Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is the Social Side of Eve Like?

ennymithennymith Member UncommonPosts: 121

Never played Eve, but have played lots of MMO's.  

All I have ever heard about Eve's community is that it is generally a very competitive, dog-eat-dog world, with player organizations being mostly about power and intrigue.

Is this true? 

Is there any purely social side to this game?

Are there any casual players or guilds that just play for fun and don't stress about how many credits they have etc?

Comments

• imahayheadimahayhead Member UncommonPosts: 33
    It really depends on where you are in the game as to what type of social environment you will have. High sec/low sec/wormholes will have a smaller community so people get to know each other pretty well. Null sec corps are good but often are very large so you don't really get to know everyone in the alliance, but you still get to know your corpmates. As a previous guy stated basically, its your small group against everyone else. I'm currently in a larger wormhole corp but we still know each other pretty well and play other games with each other when we're bored or need a break from Eve. As for the credits (isk) question, yes you will always want to make more isk so that you can pvp. If you don't like pvp, I would stay away from this game as there are really only 2 types of people. The first is those who pve to fund their pvp activities and the second are those who just do pve to earn isk and then eventually pvp with alts usually.
  • Quazal.AQuazal.A Member UncommonPosts: 859

Ok

The social side of eve is based strongly on ties made, are ties that last for as long as your in game 

THe way that the infrastructure is with a single server  every player you meet you will likely meet again, and because of this it can create strong bonds.

If i can give examples, The first nullsec corp i joined (about 7-8years ago) im still in touch with the guy who used to run that. I have made probably in region of 50 good friends - People that i can call friends out of game

In terms of in game, there is plenty of social events that happen, of course you cannot expect to start playing tomorrow and on monday be having a good laugh with a group of guys. Because of the nature of the game trust can take some time. However, There are often plenty of channels (trade or public) whereby you can get yourself known, you will meet plenty of people both good and bad (the bad less so)

For the type of player who dont care about wealth, then usually they end up being a pirate or just chilling in the NPC corp - in fact one guy i deal with on a daily basis has not left the npc corp for 12years now (im led to blieve he is 2nd longest running player to have not left the starter corp) he will often do giveaways in the starter corp to help the newer players.

The game has strong ties with the dvelopers and out of game events take place almost on a monthly basis in a city aorund the world, when these player run events happen devs / senior CCP guys will turn up, they usually start of a Q&A do a few group roams and then end up with hang-overs the following morning, some of these events, like Las Vegas yearly meat can hire out a whole hotel to party in.

I have played many games and nothing has even come close to the ties i have made with players and this coming february my plan is actually to make my first pilgramage to fanfest in Iceland (which can also be paid using their ingame credits )

https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=topics&f=4229  <

https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=topics&f=2939 World wide player meets forum

https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=topics&f=2938 Player run events like lotteries, give aways and roams

Have a browse around them, then make your mind up, of course if you do decide you want  to try it see my signature below, heck ill even say in game to you :) help you get your bearing if need be :)

This post is all my opinion, but I welcome debate on anything i have put, however, personal slander / name calling belongs in game where of course you're welcome to call me names im often found lounging about in EvE online.
    Use this code for 21days trial in eve online https://secure.eveonline.com/trial/?invc=d385aff2-794a-44a4-96f1-3967ccf6d720&action=buddy

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Like the others have said, due to the design you forge very strong social bonds within your circle, but can be extremely hostile outsiders.

But there is definitely some very chill players who just take it easy and enjoy the game, those are the people I usually hang with.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    Originally posted by ennymith

All I have ever heard about Eve's community is that it is generally a very competitive, dog-eat-dog world, with player organizations being mostly about power and intrigue.

Is this true? 

Are there any casual players or guilds that just play for fun and don't stress about how many credits they have etc?

EVE Players.

hmmm.

There are players ingame:

* that you can forge lifelong RL friendships with

* that will try to help you

* that befriend you yet spy on you for the enemy

* that befriend you waiting on a chance to profit from your mistakes

* that will abuse you

* that will try to kill you

Basically, all types of people that you can meet in the real word......you can find in EVE.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401
    Originally posted by Kyleran
    Like the others have said, due to the design you forge very strong social bonds within your circle, but can be extremely hostile outsiders.

But there is definitely some very chill players who just take it easy and enjoy the game, those are the people I usually hang with.

This. Very much this.

Played for 12 years now and I can assure you that it is very easy to find laid back relaxed  corps. Actually getting into the hard core active competitive ones is what is challenging. Kinda like all other MMO's really...

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

EVE players can be as friendly as they are cut-throat, and the majority of them seem to separate the game from the player very well. Basically, you could be dire enemies with a corp in game, but at a meet up or gathering, kick back and share a pint and good times. 

EVE players are willing to aid others. From EVE Uni for in-game newbies to PLEX for Good to aid people in real life need, you can find a helping hand. 

EVE players regular get together around the world for player gatherings. I just wrapped up the newsletter a couple of days ago, so I have a recent list handy:

The Corp Finder in game is a handy tool to help you find a group that matches your hours, interests and playstyle. Good luck!

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• maybebakedmaybebaked Member UncommonPosts: 305
    Not unlike the bar on Tatooine.
  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by maybebaked

That, too. :) 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380

The social side of EVE is a bit more of a shitshow than other games.  This is due to the fact that activities such as theft, scamming, player camping and killing players in "safe" areas is not only allowed, but actively encouraged by CCP.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not condemning these activities; they are absolutely necessary to the sandbox of EVE.  However, it absolutely 100% does attract more psychopaths and bullies than other, more protected, games.

I can't even imagine an Erotica 1 incident taking place in a more protected thempark MMO, and that's just the tail of the dragon poking through the murky water; the one in a thousand that was made public.

I've met both some of my best gaming buddies I've ever had in EVE, who have become good friends even when we/they didn't play EVE anymore, such as the core members of Black Watch Legionnaires.  I've also met some of the most spine tingling disgusting people I've ever come across in a game, such as the core members of Adversity.

It's a mixed bag, and not the kind where you put your hand in and get some red skittles and some green skittles.  I mean it's the kind of mixed bag where you might grab a skittle and you might grab a brown recluse.

Three great places to start out are EVE University if you want to learn the broader aspects of the game.  Brave Newbies if you want to jump right into null sec PVP, or Red vs Blue if you want to learn basic PVP and participate in NPSI.

• H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    Originally posted by Robokapp

Heh, funny, I was in that alliance for about half my EVE career.  In fact, I downvoted that stupid KB banner!  I liked the Masks better!  

Then they put Ben fucking Booley in charge.  No thanks.

• ArchlyteArchlyte Member RarePosts: 1,405
    Imagine the movie Cars but without the expressive faces, and with every shitty behavior that people can conjure online.  
    MMORPG players are often like Hobbits: They don't like Adventures
  • dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699
    Originally posted by imahayhead
    It really depends on where you are in the game as to what type of social environment you will have. High sec/low sec/wormholes will have a smaller community so people get to know each other pretty well. Null sec corps are good but often are very large so you don't really get to know everyone in the alliance, but you still get to know your corpmates. As a previous guy stated basically, its your small group against everyone else. I'm currently in a larger wormhole corp but we still know each other pretty well and play other games with each other when we're bored or need a break from Eve. As for the credits (isk) question, yes you will always want to make more isk so that you can pvp. If you don't like pvp, I would stay away from this game as there are really only 2 types of people. The first is those who pve to fund their pvp activities and the second are those who just do pve to earn isk and then eventually pvp with alts usually.

That is precisely what I liked so much about Eve.  Joining a pirate corp gives you that experience in spades.  Most other corps dislike you and you're KOS for everybody.  It's great fun.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    Originally posted by h0urg1ass

The social side of EVE is a bit more of a shitshow than other games.  This is due to the fact that activities such as theft, scamming, player camping and killing players in "safe" areas is not only allowed, but actively encouraged by CCP.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not condemning these activities; they are absolutely necessary to the sandbox of EVE.  However, it absolutely 100% does attract more psychopaths and bullies than other, more protected, games.

I can't even imagine an Erotica 1 incident taking place in a more protected thempark MMO, and that's just the tail of the dragon poking through the murky water; the one in a thousand that was made public.

I've met both some of my best gaming buddies I've ever had in EVE, who have become good friends even when we/they didn't play EVE anymore, such as the core members of Black Watch Legionnaires.  I've also met some of the most spine tingling disgusting people I've ever come across in a game, such as the core members of Adversity.

It's a mixed bag, and not the kind where you put your hand in and get some red skittles and some green skittles.  I mean it's the kind of mixed bag where you might grab a skittle and you might grab a brown recluse.

Three great places to start out are EVE University if you want to learn the broader aspects of the game.  Brave Newbies if you want to jump right into null sec PVP, or Red vs Blue if you want to learn basic PVP and participate in NPSI.

For the young people, it is a good preparation for Real Life.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297
    Originally posted by ennymith

Is this true? 

Competition between organisations is often intense and ruthless.

The community within organisations in an environment like that is generally pretty good.

Give me liberty or give me lasers

• ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    Originally posted by maybebaked

That !

From the most gentle of beings to the (in game) mass murderers, you find everything in that "hive of scum and villainy" called EVE Online. Make no mistake ... EVE is at its core a PvP game and you are not safe anywhere except when you are docked (and that may change in the future ;-).

You CAN play EVE relaxed and solo (been doing that since 2004), but it shines when you are playing together with others.

Have fun