Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SWTOR endgame options for a non-raider?

I never really gave SWTOR a fair shake, so I'm thinking of trying it again.  I'm not much of a raider these days.  What is there to do at endgame for a non-raider?  Can you make a living just gathering and selling crafting mats?

Thanks!

Comments

• KilrainKilrain Member RarePosts: 1,185
    A lot of people hate on it for the cash shop, but if gathering and trading are your thing then you can do that in ArcheAge from the beginning. To top it off, you'll level up while doing it. I was level 30 when I gave up quests, got a house, started farming/trading. Had a lot of fun and ended up near 50 before I put it on the shelf for a bit. I'm seriously considering going back again, but we'll see.
  • mrrshann618mrrshann618 Member UncommonPosts: 279
    There are always people who do not want to gather for themselves and just raid.
    As for things to do at end game?
    1. There always seems to be some sort of event going on, Bounty week, Gree Event, Rakghoul outbreak.
    2. Holocron/Datacron hunting. I know this is limited, but some do take a group to get.
    3. Rep grind, Yup there is always the ability to grind rep through different factions by doing the dalies.

I do not have an "endgame" toon, I play slow, watch all the movies, and swap between several characters. I make a decent penny at selling mats for what I need, but then again I do not need super uber kewl items, I'm just there to play and have fun.

P.S. I tried Archeage, and while I have nothing bad to say about it, it is not my cup of tea.
    Play what you Like. I like SWOTR, Have a referral to get you going!
    -->  http://www.swtor.com/r/nBndbs  <--
    Several Unlocks and a few days game time to make the F2P considerably easier
  • corvascorvas Member UncommonPosts: 151
    Originally posted by Kilrain
    A lot of people hate on it for the cash shop, but if gathering and trading are your thing then you can do that in ArcheAge from the beginning. To top it off, you'll level up while doing it. I was level 30 when I gave up quests, got a house, started farming/trading. Had a lot of fun and ended up near 50 before I put it on the shelf for a bit. I'm seriously considering going back again, but we'll see.

Archeage ...?!? you mean SWTOR ... this post is about End game content options and he is not asking for what game has good gathering/crafting profs to replace SWTOR, not sure why you post something about Archeage on a SWTOR post.

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130

The thing I like about SWTOR is that the class stories are great, and they aren't tied to raiding. For WoW you basically need to grind out raids to get your conclusion to the story, which is kinda unfortunate. I know it needs to be "Epic" and all, but if they didn't have Pug raiding now I wouldn't do it. 

Anyhoo, just do the class stories. Also, you can buy all your necessary unlocks for pretty reasonable prices on the AH, so F2P is viable. Although I'd recommend subbing for a month just to get the XP boosts so you don't have to do too much of the side content. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• EncephalitisEncephalitis Member UncommonPosts: 78
    Originally posted by MightyUnclean

I never really gave SWTOR a fair shake, so I'm thinking of trying it again.  I'm not much of a raider these days.  What is there to do at endgame for a non-raider?  Can you make a living just gathering and selling crafting mats?

Thanks!

not really, no. as f2p, there's barely anything useful you can buy at your cash limit (200k i think?). even at preferred at, there's still not much great stuff you can afford. take out raiding and not being a sub, and your pvp limits are quite a bit lower than a dlc having subbed user. f2p wise, just play the class stories and call it good. you'll never be competitive (in either raiding or pvp) if you don't spend money. if you're preferred and buy at least the purple tier equipment and maybe some bag space, you can TRY and give things a whirl...but i wouldn't put my money on that either.

frankly, make 2 accounts and spend 5$ each. take the 12 combined slots and play both sides class stories. you'll get more bang for your buck and a lot more entertainment that way, especially if you forget about trying to be somebody/something.

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Originally posted by Encephalitis

Thanks!

not really, no. as f2p, there's barely anything useful you can buy at your cash limit (200k i think?). even at preferred at, there's still not much great stuff you can afford. take out raiding and not being a sub, and your pvp limits are quite a bit lower than a dlc having subbed user. f2p wise, just play the class stories and call it good. you'll never be competitive (in either raiding or pvp) if you don't spend money. if you're preferred and buy at least the purple tier equipment and maybe some bag space, you can TRY and give things a whirl...but i wouldn't put my money on that either.

frankly, ...

Agree. Not as f2p. Pretty much not as preferred. Probably not even as sub. Play the stories basically.

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Originally posted by Encephalitis

Thanks!

frankly, make 2 accounts and spend 5$ each. take the 12 combined slots and play both sides class stories. you'll get more bang for your buck and a lot more entertainment that way, especially if you forget about trying to be somebody/something.

That's a good advice actually (and way more valid than the one squeezing AA into the thread image).

Mighty, TOR is about the class stories, mostly. And also it's about paying the sub :) So let's assume you'll be a sub.

Crafting is meh and not really a long-term viable thing to do at the end - true, with Strongholds it gained some weight, but still not enough for a full-time activity. Also, it's pointless to "make a living" by crafting, if there's nothing you can do with the pile of cash...

If you don't raid, there's not much to do at the end. You can grind the gear, but since the story is over anyways, there's not much reason for it. You can pvp / GSF and farm points there, unlocking new ships and stuff, but it's pretty boring. At least you can get some easy kills if you're sub ;) (the free ships are fairly lame)

With Strongholds there's housing, that's cool (when i rarely go back to TOR I do that mostly for Strongholds). Last but not least, you can make alts and play the other class stories, and with that improving your Legacy. Pretty much that's all. There's some roleplay occasionally, but... there are better games for roleplay :)

edit: for the record, I'm also a non-raider, non-pvp'er one. Play through the class stories as suggested above, and forget the endgame, beyond housing... but the stories well worth that 5 bucks (that will bump you up to preferred from free)

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

Pretty much as Pogg/Enceph said.  The class stories are the meat of the game.  Though now with the 12X experience from the class stories for subscribers, subbing could be a good option.  It doesn't prevent you from taking any of the sidequests, but it's a nice option to be able to skip them and advance as normal.  Some of them feel like a tedious distraction, IMO.

Each class story might take about 10-20 hours of gameplay if you stick with just the Class story at 12X.  So you're talking about subbing for 80-160 hours of gameplay.  However many months that might stretch through, is how much you'd pay.