Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Graphics dont make a game...

blucommunistblucommunist Member Posts: 73

Graphics are imporant. But they are not the most imporant part of gameplay.

I know because there are many, many, many, etc "old" games that have "ugly" graphics that are still very popular and have a loyal fanbase. RV will be good if the gameplay and community live up to what they are peddeling. I can almost be %100 precent sure that mmos fail- not because of graphics- but crappy gameplay, lack of developer intrest/ updates, and no community feel.

In other words, I am tired of hearing people bitch about graphics and that one should not try something because of lack of eye-candy. I still think tetris is fun.

"Despite what they tell you the original RAY's is on 7th ave."

Comments

• BoochBooch Member UncommonPosts: 23

So you gonna pay $15/month for tetris? If I'm paying a monthly fee for a game it had better be polished! Just like the monitor I use to play - I expect a good one and won't settle for playing on an old 15" EGA CRT.

• ChawncyChawncy Member UncommonPosts: 75
    There is no monthly fee for RV.
  • JorevJorev Member Posts: 1,500

Graphics are not the most important thing, but they do matter.

There will be a monthly fee for many players in the form of buying in-game coin for real money. The revenue system is based on that expectation and game mechanics will be manipulated to coerce that reality in order to produce those results, as stated on RedBedlam's website.

"We feel gold selling and websites that promote it damage games like Vanguard and will do everything possible to combat it."
    Brad McQuaid
    Chairman & CEO, Sigil Games Online, Inc.
    Executive Producer, Vanguard: Saga of Heroes
    www.vanguardsoh

• ChawncyChawncy Member UncommonPosts: 75

The fact still remains, there is no monthly fee to play this game. Because someone who may not wish to earn the money in game is able to pay to play does not constitute a subscription fee. It has been stated and proven you can earn enough sest in game through crafting or joining a legion to live a comfortable existence in RV.

Could you provide a link where $15/month will be necessary to compete in the game?

• Altex44Altex44 Member Posts: 25
    Well considering that RB has to make at least some revenues from the payments, I'm sure that it is pretty difficult to earn money in game.
  • blucommunistblucommunist Member Posts: 73

Originally posted by Jorev
    Graphics are not the most important thing, but they do matter.
    There will be a monthly fee for many players in the form of buying in-game coin for real money. The revenue system is based on that expectation and game mechanics will be manipulated to coerce that reality in order to produce those results, as stated on RedBedlam's website.

No i agree..but that also brings up a good point. Buying money has ruined alot of the ingame economies in alot of games. AO being a good example. Everyone buys there money in that game.

"Despite what they tell you the original RAY's is on 7th ave."

• KanothKanoth RedBedlam Comm. Mgr.Member Posts: 295

Originally posted by blucommunist

No i agree..but that also brings up a good point. Buying money has ruined alot of the ingame economies in alot of games. AO being a good example. Everyone buys there money in that game.

Many discussions about that on the official boards.  You might be intrested in taking a look.

"Rome wasn't coded in a day"
    - Kanoth

• thepkerthepker Member Posts: 192

a good example to that is runescape... the number of players it has with those SH*TTY kind of graphics and the fun ive had when I played it at the age of 9 was UBER!

Call me retarded if you wantimage

• OrdieOrdie Member Posts: 86

Both.

You can either start a new character or work on your new "way of life" with the same character. After all, with no skill restrictions and skill degrading, in no time, you'll shape your character to your new life.

- Starcius

• ShumaShuma Member Posts: 4

Originally posted by Ordie

Both.
    You can either start a new character or work on your new "way of life" with the same character. After all, with no skill restrictions and skill degrading, in no time, you'll shape your character to your new life.

I think you wanted to post that as an answer to my question in the "Characters" thread... tnx :)
  • herculeshercules Member UncommonPosts: 4,924

Well graphics aside ,yeah they are pretty bad atm but they said they will "work" on them and raise setting so for benefit of doubt lets see.

The gameplay itself is very questionable.I think its fair to say lets give them a chance  but for the developers you really need to re look at this game if you have any hope of been a "player" in the current market of big budget mmorpg.

• GIROGIRO Member Posts: 219

big budget means nothing....take a look at wow, eq2, swg, etc etc etc...they are all equally shit. it only takes one developer to think outside the box and get it right in terms of content, and for me redbedlam is one of the few companys that are catering for this market that is hugely untapped. people who have played mmos from the beggining know that mmos are greatest when people r allowed the freedom to do anything they want and not constricted by what a developer or publisher feel is user friendly. take alook at eve online perfect example.....ive heard they just hit 100,000 players.considering eves beggining where it neally dissappeared up its own ass this is quite a milestone

C

• herculeshercules Member UncommonPosts: 4,924

Originally posted by GIRO

big budget means nothing....take a look at wow, eq2, swg, etc etc etc...they are all equally shit. it only takes one developer to think outside the box and get it right in terms of content, and for me redbedlam is one of the few companys that are catering for this market that is hugely untapped. people who have played mmos from the beggining know that mmos are greatest when people r allowed the freedom to do anything they want and not constricted by what a developer or publisher feel is user friendly. take alook at eve online perfect example.....ive heard they just hit 100,000 players.considering eves beggining where it neally dissappeared up its own ass this is quite a milestone

Well  that aside it still has a long road to go .Can't go into specifics till the nda is lifted and maybe by then it will be better.

I want it to be a good game but as it is currently it needs huge amount of work  and i mean huge.

• Mikey0114Mikey0114 Member Posts: 310

Well....Hercules is right....don't expect the game to release anytime soon, a lot needs to still come together. Still the same....it seems the testers enjoy being ingame, though they require lots of patience.

Let me tell you, this game is the closest game to what the old UO community misses and desires. No game, to my knowledge is as close to completion as RV is, but still has some way to go before it should be properly released. Darkfall, The Chronicle, ToA....to my knowledge those are the games the old UO community are waiting for....High-Fantasy genre....well unfortunately RV is set in the Roman Era, but still its the closest you will get to a good MMORPG similar to old UO's.