Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is it worth it?

seamonkey001seamonkey001 Member UncommonPosts: 87
I have never played the game before, but I give it so much respect due to it being the grandfather of MMORPG's. Was wondering if it is still worth it to download, play, and get immersed into the game?

Comments

• TyggsTyggs Member UncommonPosts: 456
    P99 is closer to what players experienced in its glory days. Current EQ is better for multiboxers than players looking for a social experience.

SWTOR Referral Link

Free Goodies for new or returning players.

See what it gets you Here

• seamonkey001seamonkey001 Member UncommonPosts: 87
    Don't have the money to afford a subscription for the game. Trust me when I say that if I had the money I definitely would pay for the p99 server.

• DangerNobuoDangerNobuo Member UncommonPosts: 96

You seem to be confused so let me set you straight. The retail progression server is vastly different from Project 1999.

Project 1999 is free. You could try it out right now if you like.

So should I just wait for project 1999 release in August?

• KumaponKumapon Member EpicPosts: 1,563

Huh? It was released a looong time ago, you can download and play it now.

• GolbezTheLionGolbezTheLion Member UncommonPosts: 347
    Originally posted by seamonkey001
    So should I just wait for project 1999 release in August?

You seem confused.

Project1999 is available right now, you don't have to wait. August is when they will be adding Velious, but the server is available with all content up til that point immediately. Go checkout the site, register an account, and download the client:

http://www.project1999.com/

Sorry, I read the post on there web site wrong, the Velious expansion comes out on August 1st, 2015. I apologize about my confusion and anyone that was also confused.

• KumaponKumapon Member EpicPosts: 1,563

No problem and good luck on your adventurers.

• AlcuinAlcuin Member UncommonPosts: 331

Titanium can be hard to find.  It's expensive for copies on ebay and amazon.  Although most people try to say to get it on the "swashbuckler" site (that shall not be named), my personal experiences doing so have left me restoring my hard drive to get rid of some sort of malaware or virus.  

Admittedly, I'm not the most technologically knowledgeable.   Any ideas or direction?

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

i wouldn't recommend someone who has never played EQ to play on p99 unless you know exactly what you are getting yourself into.

Originally posted by baphamet

i wouldn't recommend someone who has never played EQ to play on p99 unless you know exactly what you are getting yourself into.

Was that not part of the nostalgia for EQ, not knowing what you were getting yourself into?

Originally posted by baphamet i wouldn't recommend someone who has never played EQ to play on p99 unless you know exactly what you are getting yourself into.
    Was that not part of the nostalgia for EQ, not knowing what you were getting yourself into?

when the game first came out yes but if you are used to modern mmo's you will be in for a shock, just sayin.

the vast majority of people that play on p99 are classic EQ vets that already know what they are doing. just know that if you play on p99 you will likely be frustrated and confused at first.

there is no tutorial, no maps at all in game, and if you don't know your way around, good luck finding your corpse when you die.

if you really want to play on p99 and have never played EQ before i would highly suggest you find some people to help mentor you.

Originally posted by baphamet

Originally posted by baphamet i wouldn't recommend someone who has never played EQ to play on p99 unless you know exactly what you are getting yourself into.

when the game first came out yes but if you are used to modern mmo's you will be in for a shock, just sayin.

the vast majority of people that play on p99 are classic EQ vets that already know what they are doing. just know that if you play on p99 you will likely be frustrated and confused at first.

there is no tutorial, no maps at all in game, and if you don't know your way around, good luck finding your corpse when you die.

if you really want to play on p99 and have never played EQ before i would highly suggest you find some people to help mentor you.

So what would you suggest, trying EQ on Steam/Website or doing the P99?

• koboldfodderkoboldfodder Member UncommonPosts: 447

They just released the new time locked progression server, Ragefire, last night.  There are massive numbers of people playing (well, massive for an EQ server) and it is very difficult just to log on.  Also, that requires All Access pass which is basically a subscription .  But there are plenty of groups to be found, guilds to join, etc.

Or try p1999 for free.  There are a few differences, the main one being p1999 has corpse retrieval and Ragefire does not.  I think there are some other combat differences such as monk fists/mage pets not being overpowered like they are on Ragefire.

But be warned, this is not a modern MMO.  There is a massive time sink involved, and a painful learning curve for just about everything.  If you are used to easy mode themepark MMOs, this will be something totally different and almost shocking.

• TyggsTyggs Member UncommonPosts: 456

I would still recommend p1999.

You can get Titanium from that site full of scalawags. Just make sure you get the one dated 2007, it's clean.

It does have a hard leaning curve and can be a little intimidating, but the community is awesome and very helpful. Don't be worried. 

SWTOR Referral Link

Free Goodies for new or returning players.

See what it gets you Here

Originally posted by baphamet   Originally posted by seamonkey001 Originally posted by baphamet i wouldn't recommend someone who has never played EQ to play on p99 unless you know exactly what you are getting yourself into.
      when the game first came out yes but if you are used to modern mmo's you will be in for a shock, just sayin. the vast majority of people that play on p99 are classic EQ vets that already know what they are doing. just know that if you play on p99 you will likely be frustrated and confused at first. there is no tutorial, no maps at all in game, and if you don't know your way around, good luck finding your corpse when you die. if you really want to play on p99 and have never played EQ before i would highly suggest you find some people to help mentor you.
    So what would you suggest, trying EQ on Steam/Website or doing the P99?

you can try p99 since its free but the ragefire progression server will be much more forgiving. there is still no tutorial but there are maps and the search function is in game to help you find NPC's that have your spells.

vets of EQ are going to tell you p99 is better but for someone that's never played EQ, it's going to be rough and i think for a person that has never played EQ but wants to experience the old content, the progression server is probably better.

but you have to pay a sub for it, so just take that for what its worth.

Originally posted by koboldfodder

They just released the new time locked progression server, Ragefire, last night.  There are massive numbers of people playing (well, massive for an EQ server) and it is very difficult just to log on.  Also, that requires All Access pass which is basically a subscription .  But there are plenty of groups to be found, guilds to join, etc.

Or try p1999 for free.  There are a few differences, the main one being p1999 has corpse retrieval and Ragefire does not.  I think there are some other combat differences such as monk fists/mage pets not being overpowered like they are on Ragefire.

But be warned, this is not a modern MMO.  There is a massive time sink involved, and a painful learning curve for just about everything.  If you are used to easy mode themepark MMOs, this will be something totally different and almost shocking.

The thing is at this time I am not able to pay for a subscription to the game due to economic reasons. So I am sadly stuck in the world of F2P.

• Gyva02Gyva02 Member RarePosts: 499
    I also vouch the 2007 Titanium edition is clean and free from bugs. If Daybreak was smart they'd offer a $10.00 digital copy of it for download. I would have bought it in a heartbeat.
    Originally posted by Gyva02
    I also vouch the 2007 Titanium edition is clean and free from bugs. If Daybreak was smart they'd offer a $10.00 digital copy of it for download. I would have bought it in a heartbeat.

Agree!!!

• KeenoKeeno Member UncommonPosts: 56
    Played P99 for two weeks hard to get into with out help managed to get lv 13  then attack monsters in a area that was "claimed" by a single person, got banned.... server is very carebear and you can apparently lay claim to anything if your the only one there if someone touches your shit call in the gm and poof they are banned.
  • Gyva02Gyva02 Member RarePosts: 499
    Originally posted by Keeno
    Played P99 for two weeks hard to get into with out help managed to get lv 13  then attack monsters in a area that was "claimed" by a single person, got banned.... server is very carebear and you can apparently lay claim to anything if your the only one there if someone touches your shit call in the gm and poof they are banned.

Yikes that's scary, I knew if a place was camped you were supposed to leave it alone but sometimes its hard to know if its really being camped, especially if a solo player is camping it. They just banned you on the spot? They didn't send you a tell or anything? had you been contacted before previously about mob stealing before this ban? It's pretty scary to think you can lose everything you worked for if it was a simple mistake or if the other person decided to lie.

• KeenoKeeno Member UncommonPosts: 56
    Actually I got warned then got aggro from a mob going to zone just to be slain by admin saying I took one of him mobs and then banned. But yea fun time in p99, I wonder if first person to show up to those week long dragon spawns get first pickins... most likely.
  • MordithMordith Member UncommonPosts: 210

I think a better option would be to play on the regular EQ live server, but rather than Ragefire (which requires a subscription) you can choose one of the other servers which you can play for free (you can download and play for free).  Play a character up to around level 10 or so and if you like it, move over to P99.  At least then, you will have some background on how to play, but things will get infinitely more difficult.

Essentially, you would be using the easier free EQ live server as a tutorial.  The reason you would not want to stay with EQ live is due to the fact on live it is pretty much a solo game until you get in the later levels.

Originally posted by koboldfodder They just released the new time locked progression server, Ragefire, last night.  There are massive numbers of people playing (well, massive for an EQ server) and it is very difficult just to log on.  Also, that requires All Access pass which is basically a subscription .  But there are plenty of groups to be found, guilds to join, etc.   Or try p1999 for free.  There are a few differences, the main one being p1999 has corpse retrieval and Ragefire does not.  I think there are some other combat differences such as monk fists/mage pets not being overpowered like they are on Ragefire.   But be warned, this is not a modern MMO.  There is a massive time sink involved, and a painful learning curve for just about everything.  If you are used to easy mode themepark MMOs, this will be something totally different and almost shocking.    
    The thing is at this time I am not able to pay for a subscription to the game due to economic reasons. So I am sadly stuck in the world of F2P.

then ragefire is out. do what the guy above said, play on a live server to see if you like it or maybe play on some other servers similar to p99 that i can't name here, if you get your hands on titanium.

• hockeyplayrhockeyplayr Member UncommonPosts: 604
    I too had the same idea as you, only I didn't do any reading beforehand.  I have now spent all my time spamming the log in button just trying to play.