Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Restart the server

whilanwhilan Member UncommonPosts: 3,472

I know that everyone has the most awesome idea, and I don't by any means think this is one of those save the game idea (nor do I have the knowledge to say it's in trouble), but I'm curious what people would think of maybe a server restart or retire the old server (declare the winners or something) and start up a new one.

This would allow everyone to start on an even footing again and may allow those that feel they started too late to try again and get a real chance at the game.

What are you guys thoughts on this, does this sound like something that might be a good idea?

Help me Bioware, you're my only hope.

Is ToR going to be good? Dude it's Bioware making a freaking star wars game, all signs point to awesome. -G4tv MMo report.

Comments

• BossalinieBossalinie Member UncommonPosts: 724
    You want to destroy a 10 year paying veteran's work for those who started a month ago?
  • Tylerbrown13Tylerbrown13 Member UncommonPosts: 48

I think you might like Crowfall, it has this kind of idea built into the core of the game.

I agree that it would be kind of ridiculous to destroy years of work for the benefit of newcomers, unless the game is built like that from the start and everyone knows what they're getting into. This isn't the kind of thing you just throw in there after years of work, like "Oh, by the way, we're getting rid of everything".

Tbrown, Love me or die!

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    I'm thinking it would be like ArcheAge.  A massive land rush leaving a lot of people pissed because the larger corps reformed faster and took all the best spots. 

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699
    Originally posted by Octagon7711
    I'm thinking it would be like ArcheAge.  A massive land rush leaving a lot of people pissed because the larger corps reformed faster and took all the best spots. 

That would be pretty much what would happen.  Does anyone think that some high sec mining corp is suddenly going to control some part of sov null sec if everything was reset tomorrow?  They'd get booted out faster than you can say "veldspar".

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• whilanwhilan Member UncommonPosts: 3,472
    Originally posted by Tylerbrown13

I think you might like Crowfall, it has this kind of idea built into the core of the game.

I agree that it would be kind of ridiculous to destroy years of work for the benefit of newcomers, unless the game is built like that from the start and everyone knows what they're getting into. This isn't the kind of thing you just throw in there after years of work, like "Oh, by the way, we're getting rid of everything".

Or we could create a second server for newcomers? I just figured after all this time people would figure the game is pretty much "beat" those that are high up are going to pretty much remain there. The biggest problem I hear of, is when people come into this game those that have already been there for so long just stomp all over them, and it has trouble getting fresh blood so to speak.

Most people who come into a game don't like feeling they are already at a massive disadvantage because they came into the field late.

Or there could be like a hall of fame or something on the new server that tells of the top 20 corps and top 100 players where they could show their work, but you are right that it wouldn't be nice to suddenly throw that in there suddenly and say yeah we are going to remove everything. So maybe a second server wouldn't be a bad idea for those that want it?

Is ToR going to be good? Dude it's Bioware making a freaking star wars game, all signs point to awesome. -G4tv MMo report.

• DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    While I don't know how many people are like myself, I've always avoided Eve specifically due to the time locked progression.  I've disliked it in every game its existed in, including Age of Wushu and Pathfinder Online.  Maybe I'm the only one, but I'd try Eve right now on a new server, especially if they dropped the time based xp thing.

• KopogeroKopogero Member UncommonPosts: 1,685

Restarting server is actually the only solution the game has to fix some of the issues it didn't previously that did some permanent damage as well as ensure it has bright future which will be also essential for those vets as well. A bright future cannot happen without a consistently declining population. The game will only become less and less of what it is.

EVE economy is good, but far from great. This is an issue when you have NPC's consistently adding isks (currency) in the game. Economy doesn't work like that in real life. You don't always have people willing to pay you top or hire you to do missions/jobs. There is this thing called supply and demand. If players in EVE were actually using that currency rather than bulking it then this would not been that serious of an issue. The "cloning" and "insurance" was the biggest mistake CCP did with their game.

The passive skill gain was the nail in the coffin. Truth is this won't happen in near future. CCP will be pleased to milk what it already has left for milking and cut the staff/development for the game accordingly with the amount of milk it will be left receiving. Then MAEBY when a very small population is left, they can do one desperation move and restart the server in a desperate attempt to bring most if its lost subs as well as potential new subs.

Finally, you'll be still competing with players who know every loophole or things new players have yet to learn/figure out. A decade or more is a significant time for one to learn most of the game, how it works and what works best to achieve something the quickest possible way and not to mention the established social circle which is essential for winning important battles and holding valuable areas in the game.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Originally posted by whilan

I know that everyone has the most awesome idea, and I don't by any means think this is one of those save the game idea (nor do I have the knowledge to say it's in trouble), but I'm curious what people would think of maybe a server restart or retire the old server (declare the winners or something) and start up a new one.

This would allow everyone to start on an even footing again and may allow those that feel they started too late to try again and get a real chance at the game.

What are you guys thoughts on this, does this sound like something that might be a good idea?

Bad,/wrong headed thinking.  Doesn't get the game Eve Online.

/end myThoughts

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by Robokapp

I think the coalitions would instantly reform and re-occupy their homeland.

you're not losing to a 10-yo vet because he has Gallents BS 5 and you only have 3. You're losing to him because he's in a well-established coalition.

This pretty much, in the end nothing would change, and the people complaining they never had a chance will still be complaining that they never had a chance.

This thread is really about how much they don't understand Eve Onlineimage

• RPGPhreekRPGPhreek Member UncommonPosts: 16

Sorry but 3100 posts and this is the first time you have seen this idea banded about? Seems like a troll to me.

In case its not and you really need to get in ground floor on a space game, try a competitor like Star Citizen or Elite or something. This idea is posted about constantly and not only the devs but majority of the playerbase firmly refuse it. It would be the deathknell for the game.

• hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401
    Originally posted by Phry

you're not losing to a 10-yo vet because he has Gallents BS 5 and you only have 3. You're losing to him because he's in a well-established coalition.

This pretty much, in the end nothing would change, and the people complaining they never had a chance will still be complaining that they never had a chance.

This thread is really about how much they don't understand Eve Onlineimage

Oh yes. And this is also why the whole Crowfall approach is doomed to fail. They people on top are not on top be course they "got a head start", they are on top be course they are the best at the game. No ammount of resets is going to change that one bit.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Serverwipe advocates never quite get that. :) 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

A) first this was a suggestion, I tried to make this as non threatening as possible, so not sure where the troll idea is coming from. Everyone is new to something and doesn't always have all the info, post count is not a factor. A troll post is saying, your game is dying, it sucks, your game will shut down, your trying to cause a fight. Asking people's opinion on something is a curiousity question, not a a possible troll post.

B) I was asking peoples opinion on the idea, I don't go on the EvE forum and i've only played Eve a bit but never really got into it.  People on Eve forums see this idea the most because they are already there, you see it pretty much every time it's posted, I don't. Most of my post count comes from the time SW:TOR was the big thing on this forum.

C) Sometimes resetting everything after it's become "stagnant" can help to mix things up, apparently Eve not that sort of game. also to note I don't mean stagnant as a bad thing, just more so that it doesn't really seem to change.

D) Also to the one person who quoted my post count, maybe you should look at my posts? You'd see i'm not the trolling type and would figure out that i'm actually someone who tries to learn and does things in the interest of understanding things just like i'm doing here.

I was basically seeing an issue and offering a suggestion, I generally didn't see this suggestion made in MMORPG so i threw it out there.  If the Eve community doesn't want it, then it obviously won't work and I got the answer to my question.

Would a second server maybe work or would that result in the same effect as well or would the people just take over that one and rule both or would newer players have a chance?

PS. The reasoning behind why I thought restarting the server would work is because most of the stuff is takes a bit of time like skills and getting the parts/building up the base take time, whereas here it was already built.

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699

A) first this was a suggestion, I tried to make this as non threatening as possible, so not sure where the troll idea is coming from. Everyone is new to something and doesn't always have all the info, post count is not a factor. A troll post is saying, your game is dying, it sucks, your game will shut down, your trying to cause a fight. Asking people's opinion on something is a curiousity question, not a a possible troll post.

B) I was asking peoples opinion on the idea, I don't go on the EvE forum and i've only played Eve a bit but never really got into it.  People on Eve forums see this idea the most because they are already there, you see it pretty much every time it's posted, I don't. Most of my post count comes from the time SW:TOR was the big thing on this forum.

C) Sometimes resetting everything after it's become "stagnant" can help to mix things up, apparently Eve not that sort of game. also to note I don't mean stagnant as a bad thing, just more so that it doesn't really seem to change.

D) Also to the one person who quoted my post count, maybe you should look at my posts? You'd see i'm not the trolling type and would figure out that i'm actually someone who tries to learn and does things in the interest of understanding things just like i'm doing here.

I was basically seeing an issue and offering a suggestion, I generally didn't see this suggestion made in MMORPG so i threw it out there.  If the Eve community doesn't want it, then it obviously won't work and I got the answer to my question.

Would a second server maybe work or would that result in the same effect as well or would the people just take over that one and rule both or would newer players have a chance?

PS. The reasoning behind why I thought restarting the server would work is because most of the stuff is takes a bit of time like skills and getting the parts/building up the base take time, whereas here it was already built.

Don't take the comments personally.  Long time Eve players see this suggestion brought up a lot by new players who don't understand Eve.

Please don't recommend a second server... that's a bigger bear trap than the "reset" suggestion. :)

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

A) first this was a suggestion, I tried to make this as non threatening as possible, so not sure where the troll idea is coming from. Everyone is new to something and doesn't always have all the info, post count is not a factor. A troll post is saying, your game is dying, it sucks, your game will shut down, your trying to cause a fight. Asking people's opinion on something is a curiousity question, not a a possible troll post.B) I was asking peoples opinion on the idea, I don't go on the EvE forum and i've only played Eve a bit but never really got into it.  People on Eve forums see this idea the most because they are already there, you see it pretty much every time it's posted, I don't. Most of my post count comes from the time SW:TOR was the big thing on this forum.C) Sometimes resetting everything after it's become "stagnant" can help to mix things up, apparently Eve not that sort of game. also to note I don't mean stagnant as a bad thing, just more so that it doesn't really seem to change.D) Also to the one person who quoted my post count, maybe you should look at my posts? You'd see i'm not the trolling type and would figure out that i'm actually someone who tries to learn and does things in the interest of understanding things just like i'm doing here.I was basically seeing an issue and offering a suggestion, I generally didn't see this suggestion made in MMORPG so i threw it out there.  If the Eve community doesn't want it, then it obviously won't work and I got the answer to my question.Would a second server maybe work or would that result in the same effect as well or would the people just take over that one and rule both or would newer players have a chance?PS. The reasoning behind why I thought restarting the server would work is because most of the stuff is takes a bit of time like skills and getting the parts/building up the base take time, whereas here it was already built.

I guess people consider your post as a troll post because it is proposing something so obviously flawed that it cannot be meant seriously and for other purpose but upset people...

However, there is the flaw in your reasoning in case you are honestly missing it:

You base your proposal on perception of someone being "on the short end of the stick", the problem is that there will always be someone on the short end of the stick, thus your solution cannot provide desired fix.

Originally posted by dave6660

Don't take the comments personally.  Long time Eve players see this suggestion brought up a lot by new players who don't understand Eve.

Please don't recommend a second server... that's a bigger bear trap than the "reset" suggestion. :)

I, don't understand. if you don't want to say why here for some possible reason you can send me a PM detailing the reasons. I'm actually really curious why that would cause more of a problem.

Either way apparently however it is, is the way it will be, maybe it just that cemented you can't alter it, and no amount of starting over or changing it will affect that. Well at least I got the answer to my idea :)

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by dave6660

I, don't understand. if you don't want to say why here for some possible reason you can send me a PM detailing the reasons. I'm actually really curious why that would cause more of a problem.

Either way apparently however it is, is the way it will be, maybe it just that cemented you can't alter it, and no amount of starting over or changing it will affect that. Well at least I got the answer to my idea :)

SInce Google isn't your friend, here's a link that might help you understand things a bit better:

http://syncaine.com/2014/05/29/a-fresh-start-or-a-kick-out-the-door/

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• CaptainSoapCaptainSoap Member UncommonPosts: 142

to be honest, the reason why the vets may seem so far ahead is their well established coalition + their years of experience. the skill training on it's own really isn't so big of a deal. it (overtime) gives you a variety of ships to fly and things to do. starting the game over or having a second server really isn't going to fix a lack of knowledge/friends in the game. 

starting into eve seems intimidating, but it's just about learning the game. the skill training happens naturally. if you wanted to get into eve and have a fair chance, do some research on game mechanics and then join a corporation/alliance. get yourself into group activities. because in the end it isn't about having a blinged out cloaky proteus or whatever you want to fly. it's about the connections you have in-game. 

Relevant link as to why newbies are awesome and valuable.

• LacedOpiumLacedOpium Member EpicPosts: 2,327

Waste of forum space.  Never happen.  This aint a game to the people that run the game, its a business.  They don't care about what new people are whining about, they care about their core supporters who have been around for a decade.

• EnikEnik Member UncommonPosts: 99

"Even-footing" is impossible in a game like EVE. They would have to repeat this process every three to six months to appease the people that feel that they are being left behind. This is a terrible idea and CCP would never, ever consider it.

• HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    I have played Eve. Had 4 accounts at one time. Anyone that says "they can not catch up" has no clue about the game. I do not care much for the game now, but you can play for a month and be flying a battlecruiser able to take on lvl 3 missions and some4's, be in an elite mining rig, or be a pvp frigate able to compete in corp missions. It does not take long to specialize and compete. It is flying specialized ships, battleships, and caps that take time. Frankly why would you want one of those with out the base to support one of them?
  • MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297

OK sure, but just to test the idea out, we're going to need you to give up your job and take a paper round instrad so that some 14 year old kid doesn't feel like he's starting life out at a disadvantage compared to you.

Report back to us with your findings and we'll get started on the project.

Give me liberty or give me lasers

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534

yea, won't happen.

just because you found out about a game 10 years later, doesn't mean people have to do what you want ^^

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• YalexyYalexy Member UncommonPosts: 1,058

The reason why this will never happen and why it's a bad idea to begin with is the economy of the game.

When EvE was first released, you could sell the mined ore to NPCs, as there was not enough demand due to lack of players being able to fly big ships that needed lots of materials.
    It took even longer before the whole T2-stuff got really kicking in the economy, as it takes even longer to train for.

So if you would reset the server today and have everyone start with only 50k skillpoints, then the economy would take some 1-2 years before it would be working as intended again.

The knowledge of the old players would still give them a big advantage over those, who just started and the big established alliances would simply reform at day one and start a landrush leaving those young players still without a chance.

Leaving EvE untouched also offers much more opportunities for new players, as there's an allready established market they can sell to or buy from, the new players can join allready established groups and feel supported, ect, ect, ect.

So there you go.

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534

another reason this won't happen, because ccp love their customers, their paying ones. 

and they never gave a rat's ass about "what they should do to appeal to the masses". that's why they have that stable (and as it seems big enough) player base to keep their game running for 10 years, or... it's the russians :P

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"