Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

wtf is going on with mmorpg gamers...

Comments

• doodphacedoodphace Member UncommonPosts: 1,858
    Originally posted by Kaladin
    Originally posted by ste2000
    Originally posted by Kaladin
    Originally posted by carotid
    Because Wildstar  +  WoW = Same  s h i t  different day.

In what way is Wilstar like WoW?

I will give you my complete list to get you started:

1. Cartoonish Art Style
    2. MMORPG

3 - Quest hub grindfest

4- Hardcore Raids (Vanilla WoW)

6- Tokens grind

7- Extremely linear progression

8- Cute/funny quests

9- Gear centric (see number 4)

10 - Same skill system

11 - Same point and click combat (learn your rotation and you are good to go)

It's a long time since I played it, so I don't remember everything, but I am sure that if I login for few hours I can add few more points to the list.

This game is as close as Vanilla WoW as it possibly gets...............still I prefer WoW any day.

3. Feature of almost every MMORPG

4. Difficult raiding is a WoW concept?

5. (what happened there?)

6. Tokens are to reduce the RNG on gear drops.  Sure it's a borrowed feature from WoW.

7. Feature of almost every MMORPG

8. I don't remember comedy in WoW

9. Feature of almost every MMORPG

10. WoW has a limited action set that you swap abilities in and out depending upon the encounter?

11. I'm not sure how Wildstar's combat could be much more different from WoW and still be in the same genre.

That's only because almost every MMORPG released in the last 10 years also copied WoW...

Also:

12: Queued Dungeon Finder (many MMOs do it, WoW did it first)

13: Queued PVP battlegrounds & Arenas

14: PVP Gear

The list is almost endless....to deny that Wildstar isn't "copying WoW" is almost as large a lie as the whole "40 man raiding will do well" nonsense everyone was saying before the game flopped lol.

• RasiemRasiem Member UncommonPosts: 318
    Ya man its best to just give it up and understand WIldstar is just a flop. It wasnt really good in any aspect and offered nothing new at all.
  • someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088
    Not much to argue. Apparently not enough people like Wildstar for whatever subjective reason. Just something you have to deal with, OP.  Personally I just asked myself what those devs were thinking when they expected that hardcore raiding accompanied with gear treadmill  would be popular. Sure, a niche, but not enough to keep your MMO afloat apparently.
  • EcocesEcoces Member UncommonPosts: 879

Why would i play WildStar when its basically WOW with an upgraded combat system.

when i can just play WoW

• cribettcribett Member UncommonPosts: 135
    no matter how great the game is i could never get past the art style it made me feel sick in the beta i couldn't even get out the starter zone
  • AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by Ecoces

Why would i play WildStar when its basically WOW with an upgraded combat system.

when i can just play WoW

I think you nailed just about every mmorpg on the market with that comment. I think it's to play something different...no one could stand playing only WoW forever, and games like Rift, WS, and SWTOR, break up the monotony. Every game has it's own lore, history, variations of race, classes and crafting, so it's fun to play them as well. 

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433

The only thing I know for sure about this game is that my eyes felt like they were about to pop out and my head hurt like hell after every session of it.

Something I've literally NEVER experienced in any game before.

Enough reason to drop it like a brick.

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

• svandysvandy Member UncommonPosts: 277

The more I read this thread, the more I realize there is absolutely no reason to engage in discussion about MMORPGs with the community. If its not WoW or GW2, its a piece of crap copy of one of them. It blows my mind how anyone could play Wildstar, and then turn around and say its a clone of WoW. If Wildstar is, GW2 is. All GW2 did was roll all of your quests from a quest hub into a "heart npc," or whatever its called. It still has quest hubs. Its still a quest grinder. The only difference between GW2 and WoW, based on the "logic," that proves Wildstar is a WoW clone, is that GW2 has no endgame at all.

I of course know this isnt true, GW2 is a great game, but it is silly to call every game you don't like a "WoW clone," when literally every game in the genre is a WoW clone, including the ones most people here play. It is hardly a criticism. I wish people would just be honest with themselves (and devs for that matter) and just admit they don't want to leave whatever game they are currently playing for something new, they instead want that game (read: WoW) to evolve, and then maybe those devs could use their talents on other styles of game. Even the survival genre, the one that replaced MMOs for me, is quickly becoming a "me too," genre and the decline in quality and the toxicity of the playerbase shows.

That said, I still believe Wildstar will turn a corner, and soon too. I will continue to enjoy it.

Please visit my youtube channel for some H1Z1/DayZ casual roleplay videos!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrQoK5VZlwBBzpsksmXtjMQ

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    Originally posted by svandy

The more I read this thread, the more I realize there is absolutely no reason to engage in discussion about MMORPGs with the community. If its not WoW or GW2, its a piece of crap copy of one of them. It blows my mind how anyone could play Wildstar, and then turn around and say its a clone of WoW. If Wildstar is, GW2 is. All GW2 did was roll all of your quests from a quest hub into a "heart npc," or whatever its called. It still has quest hubs. Its still a quest grinder. The only difference between GW2 and WoW, based on the "logic," that proves Wildstar is a WoW clone, is that GW2 has no endgame at all.

I of course know this isnt true, GW2 is a great game, but it is silly to call every game you don't like a "WoW clone," when literally every game in the genre is a WoW clone, including the ones most people here play. It is hardly a criticism. I wish people would just be honest with themselves (and devs for that matter) and just admit they don't want to leave whatever game they are currently playing for something new, they instead want that game (read: WoW) to evolve, and then maybe those devs could use their talents on other styles of game. Even the survival genre, the one that replaced MMOs for me, is quickly becoming a "me too," genre and the decline in quality and the toxicity of the playerbase shows.

That said, I still believe Wildstar will turn a corner, and soon too. I will continue to enjoy it.

I was in the beta for Wildstar and stopped playing after two weeks.  It felt exactly like I was playing WoW.  Other games have differences however subtle, Rift has souls you can switch and change from a DPS to healer, GW2 allows you to use several different types of weapons and has public quests.  Sure at their core they are all themepark, questhub grinders but there is enough difference to not feel like you are playing the exact same game as WoW.  I dont know what it is about Wildstar that gives me this feeling, maybe its the art style being the same as WoW.  Maybe its the nearly identical UI or being stuck in the same class with the same abilities once you pick your class but I have never felt like this in any other game after so short a time frame.

ON a side note, I did pick up a $20 copy to activate right before it goes B2P/F2P so I can get some perks and try it out with all the changes so I will be giving it another shot once that happens.

"Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• existenzexistenz Member UncommonPosts: 37
    Wildstar is another WOW clone in every way. When it comes to wow clone i prefer WoW. The only game that is something totaly different in every way is Lineage 2. If you want something different try that one everything else looks like wow
    Originally posted by Amjoco
    Originally posted by Ecoces

when i can just play WoW

I think you nailed just about every mmorpg on the market with that comment. I think it's to play something different...no one could stand playing only WoW forever, and games like Rift, WS, and SWTOR, break up the monotony. Every game has it's own lore, history, variations of race, classes and crafting, so it's fun to play them as well. 

well yeah and thats why most of those games you mentioned are one foot in the grave and WoW is going strong over 10 years. SWTOR is just wow with Star wars skins and voice acting ... and meaningless quest choices.

Rift is just WoW with more class customization ... and the rift system

Wildstar is just WoW with an upgraded combat system

thats what MMORPG makers need to ask themselves ... thats why Wildstar, Rift and SWTOR should have asked themselves is whats going to make people stop playing WOW and play our game for the long haul.

The more I read this thread, the more I realize there is absolutely no reason to engage in discussion about MMORPGs with the community. If its not WoW or GW2, its a piece of crap copy of one of them. It blows my mind how anyone could play Wildstar, and then turn around and say its a clone of WoW.

because when you play WS you feel like you are playing WoW except with an upgraded combat system.

if WOW redesigned their game tomorrow and added a "telegraph" system to their combat then it would have everything WIldstar has.

Originally posted by Talonsin

I was in the beta for Wildstar and stopped playing after two weeks.  It felt exactly like I was playing WoW.  Other games have differences however subtle, Rift has souls you can switch and change from a DPS to healer, GW2 allows you to use several different types of weapons and has public quests.  Sure at their core they are all themepark, questhub grinders but there is enough difference to not feel like you are playing the exact same game as WoW.  I dont know what it is about Wildstar that gives me this feeling, maybe its the art style being the same as WoW.  Maybe its the nearly identical UI or being stuck in the same class with the same abilities once you pick your class but I have never felt like this in any other game after so short a time frame.

ON a side note, I did pick up a $20 copy to activate right before it goes B2P/F2P so I can get some perks and try it out with all the changes so I will be giving it another shot once that happens.

I disagree, the combat in WoW is lethargic compared to WS, and I say that as an avid WoW fan. In WoW it feels like you are standing flat footed in PvE combat, it feels almost lifeless. 

If you are trying to say other games have a few systems that leave WS behind you have to remember WS has an excellent housing system, you can choose a path which is very fun and challenging. You have the challenge system that a lot of people find very fun. It's combat system has double jump (unique), and many zones have less gravity that makes it fun just to adventure in. All games have music, but I think WS has one of the best soundtracks of any game out right now.

So, you can't say WS feels exactly like playing WoW unless you really missed a big part of the game.

Sure, WS is a clone of WoW with an over the top animated look, but to me it is a very fun title to play.

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• EponyxDamorEponyxDamor Member RarePosts: 749

Sorry, the path system is so irrelevant to most of the game, I hardly consider it a game changer enough to make it not feel like WoW. The housing system is nice, as well, to dabble with, but again, not a game changer.

WS is pretty much identical to WoW aside from the slightly more actiony combat and a few "doo dad" features.

• scorpex-xscorpex-x Member RarePosts: 1,030
    Originally posted by crimzonxskyz

Wildstar with all of its little flaws is such a great game.. and the only potential it is lacking is the support of a fan base that would throttle this game into some really great online experiences for people...

I see a quality game thats way ahead of its time as far as progression mmorpg experiences go... this game has so much potential and the only thing holding it back is a loyal fan base of players...

People are so easily deterred by the negative opinions of others they often miss out on great opportunities that are right in their face.

This game blows WoWs D$%# out of the %@^!ing Water people... wtf is WRONG WITH YOU GOSH ( Face palm ) lol .. Ive played wow since vanilla and I just cant understand how people are still sold on that mindless grind for expired glory... - meaning everytime you think you've attained something or achieved something great something even GREATER comes out and yet again you are left doing the SAME repetitive bee worker job.

Rant over

PS - NCSOFT : Dont give up on this game yet...

There is nothing wrong with mmorpg gamers, the market is saturated is the problem.

Originally posted by EponyxDamor

Sorry, the path system is so irrelevant to most of the game, I hardly consider it a game changer enough to make it not feel like WoW. The housing system is nice, as well, to dabble with, but again, not a game changer.

WS is pretty much identical to WoW aside from the slightly more actiony combat and a few "doo dad" features.

Yes, they are subtle differences just like all games have, I wasn't trying to make them sound like game changers. That was my point responding to Talonsin. You must not have read his comment.

• RasiemRasiem Member UncommonPosts: 318
    Honestly I just think it was a really bad time for Wildstar to release, the player base is just tired of the same old same old and thats really what it sums up to in my opinion. They literally brought nothing new to the genre even the story was a copy past of things we have seen over and over. The community is just tired of these Horde vs alliance style games that offer no new experiences, this is due to Devs trying to copy and paste the blizzard successor. There's a reason why Herathstone is such a popular game lol its different. Oh and here's an idea how about a game where you just choose a race but could follow the side of your choosing? this seems to be to complicated apparently I always thought it would be cool to play and orc on the alliance side. And yes the graphics were a bit cartoony but if the game offered new and inventive ideas I dont think the graphic style is what we would be talking about its just the most obvious.
  • simpliussimplius Member UncommonPosts: 1,134
    Originally posted by Nikaas

People are just done with EQ/WOW kind of games.

With every month its more obvious how little attention from players EQ/WOW style themeparks receive.

this is a thread about a themepark game, that you posted in yourself, so no

name a sandbox mmo, that isnt niche?

theme parks are  prolly 80-90 % of the market, so the reality is exactly the opposite of your theory

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by NightHaveN
    But really can't understand why people keep yelling Wildstar is a WoW clone every minute when there are games out there from nearly every part of the world that are more WoW clones than WIldstar is.  

How does it's "clone quality" invalidate that its a wow clone regardless?

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• RaquisRaquis Member RarePosts: 1,029

same crap as WOW,just boring quest grinding!

WOW would be worth the price if it had no subscription.

• AweallAweall Member Posts: 1
    I started playing MMORPGs with DAoC. I've played every MMORPG since (f2p, b2p, and sub.) That being said I've seen this arguement time and time again. Imagine the MMORPG genre is the James Bond movie franchise. I'll use DAoC as it was my first but not THE first MMORPG. Imagine DAoC was Sean Connery playing Bond. People viewed Connery as Bond and thats how it was. Now Roger Moore comes in. Say Moore is WoW. Now hes new and he play the role differently. Some ppl like him some want Sean Connery. Over time Moore is accepted as the new Bond. There have a few Bonds that have come and gone over the years. The one thing we know is that whomever plays the role, they will play it in their own style while upholding the character archtype. Now, as ppl do, you can argue who the best Bond is, but ppl tend to choose the one who was their first or who they feel played the role the best. IMO Wildstar is Daniel Craig and I love it. If you expect MMORPGs to be completely reinvented and take the genre to new heights your SOL. To put it another way: Wildstar is WoW with better combat (imo) WoW is Everqueat without death exp penalties and Everquest is the 3D Ultima Online. Typing on phone so excuse spelling errors pls.
    Originally posted by Aweall
    I started playing MMORPGs with DAoC. I've played every MMORPG since (f2p, b2p, and sub.) That being said I've seen this arguement time and time again. Imagine the MMORPG genre is the James Bond movie franchise. I'll use DAoC as it was my first but not THE first MMORPG. Imagine DAoC was Sean Connery playing Bond. People viewed Connery as Bond and thats how it was. Now Roger Moore comes in. Say Moore is WoW. Now hes new and he play the role differently. Some ppl like him some want Sean Connery. Over time Moore is accepted as the new Bond. There have a few Bonds that have come and gone over the years. The one thing we know is that whomever plays the role, they will play it in their own style while upholding the character archtype. Now, as ppl do, you can argue who the best Bond is, but ppl tend to choose the one who was their first or who they feel played the role the best. IMO Wildstar is Daniel Craig and I love it. If you expect MMORPGs to be completely reinvented and take the genre to new heights your SOL. To put it another way: Wildstar is WoW with better combat (imo) WoW is Everqueat without death exp penalties and Everquest is the 3D Ultima Online. Typing on phone so excuse spelling errors pls.

Welcome to the site and very good post. :)

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by Raquis

same crap as WOW,just boring quest grinding!

WOW would be worth the price if it had no subscription.

And yet over 7 million do think it is worth the price of subscription, i think the problem with Wildstar was never the subscription model anyway, if a game is good enough then people will pay the subscription to play it. Some games do work fairly well as F2P, but, then you will always get people who complain about the pay walls, as with P2P games, if the game is good enough, then people will pay to access those features/content that is behind the pay walls. 

If a game is no good, regardless of whether its P2P B2P or F2P, the players will vote with their feet, as was demonstrated by Wildstars player base fairly succinctly.image

• moosecatlolmoosecatlol Member RarePosts: 1,530

Damage/Healing Circles/Shapes, are easily the laziest form of design in recent mmo history.

Rather than create and interesting and telegraphic animation that communicates the danger of incoming damage to the players, developers have opted to instead just draw crappy little circles and squares on the ground. Great.

There's also the combat as a whole, and I won't go into much detail about "combat feel", but there have been numerous videos that have been made on the subject. In short if your "combat feel" or the way that the player experiences combat is poor, E.G. Floaty, then he or she will spend a large majority of their playtime drudging through it.

So what do you when you don't enjoy the largest portion of a game? Do you play it because some stranger on the internet told you it was a great game?

Consider the following: Wildstar as it stands likely doesn't have a quarter of what Everquest had back in 2003. Star Wars Galaxies at 300k subs made Smedley go into a mad panic.

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    Originally posted by Phertias

Wildstar is the best MMORPG out there by far

But people dont want the "EQ-Type" (Not WoW-Clone, WoW is a clone and you all know it) 

People want something new and they have gotten it. Its called MOBA´s. Deal with it

I play a total sandbox MMO for over 12 years now, I like PVP and PVE, PVP I like solo and mass fights can end up in battles up to 3000 ppl or more.

Ok Wildstar: installing it, hmm cartoony graphics, and hey, yet another levelbased gear grinder linear themepark ending in raids.

Apart from the humor: "seen that, been there, done that" feeling.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"