Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I would like to return to mmorpg sub-genre but need to be brought up to speed

Z3R01Z3R01 Member UncommonPosts: 2,425

I used to post on this site quite a bit but around 2012 me and the mmo genre kind of fell out.

So three plus years later im back and im completely clueless to what games are popular now and whats coming. I poked my head in like a year ago to ask about Destiny and boy was that a mistake. That game sent me screaming right back to my Steam backlog. 

Ok so lets try this.

Give me a list of three mmos to try now and maybe two that are up and coming that i should read up on. That should get me in the swing of things again. 

Im really just trying to plug myself back in to the genre and this community, when i left this was one of the most interesting communities to chat it up with.  And honestly when i was into mmos video games felt much more like a hobby than they do now on steam going through a backlog like im checking off games on a shopping list. 

Playing: Nothing

Looking forward to: Nothing 

Comments

• JakeSimJakeSim Member RarePosts: 883

In my opinion;

Current MMOs:

Elder Scrolls Online

Final Fantasy XIV

Guild Wars 2

TERA

Star Wars The Old Republic

The Secret World

Marvel Heroes (if you want to consider it an MMO)

upcoming im not too sure but look into:

Crowfall

Camelot Unchained

Albion

Cabal 2

there's one more im forgetting the name of (has this whole God system)

Please come check out my stream. All the love is appreciated! 

TWITCH: @JakeSimTV
  • wandericawanderica Member UncommonPosts: 370

Well, as for current, there's a few.  Honestly, nothing really tickles my fancy at the moment.  Maybe I've just gotten old, but there are a few popular ones ATM.

ESO, despite a somewhat rocky start is probably doing the best. I hear it's a lot better than it was at launch, and being B2P, it's picked up a pretty large following. Certainly worth checking out.

FFXIV is also doing quite well, and will be launching its first expansion very soon. Still subscription though, if that's a turn off for you.  Still though, it's a quality MMO, and worth a shot if good story and traditional themepark MMOs are your thing.

Tera might also be worth a look right now.  It just launched on Steam and just launched a new class (Gunner), so there are a lot of people running around the zones ATM.  

As for the up-and-comers, Crowfall takes the cake on this site.  I'll leave it for someone else to discuss that game though, as I care nothing for it, and can provide nothing beyond its PvP focus.

Others worth noting are Shroud of the Avatar, and Camelot Unchained.  These are both Kickstarter projects that were funded and currently mid-development.  CU should start beta 1 in August, and SotA is still deep into Alpha.  They are touted as the "spiritual successors" to Ultima Online and DAoC respectively, so if that old school MMO feel with a shiny new skin is something you'd like to see, then keep an eye on these.

Hope that helps.  Enjoy whatever game you decide.

p.s. Oh.  I left out WoW for obvious reasons.  It's still the giant, but I figured if that's what you wanted to play, then you wouldn't need MMORPG.com to tell you about it.

• immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610
    Originally posted by Z3R01

I used to post on this site quite a bit but around 2012 me and the mmo genre kind of fell out.

Why did you fall out with them? I don't want to recommend something pre 2012 if it made you fall out with it.

IMO ESO is the best MMORPG on the market.

• Z3R01Z3R01 Member UncommonPosts: 2,425
    Originally posted by Tidel

In my opinion;

Current MMOs:

Elder Scrolls Online

Final Fantasy XIV

Guild Wars 2

TERA

Star Wars The Old Republic

The Secret World

Marvel Heroes (if you want to consider it an MMO)

upcoming im not too sure but look into:

Crowfall

Camelot Unchained

Albion

Cabal 2

there's one more im forgetting the name of (has this whole God system)

I'm going to follow Crowfall, Camelot and Albion. I think im going to give Elder Scrolls a try i still have my GW2 on my desktop lol so i can jump into that if enough has changed. 

thanks

Originally posted by immodium

Why did you fall out with them? I don't want to recommend something pre 2012 if it made you fall out with it.

IMO ESO is the best MMORPG on the market.

Rift and Swtor did it mostly. those were big games for me that either released in a poor state (swtor) or ended up being changed in a way i didnt appreciate (rift). 

Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picard
    World of Warcraft (free up to level 20), GW2 (buy to play), and for science fiction, SW:TOR.

I have accounts in GW2, Swtor, Rift, Lotro, Eve & Secret World i can go back to any if they've gotten better.

I have my eye on Elder Scrolls, Neverwinter and a couple games right now.

WHile waiting for this thread to update i've been reading through the previews and reviews on this site. 

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    World of Warcraft (free up to level 20), GW2 (buy to play), and for science fiction, SW:TOR.

I have accounts in GW2, Swtor, Rift, Lotro, Eve & Secret World i can go back to any if they've gotten better.

WHile waiting for this thread to update i've been reading through the previews and reviews on this site. 

Both ESO and Neverwinter are worth checking out. I play both of them from time to time. (Along with TSW and SWTOR)

I wouldn't focus on endgame content on Neverwinter at the moment though, since module 6 messed things up badly enough for the devs to come out and apologize for their mistakes (and we all know how much devs like doing that).

The leveling process is still fun though, especially if you haven't played it yet. And hopefully they'll have things figured out by the time you get to max level.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

GW2 will have an expansion soon, you can wait until it releases so you get more new content. They do have added 3 more new zones and a load of fractals since launch but you might as well wait a little longer.

TOR have added stuff but it still plays out pretty much the same.

RIFTs direction isn't one I like personally butyou should talk to a current Rift player there.

LOTRO and Eve are both aging and I can't say they become better since 2012.

TSW has not added that much new stuff, I think it is partly a problem with Funcoms engine that makes adding new content more work than in most other games and partly because Funcom has a rather low budget for stuff like this.

Neverwinter just annoyed me (old FR fan and D&D player), to me it seems that the upcomming multiplayer game "Legends of the swordcoast" will be a far more interesting take on Faerun. The action combat where you can't move while doing most of your attacks just feel wrong.

ESO is worth a look though, particualrly if you aren't a huge fan of the Elder scrolls games (the hardcore fans tend to be upset since the MMOs is rather different.

I think you should try out TERA, it is very different and have pretty good combat. The quests are pretty boring though but it is a game worth trying anyways.

Final fantasy XIV is also worth a look, since they re-release it the game have moved in a pretty different direction.