Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hello people of FFXIV - Would you be so kind to help me? =)

HexipoxHexipox Member UncommonPosts: 241

Hello FFXIV players,

I’m thinking of trying this game out. But have a few questions, so I was hoping some of you would try help me out.

I know I could probably get a lot of this from google and their own site, but I really like when players who actually play comment on these things, gives a much better view of what the PEOPLE thing, not the journalist or the salesmen at Square Enix Holdings.

In the past year I've played ESO and GW2 and really havent had any "main" mmo since SWTOR at launch, so the now im looking for one to sink into -  maybe this is it for me?

I am looking at playing the Archer and probably becoming a bard for utility in groups, like that position, but how do they fare at DPS, are they notable or are they more skilled in support and a minor DPS class?

Can a Archer actually become any job? Can you become a Ninja Archer? Or is ninja restricted for melee? Even a Archer Black mage?

How accepting is the game for a casual play (10-15h a week)

How challenging is dungeons? Are they fun or just a lol_farm_place?

What gear pattern do the game follow? Farm dungeons, then raids then you are the best.

Is the story/gameplay fun? If I choose to quit after I hit max level, did I have a fun time trough the story line?

Is the game very farm orientated? Most Asian games are like farm farm farm farm!

Are you required to be stationary when you do attacks (channeling a lot of your attacks) or can you move around jumping and fire arrows at will?

When your max level, what then? Just end game or are there any levels after that? Special points etc?

Probably most important – how is the community? People like to help each other – group up? Easy to find a good “family like guild” to do instances etc? are people in general nice to eachother or more the type “lol u dmg is shit lol lol l2p!”?

Thank you all in advanced, i appriciate your time trying to help me out :)

Comments

• JakeSimJakeSim Member RarePosts: 883
    Originally posted by Hexipox

Hello FFXIV players,

I’m thinking of trying this game out. But have a few questions, so I was hoping some of you would try help me out.

I know I could probably get a lot of this from google and their own site, but I really like when players who actually play comment on these things, gives a much better view of what the PEOPLE thing, not the journalist or the salesmen at Square Enix Holdings.

In the past year I've played ESO and GW2 and really havent had any "main" mmo since SWTOR at launch, so the now im looking for one to sink into -  maybe this is it for me?

It could be. :p 

I am looking at playing the Archer and probably becoming a bard for utility in groups, like that position, but how do they fare at DPS, are they notable or are they more skilled in support and a minor DPS class?

Im not sure of the exact answer as my main classes have been Dragoon and Ninja but I think they're both support and dps and I'm pretty sure I've seen them do decent dps.

Can a Archer actually become any job? Can you become a Ninja Archer? Or is ninja restricted for melee? Even a Archer Black mage?

No. The only job an archer can become is a Bard.

How accepting is the game for a casual play (10-15h a week)

1-50 Youde be alright. Sometimes doing just a primal fight can last about half an hour. The Coils can take a decent chunk of time too. If you have a few hours each day I'm sure you'll be fine.

How challenging is dungeons? Are they fun or just a lol_farm_place?

The end game dungeons can be some of the most challenging dungeons I have played in an MMO. (Primarily some of the primal fights and Coils)

What gear pattern do the game follow? Farm dungeons, then raids then you are the best.

You can run the Coils for the i135 gear or you can farm dungeons and what not for Poetics (currency) for i120 gear (which the armor pieces can be upgraded to i130)

Is the story/gameplay fun? If I choose to quit after I hit max level, did I have a fun time trough the story line?

The story is pretty involved. The combat isn't amazing but it's decent. 

Is the game very farm orientated? Most Asian games are like farm farm farm farm!

theres farming for the poetics I mentioned above and farming for your relic weapon can take a loooooot of time.

Are you required to be stationary when you do attacks (channeling a lot of your attacks) or can you move around jumping and fire arrows at will?

you can't dodge arrows but the ground will be highlighted when there is a npc move that can be dodged. There's also some other mechanics (watch the Leviathan primal fight).

When your max level, what then? Just end game or are there any levels after that? Special points etc?

Golden saucer (card game, chocobo racing, etc). Farm for better gear. do relic weapon quest line, lvl alternative class, do alternative class relic weapon, etc.

Probably most important – how is the community? People like to help each other – group up? Easy to find a good “family like guild” to do instances etc? are people in general nice to eachother or more the type “lol u dmg is shit lol lol l2p!”?

Depends on your server.

Thank you all in advanced, i appriciate your time trying to help me out :)

Please come check out my stream. All the love is appreciated! 

TWITCH: @JakeSimTV