Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

do u think gw 2 model would work?

arakkunearakkune Member UncommonPosts: 24

its not about if its the best for the game just interested if u think gw1-2 model would be good for the game (ofcoure with advertising)

so base game for a price and expansions in 1 -2 years

Or maybe something like the secret world where drops will be like issues 1 drop 3 months (like right now) but  u have to buy them

So what do u think?

Comments

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802

I think it may already be too late for a change, they just waited too long.

Then again I had a look at the box price on my local version of Amazon and the price dropped to 15€. So who knows?

Not sure what's going on but I highly doubt NC will accept these numbers much longer.

Kind of wish Goblinking would go on to tell us all again how wrong we are and that the game is booming and that everyone who matters is already ingame.

Harbinger of Fools
  • NarwrynnNarwrynn Member UncommonPosts: 83

It is hard to say, all we really know is that the GW2 model worked for GW2 and that ESO, a fantasy game with similar play-style and features was able to turn around after going B2P even though it face problems similar to Wildstar early on. It may also be too late, they waited almost a year now and many that left the game have already given it a second chance just to find a dead PvP server or a lack of dungeon and adventure queues. 

Final Fantasy was able to relaunch even after their game was in shambles for quite a long time. Who knows. 

The only thing I'm certain of is that no single content patch will save the game. A new raid won't save Wildstar, a new zone won't save it, a new battleground won't save it because all that content requires players and with the game being this empty no one is going to sub for that stuff if they don't think they can find people to do it with. 

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    I think it would fit perfectly with the WS. The game has more players than many like to believe, and think because low quarter numbers mean it is totally dead. Carbine keeps adding and changing content for a much better game. I think a f2p/b2p model is just around the corner and we will see a huge change in population just like was in SWTOR.

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• MalaboogaMalabooga Member UncommonPosts: 2,977
    Originally posted by Dakeru

Kind of wish Goblinking would go on to tell us all again how wrong we are and that the game is booming and that everyone who matters is already ingame.

Didnt take em long :)

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935
    I agree.  I think b2p could do wonders for this game.  Look at ESO as an example.
  • x3cutoRx3cutoR Member UncommonPosts: 37
    Wasn't the game always kinda b2p-ish? You know, you buy the game, play as much as possible and buy that CREDD in-game to buy another game time and repeat. It's not even that hard to earn a CREDD. IMO, the game should go with the f2p model, like it or not.
  • HeraseHerase Member RarePosts: 993
    Think B2P would be fine and they should keep the model they're going with now ( content every few months), they seem to be able to keep up with demands even with low numbers. F2P would ruin it tbh, in the sense they would have to water the gameplay down and lower the effort needed to earn anything.
  • mystik13mystik13 Member UncommonPosts: 145
    From what I understand wildstar has a well developed housing system.  Housing offers alot of sales opportunities that aren't available in gw2 and don't unbalance the game at all.  B2p is my preferred payment model period.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

As poster 2 already said ...too late.It is not even about that,it is about the whole design of the game,imo is was a cheap budget design,one that with marketing might show some early success but would fail eventually with no long term staying power.

I do not like cartoony graphics,especially cheap looking ones.It ruins every possible visual in the game and guess what ,this is 3d VIDEO gaming,not the era of muds.Even your housing is weaker when it does not look good,items don't looks good,effects don't look good basically nothing looks good.So then we always hear "well game play matters more",wrong ,the ENTIRE game matters especially since 99% of the games are all the same,so you can't use the argument that game matters more when every other game is doing the same thing,with linear game play and tons of hand holding.

It is really simple,they went for a budget design,that is always going to be a crap shoot.They should be happy theior marketing made them some money,but judging how every game for the last 7 years has died off quickly after a few months,they should not be surprised their game did as well.

You want staying power,you need to put in the effort and cost otherwise expect in and out player base gaming.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785

B2P is a good model for a new game or for one with a secondary release (like ESO switched when it came out for consoles).

What Wildstar has a problem with is getting people into the game. Why pay to try it? You need F2P to get traffic in the door once a game hasn't pulled through as P2P.

I played during Beta which is why I knew I didn't want to buy or sub to the game. Would I come back if it went B2P? Absolutely not. I won't spend a cent on Wildstar based on my previous experience. Would I try it out if it went F2P? I actually might jump in one weekend when I'm looking to try something else for a bit, I might like it, I might not (probably won't), but I'd have given it a chance.

I personally prefer P2P, but that model only works if you have a product that people feel is worth paying for.

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430

I don't think it's so much about the pay model, but about the game.  There are examples of success for all of the pay models.  However, if the game doesn't have the 'it' factor, the pay model won't help.  I haven't played Wildstar, so I can't tell you.  I get the overall impression that it doesn't have very favorable reviews by the community.  

Once they fix the things that caused ppl to leave the game, then they can fiddle with the pay model to maximize their pay model.

I self identify as a monkey.

• XarkoXarko Member EpicPosts: 1,180

MMOs only really get one chance. Eighter your game has good core gameplay at launch or it hasnt. People wont come back no matter what they change at this point. 

Fortunately this game made it clear right in the beta, at least for most people.

• PepeqPepeq Member UncommonPosts: 1,977
    Originally posted by mgilbrtsn

Once they fix the things that caused ppl to leave the game...

LOL, that would be the game itself.  At this juncture, nothing short of an entirely new game is going to make any difference.

Reality 101.  Raiding is going the way of the do-do.  The preponderance of the player base only stay around long enough to complete the leveling content.  Few are interested in raiding in the traditional sense.  All they want is an automated raid that delivers loot with minimal effort and the least interaction with other people as possible.  WoW is about as close to that formula as you can get these days... and even they can't keep players beyond the leveling content.

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    At this point it will cost them a lot to move to F2P or B2P. All systems need to be designed to support that in a way to make money. It can be done but is it worth spending that money to do so? Trion will have to decide. I think they would do well to offer something close to what FF:ARR did. Say $9.99 a month for one char, $12.99 for 2 chars, $14.99 for 8. Something to lower the price to get people in the door. Maybe even offer a family discount when all subs are on one credit card. $1.00 off per month per family member. There are so many ways they can get people over there and still keep a sub.
  • EponyxDamorEponyxDamor Member RarePosts: 749

Nope.

NCSoft doesn't have a history of P2P -> B2P. With all previous games, they've gone straight to F2P. Based on that, along with the quarterly financial report that shows the abysmal retention rate combined with poor sales, I'd guess F2P is the only thing that could possibly save Wildstar at this point.

• simmihisimmihi Member UncommonPosts: 709
    No idea if it would change anything, but the game is not for me. I bet that for others too it's not the raiding, as many people believe - I'm actually looking for a game that has decent raiding. Wildstar... meh, it's only the visuals - cartoony and "heavy", too much color, gets me tired really quick, especially if you add the combat which looks like someone playing with a lot of flashlights in front of my eyes. The model change won't do anything for me, as I would not play this one even if I would be paid to do it.
  • mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    Originally posted by Xarko

MMOs only really get one chance. Eighter your game has good core gameplay at launch or it hasnt. People wont come back no matter what they change at this point. 

Fortunately this game made it clear right in the beta, at least for most people.

I wouldn't go that far.  There are a couple of games that changed things and turned things around.  They never became huge, but SWTOR and Star Trek both did a lot to improve things, and were rewarded.  Conan is also an example.  

I self identify as a monkey.

• zaberfangxzaberfangx Member UncommonPosts: 1,796
    Gw2 model is not going to work for wildstar, people forget millions people have the game will not push sales trying bring back the old people then the new. F2P with a sub option seem there better chance with a light cash shop, but thats only they fix a lot gated problem in the game must be this elite to go here just drive people away more then being in people.
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by Wizardry

As poster 2 already said ...too late.It is not even about that,it is about the whole design of the game,imo is was a cheap budget design,one that with marketing might show some early success but would fail eventually with no long term staying power.

I do not like cartoony graphics,especially cheap looking ones.It ruins every possible visual in the game and guess what ,this is 3d VIDEO gaming,not the era of muds.Even your housing is weaker when it does not look good,items don't looks good,effects don't look good basically nothing looks good.So then we always hear "well game play matters more",wrong ,the ENTIRE game matters especially since 99% of the games are all the same,so you can't use the argument that game matters more when every other game is doing the same thing,with linear game play and tons of hand holding.

It is really simple,they went for a budget design,that is always going to be a crap shoot.They should be happy theior marketing made them some money,but judging how every game for the last 7 years has died off quickly after a few months,they should not be surprised their game did as well.

You want staying power,you need to put in the effort and cost otherwise expect in and out player base gaming.

Well, if you did implement it with a large expansion it could still work.

It is not really the money you put in that have the staying power (Tabula Rasa and WAR kinda proved that), what you need is to make the game more fun.

The graphics do look a bit cheap but if gameplay improved I think most people could live with that.

Just slapping B2P or F2P on the game in it's current shape would fail. And the point of B2P isto get in some boxes anyways so making the change together with an expansion makes sense.

• kartanakartana Member UncommonPosts: 148

B2P maybe but not at full price! Who would buy it for more than $20? IMHO it's F2P or unplug.

And I even think a "it will be F2P in August" won't bring enough players. It should be "you can play it for free, NOW" to bring all the attention needed to revive this game.

• EponyxDamorEponyxDamor Member RarePosts: 749

I just don't see an "expansion" in the cards for Wildstar.

It takes them several months to put out a few new small zones and a few daily quests. The amount of time it'd take Carbine to produce something worth a another box price of $30-60 is far too long, not to mention that's on top of a current subscription cost for current players. On average, each drop has cost about $40 each for continuous subscribers. Heck, it's been a year already, and we're only just now at Drop 5, when the original plan was to be at Drop 11 or 12.

• NasaNasa Member UncommonPosts: 739
    I dont think any business model change would help. Too few players find this game entertaining enough to use time on.
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    WS has the air of fun and silly game that's treated by the Devs like it's serious and deep.  Just make it more fun and silly and b2p.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• svandysvandy Member UncommonPosts: 277

I recently started getting back into WS and I am glad I did, and then the financial report came out and I am worried... hopefully they can turn it around, it really, truly is a great game that I feel like too many players are just writing off because of themepark overload. The problem with Wildstar is that it did what WoW did (refine everything), but didn't really add anything new to the genre. So I think most people wrote it off.

That said, I played shortly after launch and even then, the cities were dead. Nowadays the cities are packed with people, and I see tons of posts on reddit about "returning players," which is making me wonder if there is a new wave of people coming back to the game. I certainly hope so, the game is really good and doesnt deserve to die, and I certainly don't want to see the devs without a job either.

Please visit my youtube channel for some H1Z1/DayZ casual roleplay videos!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrQoK5VZlwBBzpsksmXtjMQ

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by Wizardry

Typical comment from SWTOR forums back in 2012. It is far from too late for this title, it will rebound like others imo. 

The cartoony looks have nothing to do with popularity of a title, WoW has shown this. I understand if folks don't like it, but the gameplay offsets any of this. 

Staying power has nothing to do with price, it all depends on the design and execution. SWTOR cost more than $150 to produce and almost folded until changes were made.

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.