Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Witcher 3, tell us about it :)

delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081

Ok The Witcher 3 went live here in the US on 18 May.

The game was a little pain in the butt to download from GoG gaming, not much information on how to get it running, But got it working the next day.  I have an SSD hard drive and because of space I have this hard drive split, smaller for operating system and larger for active games.  It seems that the game forces you to install in program files ( lucky I had the space ).  Now this my only be if you purchased from GoG Gaming, I'm not sure, so be careful.  Also I think you can move the game, I'm afraid to try because I want to play so much.

Anyway, I've only had about two hours at the most of game play :

You have a choice on difficulty at the beginning and it seems that this can be changed during your adventure.

- The tutorial is very fluid and well made, but I hate when games stop you dead in your tracks to explain things.

- I have a good computer that I built just for this game, I haven't messed with any of the sliders yet.  But the graphics so far seem the best ever.  The floral is high where you could find yourself in a field and not be able to see beyond it, the wind picks up and the trees sway....Just an all around beautiful game.

- Like all new games, I'm struggling with the controls on a keyboard and mouse, but I'm sure I'll get used to it.

- The menu and AI seem deep, and well set up.

- So far I've done very little fighting, just running around a small village....But I'm very excited to play after work today :)

More to come as I play.

Comments

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081

Still don't have many hours logged in the game yet, but the controls are getting better with each game play.  It also helps that I switched from keyboard/mouse to xbox 360 controller on the PC. For the first few hours I was getting to the point of frustration, thinking the controls will kill the experience for good....But fighting thru that, it becomes playable.

Spoiler :

I would recommend some Youtube Tips and trick videos early on, because there is so many little things that are VERY IMPORTANT that you can miss......Unless your the figure out everything by yourself type. I like some trial and error stuff figured out for me :)....and with watching some, some you may never realize.

This game is Deep !!!!!....more so than anything I ever played.

Other than the shotty controls I would recommend Witcher 3

• Stuka1000Stuka1000 Member UncommonPosts: 955

Good game but PC controls are terrible.  CDPR always claimed that they were making the game with the PC in mind but this is obviously not the case.  Even the characters movement is restricted to the eight thumbstick directions, which is plain to see when following a narrow path with bends that stray from those boundaries, or when maneuvering to loot an item or corpse.  Another gripe which many have pointed out is with the graphics that have been degraded so that the consoles can handle them.  Would it have been really so difficult to have the game auto-detect if it was being played on a console and then adjust the graphics for the platform?  That way the PC's superior capabilities could have been utilised.

All that said however as I mentioned at the start it is a good game and I'm sure that I will enjoy playing through it. 

• exile01exile01 Member RarePosts: 1,089
    Strange, these kind of games never attracted me, probably never will. Its like GTA- alot love them- but i could never spend 5min into such kind games. Maybe the afterburn for growing up with jrpgs.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by delete5230

Ok The Witcher 3 went live here in the US on 18 May.

The game was a little pain in the butt to download from GoG gaming, not much information on how to get it running, But got it working the next day.  I have an SSD hard drive and because of space I have this hard drive split, smaller for operating system and larger for active games.  It seems that the game forces you to install in program files ( lucky I had the space ).  Now this my only be if you purchased from GoG Gaming, I'm not sure, so be careful.  Also I think you can move the game, I'm afraid to try because I want to play so much.

Yeah. GOG without Galaxy makes DLing and installing pretty clunky. Galaxy makes it much easier to manage but it sets itself up to install games to C without asking you.

Before DLing and installing any game, you need to click on the gear icon and tell it where you want your games. I put mine on my E drive which is my second SSD.

They'll get the hang of it but for now it's pretty awkward.

Enjoy the game... I am.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    First time ever using GOG was when I got The Witcher 3 yesterday and had no problems at all. I like it much better then STEAM actually.
    Originally posted by Mikeha
    First time ever using GOG was when I got The Witcher 3 yesterday and had no problems at all. I like it much better then STEAM actually.

Did you use Galaxy? Without it you need to DL it in several 4 GB chunks. Galaxy reminds me a lot of Origin actually.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130

I got it on PS4. Had some download issues myself. I couldn't get damn preload going, thought it was PSN traffic. NOPE! Checked release day and all I had to do is download Singstar first, I guess. Yup.....There must be a singstar dependency.....or Sony just really wants to hear my angelic voice. Thanks PS Forums though!!! 

Anyway, once I started the Singstar download it allowed me to download it. Like you, only a couple hours in, but it seems pretty solid. Definitely deserving of high marks. So happy with the control scheme. I hated the DA:I controls. I was hoping for something a little more along the lines of KoA, which I think we got. Everything is pretty fluid and prettier than what I'd get off my aging PCs. It's too early to say, but it definitely seems immersive. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• AmsaiAmsai Member UncommonPosts: 299
    Originally posted by Stuka1000

Good game but PC controls are terrible.  CDPR always claimed that they were making the game with the PC in mind but this is obviously not the case.  Even the characters movement is restricted to the eight thumbstick directions, which is plain to see when following a narrow path with bends that stray from those boundaries, or when maneuvering to loot an item or corpse.  Another gripe which many have pointed out is with the graphics that have been degraded so that the consoles can handle them.  Would it have been really so difficult to have the game auto-detect if it was being played on a console and then adjust the graphics for the platform?  That way the PC's superior capabilities could have been utilised.

All that said however as I mentioned at the start it is a good game and I'm sure that I will enjoy playing through it. 

Then I don't know who the controls were designed for because it wasn't  designed with PS4 in mind. Its a great game in many aspects and I do and will enjoy it. But the inability to change the control scheme so that I can have ALL my attack buttons on the shoulder buttons is severely annoying. I would have traded the strong and weak attacks to shoulder buttons so I can maintain full movement control in combat. Taking your thumb off the right stick (camera) to press an attack button is a no no, but it is what it is.

Also the lock-on seems somewhat intermittent, and the "rolling" attacks he does are a bit hard to control/predict where attacks land.

Anyway I think they could have done a bit better particularly on allowing more control schemes or reconfiguration. Other than that pretty solid.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by Iselin

Did you use Galaxy? Without it you need to DL it in several 4 GB chunks. Galaxy reminds me a lot of Origin actually.

No you don't...

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• MavolenceMavolence Member UncommonPosts: 635

Another gripe which many have pointed out is with the graphics that have been degraded so that the consoles can handle them.  Would it have been really so difficult to have the game auto-detect if it was being played on a console and then adjust the graphics for the platform?  That way the PC's superior capabilities could have been utilised.

Why!? Why do they do this? It kills me inside. Is there a fix out for this to make the graphics better on PC?

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    Originally posted by Mavolence

Another gripe which many have pointed out is with the graphics that have been degraded so that the consoles can handle them.  Would it have been really so difficult to have the game auto-detect if it was being played on a console and then adjust the graphics for the platform?  That way the PC's superior capabilities could have been utilised.

Why!? Why do they do this? It kills me inside. Is there a fix out for this to make the graphics better on PC?

Here you go:

http://cdn.overclock.net/f/fe/fe851a3c_lie1.png

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591

2K and 4K

I play W3 in 2K and the graphics are stunning. As time goes by, you will see less and less differences between new generation consoles and PC's when it comes to 1080P.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

Originally posted by Sovrath

Here you go:

Man, thats just disgusting. I would be willing to pay more for a PC version of a game that released at the same time and had graphics to match the PC's strength. Makes me sad

• mayankingmayanking Member UncommonPosts: 162
    got it on xbox one about 10 hours in no glitches no bugs no problems game is amazing. i threw a bomb at about 13 pirates and bodies literly flying everywhere the graphics are amazing to me.. They will probably find a way to mod the pc to make it look much better but i heard it still looks great. Game of the year potential here.
  • MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196

Yea, I used GOG Galaxy. It is a lot like Origin.

• PyndaPynda Member UncommonPosts: 856

I've always had the strong impression that one of the conditions for games to be "licensed" for release on consoles is that the PC versions must not be allowed to offer any type of superior gameplay, content, or features (although 3rd party modding of course does happen with PC versions). But I really can't back any of this up.

Have you played the game on PC? It looks absolutely beautiful. And that's on low. I haven't put it on my living Room PC yet (which is better). The missus takes it over in the evenings, so I put it on my workhorse PC. Less graphical power means nothing with this game, honestly. In the end that downgrade really didn't hurt the game what so ever.

Originally posted by Distopia

Have you played the game on PC? It looks absolutely beautiful. And that's on LOW Haven't put it on my living Room PC yet (which is better), the missus takes it over in the evenings, so I put it on my workhorse PC, less graphical power means nothing with this game, honestly. In the end that downgrade really didn't hurt the game what so ever.

I think it does look good on PC. Yet, when it could be better it pisses me off. Agree to disagree i guess. Still really pissed off about Watch Dogs. I'll be even more pissed if Division does the same thing as watch dogs.

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130

Here you go:

Man, thats just disgusting. I would be willing to pay more for a PC version of a game that released at the same time and had graphics to match the PC's strength. Makes me sad

The question is does it matter? I would bet that 99 our of 100 people would not be able to watch an HD gameplay clip and be able to tell what format it was on. Fact of the matter is that there is a whole lot of "disgust" for things that simply don't "matter" to the vast majority of PC gamers. 

To run the game on Ultra settings (1080p) you're looking at needing at LEAST a GTX 980 which will set you back $500-600. Even with that, the frame rate could be questionable until you start tuning it down. If you want 4k Ultra? Better pony up and drop $1200-1500 on a Titan X because anything short of that, I don't think, will cut it. 

Unfortunately, W3 is just as horribly optimized as W2. However, for anyone who wants to play W2 at ultra, you might be able to use your brand new computer to play it on Ultra :) 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

Have you played the game on PC? It looks absolutely beautiful. And that's on LOW Haven't put it on my living Room PC yet (which is better), the missus takes it over in the evenings, so I put it on my workhorse PC, less graphical power means nothing with this game, honestly. In the end that downgrade really didn't hurt the game what so ever.

I think it does look good on PC. Yet, when it could be better it pisses me off. Agree to disagree i guess. Still really pissed off about Watch Dogs. I'll be even more pissed if Division does the same thing as watch dogs.

Don't get me wrong, I know how you feel in regard to this with most games, Skyrim is a good example, which the HD texture pack only went so far in making up for it. I'm being honest when I say I don't even notice in regard to TW3 it's a very pretty game.

Side note: Gotta edit LOW wasn't meant to be in caps.. so my bad on that..I wasn't screaming at peeps. :)

Originally posted by CrazKanuk

Here you go:

The question is does it matter? I would bet that 99 our of 100 people would not be able to watch an HD gameplay clip and be able to tell what format it was on. Fact of the matter is that there is a whole lot of "disgust" for things that simply don't "matter" to the vast majority of PC gamers. 

To run the game on Ultra settings (1080p) you're looking at needing at LEAST a GTX 980 which will set you back $500-600. Even with that, the frame rate could be questionable until you start tuning it down. If you want 4k Ultra? Better pony up and drop $1200-1500 on a Titan X because anything short of that, I don't think, will cut it. 

Unfortunately, W3 is just as horribly optimized as W2. However, for anyone who wants to play W2 at ultra, you might be able to use your brand new computer to play it on Ultra :) 

I think that's up for the player to decide. Having the option taken away does matter to me. If you look back at the watch dogs release too there was more than 1 out of 100 gamers that was pissed about it. I dont agree that 99 out of 100 dont notice or care.

Don't get me wrong, I know how you feel in regard to this with most games, Skyrim is a good example, which the HD texture pack only went so far in making up for it. I'm being honest when I say I don't even notice in regard to TW3 it's a very pretty game.

Side note: Gotta edit LOW wasn't meant to be in caps.. so my bad on that..I wasn't screaming at peeps. :)

I also don't want to come off as ungrateful and whiny either because the fact of the matter is I am really enjoying the game itself and I am thankful we got a good fantasy title out.

• KorhindiKorhindi Member CommonPosts: 395

I am enjoying Witcher 3 (PC Version-- using Keyboard and Mouse), but I really, really hate the movement in this game. 

My old '77 Ford Granada handled better than Geralt does!  Roach has it worse off, for aircraft carriers have a tighter turn radius than poor roach does.  The fact is, turning is a real chore.

You get three walking speeds: Unbearably slow, slow, and pretty decent.  Choose anything but "Unbearably slow" and when you try to stop, Geralt will slide like a major leaguer trying to slide into home for the game winning run.  I slid off a cliff by taking only ONE step trying to pick a flower (Took a 3' step and slid 15').

As if not being able to steer and stop is bad enough, Geralt seems to catch on everything.  This can be problematic since much of the game involves tight spaces, stuff stashed in areas with low ceilings and so on.

Warning: Geralt can only climb up, not down.  His only method of climbing down (unless at a ladder) is via gravity.  Gravity in this world is harsh-- the first 10' cause no damage; 11' and more = Death.

It also should be noted that in combat Geralt has only one reverse speed-- so slow that he stands there and gets pounded.  The best option is to either attack furiously, parry or roll and pray he will ACTUALLY run when told to (often he won't if he is still within the game's definition of combat range).

I get very good frame rates -- 60+.  The graphics are good, but not great.  I like the flavor of the world and the quests are pretty well thought out.  There is lots to do.  As a RPG, it is very good-- if you can navigate through this gorgeous world without cussing up a storm in frustration.

No you don't...

When I went to preload it from the GOG website, before I had installed Galaxy, that was the only option I saw: multiple pieces to DL.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• BitripBitrip Member UncommonPosts: 279

I downloaded using GOG's new client and had no issues at all. The game has crashed on me once, but it looks great and has the exact combat system I was hoping to see in Dragon Age: Inquisition.

Edit: Wanted to add that you can run the game on Ultra with a GTX 970, you just need to turn off the Nvidia hair effect option. It sucks FPS like a vacuum.

Now, which one of you will adorn me today?