Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

World of Warcraft: Subscriptions Tumble from 10M to 7.1M

Comments

• zaberfangxzaberfangx Member UncommonPosts: 1,796

With so much hype get push, and people saying how this expansion is the best one yet, from the last 2 expansion I didn't get pass 3 days of playing after paying so much money just to get in and play, feel like how it feel to other people with arche age they pay in didn't get what they wanted, so don't make up the money one spend in it just to play.

Thats why didn't end up getting this expansion if I'm just going waste money.

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424
    WoW isn't going anywhere.  I already guessed that those who came back just because of WoD would most likely leave.  These are the content locusts that go from game to game eating up content, then moving on when there is no more content left.  When 6.2 comes out, subs will go back up, then fall again....this happens in every game.  It's just easier to see in WoW because they have 5-10x more players than any other mmo at any given time.
  • meonthissitemeonthissite Member UncommonPosts: 917

While I'm no doomsday prophet like some of these jokers on here, the reasons why it tanked as simply for three reasons. They didn't give enough framework to the hardcore crowd so that they didn't have to do what casuals enjoy doing which was use systems like the Garrison to progress in gear, they didn't release new content in 6.1, and they designed the content in 6.2 to require a tier 3 garrison which is a pain to accomplish because it has such a huge list of things to complete to even reach Tier 3.

So basically not enough progression options for the 1% too much grind for the 99% and they missed a window that should have been used to add content.

• HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    Originally posted by meonthissite

While I'm no doomsday prophet like some of these jokers on here, the reasons why it tanked as simply for three reasons. They didn't give enough framework to the hardcore crowd so that they didn't have to do what casuals enjoy doing which was use systems like the Garrison to progress in gear, they didn't release new content in 6.1, and they designed the content in 6.2 to require a tier 3 garrison which is a pain to accomplish because it has such a huge list of things to complete to even reach Tier 3.

So basically not enough progression options for the 1% too much grind for the 99% and they missed a window that should have been used to add content.

Teir 3 garrison does not take a lot to accomplish.  To upgrade every building to teir 3 yes, but you only need the main building to be teir 3.  So not sure what you were having trouble with.

• GreteldaGretelda Member UncommonPosts: 359

lol @ all those reviews and comments at launch acting as if WoD is something exceptional.

also 10 to 7m right now means one thing... unless Blizzard release something really unique they won't get 10 back next time.

my top MMOs: UO,DAOC,WoW,GW2

most of my posts are just my opinions they are not facts,it is the same for you too.

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916

This is not suprising. Expansion surges have always been a thing.

What is more schoking is the name of that website. Gamasutra. Interesting source of news. Wonder what else they cover.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

Originally posted by Gretelda

lol @ all those reviews and comments at launch acting as if WoD is something exceptional.

also 10 to 7m right now means one thing... unless Blizzard release something really unique they won't get 10 back next time.

Bet they would get back.  Just because they left after a few months does not mean they did not like it.  Might mean there was not enough and they will come back when there is more.

Last sentence, it doesn't mean anything. You can't say that next expansion won't surge to 10m. How did you get that frm this? Wishful thinking?

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

Originally posted by josko9
    Originally posted by Markn
    7.1 and 4 of it is in asia :)

More like Minimum 5.

I'd be suprised if WoW has more than 2mil players in the West.

50 active friends from my list, went down to 5, which are logging in once a week.

It's also worth noting this report is from March (just when the new raid and patch launched), WoW is probably below 6mil (1.5mil in the West) right now.

You know what they say...whatever helps you sleep at night.

I like the 50 active friends comment. It's a nice touch to add credibility to your "facts". Throw in the some random comment about how subs are at 0.0000000000000000000001m at the moment for added spice.

Originally posted by Hrimnir
    Originally posted by MrMelGibson
    Originally posted by Dullahan
    Please crash, and in so doing, burn.

You really haven't thought this through.  Blizzard crashing and burning would not be good for mmos and gaming in general.  It could really effect other mmos in development.  Even your precious Pantheon could possibly get impacted.  If you don't care about that, at least think about all the people who work at blizzard.  Would really be a shame for all those people to be laid off.

I have to disagree.  Blizzard crashing and burning would send a message that the format is not working and might open up investors to be more risk averse in funding different types of mmos.

I think you don't know what the word risk averse means.

A major MMO tanking may mean the exact opposite - gaming companies would stay well away from MMOs. This is already happening it seems. There isn't a single quality MMO coming out in the near future that is not made by some kind of indie company. I guess other genres are much more lucrative.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by Sovrath
    Originally posted by Yaevindusk

Losing 30% of your player base since the last report is a telling tale.

nah, this happens all the time with these games. Release game, large spike and then it evens out over a few months. They release an expansion, spike then goes down.

Rinse and repeat.

If you go through these forums you will see that this same conversation has been had over WoW's numbers and expansions for years.

What it "tells" is that certain people buy the expansion because they are fans or curious, they either burn through it or realize that the expansion wasn't enough to keep them and then after they come to their respective conclusions they leave.

It's not just WOW that this happens to.. This is essentially the case for all MMORPG's especially with any over a few years old. WHat it says is that WOW's sample size is just a lot larger than most other games in the genre (for whatever reason, could just be more visibility/market awareness).  They all gain then lose a decently sized portion of players with major updates.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536

Other games do appear more lucrative when MMOs went from spending less than 20M and having a good return, to spending 200M and having a smaller return and in the process, redefining what people think it takes to fund an MMO.

Until good MMOs start getting released for around 20M, its going to be hard to convince people to invest.

• GreteldaGretelda Member UncommonPosts: 359
    Originally posted by fivoroth

Last sentence, it doesn't mean anything. You can't say that next expansion won't surge to 10m. How did you get that frm this? Wishful thinking?

it's called prediction i never claimed it to be a fact. in fact i have written in my signature (for a long time) that most of my posts are my opinions even though it is obvious. as for wishful thinking... what i wish is for WOW to step up it's game not to fade away. that would be my wish but the new Blizzard doesn't seem as good as the old one.

Originally posted by Horusra

Bet they would get back.  Just because they left after a few months does not mean they did not like it.  Might mean there was not enough and they will come back when there is more.

maybe. my theory is that since people had high expectations for WoD, so maybe because of that  they don't give the game another chance. this does not include those that treat the game as a social hub or a job though i am talking about the same people that like to spend 1 month in a new game then move on. doubt these type of people generally care for Tokens to keep them around. Tokens however can attract another type of crowd but to me it's mostly to stop the bleeding not to increase the population.

i know if they go for Sargeras i will jump back into the game asap but sadly i doubt they go for it anytime soon if ever.

my top MMOs: UO,DAOC,WoW,GW2

most of my posts are just my opinions they are not facts,it is the same for you too.

Originally posted by fivoroth

it's called prediction i never claimed it to be a fact. in fact i have written in my signature (for a long time) that most of my posts are my opinions even though it is obvious. as for wishful thinking... what i wish is for WOW to step up it's game not to fade away. that would be my wish but the new Blizzard doesn't seem as good as the old one.

maybe. my theory is that since people had high expectations for WoD, so maybe because of that  they don't give the game another chance. this does not include those that treat the game as a social hub or a job though i am talking about the same people that like to spend 1 month in a new game then move on. doubt these type of people generally care for Tokens to keep them around. Tokens however can attract another type of crowd but to me it's mostly to stop the bleeding not to increase the population.

i know if they go for Sargeras i will jump back into the game asap but sadly i doubt they go for it anytime soon if ever.

Humans have a very high propensity to keep going to something based not on fact or past history but on belief that this time it will be better. 

• LeighDidItLeighDidIt Member UncommonPosts: 17

While a drop of three million subscribers may not seem like a huge hit for a company that had 10 million subscribers it should be used as a benchmark to point out how unpopular this new build is.  I was a WOW subscriber and the reason I cancelled my subscription was the restrictive nature of WoD.  I am not a player that enjoys raiding, PVP or the battlegrounds.  I enjoyed the quests, exploring, leveling professions, I am more of a solo player.  WoD was a much anticipated but sadly disappointing chapter of the WoW saga.  

The garrison aspect of WoD was very uninteresting, and I did not like the fact leveling for a solo player is tied to building and maintaining the garrison.  Professions were turned into a terrible grind because of the high amounts of materials required to craft.  I loved Mists of Pandaria, granted the few times I did the dungeons I found them to be unchallenging but gorgeous.  With MoP, there were enjoyable quests, a good storyline and lots of exploring.  Timeless Isles got a bit redundant but it too offered enjoyable things to do, and I loved the treasure boxes.   Blizzard needs to take into consideration some players join the game to do other things besides group content and taking care of the garrison is just boring. 

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    Garrisons >selfies > garrison buildings on water. Their mmorpg thought tank is dry and rusty.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• HeraseHerase Member RarePosts: 993

Humans have a very high propensity to keep going to something based not on fact or past history but on belief that this time it will be better. 

While true, i think this xpac was an exception due to the fact Blizzard made some big changes and promised quite a bit. First being returning to TBC style of game (Those words are like a moth to a flame alone), changes to stats which were meant to make PvP more interesting, the big squish. Mystic raiding which was said by blizz to be more interesting and dynamic, changes about progression, Garrison and so one. People expected better from the xpac hence the massive influx this time, but unfortunately nothing happened, some how even with all these changes the game stayed the exact same, just became more restricted :(.

Originally posted by Herase

While true, i think this xpac was an exception due to the fact Blizzard made some big changes and promised quite a bit. First being returning to TBC style of game (Those words are like a moth to a flame alone), changes to stats which were meant to make PvP more interesting, the big squish. Mystic raiding which was said by blizz to be more interesting and dynamic, changes about progression, Garrison and so one. People expected better from the xpac hence the massive influx this time, but unfortunately nothing happened, some how even with all these changes the game stayed the exact same, just became more restricted :(.

With as many people that keep paying to see Transformer movies in the theater I do not think you are right.

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335
    Anyone notice in this thread the real issue at hand?  People still subbed who aren't playing/happy with the current game.  No wonder it isn't changing, UNSUB for Pete's sake if you are taking a break or are unhappy.  Your wallet will speak to Blizzard far better than any forum post.  How will they ever learn why people leave if people still stay subbed because they are "used" to it or have opted for longer plans(hence why I always do monthly as I rarely stay longer than 2 to 3 months in one MMO anymore as it is).
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

Doom!... DOOM!!!!!!!!

/sarcasm

• RoguewizRoguewiz Member UncommonPosts: 711

WOW losing subscriptions?  No way, not WOW...

It is the nature of the beast.  Expansion comes out, albeit a rather boring expansion (to me).  Expansion is "beat", people jump ship to do something else.  It happens in basically every game.  When a new big content patch comes out, subs will jump temporarily, and then taper off.

Now, what would be news is if subs continue to plummet.  Since I know of a few WOW players that still immensely enjoy the game for some reason, I highly doubt we'll see that big of a drop off any time soon.

When Crowfall comes out and IF (and I stress IF) EQ Next comes out; we might actually see a bigger drop.

Until then, it isn't news.

Raquelis in various games
    Played: Everything
    Playing: Nioh 2, Civ6
    Wants: The World
    Anticipating: Everquest Next Crowfall, Pantheon, Elden Ring

Tank - Healer - Support: The REAL Trinity
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Sounds like all thats happened is that the people who rejoined the game for the expac, have left it again, and subs have returned to the level they were before WoD was released, guess thats the lifespan of an expacimage
  • TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627
    Originally posted by Asamof

the resources allocated to garrisons + ashran development would have been better used for more dungeons + new battlegrounds imo

pve is great as always, pvp still a disaster and ashran is a huge joke too

^^^^  This...Garrisons and Ashran are what is killing it.   Plus with the news that after 6.2 all the crap we had to do with garrisons will be thrown out and become just a another nonsense hurdle for future players to overcome as they level - doesn't bode well.  The biggest problem with WoW is the developers make all past content worthless in the next expac.   We've seen it repeatedly in past expansions...and it continues to be an issue.  Look at the garden in Pandaria...it could have been added to and expanded - instead after all the effort - it is worthless in WoD.  Then take Garrisons...the developers have all ready stated they won't be doing anything significant with them past 6.2 and that future expansions won't really have anything relevant to them...what a serious waste of resources that could have been spent on more quest, landmass and other content that doesn't require you to sign in daily to manage. 

Why put so much into something you're just going to discard? 

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    Originally posted by Roguewiz

WOW losing subscriptions?  No way, not WOW...

It is the nature of the beast.  Expansion comes out, albeit a rather boring expansion (to me).  Expansion is "beat", people jump ship to do something else.  It happens in basically every game.  When a new big content patch comes out, subs will jump temporarily, and then taper off.

Now, what would be news is if subs continue to plummet.  Since I know of a few WOW players that still immensely enjoy the game for some reason, I highly doubt we'll see that big of a drop off any time soon.

When Crowfall comes out and IF (and I stress IF) EQ Next comes out; we might actually see a bigger drop.

Until then, it isn't news.

I don't think you looked at the graph, for all previous expansions the drops have been near the end of the expansion, not the first quarter.  The average was 500k in the first quarter before WOD, WOD its 3 million.  in all expansions the subs continue to drop throughout the expansion with a big drop at the end, which is expected for WOD as well.   if the patterns remains no worse than it has been for the last 5 years  then 55% of its player base will have stopped playing by the end of the expansion.  

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• KabulozoKabulozo Member RarePosts: 932

WoW is losing subs faster than before, during the last expansion, it took much more time for WoW to lose so many subs.

Although it can recover subs after a new expansion, the loss of subs is happening during a shorter period of time than before.