Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for an open sandboxish game with open pvp and looting.

DankMcNastyDankMcNasty Member Posts: 11
Hey guys I just built a new gaming rig and I am excited to try all these new mmo games i've been missing out on for the past 10 years. A lot of these mmo's I have tried have just been like cookie cutter versions of wow to me and I hate wow. Two games that I absolutely loved until they were destroyed basically by time were Ultima Online (pre EA)  and Guild Wars 1 (which I would still play but unfortunately there is no community). I would settle for any new game that resembles either one of these or both. And before anyone suggests yes I have tried guild wars 2 not for me again too wowish I was really disappointed.

Comments

• ArChWindArChWind Member UncommonPosts: 1,340

Originally posted by DankMcNasty
    Hey guys I just built a new gaming rig and I am excited to try all these new mmo games i've been missing out on for the past 10 years. A lot of these mmo's I have tried have just been like cookie cutter versions of wow to me and I hate wow. Two games that I absolutely loved until they were destroyed basically by time were Ultima Online (pre EA)  and Guild Wars 1 (which I would still play but unfortunately there is no community). I would settle for any new game that resembles either one of these or both. And before anyone suggests yes I have tried guild wars 2 not for me again too wowish I was really disappointed.
    Darkfall
    ArChWind — MMORPG.com Forums

If you are interested in making a MMO maybe visit my page to get a free open source engine.
  • kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759
    Originally posted by ArChWind

Darkfall

Pretty much this if you're cool with twitch combat. Otherwise Gloria Victus, still in alpha, is also another good choice though they arent settled 100% on the looting yet. Theres some debate between full loot and partial loot.

If you're looking for something non-twitch with more of a traditional tab target type of combat then Archage is unfortunately probably your best choice for that.

• DankMcNastyDankMcNasty Member Posts: 11

Darkfall

Is the player base good in this game I was gonna try it but wanted to make sure this was all everyone said it was before i spent money on it. I had heard about the servers being dead or very low activity.

Originally posted by kaiser3282

Darkfall

Pretty much this if you're cool with twitch combat. Otherwise Gloria Victus, still in alpha, is also another good choice though they arent settled 100% on the looting yet. Theres some debate between full loot and partial loot.

If you're looking for something non-twitch with more of a traditional tab target type of combat then Archage is unfortunately probably your best choice for that.

What is twitch combat? Also I tried archage for a few days actually and again just seemed like wow with some new features.. I'd be willing to give it another shot if anyone could gaurantee that the mundane early game gets 1000% better. I will check out Gloria Victus though I've never heard of that.

• ArChWindArChWind Member UncommonPosts: 1,340

Originally posted by ArChWind   Originally posted by DankMcNasty Hey guys I just built a new gaming rig and I am excited to try all these new mmo games i've been missing out on for the past 10 years. A lot of these mmo's I have tried have just been like cookie cutter versions of wow to me and I hate wow. Two games that I absolutely loved until they were destroyed basically by time were Ultima Online (pre EA)  and Guild Wars 1 (which I would still play but unfortunately there is no community). I would settle for any new game that resembles either one of these or both. And before anyone suggests yes I have tried guild wars 2 not for me again too wowish I was really disappointed. Darkfall  Is the player base good in this game I was gonna try it but wanted to make sure this was all everyone said it was before i spent money on it. I had heard about the servers being dead or very low activity. Originally posted by kaiser3282 Originally posted by ArChWind   Originally posted by DankMcNasty Hey guys I just built a new gaming rig and I am excited to try all these new mmo games i've been missing out on for the past 10 years. A lot of these mmo's I have tried have just been like cookie cutter versions of wow to me and I hate wow. Two games that I absolutely loved until they were destroyed basically by time were Ultima Online (pre EA)  and Guild Wars 1 (which I would still play but unfortunately there is no community). I would settle for any new game that resembles either one of these or both. And before anyone suggests yes I have tried guild wars 2 not for me again too wowish I was really disappointed.
    Darkfall  
    Pretty much this if you're cool with twitch combat. Otherwise Gloria Victus, still in alpha, is also another good choice though they arent settled 100% on the looting yet. Theres some debate between full loot and partial loot. If you're looking for something non-twitch with more of a traditional tab target type of combat then Archage is unfortunately probably your best choice for that.
    What is twitch combat? Also I tried archage for a few days actually and again just seemed like wow with some new features.. I'd be willing to give it another shot if anyone could gaurantee that the mundane early game gets 1000% better. I will check out Gloria Victus though I've never heard of that. 

DF does not have a heavy population but the game world and environment you described fits DF to a tee. It only cost like 10 bucks so it isn't going to bankrupt peeps to give it a whirl.

ArChWind — MMORPG.com Forums

If you are interested in making a MMO maybe visit my page to get a free open source engine.
    Yea one of the things that killed gw 1 for me is that the population dropped to nothing it's also the reason I can't play on some of the special ultima online servers even though they have the original build for the most part I am kind of heavy on the player aspect of pvp. Is it a decent amount of people or is it somewhat baron also out of curiosity can you steal from other players in df?
  • kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759

Darkfall

Is the player base good in this game I was gonna try it but wanted to make sure this was all everyone said it was before i spent money on it. I had heard about the servers being dead or very low activity.

Originally posted by kaiser3282

Darkfall

Twitch is aiming skill based combat, kind of like an FPS. No locking onto targets and just automatically hiting them, you have to be accurate, especially with ranged weapons and spell. As a result, gear only has a minor impact and winning is more heavily based on your own twitch skills over the other player.

You'll see people who are just awesome at the game run around in newbie gear and just wreck people with high end gear and take all their stuff or take on groups of people themselves while taking hardly any damage just because they outplay them that much.

Unfortunately yeah the population has dropped from what it used to be, although there is currently a possible relaunching of the original game in the works (which quite a few people feel was a better game in several ways, especially the combat). If that happens the relaunch will likely be quite well populated for awhile.

Gloria Victus is also low pop right now, but its also still in pre-alpha state. NDA was just removed recently and pop has picked up somewhat and we expect it to grow quite a bit over the next few months.

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614

EVE Online and Darkfall.

EVE: anything goes in that game, only hacking/exploiting and severe abuse (like racial abuse) are not tolerated. Open PVP. EVE is Sci-fi.

Darkfall if you actually want a action figure running around and ride mounts in a medieval/fantasy setting.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

Eve is definitely a game i wanted to like so much but for whatever reason I just could never get into it. I think mabye beacuse it felt like a real time strategy game a lot of the time. I guess the general consensus seems to be darkfall all around it's always what I hear when I ask this question was hoping I might find something with a bigger community as I like big crowds but i'll give it a shot it's 15 bucks for a month.
  • lqw6843128lqw6843128 Member UncommonPosts: 40
    Wurm Online
  • ozmonoozmono Member UncommonPosts: 1,211
    Wurm Online, Mortal Online, Darkfall, Xsyon are the more classical games with what you are looking for. I'm sure I'm forgetting something too. For differing reasons I'm not playing any at the moment but I have high hopes for Tree of Life which will be released on steam this month.
  • nolfnolf Member UncommonPosts: 869

I don't play AA anymore (I won't go into my issues with the game, they are loudly discussed just about everywhere by a mass of discontented players), but other than the full loot thing, it sounds like it'd be right up your alley.

Don't let the quest chain fool you.  It ain't wow, that is just how they get the game to hold your hand as you get further into the meat of the game.  It's purely optional, you don't have to do it.  I would recommend you do for the gear help and the gobs of XP.  But if you really hate that kind of thing, it doesn't have to be done.

But if AA seemed like WoW, you didn't give it it's fair shake, and no game style that you're looking for is going to hook you before the end game, so stick with them.

I really hope that *insert game name here* will be the first game to ever live up to all of its pre-release promises, maintain a manageable hype level and have a clean release. Just don't expect me to hold my breath.

• sanshi44sanshi44 Member UncommonPosts: 1,187
    Pathfinder online has open world PvP, seems sandboxy with guild own cities/allainces and what not havant gotten to far into the game yet, there also player looting just backpack looting though it seems atm but discussion on having equipment drop to i beleive so that might happen down the road. Has alot of relearning to do/figuring things out :P its currently in early enrollment so not finished yet but still rather decent :)
  • kenpokillerkenpokiller Member UncommonPosts: 321

DAS TAL

Linkrealm: Rises like a phoenix

Shards online

Shroud of the Avatar

Runescape

wurm online 
    ultima online 
    mortal online 
    darkfall unholy wars
    shadowbane 
    asherons call
    diablo 2 (hardcore) - not too many players played hardcore
    path of exile (hardcore) - while its possible, not many players choose to follow this path
    dayz 
    the warz 
    planetside -
    fallout2238/fonline2/fonline:reloaded 
    earthrise 
    face of mankind -
    salem/haven and hearth 
    the repopulation 
    total influence 
    albion online - not open yet
    eve online - not the kind of full loot im looking for, although a fun game
    shores of hazeron 
    nether - i dont meet the 64 bit system requirement to launch the game
    elderlands 
    life is feudal - it hits the nail on the head. unfortunately a lot of the game mechanics, mainly combat, look sub par
    gloria victis 
    hellmoo/armageddon mud/infernoMOO 
    dark age of camelot -
    neocron 2 
    7 days to die 

Sway all day, butterfly flaps all the way!

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Archeage is wort a try, it is a bit too much p2win and more of a hybrid than actual sandbox but it still is worth a try.

Pathfinder might also be worth a try but right now it is in paid alpha state so it is very basic, buggy and far from good looking. It also have a pertty lousy budget.

The best thing would probably be to wait for Crowfall, it seems to be just what you are looking for.

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476
    H1Z1.
    " Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
    Welp I was able to try about 2 of the games suggested this weekend I really like everything on mortal online but I think I am probably more partial to tabbed style pvp as opposed to the other style just because I prefer the emphasis to be more on timing and skill selection and not on aiming. Other than that I like the freedom in the game. I didn't get a chance to try darkfall but seeing as they don't use tabbed fighting in that game either I think that might be the same issue for me. Do any of these used the tabbed fighting style and have similar style and freedom to those games?
  • SuntouchedSuntouched Member CommonPosts: 50

Rust in a fps sandbox pvp looting, building, raiding etc game. its in Alpha atm but still theres lots of fun to be had in the game. The biggest issue with the game is the hacking but that might not be an issue anymore. Might be worth a try.

Another game worth keeping an eye on is Grav, its very sandboxy and looks great, dont know if theres a pvp server yet, but its alot of fun and looks really cool.

• DarkEvilHatredDarkEvilHatred Member UncommonPosts: 229
    Wurm Online for sure!