Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Daybreak Games (former SoE) can't get much right.

CalmOceansCalmOceans Member UncommonPosts: 2,437

I'm starting to see why Sony has sold off SoE to Daybreak games.

The ability of this company to manage even the most basic things is non-existent.

They launched a newer "classic" server (I don't play classic, I just play regular EQ from time to time).

They didn't anticipate that many players would multibox, they launched a single server with too low capacity.

Even though the server starts at lvl 1, for some miraculous reason, people were granted a lvl 50 character.

They broke several more things.

2 days after official launch, they still didn't have their server in order, they were still wiping the server, throwing people off the server, rerolling characters.

Now they are into the third day, and people are still cancelling accounts.

They are not offering reimbursements for players (it's $15 a month, which people had to pay prior to being able to play).

So people are forced to chargeback through VISA.

I have seen several companies who didn't know what they were doing, this easily beats them all.

Comments

• robsonicrobsonic Member UncommonPosts: 26
    Why should anyone be entitled to a refund? You are paying for membership access to ALL of their games, which you received. The server is a bonus.
  • CalmOceansCalmOceans Member UncommonPosts: 2,437
    Originally posted by robsonic
    Why should anyone be entitled to a refund? You are paying for membership access to ALL of their games, which you received. The server is a bonus.

I hope that is really bad sarcasm. People payed to play Everquest, not Planetside 2.

That's like paying for WoW, the server being broken, and arguing it allows them to play starcraft, people didn't pay to play starcraft, they paid to play WoW.

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286

Just to play devil's advocate and I really don't have a hat tossed into this since I don't play EQ. Shouldn't something like this have been somewhat expected? You're talking about 16 years worth of code that they have to deal with in order to create the server. I imagine that creating a new server with a completely separate ruleset would be affected by the 16+ years worth of coding behind it, and to actually catch every single bug is probably a completely daunting task.

It's been three days. In the grand scheme of things, 3 days is a drop in the bucket compared to the potential hours that many people are going to wind up playing on this server. 

Many of those thread titles you posted the screen cap of are pretty much the EXACT SAME thread titles we see with every single release of every new mmo, even WoW's last expansion was plagued with queue times. Per usual, you have a group overreacting. 

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Yes it is to be expected and why i stopped supporting SOE,they really run a second rate operation now.

So i guess we can blame the players as well for supporting SOE and expecting Triple A.Just look the way they released H1Z1,it looked like a game 5 people spent 3 months.Here is the real kicker,Steam even offered refunds on that shambles,how often do you see that happen?Likely because they don't send SOE's money until at least 30 days,so they had time to refund it all.

Bottom line is as long as people keep supporting bad developers,they will keep taking advantage of people.

I know i am partly at fault as well,at one time i was a spend thrift,i bought so many games on a whim,but not in a long time,it took awhile for me to smarten up.I just see sooooo many people buying games on a whim and playing them for a few weeks then tossing them away.It is making a lot of shotty efforts rich when they shouldn't be.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• AzothAzoth Member UncommonPosts: 840
    Originally posted by Kaneth

Just to play devil's advocate and I really don't have a hat tossed into this since I don't play EQ. Shouldn't something like this have been somewhat expected? You're talking about 16 years worth of code that they have to deal with in order to create the server. I imagine that creating a new server with a completely separate ruleset would be affected by the 16+ years worth of coding behind it, and to actually catch every single bug is probably a completely daunting task.

It's been three days. In the grand scheme of things, 3 days is a drop in the bucket compared to the potential hours that many people are going to wind up playing on this server. 

Many of those thread titles you posted the screen cap of are pretty much the EXACT SAME thread titles we see with every single release of every new mmo, even WoW's last expansion was plagued with queue times. Per usual, you have a group overreacting. 

The problem is not with the coding of the game. Other than the auto level 50 stuff and some minor hickup, the coding isn't that bad. The thing is that they seriously underestimated the appeal of this type of server. Right now there is over 4k players in game, they already pushed the limit and it's still not enough. There are a couple thousands more than want to log in and can't because the server is full. And to make matter worst, they don't even have a queue system, so youhave to spam the login button for hours till you get lucky enough to be perfectly timed with someone loging off.

There also doesn't seem to be an auto-kick afk players so there is a lot of dead weight stopping people from loging in. Those are all years old problems that happens in every game and they still didn't see it comming ? If it was a new game, you can give some more slack, but this is not like it's the first server everquest is adding.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,351
    If you play something on the day it launches, you expect it to be broken.  Don't you?
  • VorpalChicken28VorpalChicken28 Member UncommonPosts: 348
    Been playing EQ all day on the new ragefire server, had zero issues, been a total blast so far.
    “Nevertheless, the human brain, which survives by hoping from one second to another, will always endeavor to put off the moment of truth. Moist” 
    ― Terry PratchettMaking Money
  • AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by Quizzical
    If you play something on the day it launches, you expect it to be broken.  Don't you?

That sentence would make a great bumper sticker....or a tattoo. 

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    After all, their name is Dey Break games.. I mean Daybreak.  They have a long history of breaking basically every single game they ever launched, on either a technical or design level.

• hockeyplayrhockeyplayr Member UncommonPosts: 604
    Originally posted by Amjoco

That sentence would make a great bumper sticker....or a tattoo. 

That sentence perfectly sums up mmos. 

• LacedOpiumLacedOpium Member EpicPosts: 2,327

Why do people still act so shocked that a game very recently released has bugs and server issues?  It can only be because this is either their first game, or they were born yesterday.  Sadly, I am sure neither is the case, and especially with this game that I am certain is attracting many veteran gamers.  Let me be clear about one thing though ... it's not Daybreak's fault.  There is a process that must be adhered to with anything coded and going on line for the first time.   I mean, this has only happened to every ... single ... game ... ever ... released ... to date... with few ... exception.  You people are too much.  I am seriously starting to become very disappointed with my fellow gamers. 

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by LacedOpium

Why do people still act so shocked that a game very recently released has bugs and server issues?

Wait ..isn't the OP talking about a EQ classic server? The game is what ... 16 years old. You will expect they already have a handle an ancient game that has been running for ages, right?

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,180
    As usual a company gives in to those pesky customers demands for something then are shocked that the customer actually wants to use the thing they'd demanded for a decade.
    Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• greenbow54greenbow54 Member UncommonPosts: 128
    What world do we live in where its expected that a product NOT work when you receive it? The game industry as a whole is in such a pitiful state. N64 games launched relatively bug free because they actually TESTED their shit before selling it to people, but modern games can't manage to do that with far better resources at their disposal.

Originally posted by greenbow54
    What world do we live in where its expected that a product NOT work when you receive it? The game industry as a whole is in such a pitiful state. N64 games launched relatively bug free because they actually TESTED their shit before selling it to people, but modern games can't manage to do that with far better resources at their disposal.

That is why people like f2p .. you don't have to spend a penny and can leave at any time if there is any problem with a game.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

That is why people like f2p .. you don't have to spend a penny and can leave at any time if there is any problem with a game.

Actually that is the argument that supports the use of free trials for games, so that you can try before you buy, rather than an argument that favors F2P, but your not entirely wrong, as more often than not, players tend to move on once they hit a F2P games pay walls. image

Originally posted by Phry
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

Actually that is the argument that supports the use of free trials for games, so that you can try before you buy, rather than an argument that favors F2P, but your not entirely wrong, as more often than not, players tend to move on once they hit a F2P games pay walls. image

Exactly .. i did not preclude the use of free trials either. In fact, many play F2P as unlimited free trial until you hit a pay wall.

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092
    Originally posted by CalmOceans
    Originally posted by robsonic

I hope that is really bad sarcasm. People payed to play Everquest, not Planetside 2.

That's like paying for WoW, the server being broken, and arguing it allows them to play starcraft, people didn't pay to play starcraft, they paid to play WoW.

Kinda agree with both of you. I pay $15 to play EQ2 and could not care less about the other games (might give EQ a try on classic though). But at least DBG could compensate the players on that one server in some way, like extra Station Cash (I keep calling it that) of some free items.

I also wonder about the lv 50 characters that were given away. Sounds kinda odd to me.

• LonzoLonzo Member UncommonPosts: 294
    The Oldschool server is bursting and thousands of people want to play like it's 99 and yet daybreak does NOT see how much potential oldschool EQ 3 game would have. I dont understand this. The demand for classic EQ with good grafics is HUGE! We gamers (millions) 35-50 agers are just waiting to pay YOU tons of money. I'd pay 80€ a month for that!

• moosecatlolmoosecatlol Member RarePosts: 1,530

No, no I don't. Especially when I'm trying to play a 16 year old game being hosted by the original publishers(in company name only).

It speaks volumes when private servers do better jobs than the original publishers.

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654

Entirely agree with Quiz once again.

HOWEVER!

I think it's rather dumb of DB to not have had a 2nd server for this since there clearly was an insane over whelming demand the last two times they did this and they had massive queues for the first weeks of the server.

Everything else though is just day 1 on a game.

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654
    Originally posted by moosecatlol

No, no I don't. Especially when I'm trying to play a 16 year old game being hosted by the original publishers(in company name only).

It speaks volumes when private servers do better jobs than the original publishers.

P99 had a rough launch too, show me an MMO without a shaky launch please.

• azarhalazarhal Member RarePosts: 1,402
    Originally posted by Reizla

I also wonder about the lv 50 characters that were given away. Sounds kinda odd to me.

That was something that remained in the code from the beta of Ragefire, some characters were autoleveled to 50 at creation for testing in beta and it seems the feature remained in the final build. They fixed the code and wiped everything.

Currently the biggest problem of Ragefire is that it is running the 16 years old code which doesn't support kicking out AFK characters. Players keep their character logged in when the go to sleep and work which mean less people can play it than it should. For some reasons devs always forget about that feature. Both SWTOR and FFXIV 2.0 ARR released without it...

Also, this is not the first progression server for EQ, they probably expected a lot less people joining this new one based on past experience.

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    Looked at a couple of sites, a few discussions, and some of my own observation, and it seems that they seem to be like most companies.  Some closed games; some open games; some games that are anticipated; some that are on life support.  Sounds like Joe average company to me.

I self identify as a monkey.

• ketzerei84ketzerei84 Member UncommonPosts: 81
    Originally posted by Kaneth

Except that this is the third time they've launched a progression server, and this one has the EXACT same code as the two they already have active(at a much later point in progression): Fippy and Vulak. Oh, and they did a beta FIRST to catch all the bugs. Then add int he fact that beta feedback from players was 'this isn't ready, there are too many bugs' and prior to even beta players said 'when you did this the last two times, you needed two servers, do two at once this time' and ofc, they didn't listen.

The problem here is John Smedley (President, SOE and now DB). He's a sheister thief, that will lie and scam his way into customer's wallets, and doesn't care if the games under his command fall apart as long as he gets that cash first. 

Playing: Secret World: Legends

Waiting for: Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen