Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

H1Z1: Nearly 25,000 Players Banned

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Daybreak Game Company is taking a hard stance against hackers and cheaters in H1Z1. According to a flurry of Tweets by CEO John Smedley, nearly 25,000 players have been banned recently.

If we ban 30k and unban 20 for making videos that are seen by a lot of people, and they apologize.. I'll take it.

— John Smedley (@j_smedley) May 20, 2015

24,837 have been banned for cheating.

— John Smedley (@j_smedley) May 18, 2015

Source: GamesIndustry.biz

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• TsaboHavocTsaboHavoc Member UncommonPosts: 435
    is this a f2p game? Create a new account cheat again no harm done
  • ahmalikahmalik Member UncommonPosts: 9
    Its in early access so still have to buy to access the game.
  • EvilghostDKEvilghostDK Member UncommonPosts: 1

retail Price not free - pay type not free - monthly fee not free :(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((

• DankMcNastyDankMcNasty Member Posts: 11
    Screw cheating how do I even get into this game. Half the time it freezes at the loading screen.
  • sadbadmadsadbadmad Member CommonPosts: 4
    Good move, I wish every company was treating the players so seriously. No reason to let the cheaters ruin good games, really.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

/sigh

Is Smed for real?

Can Blizzard and SOE do anything independent of each other?

Blizzard announces bans, a day later Smed announces bans,beautiful timing lol.

Here is what i have to say about bans in ANY game,if it gets into the multiple thousands what does that say about the ACTIVE work of the developer and GM's?What does it say about their ability to stop cheating?

I can answer the last one because i have followed the cheating scene since it began back in the Unreal/Quake days.

Unless you are serving up 100% server side gaming,you will NOT stop the cheating.I have seen hundreds of mutliple anti cheat programs/renditions during my Unreal/Quake days and it lasts for like 1-3 days max and that is only catching one at a time,meaning tons of others will still go on cheating.

It is sad but perhaps another reason that devs need to better plan their game design around cheating.It also gives new argument to tab targeting being the better way to go,that way nobody gets an advantage.

Personally H1Z1 is not worth supporting to begin with,playing ONE game mode BR gets boring way too fast.Grab a gun,grab ammo,grab med  kits,hope to find a vehicle,avoid the green gas,rinse repeat.There are a few people who bring role play into the equation "kudos to them" but for the most part it is a shallow form of gaming,with nobody crafting aside from bandages and no game play aside from run from gas and avoid being killed.

Smed's entire push is to support only BR because it is the only viable way he has to make money after the initial sale of a F2p game lol.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465

25k out of how many cheating?

And notice that it did not specify that these were permanent bans.

And even so, so what? No mention of fixing what allowed them to cheat in the first place, which will matter when the game is released and goes F2P, in which case bans mean nothing.

Always watch what Smed says: you know he is lying when his lips (physical or digital) are moving.

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

Today's headline from DGC: "25K accounts banned today for cheating !"

Tomorrow's headline from DGC: "25K new accounts created today ! New record set for H1Z1 !"

F2P is wonderful, lol

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    And this is why we can't have nice things...

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• GolbezTheLionGolbezTheLion Member UncommonPosts: 347
    Originally posted by SpottyGekko

Today's headline from DGC: "25K accounts banned today for cheating !"

Tomorrow's headline from DGC: "25K new accounts created today ! New record set for H1Z1 !"

F2P is wonderful, lol

Only it isn't F2P, it costs $19.99 USD on Steam.

It won't be going F2P anytime soon, that is a guarantee. Daybreak needs the revenue from those sales and sure as hell isn't going to give them up, especially when banning a cheater means that the individual has to spend another $19.99 to get a fresh account every time they get pinched.

• LacedOpiumLacedOpium Member EpicPosts: 2,327
    Originally posted by Wizardry

/sigh

Is Smed for real?

Can Blizzard and SOE do anything independent of each other?

Blizzard announces bans, a day later Smed announces bans,beautiful timing lol.

Here is what i have to say about bans in ANY game,if it gets into the multiple thousands what does that say about the ACTIVE work of the developer and GM's?What does it say about their ability to stop cheating?

I can answer the last one because i have followed the cheating scene since it began back in the Unreal/Quake days.

Unless you are serving up 100% server side gaming,you will NOT stop the cheating.I have seen hundreds of mutliple anti cheat programs/renditions during my Unreal/Quake days and it lasts for like 1-3 days max and that is only catching one at a time,meaning tons of others will still go on cheating.

It is sad but perhaps another reason that devs need to better plan their game design around cheating.It also gives new argument to tab targeting being the better way to go,that way nobody gets an advantage.

Personally H1Z1 is not worth supporting to begin with,playing ONE game mode BR gets boring way too fast.Grab a gun,grab ammo,grab med  kits,hope to find a vehicle,avoid the green gas,rinse repeat.There are a few people who bring role play into the equation "kudos to them" but for the most part it is a shallow form of gaming,with nobody crafting aside from bandages and no game play aside from run from gas and avoid being killed.

Smed's entire push is to support only BR because it is the only viable way he has to make money after the initial sale of a F2p game lol.

Its an PvP FPS game fronting as an MMORPG.  Welcome to the bastardisation of the MMORPG genre by the hardcore FPS crowd.  It is where we are at with the MMORPG genre.  It is confused and lacking direction.  In short, it sucks.

• MakidianMakidian Member UncommonPosts: 208
    Pretty sure daybreak (soe) hardware bans.
  • aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387
    Originally posted by Octagon7711
    And this is why we can't have nice things...

I'm not sure H1Z1 or Smed can be classified as "nice things"... otherwise I would've agree with you

• CoatedCoated Member UncommonPosts: 507

Play a game of Battle Royal.

Make it to top 20.

See a naked man on top of hill with arms spread out like jesus on cross.

Dead in one shot from half way across map.

Play another game of Battle Royal.

In open field, no bushes or things to hide behind near me. Using ALT to look around 360 all time.

.5 seconds later, after having just looked behind me, shotgun to back.

Guy teleports right behind me.

Almost every battle royal that i get to top 20 in, I see GM's posting that they banned player "X" for cheating. Now, keep in mind, these are the people they are catching, there are a lot more being very sneaky. However, the point remains. Every damn game, you can expect cheaters.

Originally posted by Coated

Play a game of Battle Royal.

Make it to top 20.

See a naked man on top of hill with arms spread out like jesus on cross.

Dead in one shot from half way across map.

Play another game of Battle Royal.

In open field, no bushes or things to hide behind near me. Using ALT to look around 360 all time.

.5 seconds later, after having just looked behind me, shotgun to back.

Guy teleports right behind me.

Almost every battle royal that i get to top 20 in, I see GM's posting that they banned player "X" for cheating. Now, keep in mind, these are the people they are catching, there are a lot more being very sneaky. However, the point remains. Every damn game, you can expect cheaters.

Except the no-longer SOE practically never bans anyone permanently: that is just potential cash shop customer lost to them.

They banned plenty of people in PS2 that were back within a few days or a week. I know this to be a fact. Same with their other games.

So, just because Smed says they banned a bunch of people does not mean: 1. the ban is permanent, or 2. that those people won't be back, or 3. that Smed was talking out his ass to try to do some damage control, because hacking in H1Z1 is still out of control.

• GolbezTheLionGolbezTheLion Member UncommonPosts: 347
    Originally posted by Makidian
    Pretty sure daybreak (soe) hardware bans.

They do sometimes.

However, hardware bans are exceptionally easy to bypass. Smedley has openly acknowledged this fact multiple times and makes no attempt to hide it. He mentioned it as recently as earlier today, on reddit:

http://www.reddit.com/r/h1z1/comments/36ne71/my_thoughts_on_the_public_apologies/

"These guys could easily go right back in, make a new steam account.. use an HWID hack and play anyways. Yes, that's the reality. It's ugly, but there it is."

Hardware bans sound great on paper, but are not anywhere near as effective as some people tend to believe.

• KimoKimo Member UncommonPosts: 62

Funny how most of these sweeping huge bans happen to be targeting people cheating in PvP.  All this extra effort the developers need to extend to combat cheaters is ridiculous.

Eliminate PvP from a good game and eliminate the need to ban thousands, and hundreds of thousands of players.  Yes, folks will still cheat, but on such a minor scale that it will not affect a games population.  I don't care if someone uses a speed hack in a PvE game - they'll eventually get caught. 

• DijonCyanideDijonCyanide Member UncommonPosts: 586

I've watch the gameplay on YouTube & Twitch & still am holding-out hope for this game when it releases.

I'm not the type to pay to beta test though, because I grew-up while gaming invited players to beta test for free.

The industry dresses it up all they want, but it's beta testing their unfinished game.

Compliments to those players that are willing to pay to do so though;  shame to the players that do so & then cheat.

Last I had read was that H1Z1 would be a free-to-play game so this banning of players paying to test the game is somewhat hilarious.

If H1Z1 keeps showing improvements & I think I'd enjoy the game when it releases with it's current direction then just like many players I'll toss some money at it.

There's been a lot I disagreed with, comment-wise & decisions affecting players, over the years all the way back to EQ1 stemming from Smedley, but his directness sometimes I appreciate even if I don't agree.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

perfect example of the internet... complain about hackers... hackers get banned... complain about banning hackers..

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Gaming company bans hackers and they get bashed for doing so? Sad.
  • HeraseHerase Member RarePosts: 993
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle

Yeah is a bit crazy. They can't just have banned people because they were asked by the community, there has to be some scheme behind it

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by DMKano
    Originally posted by Caldrin

perfect example of the internet... complain about hackers... hackers get banned... complain about banning hackers..

But aren't you complaining about people complaining about banning hackers? :)

That wasn't a complaint, that was simply an observation. A true one at that.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

Originally posted by Herase
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle

Yeah is a bit crazy. They can't just have banned people because they were asked by the community, there has to be some scheme behind it

You are 100% correct, this is Smed we are talking about.

He was either lying, or it makes no difference anyway because the cheaters will be right back, he even said as much.

So in the end, it was just Smed trying to put out some positive spin to counter the fact that hackers are all over his shiny new game, before it even "releases".

• meonthissitemeonthissite Member UncommonPosts: 917
    Guess they wanted to see if their rabid fanboys would be drooling at the mouth if they announce this like GW2 video that was posted recently of a dev deleting an account to try to drum up support. It's amazing what companies will do these days to get themselves back into the spotlight but they won't fix their games.