Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Question.

GameboyMarcGameboyMarc Member UncommonPosts: 395

Do you play this game, and if you don't did you? Why did you stop? I am just curious. I started playing this game about a month ago, I am almost level 60. 

Thank you for your time.

Comments

• FangrimFangrim Member UncommonPosts: 616
    I stopped playing 3-4 weeks ago,been playing 10 years before that.Currently playing no MMORPG.

• NetspookNetspook Member UncommonPosts: 1,583
    Played for several years, with some breaks of varying lengths. Decided to quit for good a year or two ago, because of poor expansions, and the annoyances of killing the same mobs over and over and over again, because so many quests typically requires you to do so.
  • DelCabonDelCabon Member UncommonPosts: 258

I tried EQ2 at launch and being a mostly casual/social player it was just far too group dependent at the time. Fast forward about a year or so and I returned with some friends and happily found the game much more "casual" friendly.

My favorite features were the crafting, housing and collections. I wish more games would take a queue from the interactive crafting features of EQ2. Crafting in EQ2 plays out more like its own mini-game than some grinding ritual. 

Overall I enjoyed my experience. Looking back its hard to pin point exactly why I left. I kept leaving to play out new Lotro content and when GW2 came out I was just more enthralled with the faster paced and more simplistic combat it offered.

My last trip back to EQ2 was fairly short lived and I found myself getting bored quickly.  I was also a little frustrated that even after investing in a high end rig and graphics card I was still unable to play on high settings smoothly.

I still haven't deleted it from my hard drive and may check back in the future given the lack of new options for my play style.

Del Cabon
    A US Army ('Just Cause') Vet and MMORPG Native formerly of Trinsic, Norath and Dereth. Currently playing LOTRO. 

• MordithMordith Member UncommonPosts: 210

I played for several years but the expansion treadmill got tiresome.  Every expansion was the same thing:  Repeatedly do the same group instances to collect tokens to turn in for gear particular to that expansion. 

The other thing that drove me insane were the number of abilities for each class.  For any given fight you needed to have 4 or 5 hotbars open and would go through anywhere from 10 to 20 different abilities.  While you had to put thought into which ability to cast and when, every fight was a spam fest.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

I actually struggled to get any good support to retrieve my password from this game so gave up and have not played it in about a year.I finally just kept trying using various password combos i tend to use and got lucky and played the game today as matter of fact.

I used to really like this game but i have some bad things to say at this point in time.

1 Support has gone completely to trash,they canned most of the support options and staff.This is further scrutinized by fact DB had the gumption to release a to the public letter claiming they were all about community,which is total bull.I found it hilarious reading some response some SOE/DB employee gave about how to make support better after removing most fo the support options/staff.He mentioned something about setting up a "call time" ya right whatever,this DB operation is all about cutting every cost possible and putting little effort into their games.

Now as to the game,my first impression back in the game was terrible but there might be a reason,so i have to hold off on total anger.LAG more LAG and tons of lag and of course my client crashed once.

The game was always a terrible lag fest ,poorly coded and not optimized even though they made claims of optimizing,again total BS.However my current PC is decent enough i  should have no troubles with the game at all.

Now the part where i might be a tad lenient,i was d/l Archeage and forgot i was so perhaps it was causing some problems.However when i logged out of EQ2,i noticed the game was already done d/l and the only thing i had open was the Glyph UI,so not likely a cause of lag.

I will have to say that i was already disgusted in SOE's direction and poor effort but since the switch to DB it has got far worse,no way in hell does this brand deserve any support,i won't be supporting SOE/DB  in the present and likely never.

Daybreak is NOT a serious game developer,they are just looking for cash grabs.Sadly i have a ton of Station cash i won't be getting rid of.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    went F2P is my biggest reason I'm not playing anymore. I'll never come back or play any F2P
  • AvarixAvarix Member RarePosts: 665

I tried it when it was first released. My computer couldn't handle it at all. It was a headache to even try. I gave up after a very short time. Not sure if I remember correctly, but it was said that SOE was betting on CPUs vastly improving and built their engine around that, instead of GPUs. 

Fast forward a bit and I tried it again a couple/few years later, and even though I still had problems with it running on my computer, it seemed to be better optimized. My problem was it was group oriented and it didn't have a great population. Being group oriented is what attracted me back to it but it didn't have the population to support it. I didn't even last a month.

At present I have no real interest in it. I have read that it has dramatically changed with regards to grouping. Suppose to be able to solo, or at least hire minions, to get you to cap and experience a majority of the game without needing other players. I already have a lot of games like that I can play, which I do, so it's not really on my radar to be honest.

• hockeyplayrhockeyplayr Member UncommonPosts: 604
    i used to play back in freshman year of college but stopped when life took over and my roommates dragged me out of my room.  Thinking about picking it back up again though, just logged on and realized I just received my 8 year vet rewards. 
  • BakgrindBakgrind Member UncommonPosts: 423
    I played the game from the moment it launched for about 2 years. I primarily left because I would cringe in the hopes that my chosen class would not be nerfed do to their  their monthly class and combat balance patches that tended to nerf your chosen  class. One would thought that they would of been properly fleshed out by the time the game launched so it felt like I was paying to  beta test the game. But it was more to that EQ II almost felt like a job where you had to camp certain areas by killing mobs in that area in the hopes that you would get that Named Mob to spawn for your quest. But ultimately left because they were about to do their first forced server merge and I didn't want to be a part of that so I moved on to the game that they were trying to emulate and that was WOW.
  • DijonCyanideDijonCyanide Member UncommonPosts: 586

I used to play this game when it was under the Sony Online Entertainment (SOE) umbrella.  I enjoyed it & thought it's crafting system was pretty good.  I liked the idea & utilized the concept of having all my Station Cash (SC) able to be used for all their games.  I even played Vanguard.  I remember the moment I decided not to purchase anymore SC nor subscribe to their games.  I was playing EverQuest2 (EQ2) & wanted to repay the kindness of a player that had gifted me something from the EQ2 store.  I purchased it & learned I couldn't give it as a gift unless I was subscribed.  So I bought a month subscription since even as a free player I don't mind donating to games I play as a free-player from time to time.  However, under SOE's EQ2 policy I had to be subscribed for at least (31) days & a subscription of course is (30) days.  I used their "customer service" attempting to resolve the issue & explaining why I subscribed, but they didn't care.  I even contemplated disputing the subscription charge with my credit card company, but I didn't.  From that moment on I didn't subscribe to any SOE games & I ceased purchasing SC via game cards.  A couple of years ago that was the moment I was reminded how SOE's customer service still is & how little it's changed since original EQ.  Not that it's always bad, but how short-sighted & uncourteous it is.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

Loved the game, loathed the heavy handed ugly monetisation SOE (then) put into it.

I would still be playing it today and paying a sub and even using the CS now and again otherwise.

• WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,364
    Originally posted by Mordith

I played for several years but the expansion treadmill got tiresome.  Every expansion was the same thing:  Repeatedly do the same group instances to collect tokens to turn in for gear particular to that expansion. 

The other thing that drove me insane were the number of abilities for each class.  For any given fight you needed to have 4 or 5 hotbars open and would go through anywhere from 10 to 20 different abilities.  While you had to put thought into which ability to cast and when, every fight was a spam fest.

i feel the same way , i stoped playing after RoK , played a bit every next expansion but quit after 2 weeks at most...the game need to do what WoW did in WoD and remove/ merge skills BADLY , is the only game i would love to see that.

Merging servers would be awesome ....

• MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    Originally posted by Mordith

This is what drove me away, more than anything else.  Four to five hotbars is conservative.  I haven't played another game with so many redundant abilities.  The sheer ability bloat is overwhelming, especially to a new player.

• GameboyMarcGameboyMarc Member UncommonPosts: 395

Still almost at level 60 I have found mercenaries very helpful. Granted they are 1,500 game cash. It's like having a partner next to you. As a wizard I have a pally mercenary. From level 1 till now I have not grouped. I am told by the guild I am in the it WILL slow down around level 80. The cap is 100 right now. I will admit I am a sucker for housing, UO did that to me. I like playing the wizard I find it fun. I have about 2 hot bars worth of spells that gets me by.

I do not have any issues with lag though the game WILL crash on me once in awhile.  Not enough to annoy me, at least yet. As far as free to play goes there really doesn't seem to be a HUGE benefit to paying a monthly fee other then getting rid of the pop up that advertises it.  I kind of wish this game was more popular and did have more people. Though from what I've read a lot of damage has been done over time and may not be possible to undo it :(