Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMOS that are Classic Wow like.....

PaddyspubPaddyspub Member Posts: 104

..........anyone know of any hidden gems that mimic the epicness and coolness of Classic Wow.  To this day, still miss good ol Classic Wow and wish there was an official Blizz Classic Wow server, but since that will never happen, wondering if there are any lesser-known games that like that.   So far, only games that imo, are worth playing other than Wow of today is ESO and GW2. 

Thought A.A. was going to be the new Wow for me but it failed.......

Hope Black Desert will possibly be it.

Thanks for any info!

Tbe Repopulation will be what SWTOR shouldve been.

Comments

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

AA and Black Desert are so far removed from 2004 WOW that it would help if you explained what those hidden gems are that you are looking for.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Rift?

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• PaddyspubPaddyspub Member Posts: 104
    Ok, guess I mean something that gives a sense of discovery,  open world,  great gameplay.  I dunno, just looking for a good Wow Alternative.    Guess  I just really miss the old days of Wow.

Rift, no thanks, tried it a few years ago and didnt grab me.  Heard Trion really tarnished the game after going F2P.

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Originally posted by Paddyspub
    Rift, no thanks, tried it a few years ago and didnt grab me.  Heard Trion really tarnished the game after going F2P.

So subscribe. That's what I did. Same thing with SWTOR. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    GW2 has a great explorers feel to it, looks awesome, and has a good community.

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• hallucigenocidehallucigenocide Member RarePosts: 1,015

scratch that i see that you described what you was looking for.. 

anyway players have been chasing that feeling like forever it cant really be duplicated.. you only get 1 first time experience i'm afraid =/

I had fun once, it was terrible.

• TibernicuspaTibernicuspa Member UncommonPosts: 1,199

..........anyone know of any hidden gems that mimic the epicness and coolness of Classic Wow.  To this day, still miss good ol Classic Wow and wish there was an official Blizz Classic Wow server, but since that will never happen, wondering if there are any lesser-known games that like that.   So far, only games that imo, are worth playing other than Wow of today is ESO and GW2. 

Thought A.A. was going to be the new Wow for me but it failed.......

Hope Black Desert will possibly be it.

Thanks for any info!

Virtually every AAA MMORPG of the last 11 years is nearly identical to WoW.

In terms of epic scale... EverQuest and Vanguard are the only two that come to mind.

SWTOR === No thanks, tried it at launch and thought it was a stale, lifeless, dull overhyped piece of junk and a waste of the SW IP,  and def not now since it went F2P and with EA loving to nickle and dime players so badly.

Everquest === EQ1 is too dated, heard EQ2 wasnt at good as EQ1 and really just has better graphics.  Am def hoping EQNEXT can be something epic and leetsauce though.

Vanguard === Actually really wanted to try this one out, even if it had only 1000 players, but sad it got shutdown before I could give it a shot.  Looked interesting  though.  SOE loves shutting down their game.

SWG === Would try this one first over everything above on this list, but sadly EA didnt want 2 competing SW games and obvious SWG had more substance than style, unlike SWTOR.   Again, like Vanguard got shutdown before I had a chance to play it.

Wildstar === Did try it out, and liked some aspects of it like the graphics and animation and how huge the zones were but the combat got tiring and just didnt like the gameplay (started aching my hands).  Also the artwork was a bit to cartoony.  MIGHT give it a shot again if it was F2P though.   But dont see it happening.

Tera === Liked the game at first, no sure why I quit actually but did go back a year ago to find out most of my characters that were over lv5 needed to be renamed (guessin if you were inactive you lost the right to that pacticular name), after said no thanks due to that shady, lame tatic.

Warhammer === Also shutdown but was a buggy mess and just went downhill after that, didnt play it long either. Also with EA in charge, knew it wasnt going to be long lasting game.

Games that I hope turn out epic:

Tree of Saviour

Civ Online

Black Desert

EQNEXT

Star Citizen

• jdlamson75jdlamson75 Member UncommonPosts: 1,010

In every game I've played since WoW, I've been looking for that sense of "Holy Crap, This is Awesome!"; I've yet to experience it.  I remember back in the early days of my WoW Noobhood, I was playing a Night Elf, chilling in Astranaar, when a Tauren and an Undead came to pay a visit.  I thought that they were the two most badass-looking toons I'd ever seen, and said "Eff this, Horde it is."  I haven't had a moment like that since in a Themepark game.

The only game that ever captured something similar for me was Darkfall when I first started playing it; mainly because it was so different from WoW.  I don't know if I'll ever get that same feeling, but here's to hoping that you do.  And if you find it, LET ME KNOW, DAMMIT!!

• tharkthark Member UncommonPosts: 1,188

My thoughts regarding this is that you are chasing a Dream ...The feeling you felt 2004-2005 towards WoW will NEVER and can never be recaptured  in another game.

It's because at that time , 10 years ago , It was a game to be impressed about, just picture WoW the version released 2004 released today 2015, would it be successful ? Highly doubtful :) Right !!?

• alterfenixalterfenix Member UncommonPosts: 370
    Originally posted by Robokapp
    Originally posted by hallucigenocide

scratch that i see that you described what you was looking for.. 

anyway players have been chasing that feeling like forever it cant really be duplicated.. you only get 1 first time experience i'm afraid =/

Private shards capture it somewhat...which proves that the feeling is still there but not properly supported.

This really. In fact I'd say that vanilla/tbc blizzlikes are now populare more than ever.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

What was REALLY different in WoW back then vs. now?

Let's see...

1. Slow(er) leveling - far less XP for quests, to the point AoE farming was actually viable for a time

2. More rigid specs - tank/heal specs were terrible for doing quests, just killed everything way, way slower than a DPS spec, and no dual spec

3. Deeper progression - talent points every level, skills and skill ranks you had to buy, some skills trapped behind class specific quests, weapon skills to level

4. Slower travel - first mount wasn't until 40, no flying mounts, epic mount at 60 was very expensive

5. No LFG - Had to form a party for dungeons, had to actually run to the dungeon entrance to go in, but I think the summoning stones were there from the beginning, you just needed 3 people to summon (or a Warlock)

6. Group Quests & Elite mobs - some quests/mobs you just couldn't solo, had to find a group for

7. No battlegrounds - PvP was all open world, there were no Honor points to grind for PvP gear

8. More difficult dungeons - more CC required, tanks & healers had far fewer tools, more threat/aggro control and discipline was required

9. Attunements - some dungeons/raids required lengthy quest chains for keys to access or get to certain parts

10. Resistance gear - also had to build up secondary resistance sets for certain encounters

11. Gear disparity - gear was much more difficult to come by, crafting was a long, slow process, there were no points to farm to buy gear, you were 100% reliant on drops, some crafted gear, and DKP systems for raiding, etc. 

12. More large-size content - 10-20-40 person raiding

13. No phasing / merged servers

I'm sure I'm missing something big. The core game really hasn't changed all that much. It's still quest - dungeon - raid, and they added the PvP battle grounds and honor points systems pretty early on.  

Ya, I mean Wow is still a good game, but feel it is now the "Mcdonalds" of MMOS, and will prob always miss the 'ol days when it felt more "real" but that may be due more to nostalgia than anything but I digress.  I Would still pay Blizz an extra $15 a month to play an official "Classic" server.

• DeadlyneDeadlyne Member UncommonPosts: 232
    I really don't agree with this you only get that feeling one time thing.  Maybe I'm just different.  I had that feeling with Everquest, WoW and Vanguard.  It may not have been an identical feeling but it was basically the same thing.  It has everything to do with the game and very little to do with rose colored glasses.  I play everything pretty much and none of the newer games really have the soul that those 3 had.  I'm sure there will be another though.

Just to question the philosophy. Army of Socrates.

• MultibyteMultibyte Member UncommonPosts: 128

I don't buy it that you cannot get that feeling again. The reason why you do not get that feeling from today's games has more to do with the fact that today's games are designed like fast food which are based on fast consumption than anything else.

They do not have the same kind of depth and tightly knit communities anymore since they come with worlds splintered into a million pieces due to all the instancing, phasing, teleporting, segregated zones, finding groups thru menus, going to dungeons thru menus, playing Facebook games inside them etc. etc. etc.

They basically do not offer the kind of RPG worlds that used to create the feeling of belonging to a world anymore.

• KaladinKaladin Member Posts: 468

Wildstar === Did try it out, and liked some aspects of it like the graphics and animation and how huge the zones were but the combat got tiring and just didnt like the gameplay (started aching my hands).  Also the artwork was a bit to cartoony.  MIGHT give it a shot again if it was F2P though.   But dont see it happening. 

Change in payment model will not assist your aching hand problem.

But to answer your main question.  Vanilla WoW will not happen again.  I think in order to find a game you will enjoy requires some introspection.

What specific features do you enjoy most?  Leveling system, gear system, payment system, endgame focus, art style, combat system, etc.  Compare that to games that you enjoyed each aspect the most in, and find a game that fits as many of your likes as possible.  Nobody can help you find a game for you to immerse yourself in better than you.  And all we have to go on is that you liked a world with a large and epic feel, which is not very helpful.

I can fly higher than an aeroplane.
    And I have the voice of a thousand hurricanes.
    Hurt - Wars

• danwest58danwest58 Member RarePosts: 2,012
    Ya, I mean Wow is still a good game, but feel it is now the "Mcdonalds" of MMOS, and will prob always miss the 'ol days when it felt more "real" but that may be due more to nostalgia than anything but I digress.  I Would still pay Blizz an extra $15 a month to play an official "Classic" server.

Yep welcome to everyone wants to feel special.  So every MMO is now McDonald's, because honestly it is.  So I do agree with you on your statement.

Now the MMO that best suits me and the older WOW MMO feel is FFXIV.  If you are a Pali you are a tank, if you are a Bard your a DPS if you are a White Mage you are a healer.  There is no Hybrid classes or multiple specs or roles with classes/Jobs.   You have 1 Job thats the Job you will do in the party.  

When it comes to Instances, outside of level 50 instances and being over geared you cannot pull mob after mob and AOE all down.  You have to pull and its best to have a kill order.  Now for the level 50 instances that people over gear yea its a AOE fest however that is being fixed in the expansion.  

As for Grouping you never have to use the Duty Finder tool to find a group.  Party Finder will allow you to group with people on your server and put a premade together before you queue to go into the instance.  No there is no way to zone into an instance you have to Que.

The Cons 

People dont like the slower combat and bitch to the nine hells about combat being slow.  Yet most dont reach level 30 or the few that do are too built into the WOW large rotations that you never had to think about another spell or ability.  

The world is instanced no big open world.  However they did this for PS3 users.

I love FFXIV and plan to stay a long time.