Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

wtf is going on with mmorpg gamers...

Comments

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    Originally posted by Kaladin
    Originally posted by carotid
    Because Wildstar  +  WoW = Same  s h i t  different day.

In what way is Wilstar like WoW?

I will give you my complete list to get you started:

1. Cartoonish Art Style
    2. MMORPG

Linear quest hub themepark.

I would consider trying Wildstar if the performance was anywhere close to acceptable.  For a game with literally no textures it's amazing that they couldn't get it to run better.

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991
    IMHO, Wildstar is one of the worst MMORPGs I've played in years. It is a clunky, cluttered mess. The art style is fugly. The writing and prose are horrid, and the linear quest hub grinding is something I just won't do anymore. 

Joined - July 2004

• Homura235Homura235 Member UncommonPosts: 167
    I agree with OP, it is one of the best MMOs out right now and lost it's player base due to the "hardcore raid" mentality that it thought  people wanted (because the vocal minority is SO loud). I tried to stay subbed but with the huge drop in population it turned in to a ghost town, and I can't play an MMO without the MM. At least the game will finally go B2P/F2P in August (if the rumors are true, and I think they are) and that will be Wildstar's last hope. I have heard so many people say, "I will play/return if it drops the sub," that I think it will do fine, although it looks like Blade & Soul's (paid?) closed beta will start around the same time and unfortunately I will be playing that instead, so.....it may be that WS missed it's window...I hope not, because I would definitely like to see this game succeed and I will definitely return to play at some point if it does. It is perfect for the F2P model anyway with all of the housing, costuming and now vanity pets.
  • DerrosDerros Member UncommonPosts: 1,216

For me, ESO runs at 60 fps on pretty decent settings, even on my old rig, Wildstar, I was lucky to get above 20 at the lowest.  In fact changing settings didnt seem to do anything.

Combat was exhausting after a length of time.  

The telegraphs took away from enjoying the visuals of the game, I was looking at the telegraphs (The ground) all the time and not the rest of the game.

The whole medal system left a bad taste in my mouth (yes I know thats been improved on)

That challenge begins stuff, got really old by the second zone.

I think im just past wanting to grind in a themepark game, in a game with shorter itteration time between gameplay events like warframe, sure, grind all day, Id rather spend an hour and run 6 missions in warframe than 1 dungeon in Wildstar

Its not a bad game at its core, but no longer for me.  If I were to sub to a game again, it would probably be FF14, I enjoy the visuals, the world, the class system, and the combat more than any current "traditional" MMO.  

• DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    Originally posted by ste2000
    Originally posted by Bladestrom
    It does blow wow out of the water, but wow players have no interest in a replacement wow.

Issues with the game :amd performance is shocking, the puerile humour puts some off, the staring at patterns on the floor puts some people off, the end game race for gear or be underpowered v other puts people off.

Personally if they sorted the performance and changed end game so it wasn't a case of gear up or get out then I would give it a go. Like many I have up in the level 30's when eso came along.

For me that's the exact opposite.

If they get rid of the tedious ultracasual leveling, I would give it a go.

I just could not get myself to get through that boring leveling, so didn't even get to play the end game (which is what I actually want to play)

But that's the problem with Wildstar, it tries to please both the casual and the hardcore crowd at the same time, in fact it alienates both.

In my opinion Wildstar is the worst designed MMO ever, yes technically is flawless, but the gamedesign is a total mess.

This is pretty much spot on as far as I'm concerned.

I wanted a game that was hardcore and group based all the way up, not one that has the same casual solo play and quest progression, then suddenly turns hard at the end.  I saw nothing in the videos or beta leading up to wildstar that made me want to play it.  They simply failed on both fronts by trying to make another "me too" game with supposedly hard content later on.  Sorry, but so many of us don't want to wade through crap hoping to find a game we like later on.

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    "Wtf is wrong with people? I declared this to be the best game on the market and people aren't playing it!"
    Harbinger of Fools
  • LacedOpiumLacedOpium Member EpicPosts: 2,327

Unfortunately for you, it is not for you to determine whether a game is good for mmorpg gamers.  You obviously like wildstar.  Obviously, the majority of mmorpg gamers do not.  Wildstar's population, or lack thereof, speaks for itself.  We don't need a random player telling us we are F'd up because we don't like a game.  I, like many others, have played it.  We are well aware of what it offers,and simply don't like it.  BTW, proclaiming a game is good by comparing it to WoW is fail on so many levels.  There are many games out there better than WoW.  That isn't saying much and it certainly isn't worth discussing.  WoW retains its player base because it has a loyal fan base, and many of its player's are not necessarily gamers.  They were introduced to WoW by friends, it is all they know, and therefore it is all they play. WoW is an anomaly.  It is unlikely that their success will ever be duplicated in this industry.

• johnathonmjohnathonm Member UncommonPosts: 19

The ghost population on the servers just lost me. I bought the game at launch, was bored. I gave it another shot not to long ago, was bored but this time it was a desolate wasteland. So, I threw money out the window both times.

I won't even consider that game unless it goes F2P. A dead game cannot justify a subscription based model. I want to play an MMO. If I wanted a single player MMO, I'd play Secret World.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by Dakeru
    "Wtf is wrong with people? I declared this to be the best game on the market and people aren't playing it!"

I'm playing it just because you declared it so. 

Honestly, this game will come back with and surprise a lot of people. It is going to be another SWTOR come back! 

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• ButeoRegalisButeoRegalis Member UncommonPosts: 594
    Originally posted by johnathonm

The ghost population on the servers just lost me. I bought the game at launch, was bored. I gave it another shot not to long ago, was bored but this time it was a desolate wasteland. So, I threw money out the window both times.

You must have been trying to play on the PvP sever, which unfortunately is indeed all but empty, and, unless you hit the forums beforehand, nothing tells you so and that you should roll on the PvE servers.

The PvE servers, while not bursting at the seams, have a good population to play the game.

Originally posted by LacedOpium

WoW retains its player base because it has a loyal fan base, and many of its player's are not necessarily gamers. 

The best description for WoW I read (on this forum even, I think?) was that WoW is facebook for your gaming buddies. You go there to meet your old raid buddies and guildies, because you know, even if they aren't playing WoW anymore they still have that account rolling.

• GardavsshadeGardavsshade Member UncommonPosts: 907
    Originally posted by crimzonxskyz

Wildstar with all of its little flaws is such a great game.. and the only potential it is lacking is the support of a fan base that would throttle this game into some really great online experiences for people...

I see a quality game thats way ahead of its time as far as progression mmorpg experiences go... this game has so much potential and the only thing holding it back is a loyal fan base of players...

People are so easily deterred by the negative opinions of others they often miss out on great opportunities that are right in their face.

This game blows WoWs D$%# out of the %@^!ing Water people... wtf is WRONG WITH YOU GOSH ( Face palm ) lol .. Ive played wow since vanilla and I just cant understand how people are still sold on that mindless grind for expired glory... - meaning everytime you think you've attained something or achieved something great something even GREATER comes out and yet again you are left doing the SAME repetitive bee worker job.

Rant over

PS - NCSOFT : Dont give up on this game yet...

MMORPG Gamers.... the older ones that would love WildStar... may not be able to play Wildstar like I can not. The game and what it takes to properly play it causes my old hands, wrists, and arms serious chronic pain just to regularly play the game on a reasonable basis. I'm not hating on WildStar... I love the game, the game did not love me in a very real sense. I bought and subscribed for 1st month of release and couldn't even get past week 2.

Perhaps the 1st question I would be ask is this: Is it now too late for a MMO Publisher to create an action MMO for the original Players of MMOs? In my case the answer is Yes.

Now I ask a second question.... how many Players tried and quit WildStar due to similar reasons as my own yet due to pride or reputation did not admit exactly why they quit?

Some said before WildStar launched that the ship had sailed on the old style MMOs, maybe it has, not due to desire but for very practical reasons young MMO Gamers seldom have to worry about.

• ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729
    This post and wildstar have something in common.

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• Neobloodline3dNeobloodline3d Member CommonPosts: 54

Wildstar with all of its little flaws is such a great game.. and the only potential it is lacking is the support of a fan base that would throttle this game into some really great online experiences for people...

I see a quality game thats way ahead of its time as far as progression mmorpg experiences go... this game has so much potential and the only thing holding it back is a loyal fan base of players...

People are so easily deterred by the negative opinions of others they often miss out on great opportunities that are right in their face.

This game blows WoWs D$%# out of the %@^!ing Water people... wtf is WRONG WITH YOU GOSH ( Face palm ) lol .. Ive played wow since vanilla and I just cant understand how people are still sold on that mindless grind for expired glory... - meaning everytime you think you've attained something or achieved something great something even GREATER comes out and yet again you are left doing the SAME repetitive bee worker job.

Rant over

It's annoying after 3 days.  The colors, the repetition the bots everywhere.  The graphics glitches, the poor performance, the terrible angry youth playerbase.  No.  Waste of money. 

• BitripBitrip Member UncommonPosts: 279
    Originally posted by Gardavsshade

Rant over

MMORPG Gamers.... the older ones that would love WildStar... may not be able to play Wildstar like I can not. The game and what it takes to properly play it causes my old hands, wrists, and arms serious chronic pain just to regularly play the game on a reasonable basis. I'm not hating on WildStar... I love the game, the game did not love me in a very real sense. I bought and subscribed for 1st month of release and couldn't even get past week 2.

Perhaps the 1st question I would be ask is this: Is it now too late for a MMO Publisher to create an action MMO for the original Players of MMOs? In my case the answer is Yes.

Now I ask a second question.... how many Players tried and quit WildStar due to similar reasons as my own yet due to pride or reputation did not admit exactly why they quit?

Some said before WildStar launched that the ship had sailed on the old style MMOs, maybe it has, not due to desire but for very practical reasons young MMO Gamers seldom have to worry about.

WildStar initially hurt my hands and fingers too. I either got used to it or changed the way I positioned my hands on the keyboard (not sure which) because after a while the pain went away.

Now, which one of you will adorn me today?

• exile01exile01 Member RarePosts: 1,089

forcing WoW players to leave WoW is like trying to teach a dog how to speak- impossible.

Their first love will always remain in their hearts- to much tim was spend in that world to give it up- Thats the real problem here.

THe new MMOs shouldnt try to take WoWs playerbase away- they need this new generation of players- who didnt start with WoW.

• collektcollekt Member UncommonPosts: 328
    Personally, I hated the combat system with all the staring at patterns on the ground. It's stupid and extremely boring to me, and if I hate the combat then I can obviously never play the game regardless of everything else about it.
  • GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,470
    Originally posted by Vorthanion
    Originally posted by hallucigenocide
    the game runs like crap on many rigs, the combat is not what many would consider to be fun & they set out to attract a very small playerbase(hardcore) so you'll never see a large playerbase in there. it's as simple as that. and then there's tons of other stuff that could be mentioned but that would be overkill.

The AMD problem is still a thing, IF the steps to fix it are not taken.  In every case, the %AppData% folder needs to be cleared.  After that, it is smooth sailing.  Yes, it is silly to HAVE to do that, but it isn't hard, and if the game is fun for you otherwise, you would take the 2 minutes to do this.

It's true, Action Combat is decidedly NOT what mmorpg fans want in massive numbers.  But there is a large enough niche that it is worthwhile for people who like to have that little bit of extra skill to their combat.

They did set out to attract the hardcore playerbase with their Raidz Dev Speak video, in all other areas, the game is not hardcore.  That is just what the mmorpg community picked up on and ran with as the rest of the game also being for the hardcore.  I'm not sure how many more times people with actual experience with the game need to say this.

Are you forgetting all of the obnoxious comments from the developers pre-release that this was not a game for casuals?  They were derisive about it and paid the price.  Months after release they scrambled to offer more casual content, but the damage was done.

I agree.  They wanted Wildstar to be a game where the super hardcore leet catass poop sockers would be the primary focus and all the filthy casuals would be mocked and not welcome. 

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by Neobloodline3d

Rant over

It's annoying after 3 days.  The colors, the repetition the bots everywhere.  The graphics glitches, the poor performance, the terrible angry youth playerbase.  No.  Waste of money. 

Nice try but the player base is just like in every other mmo out there. The cartoony graphics mean nothing to the average age of mmo players, WoW has proven this. 

"It is easy to dismiss video games as pointless activities that only teenagers indulge in. The truth is that the average age of MMORPG players is around 26. In fact, only 25% of MMORPG players are teenagers. About 50% of MMORPG players work full-time. About 36% of players are married, and 22% have children. So the MMORPG demographic is fairly diverse, including high-school students, college students, early professionals, middle-aged home-makers, as well as retirees. In other words, MMORPGs do not only appeal to a youth subculture."

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• KaladinKaladin Member Posts: 468
    Originally posted by Neobloodline3d

Rant over

Bots? Graphics glitches? Angry youth playerbase?

Are you sure you played Wildstar Online, the one created by Carbine Studios?  You can find plenty to criticize the game about, but these are not Wildstar characteristics.

I can fly higher than an aeroplane.
    And I have the voice of a thousand hurricanes.
    Hurt - Wars

• KaladinKaladin Member Posts: 468
    Originally posted by Vorthanion
    Originally posted by hallucigenocide
    the game runs like crap on many rigs, the combat is not what many would consider to be fun & they set out to attract a very small playerbase(hardcore) so you'll never see a large playerbase in there. it's as simple as that. and then there's tons of other stuff that could be mentioned but that would be overkill.

The AMD problem is still a thing, IF the steps to fix it are not taken.  In every case, the %AppData% folder needs to be cleared.  After that, it is smooth sailing.  Yes, it is silly to HAVE to do that, but it isn't hard, and if the game is fun for you otherwise, you would take the 2 minutes to do this.

It's true, Action Combat is decidedly NOT what mmorpg fans want in massive numbers.  But there is a large enough niche that it is worthwhile for people who like to have that little bit of extra skill to their combat.

They did set out to attract the hardcore playerbase with their Raidz Dev Speak video, in all other areas, the game is not hardcore.  That is just what the mmorpg community picked up on and ran with as the rest of the game also being for the hardcore.  I'm not sure how many more times people with actual experience with the game need to say this.

Are you forgetting all of the obnoxious comments from the developers pre-release that this was not a game for casuals?  They were derisive about it and paid the price.  Months after release they scrambled to offer more casual content, but the damage was done.

Yes, it was certainly their fault for giving themselves that perception.  If it made people not want to try it for themselves, I guess I can't blame them.  The reality of the actual game itself, is that only the Raids are hardcore.

I can fly higher than an aeroplane.
    And I have the voice of a thousand hurricanes.
    Hurt - Wars

• GardavsshadeGardavsshade Member UncommonPosts: 907
    Originally posted by Bitrip
    Originally posted by Gardavsshade

Rant over

WildStar initially hurt my hands and fingers too. I either got used to it or changed the way I positioned my hands on the keyboard (not sure which) because after a while the pain went away.

I actually began playing in beta so I had been playing for more than 2 weeks, just on weekends is all. It gave me a chance to try a couple different mice and I changed my computer chair and my computer desk as well, in an attempt to correct the problem. In my case I did not resolve the problem.

I like WidStar, except for how I had issues with playing it. It was for me a fun and enjoyable game and I was in a fantastic Guild. I wish I had found a solution.

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    Originally posted by Amjoco

Honestly, this game will come back with and surprise a lot of people. It is going to be another SWTOR come back! 

I don't doubt the comeback of WS one bit. They already removed a lot of the pointless grind.

I'm just sick of all the posts recently of minorities raising their voices and declaring they know better than everyone else what a fun game is.

Harbinger of Fools
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Originally posted by Amjoco

I don't doubt the comeback of WS one bit. They already removed a lot of the pointless grind.

I'm just sick of all the posts recently of minorities raising their voices and declaring they know better than everyone else what a fun game is.

It'll be interesting to see if it lives up to that claim. Although that already sounds promising.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• crimzonxskyzcrimzonxskyz Member Posts: 28

Sadly... I'm playing on the PvP server alone in all my glorious acts to go unnoticed by the likes of you all squandering to find your lovely perfect mmorpg ...

All in all... I find it funny that ncsoft is pushing BnS after so many years of being left in the dark about the project... I think they would be better off polishing up Wildstar and trying to optimize certain settings for those of you who's rigs are not fully capable of playing with the settings you currently have been trying to run the game at...

I'm in full support of WS...

dying player base or not.. I'll be in wildstar on the pvp server Warface Howlskar - COME GANK ME I DARE YA ... no really though do it lollllllllllll .. im ... on deradune :o lol

ciao mates

_______________________________________________________________________________

NUT SHOT  to the Haters!

• svandysvandy Member UncommonPosts: 277

I recently resubbed to Wildstar and I'm glad i did. I left for the same reasons many did, chief among them was the small playerbase. But I'm glad I returned. They will likely go free to play, when they do the population will get a pretty good injection and I imagine the game will become profitable. The game, unfortunately, just came out at the wrong time.

I am still totally baffled by the rage about the graphics. So many games have cartoonish looking graphics and no one bats an eye. It's almost like people wanted a reason to take Wildstar down a notch. Either way, I'll play again for as long as its fun for me and move on when its not, not gonna stress over the feelings of the rabid and fickle MMO playerbase.

Please visit my youtube channel for some H1Z1/DayZ casual roleplay videos!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrQoK5VZlwBBzpsksmXtjMQ