Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

World of Warcraft: Being Leeeeeeeeeeeeeroy Jenkins for a Decade

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

World of Warcraft is celebrating a fantastic cultural phenomenon today by remembering everyone's favorite charge into battle moment: Leeeeeeeeeeeeeroy Jenkins! It was such a brilliantly funny moment that perfectly captured the grace and strategy of WoW raiding that Blizzard even named a pair of achievements after the erstwhile player (both classic and modern versions) after the erstwhile player. Those finishing the achievement are granted the "Jenkins" title.

Check out the video below to see how it all went down.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Classic! A move that will live in mmorpg infamy. 

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• JakeSimJakeSim Member RarePosts: 883
    Let's be honest. Looking at this vid again...it's definitely staged.

Please come check out my stream. All the love is appreciated! 

TWITCH: @JakeSimTV
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    The guild admitted that it was staged but that it was a recreation of a true guild run. The point is that it's immortalized in game history and the larger MMO space as a typically funny and/or stupid player that wipes the raid.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699

I didn't know anyone still talked about this, let alone still finds it funny.

Do they still tell Chuck Norris jokes in WoW too?

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by dave6660

What? You are saying once you find something funny you can't ever find it funny again?

The Leroy Jenkins video is somewhat of a Legend in gaming and even quest related in WoW. 

Was there a shelf life on Chuck Norris jokes? This has nothing in particular to do with WoW, they are told in other games and other forms of entertainment. 

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• hyjaxxhyjaxx Member Posts: 10
    While this was funny the "moar dots now" onyxia video is hands down the best!
    Originally posted by Amjoco

What? You are saying once you find something funny you can't ever find it funny again?

The Leroy Jenkins video is somewhat of a Legend in gaming and even quest related in WoW. 

Was there a shelf life on Chuck Norris jokes? This has nothing in particular to do with WoW, they are told in other games and other forms of entertainment. 

After you're told the same joke 2000 times, do you still laugh?

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,180
    Originally posted by hyjaxx

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yKqKg6DfTY

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• achesomaachesoma Member RarePosts: 1,726

Agreed.  It just lacks that household name appeal like Leroy Jenkins does. 

Preaching Pantheon to People at PAX  PAX East 2018 Day 4 - YouTube
  • MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988
    My avatar is my AKC registered Alaskan Malamute named Scheerbaum's Crosby P. Jenkins.
  • nbtscannbtscan Member UncommonPosts: 862

I've never seen a Chuck Norris joke outside of WoW.

• GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,470

Someone's too cool for school.

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006
    Can we still get the achievement? I'd probably get lost trying to find the hatchery.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• HeafstaggHeafstagg Member UncommonPosts: 172
    Man there's some killjoy's in this thread.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

Worked for Les Dawson, its not the joke really, its how you tell it image

• ShodanasShodanas Member RarePosts: 1,933
    Almost 10 years later and i still haven't figured out how on Earth did the Abduhl guy came up with that 33.33 repeating (?!) percentage. 
  • Quazal.AQuazal.A Member UncommonPosts: 859
    Originally posted by Shodanas
    Almost 10 years later and i still haven't figured out how on Earth did the Abduhl guy came up with that 33.33 repeating (?!) percentage. 

cant be 100% sure but i think it was a take on Data from star trek as he was always giving comments like you know "Capt we have a 85.3% chance of suriving"

and as for the haters in this thread, how many things have you done in game that have become a hit outside of gaming.. the whole "leeroy jenkins" is not just a mmo thing its a term that has been utilised for any dumb-ass situation.

So give up with the hating, yes we know its old news, but still captured the moment well , personally what would be epic is if Blizz managed to get the original group together for the anniversary of the original to recreate it :)

This post is all my opinion, but I welcome debate on anything i have put, however, personal slander / name calling belongs in game where of course you're welcome to call me names im often found lounging about in EvE online.
    Use this code for 21days trial in eve online https://secure.eveonline.com/trial/?invc=d385aff2-794a-44a4-96f1-3967ccf6d720&action=buddy

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130

Says the guys with using an avatar of Johnny Depp from Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas....... the irony is almost palpable.

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• MadatanMadatan Member UncommonPosts: 182

You are the guy that stands in a group at a party; everyone is laughing except you because you are trying to explain how lame that joke was and how much funnier your newly created joke about spinach and random glue accidents is.

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607
    Originally posted by Shodanas

Since it was a spoof re-enactment, it was probably a joke about how ridiculously data driven some raiders are.

While I can say I've never experienced a full on Leeroy Jenkins moment during a raid/dungeon, I have had the ever common experience of someone flinging some AoE in the wrong direction and bringing a whole room full of badness down on us at once in "tiptoe and pull" situations...

There was this other case in DDO in a PUG where a guy just started running around in the dungeon, setting off like a dozen poison traps.  Must've been high or something.

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006
    No chickens were harmed in the making of this video.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• HiawathaHiawatha Member UncommonPosts: 11
    Originally posted by Akulas
    No chickens were harmed in the making of this video.

Yet ALL Raid participants WERE...    ;-)

Originally posted by CrazKanuk

Says the guys with using an avatar of Johnny Depp from Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas....... the irony is almost palpable.

It's not Johnny Depp, it's Benicio del Toro, get your facts straight.

-- Herman Melville

• KryzizKryziz Member UncommonPosts: 127
    Originally posted by achesoma

Agreed.  It just lacks that household name appeal like Leroy Jenkins does. 

There was another one, where this guy (hunter) was calling out this girl (druid) on vent/ts. He lost his shit, and  it was just crazy enough to not be fake or staged.

He said something along the lines of "You're not a druid they are a proud group."  He just kept cutting her down, and she took it like a champ. Lost his mind every now and again, with a crazy squealing sound, when he couldn't get the response he wanted from her.