Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Discovered heartstone ho boy

RingsideRingside Member UncommonPosts: 249

Im like 2 years late lollll just decided to give this game a shot on my ipad and omg it is addictive... Im going to download it on my PC im litteraly getting hooked to it. I played Magic the gathering when I was young even tho this had the reputation to be a nerd game.

This heartstone game is almost like Magic just as fun and im glad I gave it a shot. If you are here bored with every mmorpg I suggest you go download that game and try it for 30 minutes. I garantee you wont regret.

Comments

• HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415

I guarantee you will regret it after the novelty wears off.

Blizzard is in this to make money hand over fist, and they do so by releasing expansion card packs that are stupidly more powerful than the previous set of cards.  So what happens is you either pay out the wazoo for a bunch of the new packs, and adapt to the new "meta" (currently its mech rush decks), or you get hosed 8 out of 10 games because you don't have a deck built specifically to either combat the new meta, or be part of the new meta.

Your other option is to grind out a completely stupid amount of games to earn the gold in game to purchase the packs.  Just for reference, you get 10 gold for winning (not playing, winning) 3 games, 100g can buy you a card pack which gives you 5 random cards.  You also get a daily quest which gives you 40-60g.  So in a week, roundabouts you can buy 3-4 packs depending on how much you play the game and how much you win.  Just for point of reference, i disenchant 4 out 5 cards of every pack.  I almost never get a card that i dont already have when i open a new pack.

Someone did the math and basically to reliably get every card in the game you would have to spend something on the order of $470 on packs, translate that to in game gold, and thats around 700gold for $10, or roughly 33000 gold you would have to earn in game to reliably get all the cards.

Going further on the math that means if you want to do it in game, assuming you do all of your dailies every day, it would take you a ballpark 1.8 years of playing the game extensively EVERY SINGLE DAY to get all the cards that are currently in the game, thats not including any expansion packs that release in the mean time.

So, options are A. Open up your wallet so you can actually compete and not get hosed every game, or B. Play it for an ungodly amount of time to earn the in game gold to buy the packs and hope RNGesus blesses you with a good card so you can actually build a competitive deck.

The third option is you can play it casually until you start to notice you're losing 80% of your games to the exact same BS and then give up and quit.

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

• DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    Its a shame MTG online client feels like it was created before the turn of the century.  If it was as fun as the hearthstone client, I dare say it would be far more popular, and hearthstone far less.

• eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809
    I have been playing from the beginning and have never gotten bored, however if you do not spend any money it will take you a very long time to get good cards, I recommend spending about $100 and you should be good to go. It is very addicting, and fun, I am also going to try another game called Hex which is suppose to be good---enjoy
  • DrunkWolfDrunkWolf Member RarePosts: 1,701

This game needs 2 match makers.

one for people who spend money and one for people who dont.

• HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415
    Originally posted by DrunkWolf

This.  Or maybe tiers.  People who have spent $0, then $1-$50, and $50-150, then $150+ or something.

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

• d_20d_20 Member RarePosts: 1,878

It can be a fun game, but yeah, when I see people with ridiculous decks from the first hand, I just quit until I get an opponent I like.  They get their win and I get a fun game. I can often tell just from the card backs, so that saves some time. Or if I've played them before.

• PigozzPigozz Member UncommonPosts: 886
    Originally posted by Hrimnir

I guarantee you will regret it after the novelty wears off.

Blizzard is in this to make money hand over fist, and they do so by releasing expansion card packs that are stupidly more powerful than the previous set of cards.  So what happens is you either pay out the wazoo for a bunch of the new packs, and adapt to the new "meta" (currently its mech rush decks), or you get hosed 8 out of 10 games because you don't have a deck built specifically to either combat the new meta, or be part of the new meta.

Your other option is to grind out a completely stupid amount of games to earn the gold in game to purchase the packs.  Just for reference, you get 10 gold for winning (not playing, winning) 3 games, 100g can buy you a card pack which gives you 5 random cards.  You also get a daily quest which gives you 40-60g.  So in a week, roundabouts you can buy 3-4 packs depending on how much you play the game and how much you win.  Just for point of reference, i disenchant 4 out 5 cards of every pack.  I almost never get a card that i dont already have when i open a new pack.

Someone did the math and basically to reliably get every card in the game you would have to spend something on the order of $470 on packs, translate that to in game gold, and thats around 700gold for $10, or roughly 33000 gold you would have to earn in game to reliably get all the cards.

Going further on the math that means if you want to do it in game, assuming you do all of your dailies every day, it would take you a ballpark 1.8 years of playing the game extensively EVERY SINGLE DAY to get all the cards that are currently in the game, thats not including any expansion packs that release in the mean time.

So, options are A. Open up your wallet so you can actually compete and not get hosed every game, or B. Play it for an ungodly amount of time to earn the in game gold to buy the packs and hope RNGesus blesses you with a good card so you can actually build a competitive deck.

The third option is you can play it casually until you start to notice you're losing 80% of your games to the exact same BS and then give up and quit.

Get skilled in arena - I did this after playing for like 2 months, got skilled enough to win at least 5 games everytime earning enough gold AND a card pack (alongside with some random golden card to be disench for dust) every run, which take you like 1 hour of play time - I had almost ecvery card excluding few epics and legendaries after a month

I think I actually spent way more time reading and theorycrafting about MMOs than playing them

• DrunkWolfDrunkWolf Member RarePosts: 1,701
    Originally posted by Hrimnir

This.  Or maybe tiers.  People who have spent $0, then $1-$50, and $50-150, then $150+ or something.

That would also work. Right now its so pay to win its laughable.

• Leon1eLeon1e Member UncommonPosts: 791

Matchmaking is terrible. My first couple of games with basic cards were so much fun. The fights were balanced and it felt like a real card game where luck and tactics mattered. Then I started to fight people with winged cards (aka expansion cards?)... all the damn time and its just not fun. These cards are huge game changers. Playing as a free player is simply not fun. Crafting cards is not viable if you have multiple heroes/decks. 

This is not how you make a card game. I understand that the game has to be monetized but this is a bit over the top.