Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Games where you can directly earn stat points

sunandshadowsunandshadow Member RarePosts: 1,985
I was recently introduced to a tabletop system where instead of getting X stat points each time you level up, you have to earn stat points by doing a relevant activity - like you have to do something related to magic to earn magic-related stats, and you have to do something related to strength to earn strength, and something related to agility to earn agility, etc.  Are there any MMOs with this kind of system?
I want to help design and develop a PvE-focused, solo-friendly, sandpark MMO which combines crafting, monster hunting, and story.  So PM me if you are starting one.

Comments

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759

Original Darkfall was that way. Darkfall Unholy Wars instead has you earn points through completing feats (achievements for killing X mob, collecting X resource, etc) and thn spending the points where you want. original Darkfall may be coming back if all goes well with their current petition to open it up again. It is however a full loot open pvp game. If that is something you're interested in it would be a great game for you if / when it relaunches.

There are other games with such systems as well but most of them are either even older than darkfall  by several years or are niche indie games as well.

A pretty decent indie game which is still in testing and probably not launching until sometime next year is The Repopulation. It works somewhat the way you describe. You have several categories of skills which you can earn points in for doing various things, then spend those points in one of the skills that is a part of that group.

• SuntouchedSuntouched Member CommonPosts: 50
    Elders Scrolls Online has that sort of system to a degree, you lvl heavy armour by wearing it and you lvl sword and shields by using them etc. You also get skill points but those are to choose new abilities.
  • PAL-18PAL-18 Member UncommonPosts: 844
    Originally posted by kaiser3282

Original Darkfall

+1

Mabinogi,Entropia ,+edit Wakfu does some nice tricks also

So, did ESO have a successful launch? Yes, yes it did.By Ryan Getchell on April 02, 2014.
    **On the radar: http://www.cyberpunk.net/ **

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534

neocron

you skill what you do.

eg, you shoot with a certain weapon type, you get better with it and the stat associated (using psi stuff gave PSI, using tec weapons gave agi and some int, crafting INT and so on).

you walk alot while over burdened or take alot of damage, you gain stamina.

and so on.

game is abit old by now tho (came out 2004ish i think after quite some alpha and beta), but i think the servers for neocron (2) are still running.

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• Astro6Astro6 Member UncommonPosts: 247

Wurm online has skill stat points for everything best sandbox out there nothing compares.

• ArChWindArChWind Member UncommonPosts: 1,340

Vindictus - You gain additional stats by grinding out titles. There is no limit to AP so you can level every skill if you grind it out.

It is a grinder to this extent.

ArChWind — MMORPG.com Forums

If you are interested in making a MMO maybe visit my page to get a free open source engine.
  • itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999

wurm, entropia, gloria victis, LiF ... lots of the sandboxier mmos have this system.

i would recommend all 4 the above, but entropia is my fav of the 4.  also EQ1 has this to a lesser degree with casting skill-ups and weapon skill-ups.

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• VelocinoxVelocinox Member UncommonPosts: 1,010
    Actually the 'use to improve' system is almost as old as MMOs... Ultima Online used it, for instance.

'Sandbox MMO' is a PTSD trigger word for anyone who has the experience to know that anonymous players invariably use a 'sandbox' in the same manner a housecat does.

When your head is stuck in the sand, your ass becomes the only recognizable part of you.

No game is more fun than the one you can't play, and no game is more boring than one which you've become familiar.

How to become a millionaire:
    Start with a billion dollars and make an MMO.

• nerixa248nerixa248 Member UncommonPosts: 45
    Try Archlord 2. If you wear ranged wep then you gain +ranged dmg +stats points to ranged, if wear magic wep then you earn dmg and skills for magic tree. there are 4 classes and you can master them all and change weps in the middle of fights depending what you need.
  • AexionAexion Member UncommonPosts: 2
    @Velocinox Hi, lol