Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] General: Paid Mods Are Likely to Return

2»

Comments

• whilanwhilan Member UncommonPosts: 3,472

Okay look Bethesda it was bad enough you released games that crashed or had oddities, that's just bad testing or bad dev procedure. That's bad enough from a professional standpoint.

Then you count on your modding community to fix this stuff in every version instead of looking at what they fix and put that into your next game, or just simply updating your game (you know you can release patches right Bethesda, been doing it for ages all the way back to Neverwinter nights)

Now they want to get money from their modders for fixing their game? That's just backwards. Extra content maybe...maybe but you should get the smallest portion as that was supposed to be your job.  your modders are doing you a service, by increasing your games value, you are pretty much already getting a slice of it by saying people can make extra content thus making your product more valueable, now you want to release a half finish game, charge people for fixing and get the benefit of increase attractiveness for your game while getting money from that to?

Is Bethesda in trouble, did Skyrm not do as well as they thought it would? Maybe I should just stop buying their games if they won't fix their products but want to charge for the fixes as well as additional content they didn't create.

I got a product for Bethesda. The Elder Scrolls: Parchment.  In this amazing new game, we let the modders create the game with assest they create. Once the assest are created and put together, we'll put it up in our store so you can buy it from them. Think of the possibility. Each tile only cost you a nickel.

Help me Bioware, you're my only hope.

Is ToR going to be good? Dude it's Bioware making a freaking star wars game, all signs point to awesome. -G4tv MMo report.

• AntiquatedAntiquated Member RarePosts: 1,415

"Most beloved retailer" "Most beloved RPG publisher"? ::headscratch:: I didn't get a vote.

Audience eyes wander elsewhere from paragraph one.

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    Originally posted by Ikeda

I love how everyone is ignoring the even more important issues of payouts.  So the developer of the mod's gets 25% according to the old deal.  They THEN had to sell enough to make $100 or they wouldn't get a payout.

i.e.  If they listed their mod for a buck.  They'd have to sell 400 mods to get $100.

Further... if they sold 399 mods....

They wouldn't get their money and Valve would keep not only the first 300 bucks but the other 99 because they didn't reach the threshold for payment.

I didn't delve further to determine if this is EVERY single time... or only after the first... still a crummy deal.

That limit is a good thing. It won't affect a serious modder making good mod, but it'll discourage people from trying to sell subpar mods.

• MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318
    Originally posted by Vrika
    Originally posted by Ikeda

I love how everyone is ignoring the even more important issues of payouts.  So the developer of the mod's gets 25% according to the old deal.  They THEN had to sell enough to make $100 or they wouldn't get a payout.

i.e.  If they listed their mod for a buck.  They'd have to sell 400 mods to get $100.

Further... if they sold 399 mods....

They wouldn't get their money and Valve would keep not only the first 300 bucks but the other 99 because they didn't reach the threshold for payment.

I didn't delve further to determine if this is EVERY single time... or only after the first... still a crummy deal.

That limit is a good thing. It won't affect a serious modder making good mod, but it'll discourage people from trying to sell subpar mods.

Really? Did you read the article and see the extra apple mod for $30? It just added one extra apple to the entire game in a place you wouldn't even see it? It deters people from creating bad mods? Really? Tell me that again and we will see if it turns into the truth. 

From my perspective, this is encouraging abuse due to the above method. Create a bunch of crap mods, so duped people buy them, and then the people lose their money. And why should someone make that many mods just to get a little cash out of it? Its the worst possible method they could have chosen. They will need to verify each mod before it could be posted. At least right now, with them being free, we haven't had to worry much about it because everyone relies on everyone else. 

• GreteldaGretelda Member UncommonPosts: 359

sadly Valve proved they don't care about mods and they just want more money. if they cared they would just add a donation button but that would ruin their milking plans.

they could continue doing what they did in the past and turn really good mods to a full game and sell it but paid mods is faster and easier obviously.

my top MMOs: UO,DAOC,WoW,GW2

most of my posts are just my opinions they are not facts,it is the same for you too.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

On one hand, I do feel that some (not all) modders have earned the right to ask for something back. However, it has to be done right or not at all. My biggest concern if they do this with any game current or future would be the modding knowledge pool would become much more shallow. When you look at the way mods are made for Skyrim, you see a history of modders giving and sharing their work. You want to make a new mod but you aren't sure how to make ABC do XYZ. But there's another mod where someone has figured out something similar. In most cases, the modders are all about allowing each other to discect their work to help another. Once this becomes a business that might stop. Most mods worth their salt were created using one or more of these resources. http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/searchresults/?src_order=1&src_sort=0&src_view=1&src_tab=1&src_language=0&src_cat=39&page=1&pUp=1 TESEdit 5. Most modders use it to make their own mods. It's a freely given resourse. What would the author do for TES VI if he things people will use it to make money he's not getting a part of?

Anyway. Getting back to the part about whether or not the modders deserve compensation. Deep down, putting aside my personal feelings that it would probably do more harm than good overall, I'd still support a fair system. One that doesn't limit me and one that actually rewards good mods. My whole Skyrim experience is based on using 200 mods. I'm, not paying for half, or even a 4th of them at a buck a pop. I'm not opposed to the modders charging, I simply can't afford that kind of gaming experience. Plus, you also have to consider that I must have play tested 5 or 6 mods for every one I kept. That's just insane money. If I had to pay for even a fraction of them on a per mod basis, I'd have quit after 200-500 hrs instead of 2500 hrs in Skyrim. Again, my intention is not to be an entitled leech here, I do agree soemthing may be in order, but it cannot be "per mod" That won't work.

What I can get behind is to offer Steam a premium charge. 5-10 bucks a month for access to a premium Mod download site. As for the mods? They have to meet and maintain some kkind of success criteria to be eligiable. If the mods do well enough, then the creator has earned the right and the option shiould he so choose, to move it to the premium area. He must maintain it properly and it must continue to be a "top mod" . 

None of these piss poor retexture weapons or free version counterparts with popups

Midas Magic - Popup Edition

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392

This was a stupid greed driven move by BETHESDA and VALVE. Pure and simple.

I'm stunned someone would try to excuse it and re-write the reality of what went on.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Slapshot1188

Am I the only one who took this to mean paid moderators for the site? 

:)

That's what I thought, too. 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• MrSnufflesMrSnuffles Member UncommonPosts: 1,117

I see a couple of problems with this:

1. Quality control

Problem: Square and Bethesda did explicitly say they will not do anything to ensure quality of the mods, compatibility or legality. If Valve and/or Bethesda would ensure quality like Valve does with TF2 and Dota2 then this could work and then they deserve a cut of the price.

Result: Scams, broken mods, compatibility issues, stolen content, cross compatibility issues with other mods. The list is endless.

2. Cost per mod

Problem: Let me just say moders deserve to be paid but they also have to be realistic about the price they can charge. If every moder charges $1 minimum then this will add up quickly and moding will cost the user more than the game itself. This will most likely not work and only a few mods that are "essential" will survive.

Result: Fewer mods as through time moders that can not sell their mod will just not continue to develop while the big ones will get better but also more expensive.

~/~

If they (Valve and Publisher/Developer) provide some form of quality control like they do with DOTA2 and TF2 then i can see this working really good. If they just want to line their pockets with free cash from the community then they can go eff off.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

"It's pretty simple, really. If your only intention in posting about a particular game or topic is to be negative, then yes, you should probably move on. Voicing a negative opinion is fine, continually doing so on the same game is basically just trolling."
    - Michael Bitton
    Community Manager, MMORPG.com

"As an online discussion about Star Citizen grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Derek Smart approaches 1" - MrSnuffles's law

"I am jumping in here a bit without knowing exactly what you all or talking about." 
    - SEANMCAD

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬