Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WildStar: Carbine Apologizes for Downtime with Vanity Pet

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

WildStar players will want to check their inventories for a new vanity pet given by way of apology for recent downtime extensions. Be on the lookout for an Enhanced Pumera and give its cheek a little pinch for us, will you?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• mcrippinsmcrippins Member RarePosts: 1,625

Apologized to who? jk..

I actually would try the game again if it went F2P, but the rumor on the street is the PvP server is dead. Made me sad =[

• hockeyplayrhockeyplayr Member UncommonPosts: 604
    Originally posted by mcrippins

Apologized to who? jk..

I actually would try the game again if it went F2P, but the rumor on the street is the PvP server is dead. Made me sad =[

Just went back for a returning player trial.  PvP server is dead. Everyone seems to have transferred to pve.  they do allow 1 server transfer per week though for free. 

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

Apologized to who? jk..

Not a rumor really. But, you can flag yourself on the PvE server and get pummeled quite effectively.  Hopefully the F2P model will bring enough folks back to see the huge changes and it sparks interest in the PvP servers.

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Maybe there lies the REAL problem,too many people focused on pvp?

I always have to ask WHY,the interest of pvp in a rpg game,your getting a far inferior pvp product.You'll never tops the skill base in an Arena setting where the map is every bit a skill as the aiming.Also arena type pvp usually or should offer a wide array of weapon choice depending on distance and scenario and what your opponent is wielding.

I could write a book on map layout and Arena combat and weapons,but no need,anyone growing up in the era of Quake and unreal know where the real true skill is in pvp.

RPG's do almost everything wrong in pvp,it is about unfair advantages and why there is always a cry to BALANCE everything.PVP is not about balance ,if done right it is about paper rock scissors and learning to use the map defensively and offensively and using predictability and zaxis.RPG's offer NONE of the skillful assets of an Arena pvp fps type game.

RPG's are big time suited to PVE,just as a FPS is not,developers need to get it right and understand the flaws in gaming.I know MANY a people enjoy rpg pvp,i have stood back and watched it back in the L2 days,i lol@everyone just standing in an open field in front of a Castle spamming each other mindlessly.When i see standing out in an open field,i think,why bother even have graphics,why not just create a big square non textured box and let everyone go nuts?

Point is LOSE the pvp and FOCUS on one aspect and make that one aspect PVE BIGGER,BETTER,lots of choice and depth in systems and importantly make it look GOOD,not cartoony.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991
    That was nice of them. I'm sure both players are happy.

Joined - July 2004

• zaberfangxzaberfangx Member UncommonPosts: 1,796
    Not sure, right now pvp server few to little, even new people come in, there jump the ship to pve overtime, don't think the pvp server going last to long. Unless there some buffs make it people stay on the pvp server, like x amount stuff you get or something, so the pvp server don't die out, for people that like it.

And befor people say, come on! pvp sucks in wildstar is not balance, when no game have a balance pvp, they all do buff and nerf all the time, trying to balance and still so many class and spec so underpower or overpower.
  • puma713puma713 Member Posts: 288

Am I the only one who sees a problem with apologizing with vanity items?  You can only get this pet if you were affected by the downtime, so that means that anyone else in the game that may have wanted that pet is out of luck.  You had to be inconvenienced by Carbine to receive this pet.  

You don't give special costumes, pets, etc. to people without allowing the rest of the general public to participate.  If you wanted to apologize, give free game time, give buff potions or xp/renown boost.  Give items that would be useful in the game, but don't give items exclusive to a fluke time period.  

Just my 2 cents.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

/played: EQ, EQ II, DAoC, WoW, LoTRO, AoC, CoH/CoV, WAR, Aion, Tera, Wildstar and many others that don't merit listing

/playing: Clash of Clans, Hearthstone

• RPGenieRPGenie Member UncommonPosts: 33
    Originally posted by NightHaveN

Apologized to who? jk..

Actually there are people in the game that not only like the game, but also like how the developers treat the playerbase. We all know Carbine is in serious monetary problems, they don't have to, but still they go miles to keep players happy. 

Don't remember WoW or ESO giving anything when they screw up. Hey ESO was even crashing a lot for half a year. Still to this day my money is well spent here.

WoW used to many years ago give back small amounts of game time but certainly not in recent years. It is refreshing to see some game companies actually care about such things these days. I will have to check things out again sometime soon.

• ButeoRegalisButeoRegalis Member UncommonPosts: 594
    Originally posted by hockeyplayr

Apologized to who? jk..

Just went back for a returning player trial.  PvP server is dead. Everyone seems to have transferred to pve.  they do allow 1 server transfer per week though for free. 

Yep, don't go to the PvP servers at this point.

You can do everything on the PvE server that you can do on the PvP servers, arenas, battle grounds, war plots, etc. You can even flag yourself for open world PvP if you have the balls.

• KilrainKilrain Member RarePosts: 1,185
    Originally posted by Wizardry

I always have to ask WHY,the interest of pvp in a rpg game,your getting a far inferior pvp product.You'll never tops the skill base in an Arena setting where the map is every bit a skill as the aiming.Also arena type pvp usually or should offer a wide array of weapon choice depending on distance and scenario and what your opponent is wielding.

I could write a book on map layout and Arena combat and weapons,but no need,anyone growing up in the era of Quake and unreal know where the real true skill is in pvp.

RPG's do almost everything wrong in pvp,it is about unfair advantages and why there is always a cry to BALANCE everything.PVP is not about balance ,if done right it is about paper rock scissors and learning to use the map defensively and offensively and using predictability and zaxis.RPG's offer NONE of the skillful assets of an Arena pvp fps type game.

RPG's are big time suited to PVE,just as a FPS is not,developers need to get it right and understand the flaws in gaming.I know MANY a people enjoy rpg pvp,i have stood back and watched it back in the L2 days,i lol@everyone just standing in an open field in front of a Castle spamming each other mindlessly.When i see standing out in an open field,i think,why bother even have graphics,why not just create a big square non textured box and let everyone go nuts?

Point is LOSE the pvp and FOCUS on one aspect and make that one aspect PVE BIGGER,BETTER,lots of choice and depth in systems and importantly make it look GOOD,not cartoony.

Darkfall Online proved everything you posted here wrong. RPG FPS game where the NPC's were fun as hell to fight and PVP was a blast. The only thing it was missing was content.

Maybe YOUR problem is YOU don't like PVP and should STOP whining about other people liking pvp.

• BitripBitrip Member UncommonPosts: 279

I agree, people who play MMORPGs for PVP are playing the wrong genre. That's why MOBAs are a thing now.

Now, which one of you will adorn me today?

Originally posted by Bitrip

I agree, people who play MMORPGs for PVP are playing the wrong genre. That's why MOBAs are a thing now.

MOBA's are boring. I love MMORPGs and I love PVP. You sir are wrong. Just because YOU like something a certain way doesn't mean shit. PVP is a part of RP.

• Big.Daddy.SamediBig.Daddy.Samedi Member UncommonPosts: 409
    Originally posted by Kilrain

MOBA's are boring. I love MMORPGs and I love PVP. You sir are wrong. Just because YOU like something a certain way doesn't mean shit. PVP is a part of RP.

You realize that you are telling him that his opinion is wrong, while saying that your opinion is right? This statement could easily be turned around on you. My stance on this is that we play what we like. We need to go back to EQ1 server styles. RP servers with enforced rules, PvE servers, and PvP servers.... hell even through in a Hardcore Permadeath server.

PvP is done better outside of the MMO Genre, but that doesn't mean there isn't room for PvP in the genre. I just agree that developers need to focus on one or the other.

My 2Cents

Originally posted by Big.Daddy.Samedi
    Originally posted by Kilrain

You realize that you are telling him that his opinion is wrong, while saying that your opinion is right? This statement could easily be turned around on you. My stance on this is that we play what we like. We need to go back to EQ1 server styles. RP servers with enforced rules, PvE servers, and PvP servers.... hell even through in a Hardcore Permadeath server.

PvP is done better outside of the MMO Genre, but that doesn't mean there isn't room for PvP in the genre. I just agree that developers need to focus on one or the other.

My 2Cents

He said people who like pvp are playing the wrong genre. I told him he was wrong BECAUSE I like pvp and MMORPGs. I stated already that all of this is just opinion so perhaps YOU should re-read my post.

"PvP is done better outside the MMO Genre" - Opinion that I absolutely do not agree with. Anything else I can help you with?

• zaberfangxzaberfangx Member UncommonPosts: 1,796
    PvP is currently the weak part of MMO because imo they are doing it the wrong way. Instead of instanced battlegrounds or open PvP, they should embrace the social aspect that makes MMOs unique. Make tools for guilds fight each other anywhere, make them fight for advantages in loot & rep in areas. Again, PvP tournaments and arena seasons should still stay, but as casuals demand non raiding content in PvE, companies should provide more for casuals in PvP.

It's hard to say what mmo doing something wrong with there pvp, in a lot the times alot fun of the game over who best seem the pvp does better in a mmo.

Allods try the social aspect what your saying to embrace it, they have guilds fight over loot to upgrade there gear, fighting over rights over having more of upgrades part, for there gear or there ship, and much more, but the pvp in allods not many people like the social in fights, even allods have sub a model if people think the f2p to p2w and still have not took off.  Just none of that is going work this day of age, well I have not seen it.

• Big.Daddy.SamediBig.Daddy.Samedi Member UncommonPosts: 409
    Forget it, not worth getting into an argument over.

• Mange1Mange1 Member UncommonPosts: 266
    Originally posted by Big.Daddy.Samedi
    Forget it, not worth getting into an argument over.

You already lost if you thought there was a way to win a battle of opinions.  I also agree with him, as much as I like MOBAs I want a MMORPG with good pvp because I love skill based PVP but second in my gaming priorities is character customization and depth.  Something that is very scarce in MOBAs.

• KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    PvP is currently the weak part of MMO because imo they are doing it the wrong way. Instead of instanced battlegrounds or open PvP, they should embrace the social aspect that makes MMOs unique. Make tools for guilds fight each other anywhere, make them fight for advantages in loot & rep in areas. Again, PvP tournaments and arena seasons should still stay, but as casuals demand non raiding content in PvE, companies should provide more for casuals in PvP.

I can see this.  Honestly games like crowfall, albion, etc are trying to do exactly that.  Those are PvP focused games, mind....but still efforts are being made to provide more meaningful PvP content.  PvP is great fun, but it can always be made better with incentives like resource control, etc.  I for one am excited by the thought of these games, and while I'm not a big time PvPer their systems have captured my attention whereas every other PvP format has been a big "meh" to me.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

I disagree with everything you've said. PvP outside of a mmorpg is something different to me. Something I'm not nearly as interested in. WS started with a large pvp population drawn by wpvp arena's battle grounds and guild battles. The pvp was designed so bad that nearly every person who joined for pvp left. This cut the games population significantly which caused a chain reaction.

The same thing happened to The Secret World. Like GW2 earlier (not a fan of the pvp|) and ESO today, their pvp allowed them to avoid the fate of their rivals. 

There are no successful mmorpgs without strong pvp. 

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956

invasion nexus- has really filled the pve world with many alternate ways todo missions & dailies. and the new hub zone is pretty dam good!

contracts has killed 'endgame' boredom!

they need to tweak a few things in pvp to have the game in a good place! -and refocus back to the main story?

a hybrid model would be ideal to bring in the cheap folks- and make Ncsoft happy, only time will tell.

the mechanics and style in this game makes pvp amazing!- so yeah pvp is pretty awsome in this game.

they need to balance classes a bit.

k ur clueless. goodbye.