Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You thought asian MMO's were grindy? Try Heroes of the Storm!

HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415

So, the game went into open beta a couple days ago.  As an avid DOTA 2 player, my friend has been harassing me to play HotS for months, but i wasn't about to spend $40 for dota-lite.

Well, its "free" now, so i've tried it out, and it is reasonably fun.  Plays well, etc.

But, want to get custom stuff for your characters?  Want to get new characters to play?  Well, you have two options, open up your wallet for stupidly expensive stuff (cheapest skin i found was almost $7, mounts were ~$20 bucks, new characters averaged about $10).  Or spend a completely and utterly RIDICULOUS amount of time grinding out the gold to buy it.

The cheapest character i found was 4000 gold. You average around 20-40gold per game.  So, to buy one character out of about 40, you would have to play around 100 games.

Yes, you do get decent amounts of gold for hitting certain levels, i.e. at say level 3, and 6 and 10 and etc, you get 500-1000gold.  Thing is, that slows down big time.  I made level 6 in one night, my friend who has had the closed beta and has played well over 100 games, is only level 12.  He just barely got enough gold to buy a second character.

So, just like hearthstone (actually its worse than hearthstone), you can either spend an exorbitant amount of money, or spend an exorbitant amount of time grinding out the gold to play it.

I don't understand why they didnt just follow the dota model.  All characters unlocked, only charge for custom skins.  Its made DOTA 2 a huge cash cow for valve.

The only good thing i can say about it, at least compared to hearthstone, is at least you know what you're buying.  You're not buying some RNG thing that is gonna end up returning a whole lot of nothing to you.

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

Comments

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286
    One of the many reasons why I didn't care for HotS very much. It's a MOBA I actually enjoy playing casually, but holy hell the prices are pretty ridiculous. 
  • Not at all... I'm playing Hots too. And I'm a very casual "moba" player. I'm playing mostly Gw2 and Daoc. And time to time when I feel like it, I play Hots. And even with that I bought Jaina, Rehgar, Stitches and Valla till now. I bought all of them with gold. I only bought 2 skins and one wolf mount with real money. And I'm only level 15. There are account and hero leveling rewards, party rewards, quests etc. It's quite easy to save gold.

• HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411

Did you meantion the daily quests that give you 200 - 800 gold a day.  Nope.  Did you meantion the rotating heroes every week....nope.  Ok this seems unbias.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415
    [mod edit]

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Originally posted by Hrimnir
    So, the game went into open beta a couple days ago.  As an avid DOTA 2 player, my friend has been harassing me to play HotS for months, but i wasn't about to spend $40 for dota-lite.Well, its "free" now, so i've tried it out, and it is reasonably fun.  Plays well, etc.But, want to get custom stuff for your characters?  Want to get new characters to play?  Well, you have two options, open up your wallet for stupidly expensive stuff (cheapest skin i found was almost $7, mounts were ~$20 bucks, new characters averaged about $10).  Or spend a completely and utterly RIDICULOUS amount of time grinding out the gold to buy it.The cheapest character i found was 4000 gold. You average around 20-40gold per game.  So, to buy one character out of about 40, you would have to play around 100 games.Yes, you do get decent amounts of gold for hitting certain levels, i.e. at say level 3, and 6 and 10 and etc, you get 500-1000gold.  Thing is, that slows down big time.  I made level 6 in one night, my friend who has had the closed beta and has played well over 100 games, is only level 12.  He just barely got enough gold to buy a second character.So, just like hearthstone (actually its worse than hearthstone), you can either spend an exorbitant amount of money, or spend an exorbitant amount of time grinding out the gold to play it.I don't understand why they didnt just follow the dota model.  All characters unlocked, only charge for custom skins.  Its made DOTA 2 a huge cash cow for valve.The only good thing i can say about it, at least compared to hearthstone, is at least you know what you're buying.  You're not buying some RNG thing that is gonna end up returning a whole lot of nothing to you.
    Kids these days. None of you would've lasted five minutes in a classic arcade lol

Now everyone expects to be constantly stimulated in new and exciting ways, for free no less.

Just play or don't. Why does every aspect of every game turn into some internet rant? Get over it already.

Yeah yeah stop reading lame posts etc etc.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
    Originally posted by Horusra

Did you meantion the daily quests that give you 200 - 800 gold a day.  Nope.  Did you meantion the rotating heroes every week....nope.  Ok this seems unbias.

Funny...  the daily quest i got had a 60gold reward?  So, maybe they changed it for release.  Like i said i didnt play prior to open beta.

- Friedrich Nietzsche

• GolbezTheLionGolbezTheLion Member UncommonPosts: 347

Heroes is far from even resembling a grind, and if your friend has played 100 games and is only level 12 something is seriously wrong or you're blatantly lying to try and bolster your position. The game basically throws gold at you, so I have no idea what the fuck you're even complaining about. Myself and multiple people I play with were all level 40 well before the end of closed beta, level 12 is the equivalent of playing for less than two days.

Also, plenty of Hearthstone players have hit Legend with basic decks. I finish in the top 100 every season, without fail, and I've spent less than 60 bucks since being invited at the start of closed beta. I bought Naxx and BRM (every wing of each, the day it was released) with gold I earned from simply playing the game. I've collected almost every card in the game, minus all the golden cards, simply by playing Arena and doing my dailies.

Comparing either game to an Asian MMO is absolutely absurd. It's like night and day, they are not even close to being on the same level of grind.

This thread is ridiculous, if you're not willing to put in any effort to earn something you should just quit gaming altogether. This attitude of wanting everything instantly is ruining the industry, as someone who was born in the 70s you should be well aware of this fact, yet for some unknown reason you seem blissfully ignorant in regards to it.

Seems like nothing but a lazy individual whining about not being handed everything they want to have. Tough shit. Earn your keep like everyone else or get out of the kitchen if you can't take the heat.

• TyggsTyggs Member UncommonPosts: 456

Person is playing a game for free.... then complains he is not getting enough the the game for free.

/smh

SWTOR Referral Link

Free Goodies for new or returning players.

See what it gets you Here

Originally posted by Foomerang

So, the game went into open beta a couple days ago.  As an avid DOTA 2 player, my friend has been harassing me to play HotS for months, but i wasn't about to spend $40 for dota-lite.

Well, its "free" now, so i've tried it out, and it is reasonably fun.  Plays well, etc.

But, want to get custom stuff for your characters?  Want to get new characters to play?  Well, you have two options, open up your wallet for stupidly expensive stuff (cheapest skin i found was almost $7, mounts were ~$20 bucks, new characters averaged about $10).  Or spend a completely and utterly RIDICULOUS amount of time grinding out the gold to buy it.

The cheapest character i found was 4000 gold. You average around 20-40gold per game.  So, to buy one character out of about 40, you would have to play around 100 games.

Yes, you do get decent amounts of gold for hitting certain levels, i.e. at say level 3, and 6 and 10 and etc, you get 500-1000gold.  Thing is, that slows down big time.  I made level 6 in one night, my friend who has had the closed beta and has played well over 100 games, is only level 12.  He just barely got enough gold to buy a second character.

So, just like hearthstone (actually its worse than hearthstone), you can either spend an exorbitant amount of money, or spend an exorbitant amount of time grinding out the gold to play it.

I don't understand why they didnt just follow the dota model.  All characters unlocked, only charge for custom skins.  Its made DOTA 2 a huge cash cow for valve.

The only good thing i can say about it, at least compared to hearthstone, is at least you know what you're buying.  You're not buying some RNG thing that is gonna end up returning a whole lot of nothing to you.

Kids these days. None of you would've lasted five minutes in a classic arcade lol

Now everyone expects to be constantly stimulated in new and exciting ways, for free no less.

Just play or don't. Why does every aspect of every game turn into some internet rant? Get over it already.

What is with the influx of people trying to accuse people of being kids?

Im 32, i played in "classic" arcades all the time.  I played video games on apple II's in elementary school.

What the hell are you even talking about.

This isn't about how much time it takes.  I dont mind that.  I had over 4k hours into one character in original EQ.  The issue is that this is set up as a ridiculous timesink, SPECIFICALLY to try to push you into spending real money.

This game embodies what is wrong with F2P games.  Whereas DOTA 2 shows how F2P should be done.  Cosmetics only, all content/characters unlocked from the start.

Just for the record i've spent ~$200 on dota 2 over the last couple years.  I have no qualms spending money on games.  What i do have qualms with is when they cash gate content, and say "well you *can* earn it in game".  But thats like saying you *can* dig a 10 foot deep hole with a spoon.  Or you can pay an exorbitant amount for a shovel so you can do it faster.

- Friedrich Nietzsche

• MavolenceMavolence Member UncommonPosts: 635

I agree OP, I've seen that shit thrown around a lot here lately. It's just a simple case of attacking a poster with a differing opinion and nothing else.

• st4t1ckst4t1ck Member UncommonPosts: 768

I thought the game done well with how much gold it gives out,  You get 500 gold for every character you get to level 5. You get 8 characters in rotation, which changes every Tuesday where you get 8 different characters.  You get 16k gold from leveling 1-40 player level,  And i have never seen a Daily quest under 200 gold.

I just dont see the grind if your enjoying matches. 

• BTrayaLBTrayaL Member UncommonPosts: 624
    While I have tested HotS, I used to roll each rotating hero to lvl 5. Made quite a bit of gold, enough to buy myself 2 very expensive heroes.

• silentdevosilentdevo Member UncommonPosts: 13
    been playing HoTS for awhile now, during closed til now casually, getting the gold to unlock champions is not hard at all, from the gold you get from your account level you unlock gold, individual hero levels you unlock gold, doing daily quests you unlock gold, by playing games you unlock gold, when I think of the rate in which other mobas, have their system for unlocks, and I look at HoTS's system, I cannot see much difference, either your trolling or you haven't played many games if you call this a grind.
  • DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    [mod edit]

[mod edit]

As far as Heroes, sounds like OP might have just jumped the gun on judging it, as many people found gold generation to be reasonable.  Personally I wasn't interested in trying another streamlined, repackaged knock off from Blizzard.

• MultibyteMultibyte Member UncommonPosts: 128
    All the more reason to stay away from this.
  • CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,865
    You can also try League of Legends. You still need to get your profile level to 30 to compete in that game due to stat gains. It also has the same crappy payment model for Champions/Skins as well, unfortunately. 
  • CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,865
    Originally posted by Horusra

Funny...  the daily quest i got had a 60gold reward?  So, maybe they changed it for release.  Like i said i didnt play prior to open beta.

I would just like to point out that this is pretty blatant misinformation. The lowest amount of gold you can get from a daily quest in HOTS is 200 gold. Not to mention that you also get gold for wins, which you will likely acquire while you are doing your daily. Regardless of whether or not people agree with you, spreading false information to prove a point is not a good way to win an argument.

http://heroesofthestorm.wikia.com/wiki/Daily_Quest 

• Thunder073Thunder073 Member UncommonPosts: 108

Mtibbs1989,

"You don't know how grindy Asian MMOs can get...

Here's a list for 1 game I play for the exp per level:

This list is also out dated and the actual level cap is currently sitting at level 200 with a final experience requirement of 766.236.718.147."

What game is this? I'm interested in it lol

• khameleonkhameleon Member UncommonPosts: 486

I got all heroes but 3 of them already in a couple months playing 4-5 days a week a few matches on those days. With quests, the free stimpack, the bonus 500G for getting each hero to lvl 5(even ones that are free that week) and also level up bonus for your account it is very easy to buy new heroes. 

There is no grind when you are playing and having fun.

I was an avid dota 2 player for 2 years, this game beats that in fun factor by a mile. I played a DOTA 2 match last week just to see how I'd like it after a few months on this and my god it was a 52 min match where my team lost because of a "hero" player trying to play alone all game to carry us at the end, he failed so i wasted an hour of a boring, slow paced match that i dreaded so much.....

After HOTS I could never sit through dota 2 games again, the pace is way too slow sitting there in lanes 15min before the real action even starts most times, by them a HOTS game is over a lot of the time. 

GAME TIL YOU DIE!!!!

• Covet78Covet78 Member UncommonPosts: 149

Let me correct pretty much everything you said. Are you sure you played? You have so many lies in this.

FIrst off, There are 6 hero's available for 2000g. How could you not find one cheaper then 4000g? There are 36 hero's total right now and only 13 of them are 10000g or $10. They do not average at $10. That is the most expensive ones.

Regarding gold per game. If you refuse to give any real cash to blizzard at all, you will get 30g per win and 20g per loss. Once you hit account level 10 (super fast to do), you get a 7 day stimpack that gives you 75g per win and 50g per loss.

There are also weekly sales on hero's and cosmetics. I bought Jaina for $5 today with it's normal price of $10. If $5 is an exorbitant amount of money for you, I feel bad about your financial situation. 

There are also many 2000g reward milestones as you level. 

level 2 - 1000g

level 4 - 1000g

level 8 - 2000g

level 10 - 2000g

level 20 - 2000g

level 25 - 2000g

level 30 - 2000g

level 35 - 2000g

level 40 - 2000g

Plus you get 500g each time you get a character up to level 5, which is only 4-5 games. and with a weekly rotation of free characters, easy gold right there.

Plus the daily quests. 200-800g extra per day. When only 13 characters cost 10,000g and the rest are 2000-7000, its pretty easy and quick without spending a penny to get 10 unlocked hero's.

Get your facts straight before making up stuff to bash a game.

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Originally posted by Hrimnir So, the game went into open beta a couple days ago.  As an avid DOTA 2 player, my friend has been harassing me to play HotS for months, but i wasn't about to spend $40 for dota-lite.   Well, its "free" now, so i've tried it out, and it is reasonably fun.  Plays well, etc. But, want to get custom stuff for your characters?  Want to get new characters to play?  Well, you have two options, open up your wallet for stupidly expensive stuff (cheapest skin i found was almost $7, mounts were ~$20 bucks, new characters averaged about $10).  Or spend a completely and utterly RIDICULOUS amount of time grinding out the gold to buy it. The cheapest character i found was 4000 gold. You average around 20-40gold per game.  So, to buy one character out of about 40, you would have to play around 100 games. Yes, you do get decent amounts of gold for hitting certain levels, i.e. at say level 3, and 6 and 10 and etc, you get 500-1000gold.  Thing is, that slows down big time.  I made level 6 in one night, my friend who has had the closed beta and has played well over 100 games, is only level 12.  He just barely got enough gold to buy a second character. So, just like hearthstone (actually its worse than hearthstone), you can either spend an exorbitant amount of money, or spend an exorbitant amount of time grinding out the gold to play it. I don't understand why they didnt just follow the dota model.  All characters unlocked, only charge for custom skins.  Its made DOTA 2 a huge cash cow for valve. The only good thing i can say about it, at least compared to hearthstone, is at least you know what you're buying.  You're not buying some RNG thing that is gonna end up returning a whole lot of nothing to you.  
    Kids these days. None of you would've lasted five minutes in a classic arcade lol   Now everyone expects to be constantly stimulated in new and exciting ways, for free no less. Just play or don't. Why does every aspect of every game turn into some internet rant? Get over it already. Yeah yeah stop reading lame posts etc etc.

Im 32, i played in "classic" arcades all the time.  I played video games on apple II's in elementary school.

What the hell are you even talking about.

This isn't about how much time it takes.  I dont mind that.  I had over 4k hours into one character in original EQ.  The issue is that this is set up as a ridiculous timesink, SPECIFICALLY to try to push you into spending real money.

This game embodies what is wrong with F2P games.  Whereas DOTA 2 shows how F2P should be done.  Cosmetics only, all content/characters unlocked from the start.

Just for the record i've spent ~$200 on dota 2 over the last couple years.  I have no qualms spending money on games.  What i do have qualms with is when they cash gate content, and say "well you *can* earn it in game".  But thats like saying you *can* dig a 10 foot deep hole with a spoon.  Or you can pay an exorbitant amount for a shovel so you can do it faster.

It's your attitude. You played how long over the course of a couple days then come running to the forums to complain about the meta. You've already been called out by multiple posters in this thread who have played the game much longer than you that your information is incorrect. Then you try and back up your limited play time in hots with two years of playtime in another f2p moba? How does that work?
    Anyway. I'm sorry if I hurt your feelings. My gut reaction to posts like these is that the person is judging a game based on their experiences in other games without really spending enough time to judge the game on its own merits. That is typically juvenile so I'm sorry if you're not.

There's a difference between, " I spent the past two days playing this and it seems like... "
    And, "I spent the past two days playing this and this is how the rest of it is..."