Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is it worth it?

2»

Comments

• seamonkey001seamonkey001 Member UncommonPosts: 87
    Originally posted by hockeyplayr
    I too had the same idea as you, only I didn't do any reading beforehand.  I have now spent all my time spamming the log in button just trying to play. 

Who are you talking about here hockeyplayr? If it is me i am sorry, hahaha!

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654
    Originally posted by Alcuin

Titanium can be hard to find.  It's expensive for copies on ebay and amazon.  Although most people try to say to get it on the "swashbuckler" site (that shall not be named), my personal experiences doing so have left me restoring my hard drive to get rid of some sort of malaware or virus.  

Admittedly, I'm not the most technologically knowledgeable.   Any ideas or direction?

The people hosting Titanium at this point are fans, like you and me, they wouldn't knowingly put a virus on it.

Just a tip.

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654
    Originally posted by Keeno
    Actually I got warned then got aggro from a mob going to zone just to be slain by admin saying I took one of him mobs and then banned. But yea fun time in p99, I wonder if first person to show up to those week long dragon spawns get first pickins... most likely.

Well on their server rules list https://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1057 it mentions that you should respect camps, I have accidentally attacked things others were camping before and they let me know and I left them alone,  You can ask for a 'camp check' in /yell to see whos claimed what.

However, I really doubt you were banned without warning, as many people claim that, but I've never seen anyone banned from a game without warning in my 15 years of MMO playing, with the exception of Mortal Online GM's being caught playing favorites.

I keep reading more and more on how Everquest is now compared to what it used to be and I am getting turned off by it. I was hoping to experience a game that you have to work together as a team to defeat the game, not a bunch of people that prey upon the newcomers to exploit them. Or am I reading into this too much? It seems like what people miss the most about Everquest is the feeling of becoming a group of adventurers set forth to complete a quest that benefits the whole. Kind of like experiencing a novel that you are directly involved in.

In addition: If you feel like I should give it a shot, what server do you recommend?

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

Originally posted by seamonkey001
    I keep reading more and more on how Everquest is now compared to what it used to be and I am getting turned off by it. I was hoping to experience a game that you have to work together as a team to defeat the game, not a bunch of people that prey upon the newcomers to exploit them. Or am I reading into this too much? It seems like what people miss the most about Everquest is the feeling of becoming a group of adventurers set forth to complete a quest that benefits the whole. Kind of like experiencing a novel that you are directly involved in. In addition: If you feel like I should give it a shot, what server do you recommend?

not sure why this thread is still going. you already indicated that you cannot afford a sub right now so either find titanium online and try p99 yourself for free or just download and play for free on one of the live servers and make the determination yourself.

those are your options. also, even though the game is called "everquest" you don't do a lot of quests in the game, you level up by killing mobs.

it does seem like you want to see what classic was like and p99 is as close to that as you are going to get. but like i said before, just know that it will be difficult compared to modern mmo's.

Originally posted by baphamet

I keep reading more and more on how Everquest is now compared to what it used to be and I am getting turned off by it. I was hoping to experience a game that you have to work together as a team to defeat the game, not a bunch of people that prey upon the newcomers to exploit them. Or am I reading into this too much? It seems like what people miss the most about Everquest is the feeling of becoming a group of adventurers set forth to complete a quest that benefits the whole. Kind of like experiencing a novel that you are directly involved in.

In addition: If you feel like I should give it a shot, what server do you recommend?

not sure why this thread is still going. you already indicated that you cannot afford a sub right now so either find titanium online and try p99 yourself for free or just download and play for free on one of the live servers and make the determination yourself.

those are your options. also, even though the game is called "everquest" you don't do a lot of quests in the game, you level up by killing mobs.

it does seem like you want to see what classic was like and p99 is as close to that as you are going to get. but like i said before, just know that it will be difficult compared to modern mmo's.

baphamet.

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

Originally posted by baphamet   Originally posted by seamonkey001 I keep reading more and more on how Everquest is now compared to what it used to be and I am getting turned off by it. I was hoping to experience a game that you have to work together as a team to defeat the game, not a bunch of people that prey upon the newcomers to exploit them. Or am I reading into this too much? It seems like what people miss the most about Everquest is the feeling of becoming a group of adventurers set forth to complete a quest that benefits the whole. Kind of like experiencing a novel that you are directly involved in.     In addition: If you feel like I should give it a shot, what server do you recommend?
      not sure why this thread is still going. you already indicated that you cannot afford a sub right now so either find titanium online and try p99 yourself for free or just download and play for free on one of the live servers and make the determination yourself. those are your options. also, even though the game is called "everquest" you don't do a lot of quests in the game, you level up by killing mobs. it does seem like you want to see what classic was like and p99 is as close to that as you are going to get. but like i said before, just know that it will be difficult compared to modern mmo's.
    baphamet.

its fine, but IMO the best way to see if you are going to like something is try it for free yourself. i normally do not recommend EQ to friends that are fairly new to mmo's because usually they end up not liking it.

i don't blame them either.

• seraphis79seraphis79 Member UncommonPosts: 312

At this time paying to play EQ on the new progression server is absolutely not worth it.  If you don't have more than 3 hours a day to play don't bother.  You will spend at least 40 minutes in queue waiting to get logged in.  Once you are in, you will have to compete for every mob you want to kill. Want to get a group in a dungeon?  You're going to be competing with boxed mage groups.

• darkhalf357xdarkhalf357x Member UncommonPosts: 1,237

EQ is a grouping game, meaning you cannot solo much of the content without some dedication and serious effort and then you will hit some walls.  The game has changed since its inception and the best incarnation (that I personally enjoy) is the new Time Locked Progression servers.  This is effectively current EQ (with all its bells and whistles) locked to classic with voting to unlock each expansion (thus the progression).  But this server requires a subscription.

EQ Live servers give an experience closer to today's MMOs (as much as can be done in a 15 year old MMO).

Be warned it requires patience and long commitment to reap its rewards, much of which players today are unwilling to do based on what's popular in this age.

• AlleinAllein Member RarePosts: 2,139
    How much time are you looking to spend? EQ was the most time leaching mmo that I've ever played. Outside of Eastern grinders, not sure if any others are equal, now or back then.

Overall the game is rather simple and if you've "mastered" modern mmos, it might not be that exciting. It takes FOREVER to do just about anything, but that was what made it charming I guess.

I'd watch some videos (reviews or lets play) on P99 or just EQ to get an idea of what it's like.

You really need a lot of time to play though, unless you're just looking for something to do once in a while with no real goals in mind.
  • herculeshercules Member UncommonPosts: 4,924
    played the new servers and had a blast till i got to end game and realised i still needed to stay awake at 2am to hear someone scream boss A is up we need to go before guild B gets there!
    often getting there boss is dead and will not be up for 1 week!
    when we get there first, its a simple tank and nuke thing over quickly as long as tank lives .
    think on the normal servers its better though due to instanced content
  • HothloveHothlove Member UncommonPosts: 126
    I would not recommend playing eq this day. You will have to play for months on the regular servers before catching up and if you play alone chances are that you will never make it.
    The progression servers has just never captured the original feeling cause the game is not new like many years ago and when you look a everquest compared to other mmo's out there, it is clumsy, too much of a hassle to play and I would rather recommend you play something like eq2 instead or if there ever is a vanguard soh private server go for that.

However if you don't mind the somewhat tedious aspects of everquest and find a good guild early you might really enjoy this game, afterall it's 10 times bigger than eq2 and lot's of things to see.
  • Harbinger1975Harbinger1975 Member UncommonPosts: 244
    There's one more thing about Everquest as well.  Speaking as a vet who played EQ in 1999, back before MMO's were "the thing" in EQ, there was a sense of community.  You actually had to go out of your way to make friends.  To ask for help.  You had to be courteous to your fellow EQ'er and not leave them for dead.  Everquest was very much a social game.

Unlike today.  Today, there is NO sense of community.  No sense of bonding with your fellow gamer.  Today, it's alot of hate and anonimoty and a big sense of "Me First!  Screw anyone else!"  There is no sense of learning anything.  Today's young gamers seem to not want to strive for that ultimate goal.  It's rush rush rush to the end and gimme because I was there first!

Everquest, the original (or in this case P1999), is not like that.  It's alot of learning.  Alot of being with your fellow gamer.  Alot of giving of yourself to benefit not just you, but others as well.  It's being kind.  It means...your reputation is you.  If you are a jerk, people will not be there for you.  They will spread the word and you will be a pariah in the game.

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    edited March 2016
    I have never played the game before, but I give it so much respect due to it being the grandfather of MMORPG's. Was wondering if it is still worth it to download, play, and get immersed into the game?
    No.

Hard to get into - check; touched upon but not mentioned is that having a community matters to gameplay not just social aspects. The game was designed, fundamenally, to make everything "time consuming". And buffs that others can cast on you can help a lot. (Not talking combat buffs).

Graphics: it isn't a "pretty" game today. Historically it used to run in a window on small low res monitors. Things improved over time and it no longer runs in a window etc. but there is only so much that can be done - and it shows and will, I believe, make immersion difficult.

Technological equivalent of an ancient and great civilisation. We might marvel at how advanced the houses were for the time ... and then go back to our mundane homes complete with the comforts of modern living. EQ1 was a giant civilisation; if you grew up there it will feel comforting but for most outsiders it will be tough.   
    Post edited by gervaise1 on
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    Take one of the free options with EQ, not worth paying for as a new player nowadays....Its nothing like we experienced in its hey day but can still be fun to a degree if the graphics and animations dont bother you.
  • lancemonlancemon Member UncommonPosts: 5
    I personally have played on all versions EQ, tried getting back into the "real" original servers a few times but the game is just too bloated at this time. If you don't already have a few friends playing there it can be really a pain in the ass, and the way things stand right now the game is being held hostage by people who make RL cash off of it. way more than in the old days, I might add. 

Like some others have said before me: If you are new to the game, it's better to check out a free emulator server instead. P2002 has a pretty easy to follow set up guide, and you won't have to find the Titanium client on some torrent side, it uses it's very own client. And the community is amazing!

http://p2002.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=40

I have also played P1999 for a while, it's a solid server with a high population, but being the most well known EQ Emu server out there has it's disadvantages: Bragging rights suddenly are super important to people. You wouldn't believe the kind of attitude people there display to get what they want; You might have fun leveling up but once you hit the end game you will be surrounded by hardcores. If that is your thing though, it's either P99 or one of the new TLP server

https://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2651