Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Witcher 3, tell us about it :)

2»

Comments

• Stuka1000Stuka1000 Member UncommonPosts: 955
    Originally posted by Korhindi

I am enjoying Witcher 3 (PC Version-- using Keyboard and Mouse), but I really, really hate the movement in this game. 

My old '77 Ford Granada handled better than Geralt does!  Roach has it worse off, for aircraft carriers have a tighter turn radius than poor roach does.  The fact is, turning is a real chore.

You get three walking speeds: Unbearably slow, slow, and pretty decent.  Choose anything but "Unbearably slow" and when you try to stop, Geralt will slide like a major leaguer trying to slide into home for the game winning run.  I slid off a cliff by taking only ONE step trying to pick a flower (Took a 3' step and slid 15').

As if not being able to steer and stop is bad enough, Geralt seems to catch on everything.  This can be problematic since much of the game involves tight spaces, stuff stashed in areas with low ceilings and so on.

Warning: Geralt can only climb up, not down.  His only method of climbing down (unless at a ladder) is via gravity.  Gravity in this world is harsh-- the first 10' cause no damage; 11' and more = Death.

It also should be noted that in combat Geralt has only one reverse speed-- so slow that he stands there and gets pounded.  The best option is to either attack furiously, parry or roll and pray he will ACTUALLY run when told to (often he won't if he is still within the game's definition of combat range).

I get very good frame rates -- 60+.  The graphics are good, but not great.  I like the flavor of the world and the quests are pretty well thought out.  There is lots to do.  As a RPG, it is very good-- if you can navigate through this gorgeous world without cussing up a storm in frustration.

I fully agree, although having now spent almost a full day with the game I'm actually getting bored with it.  It just misses the mark for me but by far my biggest gripe is with the controls and movement.  The sad thing is that it will win GOTY which has been all but bought and paid for.  Just look at all the so called awards it won before it was released.  It's like handing out Olympic medals before the events have taken place.

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081

I am enjoying Witcher 3 (PC Version-- using Keyboard and Mouse), but I really, really hate the movement in this game. 

My old '77 Ford Granada handled better than Geralt does!  Roach has it worse off, for aircraft carriers have a tighter turn radius than poor roach does.  The fact is, turning is a real chore.

You get three walking speeds: Unbearably slow, slow, and pretty decent.  Choose anything but "Unbearably slow" and when you try to stop, Geralt will slide like a major leaguer trying to slide into home for the game winning run.  I slid off a cliff by taking only ONE step trying to pick a flower (Took a 3' step and slid 15').

As if not being able to steer and stop is bad enough, Geralt seems to catch on everything.  This can be problematic since much of the game involves tight spaces, stuff stashed in areas with low ceilings and so on.

Warning: Geralt can only climb up, not down.  His only method of climbing down (unless at a ladder) is via gravity.  Gravity in this world is harsh-- the first 10' cause no damage; 11' and more = Death.

It also should be noted that in combat Geralt has only one reverse speed-- so slow that he stands there and gets pounded.  The best option is to either attack furiously, parry or roll and pray he will ACTUALLY run when told to (often he won't if he is still within the game's definition of combat range).

I get very good frame rates -- 60+.  The graphics are good, but not great.  I like the flavor of the world and the quests are pretty well thought out.  There is lots to do.  As a RPG, it is very good-- if you can navigate through this gorgeous world without cussing up a storm in frustration.

Same here for everything you say here about Keyboard and mouse.

Only a few hours in and I'm getting a little better at the movement but not much. You do have to make sharp turns inside buildings and you cant see your feet very well for kicking into stuff.

I'm hoping its just another getting used to the controls type thing that I find in every game....at least I hope !

So far the game is Great.... more to come about that, but its still too early to tell.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by delete5230

Only a few hours in and I'm getting a little better at the movement but not much. You do have to make sharp turns inside buildings and you cant see your feet very well for kicking into stuff.

I'm hoping its just another getting used to the controls type thing that I find in every game....at least I hope !

So far the game is Great.... more to come about that, but its still too early to tell.

I'm level 10 and I'm still not used to walking/turning is tight places although, toggling to walk using Ctrl helps a bit.

It's that falling damage that needs tuning badly: way too much damage for small jumps as it it.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by Iselin
    Originally posted by Distopia
    Originally posted by Mikeha
    First time ever using GOG was when I got The Witcher 3 yesterday and had no problems at all. I like it much better then STEAM actually.

Did you use Galaxy? Without it you need to DL it in several 4 GB chunks. Galaxy reminds me a lot of Origin actually.

No you don't...

When I went to preload it from the GOG website, before I had installed Galaxy, that was the only option I saw: multiple pieces to DL.

Right beside the galaxy tab there is a button that says more, within, you can download the full GOG installer file.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• luisrkillerluisrkiller Member UncommonPosts: 107
    Originally posted by delete5230

I'm level 10 and I'm still not used to walking/turning is tight places although, toggling to walk using Ctrl helps a bit.

It's that falling damage that needs tuning badly: way too much damage for small jumps as it it.

I thought i was the only one who noticed this, its pretty annoying having to start a boss fight with half health because you fell 4 feet down from a rock you were supposed to jump from.

Other than this, I'm truly amazed by this game!

• jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237

I am about 10 hours in on the PC version. Playing with an Xbox 360 controller instead of KB / M tho.

Movement is a little wonky, taking some getting used too. I have had the game crash on me once so far, other than that its been smooth.

Overall I am enjoying it. I do wish there were options to create your own Geralt so to speak, kind of like Mass Effect. Other than that I have no complaints so far.

The world is big, graphics are very nice ( although the wind seems to blow at a constant 70 mph by looking at the trees), gameplay is deep enough for an RPG, story is really good IMO.

Well worth the purchase IMO.

I will say that the Min. specs posted are somewhat misleading.

My system is OK and still runs it well.

I5 2500k, 16gb RAM, SSD, 7870 (  in a nutshell). I run with graphics on High and post processing on Med. and get 45 fps avg. Not the best but much better than what you would expect with what they listed as Min. specs for running it.

• thekid1thekid1 Member UncommonPosts: 789

Only a few hours in, really did not get far before calling it quits.

The good:

Very nice artwork, the clothing, buildings, the trees, etc.

Loads up very fast

The bad:

Camera is to close

FOV is to low

Can't talk to most NPC's

No walk/run button only a toggle

Mediocre graphics (my AMD 965 with a R9 270 can run at near max at 1080p)

Horrible fighting controls with keyboard (first RPG ever I really need a controller)

Terrible horse riding controls

No free view camera when moving

• eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809

graphics are great on my average system i5- 3470, ati 7870, 8 gigs of ram, playing on mostly high with shadows on medium and I think textures on ultra. controls though do need a fix, the sliding thing is bad and should have been checked before release

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    I still haven't played the witcher 3 but am a huge fan of the previous two games. There was one major beef I had with the other two games and what I wanted to find out - controls. 2 and especially 1 had horrible controls, I tried both mouse and keyboard and a controller. At times it was just disgusting but I played the game despite this. It seems from some of the posts here they still haven't got the controls right which if true would be sad as that's the one thing that keeps this series from being truly great.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• klash2defklash2def Member EpicPosts: 1,949

Game is amazing. If you are looking for a open world to get lost in for hundreds of hours this is your place. Its gonna sound weird but the best way to describe it for people is if you take The Witcher 2 + AC2  +  A dash of Skyrim = The Witcher 3 

Ive been playing for about 30 hours now, and man its just amazing the sheer scope of the game. Its freaking huge. When it first loaded up i was thinking okay this is like maybe the size of skyrim, but as the my story went on, i began to realize that this game is far larger in space than skyrim GTA and the other witchers combined. Thats insane. I still havent explored  the entire world just maybe a quarter of it and its massive. I also read they are adding more landmass in new DLCs that btw are free.. WIN. Graphics? Amazing. 

Quests are everywhere at almost every turn there is something to discover that later on in the game may make a difference. So far it feels like EVERYTHING you do that involves people has some sort of outcome or effect on the game experience. For instance: I helped a man find his daughter and wife who went missing. Through that whole thing I found out about dark family secrets and other things of that nature (no spoilers here) but my prodding and "helping" ended up in  the death  of the man who asked me for help in the first place. Its almost like there is no right or wrong only consequences. I dont know if that makes sense. 

The stories are really well done, and nothing that you do in the game ever feels like a side quest. Everything feels like a big deal every side quest , every kill. everything. 

But yea guys really good game some bugs here and there but good game still so far. again this is about 30 hrs in. 

TLDR: Overall 9/10

QUICK REVIEW

Gameplay 9.5

(Some bugs early on with horses and animations but not game breaking yet for me) Fighting mechs have learning curve but i think it depends on what level difficulty you play on. (Im playing on the one above normal cant think what its called atm) Overall fighting feel fluid and the spellcasting actually does something. I love the fact that you have to prepare for fights still as the other witcher games but they streamlined it more, not made it easier just.. more accessible. 

Graphics 10

Stunning. Early in the game you step out to see the world for the first time. You will see for yourself exactly why I say stunning.

Controls 9.0

As I mentioned, the controls had some bug issues early on in my experience nothing game breaking just something with the horse animations when they get spooked, other than that the controls are a great improvement over TW2. Fighting is fluid and weapons feel heavy when you swing them. Like i said there are some bugs in my exp with horses being spooked but other than that its smooth. 

Sound 9.0

Amazing music  and overall feel of setting. Voice Over was done very well by great actors but music can be a bit loopy as in repeats a lot of the same material. Final mix and mastering of vocals and music is very well done. (This is coming from an audio engineer) 

Story (So far) 9.5

Amazing. Lots of mature subjects/topics from gay/lesbian relationships, to rape and abuse in a family setting to the death of loved ones and politics. Also sex.. Good amount of sex. (Say that last bit like Stewie from family guy) 

Customization 8.0

There are some pretty good options for customizing your G how you want to..as far as skills are concerned. You can be the bomb tossing alchemist , a master swordsman or  put all your points into signs (magic) or a mix of those its up to you. Thats all i know of currently there may be more options there. I think the only thing lacking is more options to customize G.. They did include a few haircuts, and beard options but it would be cool to have a body slider making him more built, taller, shorter, fatter whatever. Hey I know this is about G but it would have been perfect for me if I could have made my own witcher at some point like maybe after you finish G's story you can travel the world as a new witcher, but living in the world your version of Geralt made/influenced! ( I can dream) 

PS this game for me is 9/10 only because you cant make your own witcher.  Im being greedy but IMAGINE HOW CRAZY THAT WOULD BE.  Game is still very good though! 

THIS IS NOT A FULL REVIEW BECAUSE I HAVE NOT FINISHED GAME, THIS IS MY QUICK LOOK AT WHAT IVE EXPERIENCED SO FAR. YMMV and YES I REALIZE THIS GAME ISNT FOR EVERYBODY AND A LOT OF PEOPLE WILL DISLIKE GAME. COOL GOOD FOR YOU DONT SUPPORT IT JUST DONT BASH THOSE OF US WHO ARE HAVING FUN..

EDIT: This was for the XBOX ONE version. I have not played the steam version yet. I do own it just in case ya know MODS. 

Also people who have only played a hour or so, I am telling you it gets better the further you go into the story.. you are missing out if you only play ANY new RPG game for just an hour before making a judgement on it.. 

"Beliefs don't change facts. Facts, if you're reasonable, should change your beliefs."

"The Society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools."

Currently: Games Audio Engineer, you didn't hear what I heard, you heard what I wanted you to hear. 

• DaemonweaverDaemonweaver Member UncommonPosts: 124

I downloaded with Steam, was fast and easy.

Graphics look great, I am able to run with ultra and NVidia hair physics, really cool.

Story and cut scenes seem pretty good though I have only got as far as killing the ghouls in the tutorial.

Unfortunately for me this is probably as far as I will ever get as the controls for mouse and keyboard are terrible and this combined with the FOV is making me nauseous especially while fighting (this is the 1st game ever that has had this effect on me, even games where this has been a major problem have never left me feeling like this).

So at the moment for me the game is a total waste of 60 euro and it is a shame cos it looks awesome. I just hope these issues get addressed and one day I can enjoy the game.

• snowman22snowman22 Member UncommonPosts: 54

i have a full AMD machine fx-8350(OC to 5ghz) r9 290 (first release unlocked to 290x), 16gb ram running on a sony 43x83c 4k 42in screen. 

the game looks amazing on 1440p at 30fps.(i havent done the d-dvi to hdmi 2.0 work around, and i prefer 1440p to full 4k). but i have to agree that if you play at 1080p it looks like a console game, maybe with DSR VSR you can get the blocky edges and shit draw distance gone. but 1440p and up it is the best looking skin graphics i have ever seen. almost to the point that the enviroment and clothing look like they are out of place, still amazing detail but the skin in the game is like 4x the resolution of the rest of game. the skin texures seem out of place like how i feel watching the newest transformers on 4k.

anyway back to the game. thankfully it is not a "fake" open world as i call them, like the newest batman game or assisans creed. Nor is it an elderscrolls or fallout open world, since there is no custom avatar, you do not do most of the crafting, it is more like you go to a crafter and say hey i got the parts i got the design now make me stuff. maybe you can roll play that you are renting his equipment but ehh.

the combat is great, took like 10 minutes to get used too it, prior to launch i played witcher 1, didnt get to witcher 2. 1 reminds me of a cellphone game timing your strikes to get hits.  this game reminds me most of tera style combat with diferent key bindings.

the game its self so far i like, they added back risk v reward without it just being harder equals more health on mobs. it make me feel like i was playing marrowind, i say this because the areas are not like catered just to the level you enter them in, so of the "?" spots will one shot you in areas where you are doing low level missions. and thank god they didnt do the "world levels with you" crap bethesda has been doing now.

over all great game and i got it for 50% off so cannot complain.

• CoatedCoated Member UncommonPosts: 507

Couldn't get past the atrociously bad combat and controls for the PC.

The Witcher 3 is just another case of a good game executed terrible for the PC because of consoles. The moment you log into the game, it becomes blatantly apparent that this game was made for console and exported to PC. Meaning, that everything was half ass'd for the controls on the PC. Just trying to pick up herbs off the ground becomes a challenge with how bad the character reacts, functions and the lag from input to execution.

The combat, aside from the controls, is terrible. It is some crappy hack and slash with very little thought put into it. The monster AI is atrociously bad as well. A lot of times, you can bug out most encounters so you don't even have to fight. The majority of my fights were just me hiding behind something and letting them get bugged out on the corners of houses/environment as they tried to follow. There are plenty more examples I could go into as well, such as performing in circles, dodging and skill hit range.

I may give this game another go, but it will 'only' be for the story. I think i remember seeing a story mode option, so I'll choose that the next go through. Other than that, I see no reason to play this game on the PC. It is a clunky, misappropriated mess of garbage.

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081

Today I went out and got a Xbox 360 controller for my PC, at first the movement got just a little better and after a few more hours of play, the movement is definitely improving and almost bearable....Also I can sit back on my couch because I'm gonna try and be in this game for the long haul.

And added side note :

Youtub tips are already starting to flood in to give a lot of added help ( lots of deep stuff in this game, I'm trying to not miss out on ).

Some things I'm not really crazy about :

- Too many cut videos that pop you into long conversations at random.

- I get this quest to fight the Griffon. Two seconds before the fight I get handed a cross bow and I'm expected to use it as I'm being attacked, what's up with stuff like this ? 

• thekid1thekid1 Member UncommonPosts: 789

I play at 1080p and the scenery looks like playing at a much lower resolution.

I thought I was going bananas everybody calling this a stunning looking game, I think it looks rather pants for an AAA game. The scenery that is, characters are al right and proper high res.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • JDis25JDis25 Member RarePosts: 1,353

Witcher and Dragon Age games suffer from "clunkiness". I feel it's a challenge to do anything in these games. Inventory management sucks, Crafting sucks, wonky camera, no first person...

I think Geralt is cool, but I wish he was a main character and your buddy, rather than the player character. I also like it when games are more "Arcade like" and less realistic in the way that Witcher and Dragon age tend to be. Everyone had issues with Skyrim's combat but to me, I just want to swing a sword in first person and hit people with it. I want to cast spells and aim the spell myself. I want to shoot arrows at people and aim the arrow in first person.

Witcher 3 would be my favorite game if the combat was like ES and there was a character editor.

Now Playing: Bless / Summoners War
    Looking forward to: Crowfall / Lost Ark / Black Desert Mobile
  • rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502

I like Mack's review https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIeEZeKN8JE pretty scathing in places but praise-worthy where it deserves it.

The game is quite good but it could be so much better. It's a shame CDPR didn't spend a bit more time on mechanics and consistency.  Hopefully they can address some of the dissapointment via patches, they seem very good at supporting their games post-release.

• GaeluianGaeluian Member UncommonPosts: 114
    I just can't get past the sloppy controls and my character on one side of the screen.
  • strawhat0981strawhat0981 Member RarePosts: 1,198
    I guess the game did not live up to expectations? 

Originally posted by laokoko
    "if you want to be a game designer, you should sell your house and fund your game. Since if you won't even fund your own game, no one will".

• kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452

First off let me say this game is mindblowing.But it does have a few minor problems.One was the keyboard layout which some keys were locked.That is no longer the case.They did a patch today to let everyone remap keys to their favourite way.

Now the quests.Not came across one bad quest yet.All voice acted to a very high degree.And there are some pretty twisted and sick ones in there has you would expect.

Graphics are amazing and CDPR seem to be improving the games gfx to the point where you can make it look has beautriful has your pc can handle.

Not suffered crashes other than an inventory one on the first day.Not came across a bugged quest yet but I,m only 40 hrs into the game.

Summary from what I have played so far.This is by far the greatest game I have had the pleasure to play.But that's just my personal choice.

Problem is ,is that this game sets the bar so high that when they next do a game which I think CDPR next game is Cyberpunk 2077 people will expect the same level of brilliance and anything less they will come in for criticism.Gamers are fickle afterall.

Just my 2 cents.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by rpmcmurphy

I like Mack's review https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIeEZeKN8JE pretty scathing in places but praise-worthy where it deserves it.

The game is quite good but it could be so much better. It's a shame CDPR didn't spend a bit more time on mechanics and consistency.  Hopefully they can address some of the dissapointment via patches, they seem very good at supporting their games post-release.

Yikes, the video expresses what I feel minus all the cursing. It's still fun to play, it just loses a lot of points from me because of the combat.

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• ShodanasShodanas Member RarePosts: 1,933

Patch 1.04 fo the PC is out addressing a number of issues, performance and stability ones included. It also brings a complete key rebind option. More such patches will follow.