Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Heroes of the Storm: Open Beta Unleashed

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Fans of Blizzard IPs and games will definitely sit up and take notice of the fact that Heroes of the Storm has been unleashed into open beta. Starters will get an awesome trio of heroes including Jim Raynor from Starcraft, Sylvanas Windrunner from World of Warcraft and Diablo from the Diablo series of games.

All that is required is to head to the Heroes of the Storm site, sign up and get cracking.

Will you be playing?

//config.playwire.com/1001557/videos/v2/3632438/zeus.json

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,363

lol played a game. and the 1 thing that comes up is a on  message on the middle screen that wants me to click  HERE .....to mute team chat....is this a joke? .....no1 talked so i guess every1 clicked that ...

the game feels like a kindergarden version of Dota

• Mange1Mange1 Member UncommonPosts: 266
    It would appear to me that their intended audience are players that think a game like League of Legends is too intense, I'll stick to DOTA.  HotS < LoL < DOTA < SMITE < Gigantic in my book
  • machajasmachajas Member UncommonPosts: 47

The mute-all is recently implemented feature (and with influx of "pros" from LoL/Dota, famously toxic (hate this word) communities, it's fitting).

Tbh Blizz strikes the mark with HOTS, no silly 30 mins of last hitting, saving money for items, which don't really matter anyway, as you 90% of the time buy the same ones every game... and then get rolled by the most fed guy on their team.

Now in HOTS you don't have to bother with last hitting, solid teamplay is promoted, comebacks are very well possible, variations of maps and mechanics in place to prevent game dragging (map objectives, limited ammo in towers) and ofc famous characters and graphics. What's not to like?

Born from blood,
    trained to kill,
    ready to die,
    but never will!

• AcidonAcidon Member UncommonPosts: 796
    Originally posted by Skuall

the game feels like a kindergarden version of Dota

Yeah.. It's pretty weird for Blizzard to take a proven game formula from other studios, dumb it the fuck down, and then release it as an amazing game.

Oh.. Wait.

• husscoolhusscool Member UncommonPosts: 77
    Haters gonna hate. DOTA and LoL are boring as fuck compared to HotS.
  • Choda88Choda88 Member UncommonPosts: 17
    Yea, DOTA 2 and LoL are become so boring for me. Dind't log in for two years now. I could not stand one more match. On the other side I am having bast with this game! :D
  • fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    Hots is dumbed down yes but it's fun. League of legends is dumbed down and it's not fun. So I guess I will play hots and Dota :D

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• exile01exile01 Member RarePosts: 1,089
    Why do so many people say HoTS is for the simple minded people??
  • kenpokillerkenpokiller Member UncommonPosts: 321

Didn't like in CBT, don't like it now.

I mean great initiative and all.

But i'm so tired of the "Blizzard hue". All their games look alike in graphics style and it's becoming boring.

Sway all day, butterfly flaps all the way!

• XingbairongXingbairong Member RarePosts: 927
    Originally posted by exile01

Probably because the game is too hard for them, so obviously they will bashed.

The truth is that HoTS is a lot more competitive than both DOTA and LoL.

Everything machajas said above in his comment is spot on. What's more HoTS promotes hard team play. You can't get carried by a single person. 

Also it requires fast response to what the enemy is doing. I won't get into details, but I'll say for example on Haunted Mines the teams have to make a lot of hard decisions constantly. There are literally 10s of different scenarios on what you could do at late game even if you are losing to win.

In DOTA and LoL the strategy if you are losing is to wait till your carry get's fat enough to contend with their carry. That's all. 

• Veexer_NuiVeexer_Nui Member UncommonPosts: 268

Shared experience gain, no items, no gold. If someone on your team is feeding, you've lost.

Trash game trying to make some money from LoL/Dota success. 

Archeage EU - Nui

• HeraseHerase Member RarePosts: 993
    Originally posted by Xingbairong

Everything machajas said above in his comment is spot on. What's more HoTS promotes hard team play. You can't get carried by a single person. 

Also it requires fast response to what the enemy is doing. I won't get into details, but I'll say for example on Haunted Mines the teams have to make a lot of hard decisions constantly. There are literally 10s of different scenarios on what you could do at late game even if you are losing to win.

In DOTA and LoL the strategy if you are losing is to wait till your carry get's fat enough to contend with their carry. That's all. 

Bit of a bold statement to make. Yes 100% agree HotS is a heavy on team play, but to say LoL and DOTA is all about getting the ADC feed, then win is a bit of a joke.

• KhaunsharKhaunshar Member UncommonPosts: 349
    Originally posted by Veexer_Nui

Shared experience gain, no items, no gold. If someone on your team is feeding, you've lost.

If someone on your team is feeding in LoL or Dota, its lost as well. Number of games where you can win a 4 vs 6 in either game is miniscule. Yes, it CAN happen, but then i find it a lot more winnable in HotS, where "feeding" really doesnt give the enemy team so much stuff.

Items are talents, so the "no items" thing actually just means you have little clue how the game works. Variety of build per champions is as diverse as in LoL, where usually only 1 or 2 valid item builds exist. No Gold you are correct, the lack of "farming" and last-hitting is indeed a removal of complexity, I ll give you that.

Its a casual Moba, but judging from your post, you either lack experience, intelligence or interest in actual discussion.

• yaminsuxyaminsux Member UncommonPosts: 973

Dumbed down or not, as long as it is fun, who cares? In the end you play game to have fun, if you dont, find other games that interests you.

Take Skyrim/oblivion for example, it is basically dumbed down morrowind. But it is fun nonetheless.

Originally posted by Khaunshar

If someone on your team is feeding in LoL or Dota, its lost as well. Number of games where you can win a 4 vs 6 in either game is miniscule. Yes, it CAN happen, but then i find it a lot more winnable in HotS, where "feeding" really doesnt give the enemy team so much stuff.

Items are talents, so the "no items" thing actually just means you have little clue how the game works. Variety of build per champions is as diverse as in LoL, where usually only 1 or 2 valid item builds exist. No Gold you are correct, the lack of "farming" and last-hitting is indeed a removal of complexity, I ll give you that.

Its a casual Moba, but judging from your post, you either lack experience, intelligence or interest in actual discussion.

As you've said if someone is feeding on your team, you have most likely lost teh game. Also someone said that one person can carr ythe team, I guess that may be true if you are playing in extremely low skill level games.

I don't get what you mean by your item comment. Items are more confusing to newbies who have never played the game. Variety per champion is probably more diverse than LoL. One thing I hated about LOL was how pigeonholed everything felt. Compared to DOTA it feels so very limited.

Farming gets so tedious after a while. Playing a hard carry in DOta makes me want to kill myself nowadays.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

Originally posted by Herase
    Originally posted by Xingbairong

Bit of a bold statement to make. Yes 100% agree HotS is a heavy on team play, but to say LoL and DOTA is all about getting the ADC feed, then win is a bit of a joke.

Completely agree. I have lost count of the number of times there was a comeback in Dota and it was not due to the carry "getting fat".  In the late game one lost team fight can and probably will cost you the game. Once you team wipe the enemy team has enough team to destroy your entire base and end the game.

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699

If one or more members of your team are playing badly and the other is playing well as a whole don't you think it's fair you should lose?  It is a team game right?  If one member of a team can win by himself then it's not much of a team effort.

In my experience in DOTA 2, there are usually feeders on both sides in the lower brackets.  Players blame everyone else for their team's loss.  I wonder if anyone ever says to themselves, "what could I have done better so maybe we could have won that game?".

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• HytekHytek Member UncommonPosts: 153
    Will I be playing? Having already tried the game several times in alpha and closed beta I can assure you that the answer is a resounding NO. The game is just... so... boring...

I have found in my lifetime, that the beauty of hating stupid people is, that it crosses all racial boundaries.

• fearufearu Member UncommonPosts: 288
    How do you get the free heros listed in the short article?
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    Originally posted by fearu

The free hero rotation? It changes weekly.

• fearufearu Member UncommonPosts: 288
    Originally posted by Panther2103
    Originally posted by fearu

The free hero rotation? It changes weekly.

Ah so its not free, article is misleading.

• BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556

The improvements they've made to this game in the last couple months have been amazing.

I didn't like it at first but have stopped playing other mobas because of how fun this game has become.

• hikaru77hikaru77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,123
    Originally posted by DMKano

As a Dota2 player I am not the intended target audience I know that because to me this is a really weak moba attempt.

Possibly the weakest game Blizzard has ever done  *in my opinion*

The game is designed for non-moba players but here's the conundrum - after a while these players become moba fans and realize that there are much better moba games out there.

So I guess this game is a temporary training/tutorial that leads to better MOBAs 

What is the real problem that DOTA and LOL players have with this game?, They need to change their minds and auto-pilot game mechanics  to play HOTS, and because most of them cant do it, they just talk about how easy and bad HOTS is. 

HOTS is about teamplay, the most balanced MOBA that i have ever played, there is not place for OP players and toons, DOTA and LOL Hardcore players, cant deal with that. 

• BC_AnimusBC_Animus Member UncommonPosts: 115

One thing I actually like about HoTS compared to other MOBAs is the team shared experience thing. It gives players who are not doing so well a chance to remain useful and competitive - whereas in other MOBAs if you don't know what you are doing, or if you are having a bad day and can't level up as fast as the other teams' players you are basically screwed.

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Originally posted by DMKano

As a Dota2 player I am not the intended target audience I know that because to me this is a really weak moba attempt.

Possibly the weakest game Blizzard has ever done  *in my opinion*

The game is designed for non-moba players but here's the conundrum - after a while these players become moba fans and realize that there are much better moba games out there.

So I guess this game is a temporary training/tutorial that leads to better MOBAs 

Agreed. Honestly, I've played LOL and DOTA2 and never really found it all that accessible or intuitive to play. I have actually tried LOL on multiple occasions and still only have about 10 hours invested. So this could be something attractive to people like me. I highly doubt they were targeting current MOBA players anyway. Look at Hearthstone. Should be interesting to see if they have that sort of success with HotS. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------