Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] EverQuest: Travel Back In Time with the Progression Server

Comments

• LaurannLaurann Member UncommonPosts: 47

New graphics. Raid grouping for UBER fast leveling. No race class modifiers, no reason to use a lantern or a torch if your a barbarian. Pop timers on specials will be way too fast - the list goes on and on why this will not be a classic server from the get-go. Your nostalgia only exists here in your head. If they snatched p99's server, and went that route, you'd have the classic server your after.

As far as TLP goes, the PLAYERS won't determine jack. It will be the uber raid guilds that have crushed all the 99 content in the first 30 days that will have the vote power. I'll pass. 

• SweedeSweede Member UncommonPosts: 209

What WoW does wrong in my book anyway, all classes start to blend more and more, soon you can't tell if you play a healer or dps or tank, and they remove anything that could be a challenge, if remember to get arrows / bullets is hard :)

EQ classes are diverse and fun, just take bard for instance, sure now clerics and warriors can solo compared to the old days where a war had to sit and heal up after 1-3 kills, or cleric had to go for undead or take a day to kill something :)

• Silverthorn8Silverthorn8 Member UncommonPosts: 510
    Sounds like a dream come true. I really miss forced grouping or extremely hard soloing. Is this available as free to play or will the best experience be from a subscription?
  • FubarboxFubarbox Member UncommonPosts: 30
    I was really excited for this. I played this game for 4 or 5 years and it is by far the one I have the fondest memories of when it comes to the relationships formed through a great game. That said,  with all the graphic changes and zone redesigns, it killed my nostalgia so I am wondering whats the point. Thats just me though. 
  • totalimmortaltotalimmortal Member CommonPosts: 4
    Originally posted by Silverthorn8
    Sounds like a dream come true. I really miss forced grouping or extremely hard soloing. Is this available as free to play or will the best experience be from a subscription?

It will be subscription only for the progression server.  Give it a shot!

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Will it have the old UI? When I med to get mana back will I be looking at my spell book? lol
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle
    Will it have the old UI? When I med to get mana back will I be looking at my spell book? lol

Haha no, not by default.  But I believe there are some custom UIs out there that will mimic the classic UI.

• GavyneGavyne Member UncommonPosts: 116

Beautiful article, nicely written, and I thought the last paragraph summed it up well.  Going into the progression server you shouldn't worry about how long the fun may last, or how the population may look after x expansions.  You'll meet new friends, accomplish new goals, and probably die a lot.  You'll look back fondly at these memories later and laugh about it, and realize these are things you won't and can't experience in any other games on the market today...not even today's EQ/EQ2.

It's a great time to hop in and join the fun.  The newbie rush is going to be awesome...starting at lvl 1 with everybody else, seeing crowded classic cities, having to hoard & sell everything, barter for goods, grouping with strangers and making new friends & enemies, die a lot on things you normally would pwn with eyes closed, etc..  Fun times.

To answer the above, no you won't have to stare at the spell book, and the UI won't be old.  It'll be newer improved UI, the type where you can resize, move, drag, etc..

Played: EQ1-AC1-DAOC-FFXI-L2-EQ2-WoW-LOTR-VG-WAR-GW2-ESO-BDO
    Waiting For: CU & Vanilla WoW

• plescureplescure Member UncommonPosts: 397
    i would love them t do this for eq2! i have fond memories of doing the owl bear run through Nek forest, trying to make it to the docks!

If someone is talking in general chat in a language you dont understand, chances are they're not talking to you. So chill out and stop bitching about it!

• Storm_CloudStorm_Cloud Member UncommonPosts: 401
    Originally posted by Laurann

New graphics. Raid grouping for UBER fast leveling. No race class modifiers, no reason to use a lantern or a torch if your a barbarian. Pop timers on specials will be way too fast - the list goes on and on why this will not be a classic server from the get-go. Your nostalgia only exists here in your head. If they snatched p99's server, and went that route, you'd have the classic server your after.

As far as TLP goes, the PLAYERS won't determine jack. It will be the uber raid guilds that have crushed all the 99 content in the first 30 days that will have the vote power. I'll pass. 

I'm going to watch streams before deciding if I will play or not. If it gets completely out of hand, I will not give daybreak my money. But if it works and no crazy h2h dps from all classes and mages pets become nuclear missiles and soloes everything, well, then I'll happily pay my $15 for an old classic adventuring in a world of updated graphics.

I wish they had corpse runs. I'll end with that. :)

• FeonixoFeonixo Member UncommonPosts: 36
    Looks....zzzzz.... sorry, I fell asleep looking at the screenshots ;)
  • syriinxsyriinx Member UncommonPosts: 1,383
    Originally posted by Laurann

What it will have, is the most important thing.  the great group mechanics.

Granted it took a few expansions for this to be at its peak (which is why I wouldnt touch project 1999 with a ten foot pole, the group experience is FAR superior a few expansions in, and the group experience is ultimately the best part of EQ) but classic EQ is still a much better group experience than anything else on the market (well FFXI is good too, but the classes don't have the same depth of EQ's)

• FirstKnight117FirstKnight117 Member UncommonPosts: 109
    Originally posted by Feonixo
    Looks....zzzzz.... sorry, I fell asleep looking at the screenshots ;)

Shhhhh! You aren't allowed to have a negative opinion of Classic EQ on these forums! Because, Golden Age Of Online Gaming. Don't question it Feonixo, just get in there and play! 

I don't have 40 hours a week to "enjoy" EQ 1999, but I don't try to upset the apple cart with criticisms of graphics either. Shhhh!

• DeadlyneDeadlyne Member UncommonPosts: 232
    This is going to be intense.  Too bad my statistics final is on the night the server starts.  Ah well, one extra day won't kill me.

Just to question the philosophy. Army of Socrates.

• kjempffkjempff Member RarePosts: 1,759
    Originally posted by IakXastur
    If I would roll a monk, never actually played one for any length of time, is the question is if money would weigh anything at this point? Or is it going to be droppable like it was originally

Official announcement says: Money has no weight on progression server.

Also, at last progression server monks were overpowered with fists (no weapon), if that is not fixed monks will be the highest dps class by far for a few expansions - By luclin, top raid gear will start replacing fists. Poor night vision is almost eliminated by the current client, so playing a human monk is not too bad. Besides Magician, Monk will be the easiest class to level.

Edit:

yup monk/beastlord fists will be op like last progression server, mage pets will be op. Apparantly they can't fix it, shame.

ps. most questions are answered here: http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/9/view/forums/thread/431788/Everquest-Progression-Server-Ragefire-Launch-May-20th-2015.html

P99 has its charm, but despite progression servers problems, they have some (depending on taste) nice advantages.. new server with new not bloated economy, much better client version, newer character models, working collision detection (nothing walks/aggro through walls), 1000 little improvements ..naming a few, shrinking issue for large races in certain zones are fixed.. proximity pulling is possible (lesser pull aggro range than pulling with ranged attack), ability to turn the camera around while meditating to avoid getting jumped, and much more.

It is a matter of taste but personally I had much more fun with last progression servers than I ever did in P99. One note/opinion though, most of the people who wants 6 months between expansion are the ones who will quit because it is "not like it was back in the days", the remaining players will then be stuck with the decision... this is based on how the last progression servers went.

And if you consider playing here is a tip: It is not like it was back in the days, if you want a nostalgia trip you will only be disappointed, embrace what it is now and enjoy the good changes and ignore the bad ones.

• sbfbeefsbfbeef Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 58

Heres the thing, Yes monks and Mages have an advantage.  Its not as game breaking as people make it out to be.  Here's the honest truth.  Enjoy going back to the game you played when you were a kid.  Don't worry about what everyone else is doing.  EQ was all about the journey to max level.

I played EQ from Kunark till PoP.  I never raided once.  I never camped the best of the best spawns. You don't need the best gear in the game to enjoy it!.   I loved this game and never raided a single dragon. 

Heres something I don't see anyone mention,  TWINKING!!!!! Making ALTS in this game is like none other.  If you can afford to buy some gear for him or her.  Twinking alts was almost more fun then leveling my main.

For all of you people who don't know what a Twink is, or the term.... Its buying high end gear for your new character.  One of the GREAT things about everquest was that almost all the gear that you find can be traded.  There are very few items that end up BoP.   You can trade/use/sell the same BP of awesomeness over and over and over.

If you cant tell, im pumped to play again!  When the server launches ill give out my character names (don't want it taken).  Id love to group up with some of you fine folks

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    Originally posted by Toladin
    Does anyone know if the original race / class xp penalties will be enforced ?

Not sure about the penalties, but the bonuses will be there for rogue, warrior and Halfling.

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    Originally posted by sbfbeef

Heres the thing, Yes monks and Mages have an advantage.  Its not as game breaking as people make it out to be.  Here's the honest truth.  Enjoy going back to the game you played when you were a kid.  Don't worry about what everyone else is doing.  EQ was all about the journey to max level.

I played EQ from Kunark till PoP.  I never raided once.  I never camped the best of the best spawns. You don't need the best gear in the game to enjoy it!.   I loved this game and never raided a single dragon. 

Heres something I don't see anyone mention,  TWINKING!!!!! Making ALTS in this game is like none other.  If you can afford to buy some gear for him or her.  Twinking alts was almost more fun then leveling my main.

For all of you people who don't know what a Twink is, or the term.... Its buying high end gear for your new character.  One of the GREAT things about everquest was that almost all the gear that you find can be traded.  There are very few items that end up BoP.   You can trade/use/sell the same BP of awesomeness over and over and over.

If you cant tell, im pumped to play again!  When the server launches ill give out my character names (don't want it taken).  Id love to group up with some of you fine folks

Not anymore, level recommended weapons no longer give you max damage despite the modified lower number, including bows.  Lack of decent low level armor will also mean a lot more deaths, since all premium armor pieces are marked as level required, not recommended.  The exception will be things like the fungi tunic, but that is two expansions away  : )  It won't be a true experience, but it won't be a walk in the park either, except for the hardcore power gamers of course.

• itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999

thing 4.  there will be queues.

I will be there :)

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

Originally posted by itchmon

thing 4.  there will be queues.

I will be there :)

Not so sure about that. I heard they're trying to make "instances" of the zones. That means that there will be no server queues. Except for the first day of course, when everyone wants in at the same time. Otherwise, I think it will be fine if they get "instances" of the zones working. The beta version of the server has some zones crashing a lot, so I guess it's not 100% yet, but they still have a few days. :)

I'm curious how over powered the mages are. I've heard horror stories that mages can solo anything. They are so OP that some are considering dual boxing mages, even up to 4 accounts. So, when they say anything, does that mean that a group of mages are going to be the ones that finish off the 3 bosses? Vox, Nagafen and the Kedge Keep boss?

I remember back in the day on my server there was a group called the manaburn team. They killed dragons just with 1 group of wizards. I think it was like 5 wizard and some other class... Forgot what class that was... This sounds like almost the same problem.

• ChantsyChantsy Member UncommonPosts: 5

WooT! Chantsy will once again be selling crack to all you addicts! :)

I can't wait to start charming again. Not one game out there has ever created the Enchanter class like it was in EQ.

However, when the latter expansions come, we might experience the great Enchanter walk out again.

Until then C3 for all!

Especially on those low level magic users... never has a moment of down time.

OH! And I can't wait to get back into a real AoE group again.

OH! And that call at 3:00am because the dragon for the Cleric "clicky" spawned.

OH! And breaking into the Plane of Fear or even Hate.... that will be a experience once again.

See you all there.

• goozmaniagoozmania Member RarePosts: 394

Yes, yes it was. I was in the premier raid guild on the Vulak server form the start, and it was pretty sad. We'd have to wait until we had a certain number of magicians before we'd start. Also, a group of 3 or 4 magicians were the server first kills of Vox and Nagafen.

Groups, starting from the early teens would either have a magician, or take 4x longer to kill anything. Pulls were dictated by your magicians mana, not your healer's.

They were extremely game breaking.

Edit: Wanted to add you'd often find a solitary mage camping spots that entire groups would camp in the original game. So yes, it was extremely game breaking.

• DeadlyneDeadlyne Member UncommonPosts: 232
    Originally posted by goozmania

Yes, yes it was. I was in the premier raid guild on the Vulak server form the start, and it was pretty sad. We'd have to wait until we had a certain number of magicians before we'd start. Also, a group of 3 or 4 magicians were the server first kills of Vox and Nagafen.

Groups, starting from the early teens would either have a magician, or take 4x longer to kill anything. Pulls were dictated by your magicians mana, not your healer's.

Man Vulak must have been a lot different than Fippy.  Most often on Fippy you didn't have a mage in your group.  Every class is more powerful than it used to be.  The only time I had a group waiting on the magicians mana was when I was in pure caster groups and the pet was the groups tank.  Other than that we would be waiting for the cleric/druid/shaman to get their mana back to pull.

The classic raid mobs were cake, nobody waited until there were a certain number of mages because it was hella easy with any combination of classes.  If you had a raid you were almost guaranteed a kill on Vox and Nagafen.  Of course that is if they were up, nobody was waiting on mages because you couldn't wait once the mob popped.  If you didn't have the team to kill it the other guild standing right next to you did.  Game over, mob dead mad quick, no waiting on mages to arrive.  It was this way up through Velious.  No raid mob that was beatable stood for more than a couple of seconds before it was attacked by a raid that was waiting for the spawn.

People love to exaggerate mages for some reason.

Just to question the philosophy. Army of Socrates.

Edit: Wanted to add you'd often find a solitary mage camping spots that entire groups would camp in the original game. So yes, it was extremely game breaking.

Interesting! Thank you for sharing!

I'll be monitoring streams and the forum in the beginning. If any of this repeats itself, I will not be playing at all. It should reveal itself pretty quickly into what direction it will go. I already heard plans of magician makings on the current beta streams on twitch and it seems like history is repeating itself.

It sucks, I was looking forward to playing. Now I just gotta wait and see.

Originally posted by Storm_Cloud

Interesting! Thank you for sharing!

I'll be monitoring streams and the forum in the beginning. If any of this repeats itself, I will not be playing at all. It should reveal itself pretty quickly into what direction it will go. I already heard plans of magician makings on the current beta streams on twitch and it seems like history is repeating itself.

It sucks, I was looking forward to playing. Now I just gotta wait and see.

Don't let the way other people play ruin your fun.  Everything balances out pretty well by Velious.