Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How are you playing this game ? ( poll )

delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081

For now I'm enjoying GW2.

Been playing it off and on since release.  In fact I forget how to play and have to relearn it between plays. I get about two weeks of entertainment before I leave for something else.

I have a Necro to level 65, a Warrior to level 25 and now have a Mesmer to 18.  The Mesmer is more fun than I imagined and I'm following a good build from someone that has a series of how to play one on Youtube......I'm saving a Ranger for the next time.

I think of Guild Wars 2 as a very good solo online game.  It's deep, rich and filled with excitement.  The action is never ending and I'm always looking to push forward down one of the four carrot-on-a stick paths, sometimes switching zones if I find myself over leveling one of them.  The personal story is enjoyable.  I have to hand it to Anet for having so many individual stories for each character. This is quality that you don't see in mmo's anymore.

As far as an mmo ?... well, not really.  I'm a social player, with GW2 I don't really try for that, not much reason. The game has auto-everything to take care of the social for you, kind of like FF14 but only much better. 

Here's a good example :

Last night I pushed myself ahead of my carrot-on-a-stick zone. I was around level 14 in a 16 area and overwhelmingly trapped when a player came along and helped.  We exchanged greetings, then scattered away.  Normally I would chat, offer friendship and promise to help when he needs it.  But in GW2 there is no real need for friendship unless you like to make the game your home and WANT to ( no reason to NEED too ).   

It's a great game for when your in between games......The Witcher3 well be released in about two weeks :)

Comments

• KenaoshiKenaoshi Member UncommonPosts: 1,022

I play everyday, but a lot less than before. 

Used to do all dungeon tours and bosses, now i just do Teq > Ice elemental > pve dailies > pvp dailies, and in the weekends get  world completion on my characters(5 of 11 to go).

The game is kinda stale right now(for someone playing since the beta) so waiting am just waiting for the xpansion between gta5 sessions ;p

now: GW2 (11 80s).
    Dark Souls 2.
    future: Mount&Blade 2 BannerLord.
    "Bro, do your even fractal?"
    Recommends: Guild Wars 2, Dark Souls, Mount&Blade: Warband, Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning.

• DeddmeatDeddmeat Member UncommonPosts: 387

I got the game, played it for an extremely short time and just couldn't get into it, might give it another spin sometime, see if i can actually get somewhere ;-)

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    I usually play for around a week, after a content update.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,011
    Originally posted by Deddmeat

I got the game, played it for an extremely short time and just couldn't get into it, might give it another spin sometime, see if i can actually get somewhere ;-)

I'm like you. I wanted to really like it but I just couldn't stick with it. I've never even gotten a character to cap.

It's still on my computer and I update it from time to time but I'm not quite sure I "get it".

To that point, I did log on for a few days in order to do some public quests and me and some people got 'yelled at' because we were actually trying to complete the quest but they wanted to milk the quest in order to get better rewards or some such thing.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    GW2 turned out to be an odd game for me. I disliked the original and started getting excited when I read about dynamic events and how this would change PvE.  I'm not a PvP player so none of that interested me. I've always felt PvP brings out the worst in gamers. I played at launch and found the dynamic events boring after awhile.  I'm not sure if the problem is story is not able to be conveyed through dynamic events or I just don't like how GW2 did dynamic events. The first month or so in the game someone suggested I try WvW since it wasn't full of typical PvP types who wanted to prove how great they were. I reluctantly tried it and absolutely loved it. I look at GW2 as my WvW game now and rarely PvE in this game. Never would have believed this prior to launch but I love the WvW in this game and this is what I spend most of my time doing now. 
  • DelCabonDelCabon Member UncommonPosts: 258

My own exp is very close to the OP. I don't pvp and I'm not one to grind for gear, so GW2 fills that spot when I am bored of playing other games.

I jump in, enjoy the new story, cap my toons and bail.

Maybe when the new expansion is released Ill be compelled to stay longer.

Del Cabon
    A US Army ('Just Cause') Vet and MMORPG Native formerly of Trinsic, Norath and Dereth. Currently playing LOTRO. 

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Originally posted by DelCabon

My own exp is very close to the OP. I don't pvp and I'm not one to grind for gear, so GW2 fills that spot when I am bored of playing other games.

I jump in, enjoy the new story, cap my toons and bail.

Maybe when the new expansion is released Ill be compelled to stay longer.

Same here.  Don't grind for gear.  Don't PvP. but did for the world map achievement, twice.  I'm rotating MHs, ESO, and GW2 in between some RPG's.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• andre369andre369 Member UncommonPosts: 970

I would say off and on. Been playing it quite a bit the last two months, before that was like a 4 month break. Hoping for some more meaningful progression with the new campaign, but what I have seen does not really shout meaningful. Hopefully I will be happy.

Not playing any other MMO at the moment, tried SWTOR a few months back. But it was just too much of an MMO and not enough Star Wars..

• ManestreamManestream Member UncommonPosts: 941

Dont have it.

Was given a link to go to with 80/90% off (not sure which), but when given that link the offer had ended.

Somethign i have not bothered about since the 1st GW game was not impressive to me (was instanced way too much)

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

I chose "love off and on".

It's a very well made game, IMO.  The crafting inventory feature is something I wish every single friggin' MMO on the planet had(especially YOU, ESO!).  I like that exploring and advancement is pretty open; that I could actually get my level 80 in a starting area if I felt so inclined.  And the Event system is pretty much the best of its kind to date, IMO.  And it does it all as a B2P game.

The "off" part:  I just don't like the world that much.  The landscape is terrific, but I just don't care about the races, politics, or even the basic look of the place.  Not big on the cutesy quaggan-ish stuff, which is also what turns me off about EQ.  As a result, I hardly ever play it.  Just personal taste.  Those are things other people love about the game, and I'm a happy camper when I see fandom fed, my own or not.

I have one level 78 character and a bunch of 10-20 characters.  I may revisit someday... I still log in to try to pick up the living world episodes.  But it's been a while since I've played.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    It never jived with me. 
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    GW2 has been my mmo home since it launched, but i do take breaks here and there. With that said, Im currently not playing anything on PC. Although my PC runs everything that is out there i need to upgrade it entirely and i cant do that at the moment so i dont feel like playing PC games at all.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,011
    Originally posted by DMKano

Downscaling ensured I'll never play this again (unless they remove downscaling or enable it as a toggle feature).

I know many don't mind it - some even like it - I abhor being downscaled to lower level  without my consent or toggle option.

It doesn't even make any sense from a lore perspective - how did I suddnely get 80% weaker just because I entered into this area?

No thanks.

The 2nd big no-no is lack of vertical progression - again some love this, I don't.

Other than that - the game is gorgeous, and runs very smooth - it's a great game with a couple of fatal flaws that are "no go" for me.

I think I very much agree with you there.

I don't like down-scaling because it pretty much mitigates some of what you get with the leveling process. I have to admit I like vertical progression. Having said that I understand the issues with vertical progression and leaving people "so" behind that you separate an ageing population from new players.

And I agree, gorgeous game, great art design, runs smoothly. It's a good game but only tickles my fancy for short bits.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081

It seems that short stays, and off and on, and the idea that it's a paid for B2P game is the popular opinion.

I would guess this because of the Auto-everything dynamic style. I JUST FEEL ALL ALONE !....Sure you can choose to call this game your home.  And overcome the loneliness regardless of the games soloish mechanics.

I get the same exact feeling with FF14.

• BaitnessBaitness Member UncommonPosts: 675
    Originally posted by delete5230

It seems that short stays, and off and on, and the idea that it's a paid for B2P game is the popular opinion.

I would guess this because of the Auto-everything dynamic style. I JUST FEEL ALL ALONE !....Sure you can choose to call this game your home.  And overcome the loneliness regardless of the games soloish mechanics.

I get the same exact feeling with FF14.

You make an interesting point about FFXIV.  I was getting a similar feeling but I couldn't  put my finger on it.  I really like FFXIV but even when in a guild I just do my own thing... I am not having this issue in other games I am playing right now.

On topic, I actually selected hate it, even though I used to love it.  Arenanet has taken the glorious ideas that the game started with and managed to go backwards.  I really dislike their post-release design choices, which is odd considering how much I enjoyed beta and the initial release.  I wonder if they released the people that used to be in charge of the game.

We will see if the expansion changes things.  I will be waiting to hear the reactions of my friends, but hey if they fix it up then I will jump on board.  I hope different people are in charge of the expansion.  The current design team should be completely fired.  I hope I never see a game get mismanaged like I feel GW2 was ever again.

Side note, I hopped on the forums to look at what people were saying about the expac and found out that I had gotten banned a year ago for saying I thought the design team should be fired.  They called it a personal attack.  I can see where they are coming from but geeze it was relevant.

• HellCasterHellCaster Member UncommonPosts: 234

I love the zone scaling of the game. It allows you to get appropriate rewards for your level even when in lower content and encourages higher level players to group with lower level ones.

Playing: varies every day it seems.

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935
    Right now I just log in to get the daily login rewards.
  • ShojuShoju Member UncommonPosts: 776
    Originally posted by grimal
    Right now I just log in to get the daily login rewards.

I am at the point where I can't even be bothered doing that.  The game just doesn't do anything for me any more.  I doubt that I will even get the expansion at this point.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

I have problems playing a single game all the time...it's just me. I play GW2 about 3 or 4 times a week for a couple hours each time. I play multiple titles switching back and forth, because doing the same thing over and over is monotonous. I don't get bored per se, it's that I just don't want to get burned out on something or it makes me not want to ever play it again. I played Rift non stop for months and did nothing else, now I can't even think of logging in. 

GW2 is a great game to jump back into if you are away for a few weeks. It's easy to remember how to play your character because there are few button choices to reacquaint yourself with and you can be PvP or PvEing in no time. It's a no subscription title and if I want I can buy gems for gold and it isn't that expensive. One of the best titles for the buck outside of perhaps WoW due to its huge amount of content.

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• Guardian707Guardian707 Member UncommonPosts: 17

To those who have only leveled "so far" piddling around, you can actually max out each character by exploration of nodes, vistas, etc (not including quests).  Finishing maps gives big bonuses, but at the end game, you need the teleportation nodes anyhow to get around.  Explore everything you can, then finish lower quests until you are maxed and THEN do the story.  

I have pretty much everything at 80 except elementist and ranger.  To the OP, My mes is my main, the shortest and widest norn I could create and he is incredible fun.  Fashioned him up to look like a horror flick slasher, making a full set of mirror images pretty damned awesome.  Play with the mechanics, make your mes something worth seeing three more of and have fun.  I do the same thing, playing for a bit and then leaving, but half of my problem is the game is casual/skilled and I get bored without a goal.  That and Legendaries being dungeon grindable just pisses me off.  

Oh, and don't try to mystic forge a Pre. unless you really hate yourself or have too much money.   Sure its great when it works, but I can only get kicked in the nuts so many times before I go fetal position.  /shrug  Your mileage may vary.  

What I could really go for right now is for someone to come out with a steampunk based true MMORPG with twitch based action, split-game design for balanced PVE/PVP (changes based on target) in an original graphically-pleasing partially-player-atlering world. but thats me...

• ketzerei84ketzerei84 Member UncommonPosts: 81

Nowadays I just log in, do pvp dailies and claim daily bag. Maybe 30min of actual playtime, and 7h of idling the launcher to pad my raptr numbers. IF there are TWO fractal dailies I hit up a fractal run(this is once in a blue moon so /shrug) and once a week I do guild activities.

Playing: Secret World: Legends

Waiting for: Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen