Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

wtf is going on with mmorpg gamers...

Comments

• GardavsshadeGardavsshade Member UncommonPosts: 907
    Originally posted by svandy

I recently resubbed to Wildstar and I'm glad i did. I left for the same reasons many did, chief among them was the small playerbase. But I'm glad I returned. They will likely go free to play, when they do the population will get a pretty good injection and I imagine the game will become profitable. The game, unfortunately, just came out at the wrong time.

I am still totally baffled by the rage about the graphics. So many games have cartoonish looking graphics and no one bats an eye. It's almost like people wanted a reason to take Wildstar down a notch. Either way, I'll play again for as long as its fun for me and move on when its not, not gonna stress over the feelings of the rabid and fickle MMO playerbase.

Actually.... lol.... I hate cartoony graphics in a MMO. One of the reasons I don't like World of Warcraft.

When WildStar was in beta I saw that WildStar had so much of what I had been waiting for in a Sci-Fi MMO that I actually sub'd to WoW long enough to try to "nullify" my dislike of the cartoony graphics. It worked. Once I got into WildStar beta the graphics did not bother me.

But I don't play MMOs with that style of graphics often, and I noticed lately that that style is starting to get on my nerves again.... lol

Some Players DO "bat an eye" over cartoony graphics... it's just with the number one MMO having cartoony graphics it's pointless to say anything about how some of us DON'T like them. The majority has a way of making discussions simply not worth it.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by svandy

I recently resubbed to Wildstar and I'm glad i did. I left for the same reasons many did, chief among them was the small playerbase. But I'm glad I returned. They will likely go free to play, when they do the population will get a pretty good injection and I imagine the game will become profitable. The game, unfortunately, just came out at the wrong time.

I am still totally baffled by the rage about the graphics. So many games have cartoonish looking graphics and no one bats an eye. It's almost like people wanted a reason to take Wildstar down a notch. Either way, I'll play again for as long as its fun for me and move on when its not, not gonna stress over the feelings of the rabid and fickle MMO playerbase.

Totally agree. A huge game that no one seems to complain about is Minecraft which is not only cartoony but pretty hard to look at. Also, another title that is doing pretty well is Trove, and it doesn't get much more Looney Tunes than this.

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• reeereeereeereee Member UncommonPosts: 1,636

Simple answer OP.  Linear quest grind.

I remember logging into closed beta and the first thing I saw was a hovering gold exclamation mark and my hype for the game crashed harder than than the rocket that was in ruins around my character.

in 2014, and 2015, for that matter.  If you have traditional WoW style quest based leveling you're doing it wrong.  The vast majority of MMO players have done that to death and are ready for something new.

Also, the dissonance of having a graphic style that caters to 10 year-olds with endgame PvE built around hardcore raiding meant to appeal to people in their 30s and 40s didn't help at all.

Originally posted by reeereee

I remember logging into closed beta and the first thing I saw was a hovering gold exclamation mark and my hype for the game crashed harder than than the rocket that was in ruins around my character.

in 2014, and 2015, for that matter.  If you have traditional WoW style quest based leveling you're doing it wrong.  The vast majority of MMO players have done that to death and are ready for something new.

Also, the dissonance of having a graphic style that caters to 10 year-olds with endgame PvE built around hardcore raiding meant to appeal to people in their 30s and 40s didn't help at all.

You mean like this? It seems to have worked for millions. (I'm having fun with images today.)

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• danwest58danwest58 Member RarePosts: 2,012

I am not going to bash the game.  However Like I said 20/40 man raiding is dead.  Its never going to work again.  I loved it back when I was young and I was a Raid leader of a 40 man raiding guild.  It was a pain in the ass and fun in its time.  People like me who done it no longer want to do large raids period.  So to design a game around that was folly when you spend a few hundred million dollars.  It might have worked on a 60 Million dollar budget but not a hundred million.  

Also Action Combat for me does not work.  I already had to have surgery done on my wrist because of twitch combat of FPSs so I no longer play action combat type games. 

• StoneRosesStoneRoses Member RarePosts: 1,779

Poor Agreements and Excuses for pretty much every game:

Treadmill: Pretty much any hobby! You just pick your poison. Especially if you are so passionate about it. You don’t even have to be on the same level as everyone else. You keep playing Solitaire because you love it and you don’t care how repetitive it is. VIDEO GAMES are REPETITIVE!

Cartoonish: Every video game is a FUCKING cartoon, some more than others.

Performance: I run AMD, yes, it sucks that the performance was bad, but Drop 5 performance for a lot folks has improved including myself.

Poor Marketing: My ass! The game delivered exactly what they said. Many of you made shitty excuse of not getting past level 5. You missed out on getting your ass kicked in your 1st dungeon at level 20 and not just from a 40man raid.

Quest Hub/Grindfest: The worst argument for just about any MMORPG! It’s about character development/progression. A feature that’s standard in any RPG.  Omg, where is my fucking INSTANT button to max level my character, skill, or crafting. Oh man I got gotta farm mats for potions and food too. The list is endless as many games add various features to keep you occupied. Great example like not being a fan of Jumping puzzles but you will gladly reap the rewards as long as there is a Mesmer around.

Telegraphs: You want to be HARDCORE? You can turn it off. When you do, please stream it so many of us can watch.

Doesn’t Play like TERA: In TERA you can create a 1 button macro that does all the work for you, requires very little thinking. You just need to remember to dodge. Wildstar has DASH, same fucking concept. Just like Neverwinter, Guild Wars 2, and Vinditus.

Linear: It’s a THEMEPARK, yes your hand is held even with that it’s still not enough for many of you! You don’t need to follow one HUB to another, you can easily stray away and explore each map. Like so many you need guidance a direction rather than try to figure it out. And so many are so hell bent about trying to reach max level they miss everything else in the game.

Comparing it to WoW: Why the hell do people still compare games to WoW that was released in November 2004. Wildstar has very little content in almost 1 year compared to over 10yrs of patches, updates, and expansions. You folks expect EVERY new game to have all the bells and whistles.

MMORPGs aren't easy, You're just too PRO!
    Originally posted by danwest58

I am not going to bash the game.  However Like I said 20/40 man raiding is dead.  Its never going to work again.  I loved it back when I was young and I was a Raid leader of a 40 man raiding guild.  It was a pain in the ass and fun in its time.  People like me who done it no longer want to do large raids period.  So to design a game around that was folly when you spend a few hundred million dollars.  It might have worked on a 60 Million dollar budget but not a hundred million.  

Also Action Combat for me does not work.  I already had to have surgery done on my wrist because of twitch combat of FPSs so I no longer play action combat type games. 

Yikes, sorry to hear about having surgery, you are way to young for that! 

Try getting a Logitech G13 gamepad and you can use your thumb on the controller. Not as fast, but if you really love gaming it's a great option.

• reeereeereeereee Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    Originally posted by Amjoco

You mean like this? It seems to have worked for millions. (I'm having fun with images today.)

Wildstar is not simply one of many cartoony MMOs that has somehow unjustly been singled out criticism, it is by far the most cartoony MMO that was not a niche game aimed at children or anime fans.  They outcartooned WoW by a lot, if Wildstar had simply drawn the line at a WoW level of cartoonishness I think it would have been far more successful. 

Look at the 2004 and 2014 WoW human faces as compared to the Wildstar human faces, both are cartoonish but the WoW faces at least kind-of look like a human.

• IkonisIkonis Member UncommonPosts: 245
    I hate the game and the arrogant fan base that think they are "hardcore". Deal with it.
  • BitripBitrip Member UncommonPosts: 279
    Wow, I just used the block user function on here for the first time. That is such an amazing thing, all of StoneRoses posts are so hateful...can't stand them half the time.

Now, which one of you will adorn me today?

Wildstar is not simply one of many cartoony MMOs that has somehow unjustly been singled out criticism, it is by far the most cartoony MMO that was not a niche game aimed at children or anime fans.  They outcartooned WoW by a lot, if Wildstar had simply drawn the line at a WoW level of cartoonishness I think it would have been far more successful. 

Look at the 2004 and 2014 WoW human faces as compared to the Wildstar human faces, both are cartoonish but the WoW faces at least kind-of look like a human.

You made such a valid point there!

• crimzonxskyzcrimzonxskyz Member Posts: 28
    Originally posted by StoneRoses

You made such a valid point there!

I ruv roo :3 Stay vigilant my friend!!! :Dimage

• RabidMouthRabidMouth Member Posts: 196
    I'm not currently subbed to WS. That being said I don't recall having performance problems and I run AMD. Did they change something in an update? I did like WS and with all of the recent media attention I am considering giving the game another shot. However, if the performance is worse on AMD now I may not. 

You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into.

• orionblackorionblack Member UncommonPosts: 493
    Originally posted by Tyggs
    Tried Wildstar. Made it to level 5 and quit. Not once while I was getting to level 5 did I have fun. I play games to have fun. If I am not having fun at login, I am wasting time. If a developer can't find a way to make their game fun at login, they have failed in my eyes. I can't play a game hoping it gets better later on.

I completely agree with you...I can not stand it when people say " But the game opens at up at level (insert level)......"  

If the game is not engaging from the beginning levels, then you can bet it's retention will not last......

And this is what i think is hurting so many mmo's now a days. The fast leveling to the "end game" I think is completely bypassing the immersive worlds that these games could be.

• goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    Not a bad game, one of the most polished I've played.  I think the leveling experience may be a bit to streamlined though, I cant explain it exactly.  But while I was playing it I kept asking, why arent more people playing this game its amazing, then suddenly I wasn't playing it anymore.  Weird.
  • ShodanasShodanas Member RarePosts: 1,933
    Originally posted by crimzonxskyz

Wildstar with all of its little flaws is such a great game.. and the only potential it is lacking is the support of a fan base that would throttle this game into some really great online experiences for people...

I see a quality game thats way ahead of its time as far as progression mmorpg experiences go... this game has so much potential and the only thing holding it back is a loyal fan base of players...

People are so easily deterred by the negative opinions of others they often miss out on great opportunities that are right in their face.

This game blows WoWs D$%# out of the %@^!ing Water people... wtf is WRONG WITH YOU GOSH ( Face palm ) lol .. Ive played wow since vanilla and I just cant understand how people are still sold on that mindless grind for expired glory... - meaning everytime you think you've attained something or achieved something great something even GREATER comes out and yet again you are left doing the SAME repetitive bee worker job.

Rant over

PS - NCSOFT : Dont give up on this game yet...

Typical white knight approach, blame the players not the game or the developer. 

When a game fails this hard like WS did it's because of the game itself NOT the players. This comes from someone who beta-tested WS with a guild for 6 months, raids included. Who bought the expensive collectors edition, raided Genetic Archives and 4 months into release just had enough and quited allong with some thousand others. 

Originally posted by Shodanas

Wildstar with all of its little flaws is such a great game.. and the only potential it is lacking is the support of a fan base that would throttle this game into some really great online experiences for people...

I see a quality game thats way ahead of its time as far as progression mmorpg experiences go... this game has so much potential and the only thing holding it back is a loyal fan base of players...

People are so easily deterred by the negative opinions of others they often miss out on great opportunities that are right in their face.

This game blows WoWs D$%# out of the %@^!ing Water people... wtf is WRONG WITH YOU GOSH ( Face palm ) lol .. Ive played wow since vanilla and I just cant understand how people are still sold on that mindless grind for expired glory... - meaning everytime you think you've attained something or achieved something great something even GREATER comes out and yet again you are left doing the SAME repetitive bee worker job.

Rant over

When a game fails this hard like WS did it's because of the game itself NOT the players. This comes from someone who beta-tested WS with a guild for 6 months, raids included. Who bought the expensive collectors edition, raided Genetic Archives and 4 months into release just had enough and quited allong with some thousand others. 

Personally I don't think thats what he means. Carbine has made some great changes and without people coming back to check it out they won't ever know. The game failed hard because the end game was to rigorous and raiding was almost impossible to get into. Many positive things have been adjusted in the title and he is just asking for other players to check it out. :)

• crimzonxskyzcrimzonxskyz Member Posts: 28

Rant over

Personally I don't think thats what he means. Carbine has made some great changes and without people coming back to check it out they won't ever know. The game failed hard because the end game was to rigorous and raiding was almost impossible to get into. Many positive things have been adjusted in the title and he is just asking for other players to check it out. :)

Exactly that my friend...

Some people judge a book by its cover ( hence this games release )...

Bet you nerds didnt think you'd be reading harry potter either... DID YA lolllll :D

Anyway... on top of all that said - this game is a diamond in the rough...

Im just hoping people find the gem in the muck of the mmorpg world they are looking for... IMO Wildstar DESERVES more attention...

Rant over

So you made the decision to buy the game, not the developers!

Sounds like it's in fact the player's fault since you couldn't control yourself from purchasing the game. Rather than taking accountability, you will instead blame the developers for opening your wallet.

• RhinotonesRhinotones Member UncommonPosts: 250

If Wildstar fails to maintain/hold its playerbase to your liking, why is it the fault of gamers? Just because you like it.....

I like triathlons, therefore what's wrong with other runners, cyclists or swimmers that don't?

• ketzerei84ketzerei84 Member UncommonPosts: 81
    Originally posted by Wizardry

I want to play a rpg when and where i want,i do NOT want to follow the same path as every other player,i want choice.

I also couldn't care less about end game,if end game is all people talk about,the game is not for me and a shallow game.

I want longevity,i want depth not a race to end game.

So, you want... The Secret World.

Playing: Secret World: Legends

Waiting for: Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen

• rwyanrwyan Member UncommonPosts: 468

WildStar is/was simply a victim of the internet.  Don't get me wrong, Carbine had some missteps, but I feel the game has gotten more hate than it has earned.

Sure, it had its haters before its launch, but if you read reviews/previews from blogs, media, forums, etc... from in and around launch, the game largely had a very positive following.  Yeah, the game had its fair share of marketing hype.  Yeah, there was a tinge of arrogance coming from the dev team.  However, even then, the game was heading into launch on a smooth bit of positive word-of-mouth.  I remember, it was weird, ESO was the game to hate and WildStar was the game to love... 

I remember most of the hype coming from the community.  I knew from the beginning that WildStar was simply another take on the WoW formula with some modern twists here and there.  It was flashier.  Spacier.  Actiony'er.  Cuter.  I avoided it.  However, it was the MMO community at large that almost convinced me I was misreading all the Carbine hype and that there was something truly revolutionary there.  I remember jumping into beta.  Loved the artwork.  Enjoyed the combat system. Fun.  But nothing I could see myself sticking with for more than a month or two.  As much as 'everyone' hated ESO, I loved it.  Still do. 

Fast forward to 3-4 months after its launch and the story had completely changed.  The media hated it (it was fun to watch reviewers do complete 180s on their opinions on the game).  The community at large hated it.  And then, ESOs hate train started to show brinks of positivity here and there.  Once again, odd and weird.  Oh how things changed.  It was like the internet went bust and all of a sudden.... EVERYONE hated WildStar. 

• CoatedCoated Member UncommonPosts: 507
    Originally posted by Chrisbox
    This post and wildstar have something in common.

Despite how short this post is, it has the most information in it.

• AIMonsterAIMonster Member UncommonPosts: 2,059

Wildstar has a very poor leveling experience.  Not only is it a typical quest HUB themepark we've been seeing time and time again since WoW released, but it throws WAY too many quests at you (I felt like the game was giving me 2 or 3 new quests every time I completed one), was painfully slow (I hear that's changed at least), was not group friendly, provided little challenge outside of a few group quests which weren't rewarding in the slightest, and later quests became on the level of Korean grinders where you have to kill monsters almost in the 100s.  Unlike WoW, which has improved quests over the years by mixing it up with fun activities that aren't just slaughter everything on foot type quests, fedex missions, or collect X quests, Wildstar has nothing but these quests.  I'm not sure if this changed any as the last time I played it was at release.

Top it off with a terrible PvP experience, pacing/progression issues (huge jumps in difficulty going from quest content to normal dungeons to expert dungeons), loads of bugs (at release), a fairly ridiculous gear grind (I'm looking at you runes) and an attunement system for raiding - likely the only truely fun aspect Wildstar excels at - that put people off at release (yes, I know it's been changed and now has reasonable requirements)

It might do well when it goes free to play if they improved the leveling experience.

The only thing it's better at than WoW is the combat, and that's a bit debatable.  I think games like Guild Wars 2 and Tera, and upcoming games such as Blade and Soul and Black Desert do this better.

• svandysvandy Member UncommonPosts: 277
    Originally posted by AIMonster

The only thing it's better at than WoW is the combat, and that's a bit debatable.  I think games like Guild Wars 2 and Tera, and upcoming games such as Blade and Soul and Black Desert do this better.

That is purely a matter of opinion. I like the lore, races, setting, classes, and housing more than WoW jus tto start. Same with the combat, I prefer it over Tera. Different people like different things. I do believe Wildstar will find its footing if/when they go F2P, but it will never be as big as WoW or even GW2. 

I think people need to understand that game mechanics and art styles can be *good* even if *you* don't like them. This is a very clear distinction that the MMO community in general seems to ignore, which leads to a lot of toxicity.

Please visit my youtube channel for some H1Z1/DayZ casual roleplay videos!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrQoK5VZlwBBzpsksmXtjMQ