Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Tell me more about the Subscription instead of F2P, or other scams

delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081

Please forgive me for being a Pantheon noob, but this is my first look at this mmo.  I see on top that it clearly states the game will be subscription and I'm having a hard time believing it with all the F2P scams as of late.

Before I go into deep study of Pantheon's features I would like to see if its even worth the time....because scams are total game breakers for me.  I would easily pay a box price and $15, 20, 30 a month just don't scam me.

It's also imperative that everyone on my screen are on an even playing field as I. You make what you earn, after all its to be an MMO.

So please tell me more so I can continue :) 

Comments

• MagnetiaMagnetia Member UncommonPosts: 1,015

Instead of hyping yourself up about an alpha state arse looking game you could just wait until they release the game and then determine if it is a scam. 

The question you are asking has no answer. It is a ridiculous question because the game simply isn't done. We can only tell you it's a scam when

a) the cash shop comes out

b) when people can put dollar values onto things inside the game

The question of whether it is a scam is up to you. Is wildstar a scam? No, but it certainly would feel like a scam to people who saw the game fall apart.

Play for fun. Play to win. Play for perfection. Play with friends. Play in another world. Why do you play?

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    Originally posted by Magnetia

Instead of hyping yourself up about an alpha state arse looking game you could just wait until they release the game and then determine if it is a scam. 

The question you are asking has no answer. It is a ridiculous question because the game simply isn't done. We can only tell you it's a scam when

The question of whether it is a scam is up to you. Is wildstar a scam? No, but it certainly would feel like a scam to people who saw the game fall apart.

I few paragraphs of nothing......Thanks anyway

• ZarriyaZarriya Member UncommonPosts: 446
    Originally posted by delete5230

Magnetia makes a good point, even if it was  bit rough :) .  No one knows until the game is actually played.  I have been through too many launches and have seen promises made with games then those promises are broken.  I am sure he has as well and he speaks from experience. That said it is always fun to get excited about the development of a game you want to play.

Now delete, I am like you and many others. You want a game that is sub only and where all your items are earned in game and give no cash shop advantage to others:  I hope for that too.  Kilsin, the communtiy manager and I had a discussion in this thread about that very topic: https://www.pantheonrotf.com/forums/topic/1756/the-cost-of-the-niche-game?page=5

I can quote him as saying "We will be subscription based with no cash shop"

If you would like to know more about the game, I suggest you visit their website - they have a good description of the game here: https://www.pantheonrotf.com/forums/topic/1614/pantheon-rise-of-the-fallen-g

• goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141

What you are describing are the games to me that are the most fun.  Buy the game, pay a fair amount per month (which both amount to peanuts) then enjoy all aspects of the game and know that development focuses on internal fun not the cash shop.

Though there are a bunch of people like us there are it seems these days far more that believe software has no value, and that someone else should pay for their experience, unless they want a hat or mount out of the cash shop, then for whatever reason its now okay to pay for a game they are playing.

I can only hope that Pantheon is building a game for gamers that believe in the above and not the give me something for free crowd.

But to try and answer your question, Box Sub or F2P, that totally depends on how many people Pantheon are targeting.  If its in the 100k to 200k range then I think you will get what your asking for.

If they just want to throw stuff at the wall and see what sticks then your looking at B2P or F2P.

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    Originally posted by Zarriya

Magnetia makes a good point, even if it was  bit rough :) .  No one knows until the game is actually played.  I have been through too many launches and have seen promises made with games then those promises are broken.  I am sure he has as well and he speaks from experience. That said it is always fun to get excited about the development of a game you want to play.

Now delete, I am like you and many others. You want a game that is sub only and where all your items are earned in game and give no cash shop advantage to others:  I hope for that too.  Kilsin, the communtiy manager and I had a discussion in this thread about that very topic: https://www.pantheonrotf.com/forums/topic/1756/the-cost-of-the-niche-game?page=5

I can quote him as saying "We will be subscription based with no cash shop"

If you would like to know more about the game, I suggest you visit their website - they have a good description of the game here: https://www.pantheonrotf.com/forums/topic/1614/pantheon-rise-of-the-fallen-g

Thanks Zarriya,

Sure it's a long ways away, but it's nice to know the basic intent of developers.  And the second reference web site makes Pantheon sound like what I'm looking for and I'm sure most other old schoolers.

And we all know nothing is set in stone, and all nasty money grabs info are usually given closer to launch.  Lets see !

• ZarriyaZarriya Member UncommonPosts: 446
    yw!
  • MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614

Shame you don't get it what he was posting, because he was spot on about your post.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• Raidan_EQRaidan_EQ Member UncommonPosts: 247

I've been following the project since the Pre-Kickstarter days and the message has been consistent that it will be subscription based.  But, as others have rightfully said, words mean nothing until the game is launched.

However, with that said, the current development team has made strides even in the pre-alpha state to reinforce that there will be no cash shop by removing in-game type advantage items that used to be purchasable on the Pantheonrotf.com website such as Sprinter's Boots (think Jboots) etc. when crowdfunding / funding is sorely needed to continue developing the project.

I know many/most current supporters of Pantheon absolutely do not want a cash shop and the development team would lose many supporters for an already niche audience if one was present at launch.

• DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    Just to clarify further, they don't intend to charge up front for the game.  They want it to be free to try, but subscription based.