Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

TERA: The #1 MMO on Steam by the Numbers

Comments

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by Mikeha
    Originally posted by Amjoco
    Originally posted by kitarad
    I was thinking exactly that too that Western MMOs with a few exceptions are not doing that well in the West either. So exception being the rule .... flip side.

Really though other then Guild Wars 2 which still was not hugely successful what else has there been? Stars Wars fail, Elder Scrolls fail, Wild Star fail, Age Of Conan fail, Warhamer fail, Vanguard fail, Darkfall fail, Mortal Online fail, The Secret World fail.

Sure TERA was pay to play and went free to play but going free to play for TERA made the game more successful. I don't see that with the other games that started pay to play.

Well you could say the same about SWTOR too. :) I would say the same thing will happen to ESO and WS. /shrug

ESO already went buy to play and nothing has changed at all. Wildstar we don't know until it happens. Star Wars will forever be a game that people just see as a total failure compared to what it was when it launched. That game had like 100 servers at launch?

Well judging even from this site and reading conversation, ESO has improved. It has improved not just because of going F2P, but the development team has made major changes to the game. There are no numbers, but I can't see how you say it hasn't changed for the better. 

• Justice System
    • Champion System
    • Game Rebalance
    • Other Major Gameplay Changes
    • Animation Updates
    • Provisioning Revamp
    • Collection System
    • Trial Leaderboard Changes
    • New Tutorial

Also, SWTOR had one the largest profits of any mmorpg in 2014. Less servers doesn't make something a failure and it has made a huge come back. 

1. World of Warcraft
    2. Lineage
    3. TERA: Online
    4. Star Wars: The Old Republic
    5. Lord of the Rings Online
    6. EVE Online
    7. Aion
    8. Blade and Soul
    8. Lineage 2
    10 RIFT

I'm just more of an optimist and like to think of things with a positive attitude.

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    I was thinking exactly that too that Western MMOs with a few exceptions are not doing that well in the West either. So exception being the rule .... flip side.

Really though other then Guild Wars 2 which still was not hugely successful what else has there been? Stars Wars fail, Elder Scrolls fail, Wild Star fail, Age Of Conan fail, Warhamer fail, Vanguard fail, Darkfall fail, Mortal Online fail, The Secret World fail.

Sure TERA was pay to play and went free to play but going free to play for TERA made the game more successful. I don't see that with the other games that started pay to play.

Well you could say the same about SWTOR too. :) I would say the same thing will happen to ESO and WS. /shrug

ESO already went buy to play and nothing has changed at all. Wildstar we don't know until it happens. Star Wars will forever be a game that people just see as a total failure compared to what it was when it launched. That game had like 100 servers at launch?

Well judging even from this site and reading conversation, ESO has improved. It has improved not just because of going F2P, but the development team has made major changes to the game. There are no numbers, but I can't see how you say it hasn't changed for the better. 

• Justice System
    • Champion System
    • Game Rebalance
    • Animation Updates
    • Provisioning Revamp
    • Collection System
    • New Tutorial

Also, SWTOR had one the largest profits of any mmorpg in 2014. Less servers doesn't make something a failure and it has made a huge come back. 

1. World of Warcraft
    2. Lineage
    6. EVE Online
    7. Aion
    8. Blade and Soul
    8. Lineage 2
    10 RIFT

I'm just more of an optimist and like to think of things with a positive attitude.

Sorry but that list is all the way wrong.  Blade And Soul has over 10 million players world wide and is the #2 mmo in Korea but is behind games like STAR Wars and Lord Of the Rings? Who even plays Lord Of The Rings? 

I keep up with whats going on in Korea on a weekly bases and thats not even counting places like China and Taiwan.

http://www.gamenote.com/rank_ongame/

• Justice System
    • Champion System
    • Game Rebalance
    • Animation Updates
    • Provisioning Revamp
    • Collection System
    • New Tutorial

1. World of Warcraft
    2. Lineage
    6. EVE Online
    7. Aion
    8. Blade and Soul
    8. Lineage 2
    10 RIFT

Sorry but that list is all the way wrong.  Blade And Soul has over 10 million players world wide and is the #2 mmo in Korea but is behind games like STAR Wars and Lord Of the Rings? Who even plays Lord Of The Rings? 

I keep up with whats going on in Korea on a weekly bases and thats not even counting places like China and Taiwan.

Sorry, I'm from the west. Good luck to you and gaming.

Edit: I didn't make up that list btw. http://www.polygon.com/2014/7/20/5920815/list-of-mmos-by-revenue-warcraft-old-republic

There must be quite a few people playing The Lord of Rings Online. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean you have to believe no one is playing it.

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• Justice System
    • Champion System
    • Game Rebalance
    • Animation Updates
    • Provisioning Revamp
    • Collection System
    • New Tutorial

1. World of Warcraft
    2. Lineage
    6. EVE Online
    7. Aion
    8. Blade and Soul
    8. Lineage 2
    10 RIFT

Edit: I didn't make up that list btw. http://www.polygon.com/2014/7/20/5920815/list-of-mmos-by-revenue-warcraft-old-republic

There must be quite a few people playing The Lord of Rings Online. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean you have to believe no one is playing it.

I am from the west too but if the best mmos are coming out of the east that's what I am playing. The west has went from the WoW clone era to the low budget Kickstarter want to be sandbox era while the East is still doing AAA quality mmos. Also I never said I did not like LOTRO.

Sorry but that list means nothing if it did not come from the companys behind those games. SuperData? lol

• x3cutoRx3cutoR Member UncommonPosts: 37
    One of the best communities ever! And the game by itself is awesome. Definitely deserved that title.
  • HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    Companies have to report revenue unless they are privately held, so I would doubt these numbers are false.

You are tracking asian WoW clones. Sorry, nothing new it just has an anima look to it but with more grinding. /shrug

I didn't mean that you in particular didn't like LoTRO, I was generalizing with all titles. People do play games that you aren't playing believe it or not. 

My part of this discussion was about ESO, Wildstar and how f2p will possibly help them. This was part of the topic which is Tera/Steam and how F2P helped it. I don't really care about Blade and Soul right now because I don't want to play it until it comes to the west. 

edit: snip

• azarhalazarhal Member RarePosts: 1,402

• Justice System
    • Champion System
    • Game Rebalance
    • Animation Updates
    • Provisioning Revamp
    • Collection System
    • New Tutorial

1. World of Warcraft
    2. Lineage
    6. EVE Online
    7. Aion
    8. Blade and Soul
    8. Lineage 2
    10 RIFT

It's based on reported financial results. Having a lots of players (or accounts) doesn't mean you make a lots of money. Check NCSoft financial reports (article about the recent one here), Blade&Soul makes barely more money than GW2 per quarter while being released in more places and using P2P in Korean and Japan (other markets are F2P).

Back on topic, I'm surprised Tera is that popular, I barely see anyone comments about the game anymore.

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    Originally posted by kinido

Congrats to Tera. 

It deserves it - hopefully now BlueHole can speed up some of the content releases. 

Oh, don't worry, they will.  99% of development will go to Elin.

• VaselVasel Member UncommonPosts: 226
    Its to bad they were in milk the cow mode for so long that they lost a lot of fans.
    Originally posted by azarhal

• Justice System
    • Champion System
    • Game Rebalance
    • Animation Updates
    • Provisioning Revamp
    • Collection System
    • New Tutorial

1. World of Warcraft
    2. Lineage
    6. EVE Online
    7. Aion
    8. Blade and Soul
    8. Lineage 2
    10 RIFT

It's based on reported financial results. Having a lots of players (or accounts) doesn't mean you make a lots of money. Check NCSoft financial reports (article about the recent one here), Blade&Soul makes barely more money than GW2 per quarter while being released in more places and using P2P in Korean and Japan (other markets are F2P).

Back on topic, I'm surprised Tera is that popular, I barely see anyone comments about the game anymore.

Show me those financial reports that they are based on from the company that made those games just like the NC Soft report. Blade and Soul makes barely more money then GW2 is irrelevant. How much it is making is what matters. If a mmo is making  100 mill a year and another mmo makes 120 mill a year which is barely more thats a lot of proft.

• LacedOpiumLacedOpium Member EpicPosts: 2,327

I am not surprised.  TERA is the only MMO that I have ever gone back to time and time again.  Its combat is second to none.  It is simply a beautiful game. 

Originally posted by LacedOpium

I am not surprised.  TERA is the only MMO that I have ever gone back to time and time again.  Its combat is second to none.  It is simply a beautiful game. 

TERA has always been my go to mmo when I would take breaks from Lineage 2. I have been saying for years that its one of the best on the market.

• thinktank001thinktank001 Member UncommonPosts: 2,144

Show me those financial reports that they are based on from the company that made those games just like the NC Soft report. Blade and Soul makes barely more money then GW2 is irrelevant. How much it is making is what matters. If a mmo is making  100 mill a year and another mmo makes 120 mill a year which is barely more thats a lot of proft.

They can't because those charts are " extrapolated " from data of other games.     

• zaberfangxzaberfangx Member UncommonPosts: 1,796
    Luncher from Steam side tons better then luncher out side of steam so tons people moved there even me, is like if trion didn't make a glyph run off steam,  tons people people move over there as well.
    Originally posted by Torval
    Originally posted by thinktank001

They can't because those charts are " extrapolated " from data of other games.     

Much like the data Mikeha is posting and his "10 Million" figure which is also an estimate he latched on to. Those aren't exact figures. Those are estimates based on hours reported and logins. It's still an estimate and says so on their site. By the way BnS has fallen to number 5. Terra is at 33. Most games on that list jump up and down a lot. The exceptions are LoL which is almost always number 1. Lineage which floats between 2 - 5, DnF (same 2 - 5), and one of the sports games when it releases. FIFA is the only one that comes close to the LoL numbers.

None of his numbers translate to revenue though unless you're privvy to the ARPU of the game in that region. It's just hours played which does show popularity. The number Amjoco posted are revenue numbers not popularity numbers. It just means that, in the West, those games bring in more cash than the others.

To give you some perspective about the numbers on Mikeha's link. As of this post WoW is at number 30, ArcheAge is 31, Terra 33, Echo of Soul 28, D3 25, Elsword 19, Vindictus 13, L2 12, Aion 8, Maple Story 6, Blade and Soul 5, Dungeon and Fighter 4, Lineage 3, and LoL 1. What's popular there and how much money it makes doesn't necessarily translate the same over here.

Thanks that's good information.  It was a long road from what I started with in just hoping ESO and WS bounce back as well as SWTOR has.  I think it's good for folks to broaden there gaming needs if they want, but when discussing common topics it is good to stay somewhat on the same page. I was given a link to an Asian website and I haven't brushed up on my Korean since I was stationed there in the military. I saw nothing about "I love you long time" or "you buy me juicy now". Ha

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

But eastern mmos don't do well in the west right?

Seriously, if you have even played Terra you would know that a lot of people try it, but don't go much beyond that point.  Posting numbers on any f2p game is just ridiculous.  Basing any thoughts on the player base is just hilarious and does not say much for your grasp on the genre.

• jdlamson75jdlamson75 Member UncommonPosts: 1,010
    Originally posted by Voidnova
    Its a free game that recently steam. Ofc its on top right now. Im pretty sure it will drop down eventually just like any other f2p game :p

You do realize that the second and third place games are f2p, right?

• AkumawraithAkumawraith Member UncommonPosts: 370
    Originally posted by Ozmodan

But eastern mmos don't do well in the west right?

Seriously, if you have even played Terra you would know that a lot of people try it, but don't go much beyond that point.  Posting numbers on any f2p game is just ridiculous.  Basing any thoughts on the player base is just hilarious and does not say much for your grasp on the genre.

F2P players bases should be tracked and ranked just like subbed and B2P games.. they arent anything special with exception to how they rip players off.. but in retrospect the players let them do it so its all good. Tera is one of the few that does F2P reasonably well... Lets hope Steam doesnt ask for any over zealous pricing on DLC packs... They are notorious for that crap.

Played: UO, LotR, WoW, SWG, DDO, AoC, EVE, Warhammer, TF2, EQ2, SWTOR, TSW, CSS, KF, L4D, AoW, WoT

Playing: The Secret World until Citadel of Sorcery goes into Alpha testing.

Tired of: Linear quest games, dailies, and dumbed down games

Anticipating:Citadel of Sorcery

• MrgrossoMrgrosso Member Posts: 1
    Today is The Best!!
  • BraindomeBraindome Member UncommonPosts: 959
    Originally posted by Skuall
    the game released on steam some days ago,  of course is gonna be #1 on steam , what surprise me is neverwinter after that horrible MOD....is 2nd and not far from tera

I would associate this to the search feature and it bearing the name of a classic franchise. People search for "Neverwinter" find this, get curious download, play and become very disappointed.....ok that may not have been necessary for me to say, but I know I sure was disappointed considering the name it bears.

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    Originally posted by Torval

Here are the numbers today (24 hour peak/all-time) as a comparison to the previous posts.

TERA:  22,168 (new all-time peak)

Rift:  1,860 / 11,647

FF14:  6,237 / 7,401

EVE:  1,581 / 3,690

Neverwinter:  4,550 / 14,822

ArcheAge:  3,605 / 6,490

Elder Scrolls Online:  2,752 / 5,067

It's really not that surprising, since they just released their new expansion and gunner class.

• DarkHighDarkHigh Member UncommonPosts: 157

TERA is great and the terrible community has improved greatly with its steam release.

inb4 GUILD WARS 2 NOW COMING TO STEAM! -- Arena net puts GW2 on sale every time another mmo has an expansion or a new release I wouldn't be at all surprised to see them launch on steam JUST to win the numbers game.

• syriinxsyriinx Member UncommonPosts: 1,383

Not remotely a knock on the game, but I just find it hard to believe LOTRO makes more revenue than, say, Everquest 1.

And theres no chance in hell it makes more money than FFXIV

• HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680

• Justice System
    • Champion System
    • Game Rebalance
    • Animation Updates
    • Provisioning Revamp
    • Collection System
    • New Tutorial

1. World of Warcraft
    2. Lineage
    6. EVE Online
    7. Aion
    8. Blade and Soul
    8. Lineage 2
    10 RIFT

This is the ego of U.S. gamer's. Blade and Soul and Echo of Souls are both doing great world wide. Both game's will be a blast to play.