Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] General: 25 Tips for The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

The day has finally arrived. The long awaited The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt hit store shelves this week and has quickly taken the gaming world by storm. The 200-hour playtime has panned out, the open world is rich with stories and hidden content, and the game as a whole can be taken as one of the achievements of this generation of video games. It’s also deep. But never fear! We’re here to help you get started with our own set of 25 handy tips.

Read more of Christopher Coke's The RPG Files: 25 Tips for The Witcher 3 - Wild Hunt.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591
    Awesome game! I already have 38 hours into it... And I totally called in sick just to be able to play this game. I've never done that with a game before, but I really love the Witcher games!

Smile

• kzweedkzweed Member UncommonPosts: 12
    Awesome lil' guide. Thanks !
  • ArskaaaArskaaa Member RarePosts: 1,265
    38 hour played atm, not done even baron quests. Cant stop playing lol. Game more addict then Skyrim, npc are not boring and i havent got any boring moment yet.
  • MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    Originally posted by Razeekster
    Awesome game! I already have 38 hours into it... And I totally called in sick just to be able to play this game. I've never done that with a game before, but I really love the Witcher games!

Meh, we all have our moments.  Nothing wrong with you doing something nice for yourself every once in a while.  I'm sure you work hard.  So, I say enjoy your Witcher days!

• kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452
    Just about completed the Family Matters quest and the person that came up with this quest is a  genius.Sick,twisted,brilliant.That's all I can say.That quest alone made me drool at the mouth for what comes next in this brilliant game.
  • ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392
    Great article.Fantastic game.
  • JinxysJinxys Member UncommonPosts: 488
    absolutely loving this game. Just wait until the awesome mods start being made. Heck I will sink hundreds and hundreds of hours into this. Just like I did with Skyrim !
  • AvanahAvanah Member RarePosts: 1,615

If my BF did that, I would break up with him in a heartbeat. People who think Games > Real Life I never want to associate with.

What if you REALLY get sick and have less days?

Sad really. :(

"My Fantasy is having two men at once...

One Cooking and One Cleaning!"

---------------------------

"A good man can make you feel sexy,

strong and able to take on the whole world...

oh sorry...that's wine...wine does that..."

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by Avanah

If my BF did that, I would break up with him in a heartbeat. People who think Games > Real Life I never want to associate with.

Calling in sick one time = thinks games are > real real life.. IF my wife used such logic I'd get a divorce...

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Originally posted by Avanah

I've worked jobs with unlimited sick days and others with 364 sick days.  You're assuming a limitation that may not exist.  As long as gaming doesn't hinder your real life (like spending bill money on games) it's all good. 

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• FranconsteinFranconstein Member UncommonPosts: 99

I'm enjoying this game a lot. I'm reading every piece of lore I find: books, signposts, NPCs. It's amazing how well-written this is.

But I've got two main beefs with this game:

1. The combat is stupidly easy. While I enjoy the new combat mechanics (everything has a choreography), it also means that it's easy. I'm playing at "hardest" difficulty, and the only change is their stats. I don't need healing anymore, since I finish even boss fights unscathed.
    2. The story is watered down almost to stupidity. Too many metaphorical roadblocks. Also, it doesn't fit with Geralt being so complacent. If your daughter is at stake, and someone's holding out information on her, he'd harass that information out of them, not help find a lost goat.
    Overall, a good game. Dumbed down for the masses, but good nonetheless.

“There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.” - Ernest Hemingway

• eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809
    I am having trouble with dodge, it makes no sense to me or my fingers to have dodge on alt? I was thinking right mouse button, any ideas for dodge or roll
  • SvarcanumSvarcanum Member UncommonPosts: 425

I must be doing something wrong. Everyone is saying combat is easy. For me on the hard difficulty one missed dodge meant death. Especially liked those cut scenes that go directly to combat, usually I just outright die if I don't spam dodge as the cut scene is about to end. 

I then switched to normal and it's laughably easy, yes. I'd like some happy medium, where I'm allowed to botch one dodge but maybe not two in a row. As opposed to normal where I just can forgoe dodge altogether and just mash buttons..

• FranconsteinFranconstein Member UncommonPosts: 99

Originally posted by eddieg50
    I am having trouble with dodge, it makes no sense to me or my fingers to have dodge on alt? I was thinking right mouse button, any ideas for dodge or roll

Here's where tip #8 comes in: you NEED to play with a controller. You will not master the combat or the movement if not. Sure, you can play with K/M, but it'll always be awkward. You can try re-binding keys, but it's not gonna do much for you.

Originally posted by Svarcanum

I must be doing something wrong. Everyone is saying combat is easy. For me on the hard difficulty one missed dodge meant death. Especially liked those cut scenes that go directly to combat, usually I just outright die if I don't spam dodge as the cut scene is about to end. 

I then switched to normal and it's laughably easy, yes. I'd like some happy medium, where I'm allowed to botch one dodge but maybe not two in a row. As opposed to normal where I just can forgoe dodge altogether and just mash buttons..

Yes, I sense that you are doing something wrong. Maybe get different armor? Try with some potions? Even at max difficulty, it takes about 5 blows to kill me.

“There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.” - Ernest Hemingway

• ShodanasShodanas Member RarePosts: 1,933

Can mr. Christopher Coke elaborate on the term "open world" he and everyone else is using when discribing TW3? Unless the fast travel - loading screens i see when transitioning between the zones, big ones indeed, are just in my imagination. 

• WolfClawsWolfClaws Member UncommonPosts: 638

I am playing Hard difficulty, and I am not a bad gamer.  I mean, if one were to watch my streams you would see.

Some fights are easy.... others meh.  For example, I start up a fight with a wolf. A single, normal, everyday wolf.  He lunge attacks me, once, twice, thrice as a chain.... I get hit with all three, no defense, and I am dead.

Other times, I pwn the crap out of them without getting touched.

I invested in the skill that lets you heal during the daytime, but I am going to load up an older save... because I just dont need it.  I wish food wasn't so expensive, because Raw Meat just doesn't cut it.

Outstanding game.  Not Skyrim level with the Open World feel, but area are open, and each "zone" is very very large.  There is no load screen if you ride or walk into the "zones", but there is a loadscreen when you fast travel, and a clever system that is too.  

The level up mechanics are simple, yet...I know there is a limited number of power points, so I am timid on what to invest in LOL!

Oh and the comment about taking a sick day...Leave the guy alone.  Few games nowadays stimulate us to want to play that hardcore.  

My recommendation if you want to take time off... schedule a normal day, unless you get more sick leave (some jobs replenish the sick hours annually).  If you schedule a day off... you can alway cancel it if  the game sucks  :D

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591
    Originally posted by Franconstein

Here's where tip #8 comes in: you NEED to play with a controller. You will not master the combat or the movement if not. Sure, you can play with K/M, but it'll always be awkward. You can try re-binding keys, but it's not gonna do much for you.

Yes, I sense that you are doing something wrong. Maybe get different armor? Try with some potions? Even at max difficulty, it takes about 5 blows to kill me.

You do not need to play with a controller, I've been playing with mouse and keyboard and have had zero problems. Sometimes walking continues when I stop which has lead me to my death from walking off high places, but that's about it, and I think that happens with a controller too.

Smile

• eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809
    Originally posted by Franconstein

NO NO NO controller, maybe I am being stubborn but I will never play a computer game with a controller, I will either stick to normal mode or try putting dodge on right mouse