Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Are EQ 1/2 fans hyped about EQN?

Comments

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914

been playin EQ 1 and 2 since there  launches .. Voted No  .. as what they have shown so far does not look or feel like an Everquest game for me ..

would take a lot of changes from the current direction they are taking to change my mind..

• Fractal_AnalogyFractal_Analogy Member UncommonPosts: 350
    Originally posted by Aelious
    Rosie a know-nothing that should be fired?

Bahahahaha!

No seriously, the art lead on almost every DGC title is a know-nothing? We have reached epicness here.

The lady is a mouthpiece and doesn't produce. How can you lead anyone, when you don't produce anything yourself? Right?

Instead, zero effort herself. She wants others to do the leg work for her. I am sure that is what he & others are pointing at. So no need to laugh at people, makes you look ignorant.

Originally posted by Mendel
    Rydeson

If you share Suig's sentiments and don't trust what information DGC is or has released I totally get that and things make more sense. You can't expect myself or anyone else that has followed EQN to give information on things that haven't been talked about by the devs.

Combining distrust of the only knowledgable source and expectation of Murphy's Law is going to have a great effect on how you view anytging. I mean my life motto is hope for the best and prepare for the worst. Completely understandable. In the future just expect that if I do respond to your posts, unless it's opinion based of course, that it's not necessarily for you but spectators.

I've heard and seen the same sources as you have, maybe not as many.  I pretty much gave up on that.  I would be very hesitant to call these declarations as 'information' and a 'knowledgable (sic) source'.  At best, the developers have outlined promises of desired game features, not solid, indisputable deliverable facts.  About the only fact that most of the community can agree on is that on day n at event e1, dev x said 'y'.  Calling 'y' an actual fact rather than a promise or goal or marketing hype pushes many people's credibility limits.  It becomes a matter of trust, some trust that 'y' is a fact, others do not.  Trust is built over time, and, for many, the developers in question have been found to be untrustworthy, for whatever reason.

That is why I think DGC's decision to shut down the forums and essentially go 'silent' on EQ:N is a beginning effort to heal this divide and rebuild trust to a universal level.  They will take this time to develop a strategy and plan for future project related announcements.  We may see them step away from all previous promises that have been made, and maybe even a name change to try to step away from older information, opinions, rumors and misinformation.  If you search this site for 'EQ:N' you will see the sheer number of threads that are already in existence, each discussing aspects of the communities impressions of this project, and all the news (and pseudo-news) concerning this project.  This silent mode will probably last until they figure out which way they want to proceed, and that will be a way that does the least harm to their product, their company, and the reputations of both.

At this point, I really expect that the next official announcement from DGC will be the first step in re-booting the project, and re-educating the community.  It will not surprise me at all to see a name change for this project, maybe even dropping the 'Everquest' brand in favor of something else, maybe a 'new' IP.

How this project proceeds from here is anyone's guess.  Any way they choose to proceed, we're in for an interesting time.

I agree with this for the most part other than the end portion.  I don't think DGC has any reason to change course on the EverQuest portion of EQN.  If they lose people because of the connection I don't see how they would hope to keep them anyways since another "EverQuest" wouldn't be more than a prototype.  Plus you have the added cost of reevaluating the world assets (that was said to be seeded and worked on prior to Live '13) as well as the lore.  I guess anything is possible it just wouldn't make sense to me.

Regarding "known information", that's all I've tried to provide and be careful about when I inject my own personal stances.  I get that the sources may not be trusted but it's literally the only source that would know.  Right now, EQN is being played/tested inside the walls of DGC while us out here are arguing about how it will turn out or what state it's in.  There are bits and pieces that arguments can be made from, using "official" sources.  To me that is far more relevant than the opinion of someone using their "experience" in playing MMOs to say why things behind closed doors are happening.

Just so you know, there is no EQn server inside SOE/Daybreak. Subsequently, any and all EQn that exists, does so on Landmark servers. You truly have misplaced your faith in how far along this project is.

Many people here are disgruntled, because we know first hand the lies Smedley indirectly spews. Landmark is a test bed and EQn is vaporware. Those are two facts nobody can refute, not even Smedley. Not everyone cares about a NDA.

• Cramit845Cramit845 Member UncommonPosts: 395
    I find it interesting that so far no one has voted for more content of the game they think EQN turned it's back on, indicating that those voting no longer play the game they think EQN should have emulated...

That would be because EQ now is a shadow of what it once was.  Maybe folks should be saying, " More content for the 1999 version of EQ" or "More content for the Velious/kunark version of EQ" or "More content for the P99 version of EQ" and I think you would get more responses that way.  These days thats how eq is populated either progression servers or emulated projects.  It's great just to be able to say P99 now without getting the ban hammer.

• KnyttaKnytta Member UncommonPosts: 414

I am more and more getting to the conclusion that the best thing from a Business/Marketing point for DBG would be to drop EQN as soon as possible move everything that has been done on EQN to LM and when its done publish it as Landmark.

They should also then finally say "No we are never going to do any Everquest again" as they will never be able to do something that the majority of oldtimers would accept. And as Smedley indirectly says "They are not the target audience anymore".

The rest of us would have a pretty fun game to look forward to.

Chi puo dir com'egli arde é in picciol fuoco.

He who can describe the flame does not burn.

Petrarch

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    Knytta

I think when all is said and done the realization that many causes can have the same effect will be apartent. EQN can be every bit an EverQuest title as it's two predecessors. I say "can" be because this concept still requires DGC to make certain decisions and I don't mean changing the core mechanics.

The ball is in DGC's court but they can do it. We'll see.
  • UNH0LYEV1LUNH0LYEV1L Member UncommonPosts: 571
    Originally posted by ArtificeVenatus

Nope.

• Action Combat. Those were the only 2 words I needed to hear.

• After that, their concept of every character can collect every class skill set, just really does not do it.

• Their cartoonish graphics, rather than at least attempting more realism, just adds to the list of why to not bother.

The only really interesting point EQN really seems to have, is the AI as to NPC encounters having "motivations," and so far that sounds like just a nice concept. I am truly surprised that was not a point they made certain we have not only heard of, but also actually got to see in action by now.

Since it came up... The only MMORPG I am looking forward to at the moment is Pantheon. Personally, if Vanguard was still up and running right now, I would be playing it. It is even very likely, I would not have created an account on MMORPG.com here. As far as Brad McQuaid goes, based on both Everquest 1 and Vanguard, he seems to be the only one likely to develop an MMORPG I will be able to spend at least a few years in once again. I mean reality check, if Pantheon falls through, what else is there to look forward to considering what is available and on the horizon? At that point, then McQuaid can be written off given future endeavors, and I am certain he knows that would be the case. Add to that, if Pantheon is successful, then maybe the genre will finally start heading in a better direction again. Sure, Vanguard had it's issues, but to hold one mistake against the guy is really arrogant. People act as though his mistake was killing their kids or pets or something. I would be more likely to still be pissed at whoever my mohel was image

So true ughhhhhhh action combat. Dev's keep getting further and further away from MMORPG.

• KnyttaKnytta Member UncommonPosts: 414
    Knytta

I think when all is said and done the realization that many causes can have the same effect will be apartent. EQN can be every bit an EverQuest title as it's two predecessors. I say "can" be because this concept still requires DGC to make certain decisions and I don't mean changing the core mechanics.

The ball is in DGC's court but they can do it. We'll see.

I hope you are right but what I am saying is that EQN will have a huge negative crowd  trying to pull it down regardless how good it is. This is not about how good EQN is or may be this is peoples youth something they remember fondly, NOTHING can be that good again, nothing.

Chi puo dir com'egli arde é in picciol fuoco.

He who can describe the flame does not burn.

Petrarch

I'd argue action combat is MORE RPG than tab. You have a more active role controlling your character.
    Knytta

Understood and I agree. I hold out hope however that those who are driven more by sentiment can still see a good MMO if it truly is good. If not and it's stil good, players will be many. All new MMOs get attention. If EQN is really next gen Norrath will gather a large community with, or without some "classic" fans. It is their choice to play or not play.
  • apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    yep, cant wait to play it

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• RogoshRogosh Member UncommonPosts: 208
    I would be more excited if they would sell the eq name to someone who actually wants to make a succesor to EQ1 not another gd wow clone.

"Its better to look ugly and win than pretty and lose"

/facepalm
  • AlleinAllein Member RarePosts: 2,139
    Originally posted by Fractal_Analogy

Just so you know, there is no EQn server inside SOE/Daybreak. Subsequently, any and all EQn that exists, does so on Landmark servers. You truly have misplaced your faith in how far along this project is.

Many people here are disgruntled, because we know first hand the lies Smedley indirectly spews. Landmark is a test bed and EQn is vaporware. Those are two facts nobody can refute, not even Smedley. Not everyone cares about a NDA.

"If there are people that say it's vaporware, my answer to that is 'whatever'. That's kind of silly." - Smed

Apparently he can.

Why are you even wasting your time posting in this forum? Surely Pantheon that you foresee having 500k+ players paying $25/month has better things going on?

What I've learned is my understanding of what a "fact" is has been wrong this entire time.

• SiugSiug Member UncommonPosts: 1,257
    Originally posted by Allein

Why are you even wasting your time posting in this forum? Surely Pantheon that you foresee having 500k+ players paying $25/month has better things going on?

What I've learned is my understanding of what a "fact" is has been wrong this entire time.

So the thread is about EQ/EQ2 fans being hyped or not about EQN and then comes you saying who can post here or who cannot. What makes your opinion superior?

• tixylixtixylix Member UncommonPosts: 1,288
    No, it's not EverQuest and Landmark (which it'll be based on) was just crap and Smedley is and has always been clueless.
    Originally posted by Siug

So the thread is about EQ/EQ2 fans being hyped or not about EQN and then comes you saying who can post here or who cannot. What makes your opinion superior?

I don't care if this thread is about Cheesecake, this is a EQN forum.

Topic was started as a poll and intentional or not, flame bait. Lacks any context or focus.

If people said simply said "yep" "nope" instead of derailing into putting down the game this forum is dedicated to, I wouldn't say a word beyond "yep."

EQ & EQ2 have plenty of space of their own for those that seek such things. I don't go into the EQ2 forums and moan about how much a let down it was coming from EQ. Seems very pointless to me.

Also, I don't see where I'm acting superior or saying who can or can't post somewhere. Unless asking a honest question translates into that for you.

I don't get the point of some that come here simply to complain or talk trash. Especially when some of the things they say can be applied to games they are fans of just as easily if not more so. 

• JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321

In a word - No. I beta tested SWG, EQ2, and  Vanguard . No way I predict SOE to deliver a good product at launch after those 3 launches

I miss DAoC

• StoneRosesStoneRoses Member RarePosts: 1,779
    Originally posted by bingbongbros
    I was until they talked about combat and using the same stupid fucking system as GW2. I like having a lot of abilities to choose from and set up crazy combos. Not just 5 or 6 at a time.  I hate GW2, so I'll probably hate EQN.

Hating a VIDEO GAME! You missed the mark by a lot!

You get 5 Skills 3 Utilities 1 Elite!

Swapping weapons must be really hard for you!

You get more options as an Elementalist! 20 Skills 3 Utilities 1 Elite!

Lying on these boards seems pretty common around here!

Let's just keep throwing out numbers!

MMORPGs aren't easy, You're just too PRO!
  • SeariasSearias Member UncommonPosts: 743
    I wonder how much the founders pack for EQN will cost. I can only afford around $250 this time around.

<InvalidTag type="text/javascript" src="http://www.gamebreaker.tv/cce/e.js"></script><div class="cce_pane" content-slug="which-world-of-warcraft-villain-are-you" ctype="quiz" d="http://www.gamebreaker.tv"></div>;

• KoroshiyaKoroshiya Member UncommonPosts: 265

I was until they started this whole early access bullshit with landmark and started to realize they were having people PAY THEM to do their work for them.  Now, with them leaving SoE, Not knowing shit about Daybreaks investors, and the constant bs coming out of Smeds mouth like how far off the mark he was about H1Z1 being the spiritual successor to SWG I have all but given up.

He can say it's not vaporware all he wants, this is the same guy who promised a playable demo of some form last year and what we got was early access landmark.  I have run tired of the constant bs and rhetoric and the day they decide to cut the crap and begin to be honest with us is the day I might be interested in another Daybreak/SoE game.  It's the sad truth as I was such an EQ/EQ2 fanboy but the reality is I can only get told one thing, only to see them do another one so many times.  

“The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off , why should I. Light up the darkness” – Bob Marley

"If there are people that say it's vaporware, my answer to that is 'whatever'. That's kind of silly." - Smed

Apparently he can.

Apparently he can what ??? 

Did you notice how he dismissed the question instead, & did not outright answer it?

You are being fooled by a master of the lipservice. He avoided it and did not answer the question. Anyone can spot this, stop trolling me & playing games. I know more than you think.

Just outright ASK HIM!

Smedley will not answer, or he will have to truthfully say No. 

/eos

Apparently he can.

Apparently he can what ??? 

Did you notice how he dismissed the question instead, & did not outright answer it?

You are being fooled by a master of the lipservice. He avoided it and did not answer the question. Anyone can spot this, stop trolling me & playing games. I know more than you think.

Just outright ASK HIM!

Smedley will not answer, or he will have to truthfully say No. 

I don't have respect for the man or take anything he says as 100% honest, simply pointing out that you said he is unable to refute your claim, yet he did, be it not straight out "No fractal it isn't vaporware, but thanks for your insight." Call it avoiding, looked more like he didn't find the idea worth going into because it is "silly." When he is saying they are still working on it, that dismisses the whole vaporware concept instantly.

No trolling on my part all though "I know more than you think" might put you a bit closer to that term... Just outright say what you know lol.

"Guys listen to me, I know people that know people, they said it is all a lie and I'm here to save you all from the evil Smed and Co!"

/sigh

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

I don't have respect for the man or take anything he says as 100% honest, simply pointing out that you said he is unable to refute your claim, yet he did, be it not straight out "No fractal it isn't vaporware, but thanks for your insight." Call it avoiding, looked more like he didn't find the idea worth going into because it is "silly." When he is saying they are still working on it, that dismisses the whole vaporware concept instantly.

No trolling on my part all though "I know more than you think" might put you a bit closer to that term... Just outright say what you know lol.

"Guys listen to me, I know people that know people, they said it is all a lie and I'm here to save you all from the evil Smed and Co!"

/sigh

Look at just about any title that turned out to be vaporware and you will see developers who promised they are working on the title and it would release and wasn't going to be cancelled.

Point is that Smedley didn't refute the point, he made a comment that allowed readers to imply he did.  Also developers saying they are working on so ethic has historically not disprove vaporware claims.

I'm not claiming vaporware, just that you are not exactly correct in your claims.

Originally posted by Daffid011

Look at just about any title that turned out to be vaporware and you will see developers who promised they are working on the title and it would release and wasn't going to be cancelled.

Point is that Smedley didn't refute the point, he made a comment that allowed readers to imply he did.  Also developers saying they are working on so ethic has historically not disprove vaporware claims.

I'm not claiming vaporware, just that you are not exactly correct in your claims.

And around and around we go.

Guy in charge of the company says they are still making the game. Choosing to accept or disbelieve him and others on the team is up to the individual and beyond someone actually having insider info or being able to predict the future, we are all going on the same details.

Calling something vaporware or cancelled while still in development and not completely radio silent seems a bit silly to me as well. 

Vaporware probably means something a bit different to each of us, but to me, EQN has yet to reach what has become a very overused buzzword. From how some use it, anything not fully released would qualify and that defeats the purpose of the term for me.

If one is to accept that the current development cycle/project began ~2012 or so, they haven't even hit the average time of the typical cookie cutter mmo. Without factoring in all the new tech and features they are trying, their use of Landmark as a prolonged test bed, or other games that took a long time to release, yet still did.

ESO - 7 Years

Wildstar - 9 Years

Team Fortress 2 - 8 Years

FFXIV:ARR - ~7 Years if you count the first attempt

Take a look at a lot of the shorter development games like Rift, SWTOR, GW2, Aion, WAR, etc and the hit/miss ratio seems to go up. FFXIV was a flop so bad they had to go back and redo the game. several of the sub/B2P games went F2P and in WAR's case, closed down. Out of games that have taken longer, Wildstar seems to be the biggest let down to the public with ESO and FFXIV:ARR being popular even after making major changes.

If EQN takes 7+ years to release, oh well. If it flops, that's on Daybreak and I won't shed a tear. If it turns out to be worth the wait, awesome.

If it cancels and is added to the list of actual Vaporeware games that stopped development and have zero chance of releasing, oh well. Still won't shed a tear. Simply do not believe we are anywhere near that point. When the dev team is still showing/telling the community about development and the guy in charge flat out says they are still making it, disagreeing just to disagree seems pointless.

Everyone has the right to believe what they want, just find it odd that some actually believe a video game shown and said to be in development either isn't or won't finish. I'm not sure if there are some specific "facts" backing up this belief, but so far all I've seen is "I know stuff" or "I feel it in my gamer bones." I'll take someone actually involved with the project over some random internet psychic. Unless of course they give me winning lottery numbers for future drawings, then I'll have to rethink my stance...