Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Whats the best way to level with a friend who just started?

seeyouspacec0wboyseeyouspacec0wboy Member UncommonPosts: 714

I'm a lvl 31 BRD but haven't played in about a year so I'm totally out of it. She is level 5 at the moment and started in Uldah (I'm from Gridania).

Should I start a new class and level with her? I can't do the story quests with her so would that be pointless? Should I remain lvl 31 BRD? Will I get level down for quests? Should I just wait for her to get to where I'm at in the main quest? That could take awhile. Not really sure what route to take here.

On a side note, if she wants to do some power leveling, what would be the best way for me to help her do that? I've never done it in this game. Thanks!

Originally posted by Scagweed22
is it the graphics? the repetativenesses? i mean what is the point? you could be so much more productive in real life
Real life brings repetition and pointlessness too. The only thing real life offers is Great graphics. Its kinda expensive too and way to dependent on the cash shop. Totally pay to win as well. No thank you. Ill stick to my games.

Comments

• PsYcHoGBRPsYcHoGBR Member UncommonPosts: 482
    I would start a new toon. Trying to do a new job on your level 31 will be ok in the new start zone you haven't been through but you will soon get to zones you have done.
  • seeyouspacec0wboyseeyouspacec0wboy Member UncommonPosts: 714
    Originally posted by PsYcHoGBR
    I would start a new toon. Trying to do a new job on your level 31 will be ok in the new start zone you haven't been through but you will soon get to zones you have done.

Man starting a new toon that I probably won't go back to just seems like a waste though :(

is it the graphics? the repetativenesses? i mean what is the point? you could be so much more productive in real life
    Real life brings repetition and pointlessness too. The only thing real life offers is Great graphics. Its kinda expensive too and way to dependent on the cash shop. Totally pay to win as well. No thank you. Ill stick to my games.

• PsYcHoGBRPsYcHoGBR Member UncommonPosts: 482
    I was thinking that to level with a friend on your 31 would mean that you would have to grind at some point while your friend has quests to do.  Depends whether you want to do this until your friend reaches the same stage you are at on your main. I tried to get into doing all jobs on one toon but the grind was boring as hell so I made alts instead.
  • Panter89Panter89 Member UncommonPosts: 1

For leveling your friend you should complete things in this order:

• Class Quests (Every 5 Levels)
    • GuildHests x2 (Every 5 Levels)
    • Hunter's Log (Every 10 Levels, Unlocked at level 1)
    • Story (Needed to unlock most content)
    • Dungeons (Good Exp)
    • FATES (Great Exp, do them when you see them.)
    I would suggest rolling a new class such as a tank or healer to help GuildHest and Dungeon quene times.

• GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308

A lot of the stuff your friend will be doing solo, but if you stick to BRD, or switch to another class, it'll be mainly the same, with the exception of you making a tank or healer to lower the queue times. Help your friend with their Hunting Log if they want the help, queue up with your friend for Guildhests and dungeons as they pop up, grind some leve quests together, do FATE's, whatever.

But since it's your friends first time through, the story is going to take up a good bit of time, and that's a solo thing, so just go do your own thing on occasion and don't expect to be with your friend for the entire trip, unless your friend skips all cutscenes and doesn't care about them, then you wouldn't be waiting for too long, but if the person wants to see the story, that would be a crappy way to go about it.

To story quests have to be done solo even if we are at the same point in the story, when we get there?

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    By allowing them to experience the game and not rushing them through because you don't care about some aspect of it. Let them play the game and just tag along.
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    Originally posted by Ozreth
    Originally posted by PsYcHoGBR

Man starting a new toon that I probably won't go back to just seems like a waste though :(

Is your friend a waste?

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • nbtscannbtscan Member UncommonPosts: 862

You don't need to start over to play with your friend.  Unlock a new class and play it with them.  You can party up with them for story quests that aren't solo-based instances and help them kill mobs.  

If you really want to speed things along, it would be ideal if one of you were playing a tank or healer (or both you playing one of each) so you can get fast dungeon queues while progressing through the story.

Originally posted by Grunty
    By allowing them to experience the game and not rushing them through because you don't care about some aspect of it. Let them play the game and just tag along.

What's wrong with you? Did I insinuate that I want to rush them through it? I clearly want to go THROUGH the motions of the game with them, which is why I'm trying to figure out the best way to be involved in the main quest line with them. I only mentioned power leveling at the end of my post because during down time from the main quest line it would be nice of her grinding went a little more quickly, only because we want to get her closer to my level (which isnt very high) so that we can continue actually playing the game together.

Thanks to everybody else who had kind responses. I think I will switch to a new class and do the story quests with them that aren't instanced, and do whatever else together until she is closer to my level. Thanks!