Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

wtf is going on with mmorpg gamers...

Comments

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392

OP

Why the cursing ?

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by Muke
    Originally posted by Phertias

Wildstar is the best MMORPG out there by far

But people dont want the "EQ-Type" (Not WoW-Clone, WoW is a clone and you all know it) 

People want something new and they have gotten it. Its called MOBA´s. Deal with it

I play a total sandbox MMO for over 12 years now, I like PVP and PVE, PVP I like solo and mass fights can end up in battles up to 3000 ppl or more.

Ok Wildstar: installing it, hmm cartoony graphics, and hey, yet another levelbased gear grinder linear themepark ending in raids.

Apart from the humor: "seen that, been there, done that" feeling.

Quite honestly you can say that about 95% of the games out. But each game has it's own appeal that makes it slightly or dramatically different, depending on your perspective.

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935
    Originally posted by Phry
    Originally posted by Raquis

same crap as WOW,just boring quest grinding!

WOW would be worth the price if it had no subscription.

And yet over 7 million do think it is worth the price of subscription, i think the problem with Wildstar was never the subscription model anyway, if a game is good enough then people will pay the subscription to play it. Some games do work fairly well as F2P, but, then you will always get people who complain about the pay walls, as with P2P games, if the game is good enough, then people will pay to access those features/content that is behind the pay walls. 

If a game is no good, regardless of whether its P2P B2P or F2P, the players will vote with their feet, as was demonstrated by Wildstars player base fairly succinctly.image

Yet how many of those 7 million just keep their sub for fear of letting go?  Didn't we see another thread here recently pop up where a decent portion admitted they don't play but keep their sub active?

• MalviousMalvious Member UncommonPosts: 218
    Originally posted by crimzonxskyz

meaning everytime you think you've attained something or achieved something great something even GREATER comes out and yet again you are left doing the SAME repetitive bee worker job.

Welcome to every mmo out there.

Fine, we'll compromise. I'll get my way & you'll find a way to be okay with that.

• HellidolHellidol Member UncommonPosts: 476
    Originally posted by ste2000
    Originally posted by Kaladin
    Originally posted by carotid
    Because Wildstar  +  WoW = Same  s h i t  different day.

In what way is Wilstar like WoW?

I will give you my complete list to get you started:

1. Cartoonish Art Style
    2. MMORPG

3 - Quest hub grindfest

4- Hardcore Raids (Vanilla WoW)

6- Tokens grind

7- Extremely linear progression

8- Cute/funny quests

9- Gear centric (see number 4)

10 - Same skill system

11 - Same point and click combat (learn your rotation and you are good to go)

It's a long time since I played it, so I don't remember everything, but I am sure that if I login for few hours I can add few more points to the list.

This game is as close as Vanilla WoW as it possibly gets...............still I prefer WoW any day.

Your 10 and 11 shows that you didnt play it much because that just isnt true. The rest of it is pretty spot on, the combat is much more challenging compared to WoW

• Choda88Choda88 Member UncommonPosts: 17

I downloaded their trial and they improve their game but it's still boring. No voices turn me off too and it looks like it's made for kids. I have 26 years and it's not fun at all when that guy calling me cupcake. Just... wtf!? I still having blast in WoW, since I love every aspect of that game. Anyway, when this game goes F2P I will do my best to level to end game but I already tried that few times and couldn't get past level 30... I always get bored by then.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

And yet over 7 million do think it is worth the price of subscription, i think the problem with Wildstar was never the subscription model anyway, if a game is good enough then people will pay the subscription to play it. Some games do work fairly well as F2P, but, then you will always get people who complain about the pay walls, as with P2P games, if the game is good enough, then people will pay to access those features/content that is behind the pay walls. 

If a game is no good, regardless of whether its P2P B2P or F2P, the players will vote with their feet, as was demonstrated by Wildstars player base fairly succinctly.image

Maybe 2 million in the west, 3 at the most the other 4-5 mill get counted as a sub for logging in at a coffee shop. You knew that though image

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • doodphacedoodphace Member UncommonPosts: 1,858
    Originally posted by bcbully

Maybe 2 million in the west, 3 at the most the other 4-5 mill get counted as a sub for logging in at a coffee shop. You knew that though image

Are you seriously trying to imply that SWTOR has a player count larger than than half of WoW's western players?

....btw...who cares if they login for 2 min in a coffee shop, or 6 hours in a basement....the fact remains that at least 7 million people are loging into WoW monthly.

• NitetasiaNitetasia Member UncommonPosts: 29

After reading a lot of comments/replies to this thread, most of those that speak poorly on wildstar, have not played it after drop 5...

This game really needs a 2nd chance. It really has changed and is getting better all the time.

(This does not apply to those that don't like the graphics or other things that apply to the style of wildstar, seeing as it is an opinion on taste and there is no point in arguing that.)

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by Nitetasia

After reading a lot of comments/replies to this thread, most of those that speak poorly on wildstar, have not played it after drop 5...

This game really needs a 2nd chance. It really has changed and is getting better all the time.

(This does not apply to those that don't like the graphics or other things that apply to the style of wildstar, seeing as it is an opinion on taste and there is no point in arguing that.)

Perhaps the game does need a second chance, the question though, is does it deserve one? in the end if it does, it will be decided by the players themselves, and we'll see it reflected in the number of players still playing the game in 2 or 3 months time.image

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by doodphace

Are you seriously trying to imply that SWTOR has a player count larger than than half of WoW's western players?

....btw...who cares if they login for 2 min in a coffee shop, or 6 hours in a basement....the fact remains that at least 7 million people are loging into WoW monthly.

Seeing as Blizzard has to publish their financials, its pretty easy to look at those figures and see BC's 'guesstimates' are about as far from the truth as you can possibly get. That Blizzard has no problem with publishing their figures, even when they have shown such a steep decline, does give them a lot of credence, unlike certain other games where they announce dubious figures with no real legitimacy, all this is pretty much by the by, and rather than get into a pointless argument over whether Blizzard is telling they truth or not, its really about Wildstar, and all distractions aside, i personally don't feel that whether the game was F2P or P2P, even B2P, was ever the issue, what is the issue is more fundamental, and unless they really have changed their game that much, i don't really see how going F2P will change things for the better.image

• CazrielCazriel Member RarePosts: 419
    Originally posted by doodphace

Seeing as Blizzard has to publish their financials, its pretty easy to look at those figures and see BC's 'guesstimates' are about as far from the truth as you can possibly get. That Blizzard has no problem with publishing their figures, even when they have shown such a steep decline, does give them a lot of credence, unlike certain other games where they announce dubious figures with no real legitimacy, all this is pretty much by the by, and rather than get into a pointless argument over whether Blizzard is telling they truth or not, its really about Wildstar, and all distractions aside, i personally don't feel that whether the game was F2P or P2P, even B2P, was ever the issue, what is the issue is more fundamental, and unless they really have changed their game that much, i don't really see how going F2P will change things for the better.image

It may not be true in other countries, but in the United States a publicly traded company must file reports with the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) regarding its assets, worth, outstanding stock, major stock ownership, profits and loss.  All SEC filings are public record and readily available to anyone.  Moreover, Blizzard reports to its shareholders (people who own stock in the company; that is, they own the company) on a quarterly basis and this is where the data regarding WoW's subscription ups and downs comes from.  So there's no "guessing"; there's no misrepresentation; there's no lying.   If Blizzard fudged and said they lost 3 million subs when they really lost 5 million, they'd be sued and that would be much worse than losing 5 million subs.  This is because if Blizzard misled its investors by overstating its subscription base or its quarterly profits and loss, that is fraud.   Which, if true, would be the end of Blizzard.  

So while commenters here may not agree with the methodology that Blizzard uses in determining its subscription base, they aren't lying about their income, profits or losses to their investors. 

As for Wildstar, it's a niche game purposely developed for a relatively small sector of the MMO world whose developers swallowed their own hype and  were deceived into thinking their game was mainstream and tried to make it so.   Once it goes F2P it may well find the audience it deserves. 

• majimaji Member UncommonPosts: 2,091
    Sure, Wildstar is a nice game. But there are awesome games out there. Not necessarily MMORPGs, but still... "Nice" is not good enough.

Let's play Fallen Earth (blind, 300 episodes)

Let's play Guild Wars 2 (blind, 45 episodes)

• SquishydewSquishydew Member UncommonPosts: 1,107

Wildstar is to similar to WoW for me to care.

I felt bored playing it for just 2 hours, fun should be the entire experience, not just the endgame.

WoW leveling was fun for  me, because it felt new, in wildstar it feels old and the same. ( Only played Runescape before that, didn't get to experience things like EQ and Swtor )

I'm not saying Wildstar is bad by any means, It probably is better then WoW, but I've been there and done that and want something new, i just couldn't get into it.

Probably doesn't help either that I'm really not into sci-fi themes.

• sketocafesketocafe Member UncommonPosts: 950
    WoW players already play WoW, they don't need WoW 2.0. People burnt out on WoW don't want WoW 2.0. People who were never interested in WoW don't want WoW 2.0 either. The market spot these guys were aiming for was already filled.
  • BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    Exactly so ^^ now if somehow wildstar allowed players to import they achievment record and bank full of useless stuff and armor (i.e maintain their perceived prestige) then yes wildstar would have been a much more attractive option for wow players, but ofc that ain't happening.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• BraindomeBraindome Member UncommonPosts: 959

People are so easily deterred by the $59.99 entry fee they often miss out on great opportunities that are right in their face for only $14.99 a month.

There, fixed a couple of things for you as you seemed to be missing the reason why people felt that way so largely and on a whole.

Wildstar launched in a F2P market with a very high sticker price and really just didn't have enough to show for it "plus a very lackluster beta", though now that it's about to go F2P you will see a rather large influx of players no doubt. Still doubt it will have enough to keep a large majority though as there are many even newer options now and many existing players complained of things such as heavy handed raiding, but at least maybe now you understand a little bit better why it didn't do so well among other things.

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521

Did post-drop 5 changes shake up the game that much? I'm honestly asking because I stopped playing due to the too familiar gameplay that is like ___ Online.  The combat was great and healing the most fun I've played but the linear quest and adventure points got stale really quick.  If the new-ish WS is less so I may be more excited about it.

• moraelinmoraelin Member UncommonPosts: 42

If the only thing you're going to compare it to is WoW..you've lost me. If you're going to defend NCSoft after what they did to City of Heroes/Villains, you lost me twice. Guess what..I'll never find my way home now..thanks :)

• NitetasiaNitetasia Member UncommonPosts: 29

Originally posted by Aelious

Did post-drop 5 changes shake up the game that much? I'm honestly asking because I stopped playing due to the too familiar gameplay that is like ___ Online.  The combat was great and healing the most fun I've played but the linear quest and adventure points got stale really quick.  If the new-ish WS is less so I may be more excited about it.

I really cant say they fixed the linear questing, but they have been making improvements to lower leveling. However, i can say that Tree of Savior may have the questing your looking for. TOSbase.com, if you havent seen the game yet, thats a good place to find things out about it. :) But to answer your question, yes drop 5 did a lot of good for the game, and more and more people are coming back, and are staying because of the changes. The only thing people are (were before the FTP news) was the population because most dont want to give it another chance. I really believe that this is what WS needs and will be around for a long time, as long as they keep improving the way they are now.

Originally posted by moraelin

If the only thing you're going to compare it to is WoW..you've lost me. If you're going to defend NCSoft after what they did to City of Heroes/Villains, you lost me twice. Guess what..I'll never find my way home now..thanks :)

The only thing I would say WS is like WOW is in the way they did the mapping and texturing of objects & characters but Rose Online also uses that same look just with chibi anime characters. If I had to put two games together, it would be like Rift mixed with a little tera battle. I would also like to ask why is it that everyone using NCsoft as a way to put down WS? Yes I dont care for NCsoft, and believe WS would have done better with a different publisher, but dont use it as a way to put the game down itself and not give it a chance once it goes FTP.
  • jeradljeradl Member UncommonPosts: 31

Wildstar with all of its little flaws is such a great game.. and the only potential it is lacking is the support of a fan base that would throttle this game into some really great online experiences for people...

I see a quality game thats way ahead of its time as far as progression mmorpg experiences go... this game has so much potential and the only thing holding it back is a loyal fan base of players...

People are so easily deterred by the negative opinions of others they often miss out on great opportunities that are right in their face.

This game blows WoWs D$%# out of the %@^!ing Water people... wtf is WRONG WITH YOU GOSH ( Face palm ) lol .. Ive played wow since vanilla and I just cant understand how people are still sold on that mindless grind for expired glory... - meaning everytime you think you've attained something or achieved something great something even GREATER comes out and yet again you are left doing the SAME repetitive bee worker job.

Rant over

PS - NCSOFT : Dont give up on this game yet...

It's funny cause the problem you complain about is yourself but you don't realize it. You started mmorgs with WoW. The entire WoW mmorg generation is the problem and companies continuing to try to cater to them is a problem. Your entire idea of what a good game is is based off that one piece of junk. Yet you are just now beginning to grow beyond it and want better. Wildstar is nothing but a sci fi WoW. Big crap cartoon graphics, handheld questing, big shiny lights pointing the way, and grind for faction/gear/etc.. The people playing WoW don't want to play anything else (mostly) and the one's not playing it don't want anything like it. Double fail for WoWstar. Noone outside of WoW wants that big cartoony childish gameplay and yet due to their financial success catering to kids most other mmorg dev teams continue to try to recreate it with a twist that ends up being the same polished turd that neither crowd of mmorg players wants. Had you actually started playing mmorgs when they were good back with Everquest and Dark Ages of Camelot you would then understand what good graphics, questing, and gameplay are and why WoW and any potential clones fail so hard. Until they give us what we want instead of trying to clone that junk they will continue to fail. There is hope in the future though with Camelot Unchained. The best idea I can give you now of what it was like to play the old mmorgs is to go play the single player game Witcher 3 now with it's unrestrained open world questing and the immersion it gives you in the world. Given the graphics are far better than what we had back then but the feel it gives you of exploration/immersion is the same. That is what needs to come back to mmorgs. Good graphics along with good explorative immersive nonlinear gameplay that doesn't look like it came out of a cartoon.

• simpliussimplius Member UncommonPosts: 1,134
    Originally posted by jeradl

Wildstar with all of its little flaws is such a great game.. and the only potential it is lacking is the support of a fan base that would throttle this game into some really great online experiences for people...

I see a quality game thats way ahead of its time as far as progression mmorpg experiences go... this game has so much potential and the only thing holding it back is a loyal fan base of players...

People are so easily deterred by the negative opinions of others they often miss out on great opportunities that are right in their face.

This game blows WoWs D$%# out of the %@^!ing Water people... wtf is WRONG WITH YOU GOSH ( Face palm ) lol .. Ive played wow since vanilla and I just cant understand how people are still sold on that mindless grind for expired glory... - meaning everytime you think you've attained something or achieved something great something even GREATER comes out and yet again you are left doing the SAME repetitive bee worker job.

Rant over

PS - NCSOFT : Dont give up on this game yet...

It's funny cause the problem you complain about is yourself but you don't realize it. You started mmorgs with WoW. The entire WoW mmorg generation is the problem and companies continuing to try to cater to them is a problem. Your entire idea of what a good game is is based off that one piece of junk. Yet you are just now beginning to grow beyond it and want better. Wildstar is nothing but a sci fi WoW. Big crap cartoon graphics, handheld questing, big shiny lights pointing the way, and grind for faction/gear/etc.. The people playing WoW don't want to play anything else (mostly) and the one's not playing it don't want anything like it. Double fail for WoWstar. Noone outside of WoW wants that big cartoony childish gameplay and yet due to their financial success catering to kids most other mmorg dev teams continue to try to recreate it with a twist that ends up being the same polished turd that neither crowd of mmorg players wants. Had you actually started playing mmorgs when they were good back with Everquest and Dark Ages of Camelot you would then understand what good graphics, questing, and gameplay are and why WoW and any potential clones fail so hard. Until they give us what we want instead of trying to clone that junk they will continue to fail. There is hope in the future though with Camelot Unchained. The best idea I can give you now of what it was like to play the old mmorgs is to go play the single player game Witcher 3 now with it's unrestrained open world questing and the immersion it gives you in the world. Given the graphics are far better than what we had back then but the feel it gives you of exploration/immersion is the same. That is what needs to come back to mmorgs. Good graphics along with good explorative immersive nonlinear gameplay that doesn't look like it came out of a cartoon.

wrong. most wow players play other mmos too..often several mmos

you may not  like it, but a REAL wow mk. 2 would sell like hot chocolate on a Cold day(hint: the old wow is still the king)

if they had matched the gameplay to the Graphics, they wouldnt have been in this mess

TERA has wonderful Graphics..they went F2P too

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872

I checked in for a few hours to see how far the performance has come. To my surprise, the game runs much better than back when i left it and FPS has doubled/trippled for me.

Seems like Carbine really worked something out here, but then my pc also got a huge upgrade a few month ago -so i don't know what contributes more to the now improved performance. It hit like 80-100 fps with everything on max on 1920x1080 but still here and there the game suddenly drops to 30-40.

Too bad that to my eyes Wildstar is one of these games that look quite choppy once it drops to ~40fps and the twitchy gameplay gives me a headache if it's not absolutely fluid.

The game is back on my radar and hopefully the move to F2P will bring back some players. I only met 2 people while i played.

• KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    I must say I'm disappointed with the fact that it's going f2p, but then again it can't survive on the semi-sub model it has going now either, so it's a matter of necessity.
  • JDis25JDis25 Member RarePosts: 1,353
    Originally posted by Amjoco
    Originally posted by Maquiame

Sadly... I'm playing on the PvP server alone in all my glorious acts to go unnoticed by the likes of you all squandering to find your lovely perfect mmorpg ...

All in all... I find it funny that ncsoft is pushing BnS after so many years of being left in the dark about the project... I think they would be better off polishing up Wildstar and trying to optimize certain settings for those of you who's rigs are not fully capable of playing with the settings you currently have been trying to run the game at...

I'm in full support of WS...

dying player base or not.. I'll be in wildstar on the pvp server Warface Howlskar - COME GANK ME I DARE YA ... no really though do it lollllllllllll .. im ... on deradune :o lol

ciao mates

_______________________________________________________________________________

NUT SHOT  to the Haters!

I'm glad you enjoy it,  but I'm TEN times more interested in Blade and Soul because its something new unlike Sci fi flavored WoW/WS

And to quote the immortal Chris Rock:

"New p*ssy is better than old p*ssy"

I'm not sure Blade and Soul will be "new", it's been done before on so many levels.  To me it's another asian WoW clone and everyone wants to play it because they can't have it. If it's as good as FFXIV:ARR I will give it a try though! :)

I would say it's at least equal to FFXIV. Dungeons in blade and soul are insanely fun.

Now Playing: Bless / Summoners War
    Looking forward to: Crowfall / Lost Ark / Black Desert Mobile