Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Its sad how much I love MMO's yet there isnt one on the market I currently want to play

Comments

• JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321

I burned out on the MMORPG group grind a few years back, then slowly after that burned out on  the solo grind. I have 4 MMORPGs on my drive right now .  All are FTP with cash shop and have credits available in the cash shops of three but can't force myself to log in. Been playing single player RPG's and FPS's during my free time.

Impatiently waiting for Witcher III to release, not following any MMO's at the moment

I miss DAoC

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by Jackdog

I burned out on the MMORPG group grind a few years back, then slowly after that burned out on  the solo grind. I have 4 MMORPGs on my drive right now .  All are FTP with cash shop and have credits available in the cash shops of three but can't force myself to log in. Been playing single player RPG's and FPS's during my free time.

Impatiently waiting for Witcher III to release, not following any MMO's at the moment

Taking a break now and then is a good idea, no matter if we are talking about a specific MMO or MMOs in general. I usually takes the summer off from any computer games and focus on other stuff (like pen and paper RPGs, music festivals, boardgames, hiking and beer). Once I get back to gaming in the autumn it is always far more fun then how it was before the break.

Just how long break you need is of course personal, some people take a few weeks others a year or more. As for OP then I don't know when he last played but I think he needs more time off before considering something new or getting back to an old game.

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Originally posted by Iselin

Some developers who are not aiming for market domination will occasionally develop for niche markets. If you're in their target niche, you may get what you're hoping for.

Which is precisely where the genre started, and where no doubt many hope it will return.

It's not really debatable that, once the genre hit the mainstream, priorities shifted in development and investment (specifically with the increase of investment money in the genre).  And the trend since WoW has seemed to indicate a slow return to a niche for the genre as a whole.  Many don't see that as necessarily a bad thing.

If they're like me, they don't mind MOBAs, or Coop RPGs, or shared world shooters.  Those are fine for the folks that enjoy them (I even enjoy a match of Smite).  However, I'd like the MMORPG genre proper to return to the roots of the niche it was built upon in the first place.

• Boomerang102Boomerang102 Member Posts: 3

There is a lot of good stuff out there.  Try going back to one you have not looked at in a few years.  I am always cycling old games back in... I will get a few good months out of them and cycle them back out when I stop enjoying them.  I have been going back and leaving EQ2, Rift, Anarchy Online, WOW, SWTOR, Secret World and Guildwars 2 and a few others over and over again for years.  For some reason I never went back to EQ, but next time I am looking for something I might rotate it back in as well.

Some of those games are the same and I love to re-experience them.  Others have changed or matured dramatically since they have launched and it is a blast to discover the changes. (maybe they changed what I didnt like)

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by vandal5627
    Originally posted by nariusseldon
    Originally posted by Lobotomist

Most of people here are like you. MMOs have taken wrong turn. Very, very wrong turn. And because of this are practically dying out.

I myself play ESO and GW2. But this is far from what I would imagine in 2004, as a MMO of year 2015. They are single player games with other players running around.

I am basically coming to this site out of habit , heck even this site almost stopped writing about MMOs.

So yes. There is no choice but to be in No MMO club. Maybe, maybe Crowfall will bring some light back.

"most of people here" != "most of people out there" ... hence "wrong" is only subjective. In fact, they are dying out purely because the original idea is really not that attractive to the larger gaming market.

May be it is time to embrace other types of online games as MMOs. The original MMO virtual world concept is not the only fun type of games out there, at least not for many .. obviously.

Yup, quite obvious.  Some, and I say some becauce MANY have embraced the new and are rather enjoying themselves but the SOME just can't let go of the past.  And it's not even the most here, it's the same few people regurgitating the same thread over and over veiled by a different title.

well .. that is always the case. People who dwell on the past too much will be left behind . There are still those who still play text adventures too. It is not necessarily a bad thing ... but it is a bad thing when people become too jaded and cannot enjoy anything.

It is entertainment we are talking about, after all.

• ArtificeVenatusArtificeVenatus Member UncommonPosts: 1,236

Most of people here are like you. MMOs have taken wrong turn. Very, very wrong turn. And because of this are practically dying out.

I myself play ESO and GW2. But this is far from what I would imagine in 2004, as a MMO of year 2015. They are single player games with other players running around.

I am basically coming to this site out of habit , heck even this site almost stopped writing about MMOs.

So yes. There is no choice but to be in No MMO club. Maybe, maybe Crowfall will bring some light back.

"most of people here" != "most of people out there" ... hence "wrong" is only subjective. In fact, they are dying out purely because the original idea is really not that attractive to the larger gaming market.

May be it is time to embrace other types of online games as MMOs. The original MMO virtual world concept is not the only fun type of games out there, at least not for many .. obviously.

Yup, quite obvious.  Some, and I say some becauce MANY have embraced the new and are rather enjoying themselves but the SOME just can't let go of the past.  And it's not even the most here, it's the same few people regurgitating the same thread over and over veiled by a different title.

well .. that is always the case. People who dwell on the past too much will be left behind . There are still those who still play text adventures too. It is not necessarily a bad thing ... but it is a bad thing when people become too jaded and cannot enjoy anything.

It is entertainment we are talking about, but...

If one's interest was in fine literature, would they instead read pop-up picture books? Sure, they could do that too, but there is a choice to do so.

If one's interest was in fine paintings, would they instead look at a canvas of worded descriptions of what a painting might look like if it were painted? Sure, they could do that too, but there is a choice to do so.

If one's interest was in realistic movies, would they instead watch cartoons? Sure, they could do that too, but there is a choice to do so.

If one's interest was in theater performances, would they instead watch some television episode? Sure, they could do that too, but there is a choice to do so.

The issue is, with regard to any proper MMORPG, it does not exist... ie, there is NO EFFING CHOICE. See?

Nothing to do with living in the past either.

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    Meridian 59 is still around and as classic as they come!

I don't think DAOC has changed in a decade.

Anarchy Online has the same classic life consuming grind.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by ArtificeVenatus

If one's interest was in fine literature, would they instead read pop-up picture books? Sure, they could do that too, but there is a choice to do so.

If one's interest was in fine paintings, would they instead look at a canvas of worded descriptions of what a painting might look like if it were painted? Sure, they could do that too, but there is a choice to do so.

If one's interest was in realistic movies, would they instead watch cartoons? Sure, they could do that too, but there is a choice to do so.

If one's interest was in theater performances, would they instead watch some television episode? Sure, they could do that too, but there is a choice to do so.

The issue is, with regard to any proper MMORPG, it does not exist... ie, there is NO EFFING CHOICE. See?

Maybe, but it is a choice to have extremely rigid taste as well as expectations.

In each of your examples those wants are easily fulfilled. There are plenty of choices in Fine Literature, there are plenty of fine paintings, plenty of realistic movies, as well as plenty of plays to see.  These folks can afford to back themselves into their proverbial corner only accepting the few things they allow to invade their senses.

That is not the case here. A person sets their own standards, in turn they will often find they must lower them or even forget them entirely if what they want can't be obtained. WHat other option is there? Plant yourself on a site like this only to complain day in and day out?

My ideal game is an updated SWG, without it's existence I'm left with little choice but to find something else, which isn't really hard at all. All it takes is accepting that reality.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

Originally posted by Distopia

Maybe, but it is a choice to have extremely rigid taste as well as expectations.

In each of your examples those wants are easily fulfilled. There are plenty of choices in Fine Literature, there are plenty of fine paintings, plenty of realistic movies, as well as plenty of plays to see.  These folks can afford to back themselves into their proverbial corner only accepting the few things they allow to invade their senses.

That is not the case here. A person sets their own standards, in turn they will often find they must lower them or even forget them entirely if what they want can't be obtained. WHat other option is there? Plant yourself on a site like this only to complain day in and day out?

My ideal game is an updated SWG, without it's existence I'm left with little choice but to find something else, which isn't really hard at all. All it takes is accepting that reality.

"All it takes is accepting that reality"? image Should we next accept the ills of the world?... Accept where technology has taken us and never look forward?... Accept where we are in life and never attempt to achieve more?... Accept everything we are told while questioning nothing?... Accept that others can live as they will without any concern for others (yourself included), yet would actually blow a gasket if you did the same (even if how you wanted to live did not effect them at all)? I know, it is just a game, just entertainment... but that is what they are saying within the entertainment as well. They have their entertainment, and will be damned if we have ours. Accept what you will... accept that I will not accept that. Except when I need no longer accept other peoples' nonsensical statements of what I should accept or not. EFF THEM.

• ozmonoozmono Member UncommonPosts: 1,211

"All it takes is accepting that reality"? image Should we next accept the ills of the world?... Accept where technology has taken us and never look forward?... Accept where we are in life and never attempt to achieve more?... Accept everything we are told while questioning nothing?... Accept that others can live as they will without any concern for others (yourself included), yet would actually blow a gasket if you did the same (even if how you wanted to live did not effect them at all)? I know, it is just a game, just entertainment... but that is what they are saying within the entertainment as well. They have their entertainment, and will be damned if we have ours. Accept what you will... accept that I will not accept that. Except when I need no longer accept other peoples' nonsensical statements of what I should accept or not. EFF THEM.

I think you actually make a great point even if overly dramatic. That said it is overly dramatic, video games aren't going to provide us a path to Nirvana and I think it's healthy and good for the world if we do actually accept that. Rather then complaining about how video games aren't good enough, discussing how they could be better we could rather do that with some more important topics that you used as an example.

If at the end of the day we can't face reality with the same passion then maybe we should get our hands dirty and start developing our own games, especially if there is an unmet demand. It's becoming easier to make descent games these days. I should remind myself of this from time to time aswell as others but what do they say, those who can't teach?

• nottykidnottykid Member UncommonPosts: 23

Sounds more like you love "RPG" more than the "MMO" - MMO is all about THE GRIND; on that note to be honest no one can say "here is an MMO for you" because that is a personal choice.

**Keep in mind there is no such thing as a perfect MMO, all of these will have a flaw**

I would say you would like Archeage - VERY open to do what you want where combat isn't the only thing to do

If you want something captivating- IMO one of the best action MMORPGs - Vindictus (although very PTW- I think it is one of the funnest combat systems out there)

Elder Scrolls went buy-to-play / (F2P) recently (and it's not Pay to win!) - The combat is kinda "meh" and it feels a bit redundant but you can easily get sucked into the professions; the game isn't bad- I bought the $100 collectors edition on release and I can say the game has made HUGE improvements since launch. (Also the console versions are releasing soon if your willing to wait)

You could always buy a game on steam- you could sign up for gamefly and rent something you haven't played but dont want to buy (dying light?; DBZ Xenoverse?; Killing floor 2?; ect)

IMO- what you need is a break from gaming, read a book and resist the urge to play any games for about a week or 2 (you wont last 1 week without playing ANY games) then you will be ready to grind on any game.

Originally posted by nottykid

Sounds more like you love "RPG" more than the "MMO" - MMO is all about THE GRIND; on that note to be honest no one can say "here is an MMO for you" because that is a personal choice.

**Keep in mind there is no such thing as a perfect MMO, all of these will have a flaw**

I would say you would like Archeage - VERY open to do what you want where combat isn't the only thing to do

If you want something captivating- IMO one of the best action MMORPGs - Vindictus (although very PTW- I think it is one of the funnest combat systems out there)

Elder Scrolls went buy-to-play / (F2P) recently (and it's not Pay to win!) - The combat is kinda "meh" and it feels a bit redundant but you can easily get sucked into the professions; the game isn't bad- I bought the $100 collectors edition on release and I can say the game has made HUGE improvements since launch. (Also the console versions are releasing soon if your willing to wait)

You could always buy a game on steam- you could sign up for gamefly and rent something you haven't played but dont want to buy (dying light?; DBZ Xenoverse?; Killing floor 2?; ect)

IMO- what you need is a break from gaming, read a book and resist the urge to play any games for about a week or 2 (you wont last 1 week without playing ANY games) then you will be ready to grind on any game.

Really? Another idiotic "you are burnt out" pos post?

I could take a decade away from all computer and tv activities... ALL OF THEM. Come back a year later and STILL KNOW WTF I WANT.

Perhaps an intelligent poster should actually reply to the OP. Perhaps a dev that does not have their head up their hindside.

So far we have Pantheon and Saga of Lucimia as potential candidates to end the BS in this industry.

• ozmonoozmono Member UncommonPosts: 1,211

Really? Another idiotic "you are burnt out" pos post?

I could take a decade away from all computer and tv activities... ALL OF THEM. Come back a year later and STILL KNOW WTF I WANT.

Perhaps an intelligent poster should actually reply to the OP. Perhaps a dev that does not have their head up their hindside.

So far we have Pantheon and Saga of Lucimia as potential candidates to end the BS in this industry.

Atleast take a break from the forums mate ;) It seems you need one. I don't see why it should upset you so much.

• nottykidnottykid Member UncommonPosts: 23

@ArtificeVenatus

Seriously?! Alright first of all READ THE WHOLE POST; stop- think about it in its entirety and THEN consider if what you want to reply is helpful and/or useful in ANY way....in that sense you failed.

The original post centralizes on "Anyone else out there in the "No-MMO's Club"

Why would someone ask this on an MMORPG WEBSITE!!!!!!! - I mean it is like going to a butchery and asking if anyone is vegetarian! - So I am led to believe his intentions are "is there an MMORPG that I would like because I don't have anything to play" which I suggested MMORPGs based off of what he described; if that doesn't work try taking a break (this is what works for me) - if he wasn't looking for advice on what he should do then why post at all?

Get off your computer boy- and give your best efforts to learn how to treat and talk to people without sounding like a total ass or you're gonna learn what Welfare is real quick.

That is even worse.

Why bother agonizing over a non-choice? I would love to have a well done Diablo-ish game in ancient Chinese martial arts setting or chinese comic book setting too.

But do I wallow in self-pity just because no one makes such games? Hell no ... there are other fun things in life.

In fact, the point is ... if you like fine literature and none exists ... do you wallow in sorrow just because you miss some entertainment you like? Or just go do something else.

I opt to do something else. Not having your desire served is not a good reason to be miserable.

But again, if you choose to be miserable, who am I to stop you? Don't expect me to follow suit though. If tomorrow, all MMOs revert back to the very boring UO or EQ (boring for me, of course), I will simply just do something else. There are plenty.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

The reality is what I want doesn't exist, so i must settle for what does. ANother way to make my point is... coming here, doing this day in and day out.. doesn't make it better, it really doesn't change anything. IF it does anything at all it feeds myopic feelings, in turn heightening them. What good will come of that?

You certainly aren't going to "achieve more" by creating threads like this... IF that were the case it would have happened years ago. That's what is sad about this to me...(This type of rebuttal ).

The notion that accepting reality is bowing down to some regime of tyranny. That's how these posts make it sound... Accepting reality in this sense is nothing more than attempting to occupy free time with positive activity, not consuming oneself with the negative.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

The reality is what I want doesn't exist, so i must settle for what does. ANother way to make my point is... coming here, doing this day in and day out.. doesn't make it better, it really doesn't change anything. IF it does anything at all it feeds myopic feelings, in turn heightening them. What good will come of that?

You certainly aren't going to "achieve more" by creating threads like this... IF that were the case it would have happened years ago. That's what is sad about this to me...(This type of rebuttal ).

The notion that accepting reality is bowing down to some regime of tyranny. That's how these posts make it sound... Accepting reality in this sense is nothing more than attempting to occupy free time with positive activity, not consuming oneself with the negative.

What? People come in to change the MMO industry?

And i thought they are here just for some fun verbal jousting.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955

Nari, coming from someone who posts more than about ten of us put together that P2P is over, F2P is wonderful and making more money, and all online games are MMOs...that is a bit rich. :)

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] UncommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • sludgebeardsludgebeard Member RarePosts: 788

Dude its just MMO's.Dont lost sleep over it.

Originally posted by Scot

Nari, coming from someone who posts more than about ten of us put together that P2P is over, F2P is wonderful and making more money, and all online games are MMOs...that is a bit rich. :)

nah .. that is just realistic. Anyone who expect an internet forum will change anything is naive. Don't tell me you really think i am here to change minds?

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955

nah .. that is just realistic. Anyone who expect an internet forum will change anything is naive. Don't tell me you really think i am here to change minds?

You have done posts before trying to prove F2P is earning more than P2P etc, so yes you are. But for all of us there is an element of that in our posts. We believe something to be true and want to pass that on. It was the idea that you of all people were just here for verbal jousting that amused me.

• sanshi44sanshi44 Member UncommonPosts: 1,187
    Originally posted by sludgebeard

Its sad I know, and yes I know: Its Me. 

Im not denying that I have been spoiled by the greats, PRE-CU SWG, Vanilla WoW, City of Heroes, hell even original Age of Conan was different enough.

Now there's nothing for me, the only MMO's I haven played that are on the top list are Secret World (Never like the look of the combat) and FFXIV (saw a friend play the starting quests and just seemed to boring and slow).

But I love MMO's! I just want a game where I can jump in as a Dwarf, go find a mine, and start mining, or maybe just join a group and fight so mobs.

Im a simple man, but all the MMO's right now are just solo grind fests, or they just dont have enough depth for me.

Is there any hope for a guy like me MMORPG? Anyone else out there in the "No-MMO's Club"?

Might wanna give pathfinder a try im thinking, its early enrollment or what not so and lots of different thing to relearn its realy takes u back to the first mmo feeling with tryingt o figure out what to do and skilslto get haha. i just ended up making a dwarf ran round and mined for a bit at start of polaying myself :P. Intresting thing is u dont need 2 be logged in to earn XP its a flat rate every hour. which is intresting.

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000

These threads, that come back again and again show one thing. There are a ton of players out there who think MMOs have gone of the rails. They can't all be wrong. 

Nope, they can't all be wrong just the same as they can't all be right.  It's always a mixed bag.  There will always be happy and unhappy players no matter what the devs do.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

I'll second that. Seems like some decent insight and sound advice. 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre