Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ragefire - Nagafen, Vox, Phinny Already Downed

MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531

Ragefire has effectively been up for two days.  Nagafen, Vox and Phinny have already been defeated.  Nagafen, at least, was taken out by a group comprised almost entirely of casters...No trinity followed.

Just an FYI, if you're thinking of playing.  Progression is nothing like it used to be.

Comments

• Storm_CloudStorm_Cloud Member UncommonPosts: 401

The warning signs was all over the place waaaay before the server even launched. Those that paid the $15 and the extra $$$ on xp potions but still failed must be pretty upset now.

I'm glad I took the advice from the warnings and sat this one out. OP classes and xp potions in a game that started fresh with all level 1s was a bit to much for me to agree with.

DBG is happy though, they made a bunch of cash!

Pantheon will be awesome, I can't wait!

• AzmodeusAzmodeus Member UncommonPosts: 268

Pantheon will probably be the saving grace, but nothing is preventing you from playing on progression the way you want to play.  There are plenty of legit people and not everyone is botting and power leveling. 

Telling people to not play because you read something about dragons being killed, and which doesn't really effect you doesn't make sense to me.

OMG I am Ancient!
  • damond5031damond5031 Member UncommonPosts: 445
    The only non caster to take part was a warrior, the rest were mostly mages, with a few clerics, wizards and a necro sprinkled in. A daybreak rep was on the official forums congratulating them last night like this was a good thing. It took only about twenty minutes for one of the raiders to pop up and start offering some of the loot for chronos. I hope that was in jest.
  • hockeyplayrhockeyplayr Member UncommonPosts: 604
    I rolled an enchanter and I'm not even level 5 yet...
  • MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    Originally posted by Azmodeus

Pantheon will probably be the saving grace, but nothing is preventing you from playing on progression the way you want to play.  There are plenty of legit people and not everyone is botting and power leveling. 

Telling people to not play because you read something about dragons being killed, and which doesn't really effect you doesn't make sense to me.

I didn't tell anyone not to play.

• AwDiddumsAwDiddums Member UncommonPosts: 416

I would have to agree in some way with the OP, this is not a classic progression server, that being said, this is EQ without all the expacs, THAT is what many where after, to be able to start off without the ludicrous amount of content that left many of us lost when we have popped our heads back in EQ from time to time.

I don't give a toffee about what player killed what raid target and in how little time, it will not impact how I play, I never raided back when EQ started, and I will not miss raiding this time around, it's a part of the game I have no interest in playing, the drama associated with raid rotations, and then guilds ignoring them is just too much for this old man to deal with.

The progression clock has 6 months on EQ original before Kunark goes live, the ppl that killed raggy etc can do so each time they repop for the next 6 months, I'm sure many others will be joining them sooner or later.

So to recap, I came back not because of the progression, I came back because this is my chance to start from the first content release and to experience each and every expac there after, what anyone else does is their business.

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

Originally posted by AwDiddums
    I would have to agree in some way with the OP, this is not a classic progression server, that being said, this is EQ without all the expacs, THAT is what many where after, to be able to start off without the ludicrous amount of content that left many of us lost when we have popped our heads back in EQ from time to time.I don't give a toffee about what player killed what raid target and in how little time, it will not impact how I play, I never raided back when EQ started, and I will not miss raiding this time around, it's a part of the game I have no interest in playing, the drama associated with raid rotations, and then guilds ignoring them is just too much for this old man to deal with.The progression clock has 6 months on EQ original before Kunark goes live, the ppl that killed raggy etc can do so each time they repop for the next 6 months, I'm sure many others will be joining them sooner or later.So to recap, I came back not because of the progression, I came back because this is my chance to start from the first content release and to experience each and every expac there after, what anyone else does is their business.

BAM!! ^^^

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,396

'This game isn't like I remember it...'   --  Fancy that!

You old school types had better support these games that cater to your nostalgia.  Because if you don't, no one will cater to you at all. 

'Cause developers have to pay the rent too.

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207
    I personally don't get progression servers. It's like starting all over with 15 years of knowledge and knowing all the most efficient ways of doing everything. All the danger and excitement is essentially gone and the experience relies too heavily on nostalgia.  
  • epoqepoq Member UncommonPosts: 394

What a bleepin joke.

Glad I didn't buy in day one.

• milluxmillux Member UncommonPosts: 50

Originally posted by baphamet
    I would have to agree in some way with the OP, this is not a classic progression server, that being said, this is EQ without all the expacs, THAT is what many where after, to be able to start off without the ludicrous amount of content that left many of us lost when we have popped our heads back in EQ from time to time.I don't give a toffee about what player killed what raid target and in how little time, it will not impact how I play, I never raided back when EQ started, and I will not miss raiding this time around, it's a part of the game I have no interest in playing, the drama associated with raid rotations, and then guilds ignoring them is just too much for this old man to deal with.The progression clock has 6 months on EQ original before Kunark goes live, the ppl that killed raggy etc can do so each time they repop for the next 6 months, I'm sure many others will be joining them sooner or later.So to recap, I came back not because of the progression, I came back because this is my chance to start from the first content release and to experience each and every expac there after, what anyone else does is their business.

BAM!! ^^^

Same here!

I have done the raid thing in several MMOs and have had my fill. EQ was my first love and I have bounced around many other games since, but chasing the new shiny has never really satisfied me. It took me a long time to understand what I was really looking for, but I feel I can recapture the social aspect I have been missing. Yes, there will be trolls, boxers, rmt, and the hardcore types who will lock down all the raid content, but I can ignore them because my goals are different.

Frankly, I find it odd that anybody would care about raiding in this game. The content is 16 years old, all the bosses have been beat. I can see the race to be the first to beat some new content in a new game, where you have to experiment and develop strategies, and in the end are rewarded with new loot. Here, nobody is going to be in awe nor jealous of stuff they have seen since 1999, and have seen more exciting stuff in every game since.

Maybe I am just not getting it and some people will see the end game as a big deal, but I think they will be the first to quit when the first month sub is up. In the end, I won't be disappointed if the population drops a lot, as long as many of those that remain are there for the same reason I am.

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101
    Originally posted by millux

Originally posted by baphamet

I would have to agree in some way with the OP, this is not a classic progression server, that being said, this is EQ without all the expacs, THAT is what many where after, to be able to start off without the ludicrous amount of content that left many of us lost when we have popped our heads back in EQ from time to time.

I don't give a toffee about what player killed what raid target and in how little time, it will not impact how I play, I never raided back when EQ started, and I will not miss raiding this time around, it's a part of the game I have no interest in playing, the drama associated with raid rotations, and then guilds ignoring them is just too much for this old man to deal with.

The progression clock has 6 months on EQ original before Kunark goes live, the ppl that killed raggy etc can do so each time they repop for the next 6 months, I'm sure many others will be joining them sooner or later.

So to recap, I came back not because of the progression, I came back because this is my chance to start from the first content release and to experience each and every expac there after, what anyone else does is their business.

BAM!! ^^^

Same here!

I have done the raid thing in several MMOs and have had my fill. EQ was my first love and I have bounced around many other games since, but chasing the new shiny has never really satisfied me. It took me a long time to understand what I was really looking for, but I feel I can recapture the social aspect I have been missing. Yes, there will be trolls, boxers, rmt, and the hardcore types who will lock down all the raid content, but I can ignore them because my goals are different.

Frankly, I find it odd that anybody would care about raiding in this game. The content is 16 years old, all the bosses have been beat. I can see the race to be the first to beat some new content in a new game, where you have to experiment and develop strategies, and in the end are rewarded with new loot. Here, nobody is going to be in awe nor jealous of stuff they have seen since 1999, and have seen more exciting stuff in every game since.

Maybe I am just not getting it and some people will see the end game as a big deal, but I think they will be the first to quit when the first month sub is up. In the end, I won't be disappointed if the population drops a lot, as long as many of those that remain are there for the same reason I am.

I was interested but I started reading about the camp checks and how I thought back to the hours I wasted on a waiting list to do something like High Keep at one point and let's not even talk about Sol B and I think I just cannot do that anymore. I think I was able to only then because I knew I had no other choice. I am not saying that I want instances or any such thing. I want to play like before ,run around meet random people and go start a camp for orcs or goblins but I cannot imagine not doing the dungeons and raids and if there is only one server there will be a huge amount of camping and probably I will have to wait and wait to do content.

I remember when I played Everquest people passed camps in dungeons from one group to another (often in the same guild) so you had to wait on a list and often at a whim the person in charge could decide they did not want you. This was something that never sat well with me as a wizard but having an only server with it packed this issue must be really bad. It was all very proprietary and it worked because I had never played any other game.

I do want to play, P99 is a no go after what I read about it. Sounds like a few guilds control things in there. No thanks. Bad enough on Bertoxxulous when I played in 1999/2000 and onwards when powerful guilds controlled stuff. Having one person control a random camp and then banning you if you trespass sounds like P99 is not for me. How do you find content in a crowded place ? In the old days of Everquest it worked mainly because it was not so crowded even then you had the occasional necromancer which took a whole room in Guk and kept people out.

I am hoping to just play for nostalgia but it does not look like the old Everquest ,its the new build of Freeport am I not right ? They changed the graphics on some cities and isn't that what is on this new server?

Chamber of Chains
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Originally posted by Alders
    I personally don't get progression servers. It's like starting all over with 15 years of knowledge and knowing all the most efficient ways of doing everything. All the danger and excitement is essentially gone and the experience relies too heavily on nostalgia.  

You SHOULD get it,like 100% should get it,it is nothing more than a cash grab.Over MANY years we have seen this strategy work because 99% of the gamer's are playing like it is a race,so it is like a new race they lost last time and want to prove they can win this time.

Personally i would not support EQ1 at all,i can get a MUCH better FFXI which i am currently playing,that is bigger,better in every way and looks better.Also has more content ideas which imo is the tipping stone,as i cannot simply do the same thing over and over,i like some options to different game play.Yes there is likely going to be a LOT of players in EQ1 that do nothing but raid over and over and over and do nothing else.

Nostalgia can NEVER be like it was because in the beginning there are a lot of solo players who have not yet formed guilds or friends,so they form groups with random players and make friends.An idea like this is just going to get established groups going in to raid 99% of the time,no interaction with anyone else,making it a pointless idea other than to the developer making money.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101
    Thanks DM for the time being sticking to Wildstar and my anime. 
    Chamber of Chains
  • syriinxsyriinx Member UncommonPosts: 1,383
    Originally posted by Wizardry

You SHOULD get it,like 100% should get it,it is nothing more than a cash grab.Over MANY years we have seen this strategy work because 99% of the gamer's are playing like it is a race,so it is like a new race they lost last time and want to prove they can win this time.

Personally i would not support EQ1 at all,i can get a MUCH better FFXI which i am currently playing,that is bigger,better in every way and looks better.Also has more content ideas which imo is the tipping stone,as i cannot simply do the same thing over and over,i like some options to different game play.Yes there is likely going to be a LOT of players in EQ1 that do nothing but raid over and over and over and do nothing else.

Nostalgia can NEVER be like it was because in the beginning there are a lot of solo players who have not yet formed guilds or friends,so they form groups with random players and make friends.An idea like this is just going to get established groups going in to raid 99% of the time,no interaction with anyone else,making it a pointless idea other than to the developer making money.

MMORPGs in general are by definition a cash grab.  The EQ progression is no less a cash grab than FFXI's existence is.  

The number of players that are interested in the race on progression servers is closer to 1% than 99%.

And sorry, while FFXI does have a great grouping experience overall EQ1 is better.  Deeper classes, better group mechanics in general.  This isnt necessarily true of rageFire or P1999, but true of current EQ.

And no, Vana'diel is not bigger than Norrath

Originally posted by DMKano
    Originally posted by syriinx
    Originally posted by Wizardry

MMORPGs in general are by definition a cash grab.  The EQ progression is no less a cash grab than FFXI's existence is.  

The number of players that are interested in the race on progression servers is closer to 1% than 99%.

And sorry, while FFXI does have a great grouping experience overall EQ1 is better.  Deeper classes, better group mechanics in general.  This isnt necessarily true of rageFire or P1999, but true of current EQ.

And no, Vana'diel is not bigger than Norrath

You have a very peculiar definition of "cash grab" 

Whats peculiar is that doing something every 2 or 3 years that is very widely requested by the players is being considered some act of greed.

Not to mention at the same time they have endorsed the main competition to the server when they probably could have had it shut down.

There are certainly many things done by DBG (and most MMORPG companies, if not all) that are greed driven, trying to get a quick buck for minimal effort and value.  But Ragefire is not one of these.

But the point of making an MMORPG in the first place is to make money, and if Ragefire wasnt going to make them money they wouldnt do it (much like SE wouldnt keep FFXI running if it wasnt making them money too)

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

Originally posted by syriinx Originally posted by DMKano Originally posted by syriinx Originally posted by Wizardry Originally posted by Alders I personally don't get progression servers. It's like starting all over with 15 years of knowledge and knowing all the most efficient ways of doing everything. All the danger and excitement is essentially gone and the experience relies too heavily on nostalgia.  
    You SHOULD get it,like 100% should get it,it is nothing more than a cash grab.Over MANY years we have seen this strategy work because 99% of the gamer's are playing like it is a race,so it is like a new race they lost last time and want to prove they can win this time. Personally i would not support EQ1 at all,i can get a MUCH better FFXI which i am currently playing,that is bigger,better in every way and looks better.Also has more content ideas which imo is the tipping stone,as i cannot simply do the same thing over and over,i like some options to different game play.Yes there is likely going to be a LOT of players in EQ1 that do nothing but raid over and over and over and do nothing else. Nostalgia can NEVER be like it was because in the beginning there are a lot of solo players who have not yet formed guilds or friends,so they form groups with random players and make friends.An idea like this is just going to get established groups going in to raid 99% of the time,no interaction with anyone else,making it a pointless idea other than to the developer making money.
    MMORPGs in general are by definition a cash grab.  The EQ progression is no less a cash grab than FFXI's existence is.   The number of players that are interested in the race on progression servers is closer to 1% than 99%. And sorry, while FFXI does have a great grouping experience overall EQ1 is better.  Deeper classes, better group mechanics in general.  This isnt necessarily true of rageFire or P1999, but true of current EQ.   And no, Vana'diel is not bigger than Norrath  
    You have a very peculiar definition of "cash grab"       
    Whats peculiar is that doing something every 2 or 3 years that is very widely requested by the players is being considered some act of greed. Not to mention at the same time they have endorsed the main competition to the server when they probably could have had it shut down.   There are certainly many things done by DBG (and most MMORPG companies, if not all) that are greed driven, trying to get a quick buck for minimal effort and value.  But Ragefire is not one of these.   But the point of making an MMORPG in the first place is to make money, and if Ragefire wasnt going to make them money they wouldnt do it (much like SE wouldnt keep FFXI running if it wasnt making them money too)
    Don't take this personally as the article has some stupid name calling that is not directed at you, but read the gist of it - 'cash grab' is overused and poorly understood.

Yes the article pertains to movies, but applies to games just as well.

http://thisisinfamous.com/just-admit-really-dont-know-cash-grab-means/

i didn't click the link but i agree, people act like making money = cash grab. in this case, they tried to give the fans what they wanted and of course they are in it to make money.

to me a cash grab would be some of these new kickstarter games that may have good ideas but are just looking for a quick easy buck.

• kjempffkjempff Member RarePosts: 1,759

Progression server, phase 2 .. The whinening and complainening.

This is how all progression servers have been, if you are surpriced you either weren't reading posts here or didn't understand it.

Progression is not classic, you will only enjoy it if you accept what it is now. If you want pure oldschool including all the bad things that were actually improved later on, go p99. Progression gets much more fun after kunark, so for me atleast I am only playing a month now for giggles, and will return once it gets more interesting.

Lvl 50ies in 2-3days, downing vox/naggy.. If you bothered to listen, this was predicted aswell.. The same thing happened on last progression servers, and gasp some people still enjoyed it... Many were wictims to phase 2 aswell, nothing new..

Move along to p99 or other games because Daybreak can't (rumour says they don't have the old code anymore), and won't attempt to produce a classic experience (that would likely cost many times more to do than thay would ever get from subs).

Phase 2, the whinening will last for a month to be replaced by ...

Phase 3, the pressuring ... Where the players who actually play the game will try to get the stupid 6 month timelock undone. There is just about 1 maybe 2 months max of content in classic-kunarl-velious even for a casual player. The only thing that could hold this back is overcrowding, so players can't get their armor.. And behold, instead of splitting servers, Daybreak increase the number of players a server can hold - That is classic.

Don't take this personally as the article has some stupid name calling that is not directed at you, but read the gist of it - 'cash grab' is overused and poorly understood.

Yes the article pertains to movies, but applies to games just as well.

http://thisisinfamous.com/just-admit-really-dont-know-cash-grab-means/

Im actually in agreement with you on this.  I was basically saying that if ragefire is a cash grab, then so is FFXI.  Which is a reasonable statement as neither are really cash grabs in the real spirit of the phrase.

If you look at the middle of my last post, I alluded to i would consider a cash grab: releasing low quality or low effort content with minimal value to make a quick buck.

Regardless of the issues with the EQ progression server, I wouldn't consider them in that category at all.

Originally posted by kjempff

Phase 3, the pressuring ... Where the players who actually play the game will try to get the stupid 6 month timelock undone. There is just about 1 maybe 2 months max of content in classic-kunarl-velious even for a casual player. The only thing that could hold this back is overcrowding, so players can't get their armor.. And behold, instead of splitting servers, Daybreak increase the number of players a server can hold - That is classic.

The reason they did this was so they would have one moderately populated server in a few years instead of two lightly populated ones.

Having two servers and merging them later makes more sense to me, but people would probably whine even worse about that. 

• kjempffkjempff Member RarePosts: 1,759
    Originally posted by syriinx
    Originally posted by kjempff

The reason they did this was so they would have one moderately populated server in a few years instead of two lightly populated ones.

Having two servers and merging them later makes more sense to me, but people would probably whine even worse about that. 

Last progression worked well with two servers, players were able to do their thing atleast twice as able as if it were oone server. Afaik people were expecting a merge around pop and I heard not much complaining about it. I am surpriced fippy and vulak never merged. There is only one thing that could be an issue is if servers didn't unlock at the same pace.. Vulak and fippy were a week apart at pop, so that would not have been a real issue.