Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Echo of Soul: A Popcorn MMO

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

This week I jumped into the closed beta for Echo of Soul. EoS is a new MMO being published in the west by Aeria Games. On first look the game seemed interesting enough but I wondered if it would have enough different to keep people around for the long haul. Chances are? Probably not.

Read more of Rob Lashley's Echo of Soul: A Popcorn MMO.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    This is exactly how I feel about EOS and Cabal 2. They're both decently fun theme parks, but not sure if they're anything more. Good games for people who like this type of MMO and want a fresh place to play in while they wait for something more.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    Played it in the beta, and quickly came to a similar conclusion, except I didn't have any fun. It was just too much meh
    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • zanfirezanfire Member UncommonPosts: 969

Thats sadly pretty much every MMO lately. They either do the same exact thing as the last one or hope that some sort of gimmick will get people in.

...One day i will find the next FFXI....one day...

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130

Oh WoW.... ;)

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• ElvocElvoc Member RarePosts: 546
    Yea I really think the only draw for this game and Cabal 2 are that they are "new" but other than that I am betting they wont have full servers after the first 30 days.
  • elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335
    Add to the already long list of similar eastern MMOs.  Exact same game with a different skin.  When will this "trend" stop?
  • goth1cgoth1c Member UncommonPosts: 79
    Originally posted by elocke
    Add to the already long list of similar eastern MMOs.  Exact same game with a different skin.  When will this "trend" stop?

When people stop playing them

• achala22achala22 Member UncommonPosts: 5

well i'm currently in the CBT and let me tell you one thing;it's boring really boring . Even the pvp is not funny at all :(

the game is awful, don't waste your time in EOS you can find better than this one.

• IridescentJoeIridescentJoe Member Posts: 89
    stopped reading when I saw this is from Aeria
  • WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,361
    and this game has founder packs? ...trying to milk before it goes full pay2win or close to p2w
  • nhatnhat Member UncommonPosts: 166

Yes because Wildstar, Star Wars, ESO did so well too.

Well whats unique about this game is that there's no healers so first impressions aren't exactly the best for this game since the difference will be seen in group dungeon play which will have a dramatic difference in party play.

• hockeyplayrhockeyplayr Member UncommonPosts: 604
    i took the plunge because i heard somewhere it was made by some lineage 2 devs.  So far it isn't too bad. But I'm only lvl 10 and have taken a long break from mmos aside from a stint in wildstar. 
  • KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    Originally posted by Skuall
    and this game has founder packs? ...trying to milk before it goes full pay2win or close to p2w

Says the guy with the avatar of the worst mmo I've ever played where apparently you get banned for mentioning p2w lol

• WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,361
    Originally posted by Kajidourden
    Originally posted by Skuall

Says the guy with the avatar of the worst mmo I've ever played where apparently you get banned for mentioning p2w lol

its on CBT still , and no clue what is gonna be sold on the shop, so what are u talking about lol

• ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729
    Its aeria games, did you guys honestly expect something worth your time and money?

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• mattic65mattic65 Member UncommonPosts: 191
    If this game were more open world and less zoned (and small zones, at that), I would like this game a bit more than I do. As it stands, I'm just kind of meh about it all. I've got to say it's probably one of the better games that Aeria has gotten license for. 

• timf2121timf2121 Member UncommonPosts: 12

I played the CN version of this game, and there are few things i don't like about it 

1) combat is stationary, meaning you can not move while you use a skill even if it is an instant skill 

2) too many small zones, does not feel like a consistent world 

3) EMPTY SERVER, at least in CN version, sometime you won't encounter another player in 3 hrs. 

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335
    Originally posted by nhat

Well whats unique about this game is that there's no healers so first impressions aren't exactly the best for this game since the difference will be seen in group dungeon play which will have a dramatic difference in party play.

Umm..said nothing about "doing well" but those games trump anything like this one and all it's ilk by a long shot.  Although, I personally find SWTOR just as bad a game, but Wildstar and ESO, currently are much better games.  Not at launch, but now they are, for sure.  They also have a unique feel to them.  EoS and every eastern MMORPG like it i.e. Cabal Online, Conquer Online, Raiderz, Aion, Tera etc. all have this same feel and playstyle and all look pretty but are as shallow as can be and make my eyes glaze over in boredom from the very first step I take on my character. 

• nhatnhat Member UncommonPosts: 166

Umm..said nothing about "doing well" but those games trump anything like this one and all it's ilk by a long shot.  Although, I personally find SWTOR just as bad a game, but Wildstar and ESO, currently are much better games.  Not at launch, but now they are, for sure.  They also have a unique feel to them.  EoS and every eastern MMORPG like it i.e. Cabal Online, Conquer Online, Raiderz, Aion, Tera etc. all have this same feel and playstyle and all look pretty but are as shallow as can be and make my eyes glaze over in boredom from the very first step I take on my character. 

Yea there's always crappy and shallow MMOs but there's the solid but nothing new gameplay. EOS  and wildstar falls in the latter but WS have so many more flaws. Making a character was one of the most disappointing feature in wildstar, lack of customization and gender locked classes. Gameplay wasn't any better then guild wars 2 and style was in your face cartooney style, way too forceful. I'll take EOS over WS any day over the toxic hardcore community WS have

As for "trumping" that's pretty subjective, I don't think there's a "perfect" mmo, just what positive and negatives are there
  • odiasudaodiasuda Member UncommonPosts: 162
    "Per-say"?  Really? 
  • inmysightsinmysights Member UncommonPosts: 441
    man, I have that same issue with Aeria game, I tried to install a few of them and they always tell me I have some sort of software it doesnt like and stops working. So damn lame of them.

I am so good, I backstabbed your face!

• MaurgrimMaurgrim Member RarePosts: 1,324
    We have time traveled back 8 years?
  • kenpokillerkenpokiller Member UncommonPosts: 321

Just started playing, this is my first Korean MMO.

When I heard 1600 quests I thought something different then just progressing through them in a way you go from point A to B. Still i'm having fun, it's all new :)

Sway all day, butterfly flaps all the way!

• kenpokillerkenpokiller Member UncommonPosts: 321

Shh let me lie to myself

Sway all day, butterfly flaps all the way!

• SatyrosSatyros Member UncommonPosts: 156

Asian imports usually cannot work in the west.

In asia they have a huge crowd. Even a tiny percentage of the pie is more than enough to sustain and generate profit for a company.