash shop.  Now once I figure out how to play and the direction I want to go, well then yes I do!!

Also, isn't it Daybreak games now?

Life is Short, Read a Book.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

the game is sort of a mess because it is a big game.

i sense two problems any former wow player will encounter.

1 min maxing and having that knowledge too easy to come by.

2 massive linear gameplay.

first of all eq2 has thesecocepts as well just not lumped in a super easy linear fashion,you might have to actually explore the world as EVERY game should make you do.it is only the cheap free xp i can't stand that games out as if it were something earned.

the simple of it in eq2 is that you can level up in several areas,so there is no need to min max aside from learning the varios master spells from different races.

if you still feel the need to get everythingyou can stop your xp bar and just build up pts,an idea i actually wish all games used.

there are some hidden quests such as the harvesting quests,but if you explore and play all the game has to offer,you will learn a lot ovr time.

a large world is meant to be explored not hand held and told where to go because that would not be your game but instead the same linear paththat everyone follows.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by delete5230

Now were in 2015. The new player has to deal with a Cash shop and do heavy research from the net so you don't buy the wrong things and get ripped off, but you also have to figure out expansion packages. THEN AFTER ALL THAT YOU HAVE TO FIGURE OUT WHERE TO START AND HOW TO ADVANCE !!!

...or just do the tutorial. 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Honestly is the problem just a badly coded engine, if you add content in smaller patches or larger packs doesn't affect performance as long as you polish things up. EQ2s engine have always been it's weakest point.

I personally think the games quality peak just after the release of EoF, I can't  say that I like the direction the game have taken since. It was the first P2P game who implemented a cashshop and after F2P SOE took things way too far to get in money. Also I felt that the expansions quality went down after EoF but that is just my personal opinion. The difficulty and the focus o grouping went away after EoF though so soloers might enjoy the game more now.

I am not so sure the game is that confusing however but it been a while since I played it last. That might be because I played a lot of MMOs since I started in 1996 and games were far less explaining back then, you just had to figure stuff out by yourself, or maybe you just complicate stuff too much.

EQ2 is a classic but it just ain't the game it once was. It is rather different from the rest of the games so it is worth a try though but all the instant teleporting and stuff they added kinda breaks my heart so I don't see myself getting back in again.

• trash656trash656 Member UncommonPosts: 361
    Originally posted by Loke666

Honestly is the problem just a badly coded engine, if you add content in smaller patches or larger packs doesn't affect performance as long as you polish things up. EQ2s engine have always been it's weakest point.

I personally think the games quality peak just after the release of EoF, I can't  say that I like the direction the game have taken since. It was the first P2P game who implemented a cashshop and after F2P SOE took things way too far to get in money. Also I felt that the expansions quality went down after EoF but that is just my personal opinion. The difficulty and the focus o grouping went away after EoF though so soloers might enjoy the game more now.

I am not so sure the game is that confusing however but it been a while since I played it last. That might be because I played a lot of MMOs since I started in 1996 and games were far less explaining back then, you just had to figure stuff out by yourself, or maybe you just complicate stuff too much.

EQ2 is a classic but it just ain't the game it once was. It is rather different from the rest of the games so it is worth a try though but all the instant teleporting and stuff they added kinda breaks my heart so I don't see myself getting back in again.

Nice to see you back again Loke666. Havin't seen you in ages on here. Good post as usual. Agreed 100%

• BoneserinoBoneserino Member UncommonPosts: 1,768
    Originally posted by Loktofeit

He makes a great point.

Where is the "autoplay" button in today's MMO?  

(Sexy female voice says)  You have selected : Autoplay

Please choose your playstyle :  Uber hardcore

Carebear Casual

Rat bastard Griefer

You have selected Rat bastard Griefer.   We are sending pizza and beer to your present address now.   Thank you for playing our game.

FFA Nonconsentual Full Loot PvP ...You know you want it!!

• WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,363

i dont get it , why is eq2 confusing?

nowdays they have a full 1-20 full tutorial , and for Expansion, u can play for free until lvl 90? 2 races and 2 classes are locked out because were released on expansion , u buy that expansion or the class at the cash shop.

u start where u want , halas , kelething for good , Neriak gorowyn for evil. and follow the quest that even teach u how to gather and craft things....

Nothing hard in eq2 atm , the golden path has been a thing since years...

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Boneserino

He makes a great point.

Carebear Casual

Rat bastard Griefer

You have selected Rat bastard Griefer.   We are sending pizza and beer to your present address now.   Thank you for playing our game.

We could have an entire hilarious thread just on what perks each of those three would get. :) 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• Scott23Scott23 Member UncommonPosts: 293
    Originally posted by Boneserino

He makes a great point.

Carebear Casual

Rat bastard Griefer

We could have an entire hilarious thread just on what perks each of those three would get. :) 

The possibilities are nearly endless :)

• itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999

you might find eve, entropia, DF, any other sandbox a lot more "confussing to start"  than good ol' EQ2 which had a lot more depth than most games but gives you a pretty decent tour of the game systems within the first couple hours of play.

from someone who has played and liked all the games mentioned above.

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141

Pieced together like a jig saw puzzle is a great way to describe it, its like 8 different games smashed together.  And I actually enjoyed playing it and probably still would but all the travel and such is so disconnected.  It's impossible to figure out how to get anywhere in that game without help or searching online.

Actually Final Fantasy's map system is almost as bad so is LOTRO's.  I have never understood why a developer would just insert the location name of where you needed to go in some text list rather then just using a map system with links you click on.  like I can remember a lists of names of places I rarely ever travel to.

Lotro was really bad at this as the travel point names did not even coincide with the destination zone, it was maddening.

Apparently building a good travel system is allot harder then it must seem.  But I hate to say this, WoW nailed it.  Click on Any travel master he shows you all the places you can travel in a visual map with a logical name, along with whole world map and go. So how is that hard?

• GrummusGrummus Member UncommonPosts: 151

EQ2 is more old school rpg and less "Babbys' first MMO" like WOW.

It's an actual world with an ungodly amount of things to do in every zone and numerous ways to waste time.

It's very, very top heavy. 

It's probably the only good ACTUAL mmo out there right now. 

Let's not kid ourselves about how "well" it runs though.

8370 @ 4.8ghz

2x 8gb 290x TRI-X

40 FPS max settings at 1920x1080 on a system that puts out 70+ FPS in GTAV and 50+ In Witcher 3 at literal max settings and 3200x1800 resolution isn't good in any sense of the word.