Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Skyforge: Devs Talk Invasions - The Potential to Change the World

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Obsidian Entertainment, Allods Team and My.com have released a new Skyforge developer diary to talk about special worldwide events called Invasions. Participation in invasions can see players scoring some amazing gear, costumes and items to enhance players' powers and abilities. Invasions can last months and have the potential to reshape the game world.

You can read more about Invasions on the Skyforge site.

//config.playwire.com/1001557/videos/v2/3591924/zeus.json

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    Did they also mention what a great job they are doing censoring their forums if anyone mentions the Pay-2-Win ability in their cash shop? 
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• zakraidarbgzakraidarbg Member UncommonPosts: 28
    the end game  in this game looks amazing im just  a little worryed    what  am ablle to do  until then exept  quests and  some pvp  not that  those   two things arent fun in skyforge
  • LurchUSALurchUSA Member UncommonPosts: 97
    indeed, I had my signature deleted from my account because it had "P2W" in the text. The comment was not directed at them, just online gaming as a whole, but it was still enough to get the ban hammer to my sig.
  • BoltonsquadBoltonsquad Member UncommonPosts: 403
    Originally posted by Talonsin
    Did they also mention what a great job they are doing censoring their forums if anyone mentions the Pay-2-Win ability in their cash shop? 

Because it's clearly from a troll trying to stir up something that isn't there, there is no P2W, there is however a pay to progress faster than other players which is "your" choice.

I have already paid for the 65 euro founder pack does that make me paying to win, of course not.

It allows me to pay a company for the efforts they have put into the game and will continue to put into the game.

• SkillgannonSkillgannon Member UncommonPosts: 16

I like this feature and are looking forward to it :-)

The game has some things that i dont like but thats normal imo.

Originally posted by Boltonsquad

Because it's clearly from a troll trying to stir up something that isn't there, there is no P2W, there is however a pay to progress faster than other players which is "your" choice.

I have already paid for the 65 euro founder pack does that make me paying to win, of course not.

It allows me to pay a company for the efforts they have put into the game and will continue to put into the game.

Could you please provide me your definition of pay-2-win?  Thanks.

"Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

Doh!  Double Post.  Nothing to see here.  Please move along.

• BoltonsquadBoltonsquad Member UncommonPosts: 403

My definition of pay 2 win would be items which would give you a distinct advanage in PvP over other players at endgame.

There is no such thing as pay 2 win in PvE because surely if one person has bought all the best gear with real money it would only help you, your guild or party.

My definition of pay 2 win would be items which would give you a distinct advanage in PvP over other players at endgame.

There is no such thing as pay 2 win in PvE because surely if one person has bought all the best gear with real money it would only help you, your guild or party.

So using the cash shop in Skyforge, as subscribers, I can continue to buy as much gold as I want but you would be limited by a gold cap unless you also spent money so I could easily buy better armor and weapons than you.  You could never catch up to me because your weekly gold limit is capped but as long as I spend real money, I am not capped.  How is that not pay-2-win as defined by you?  Unless at endgame you have the absolute best gear available, I will always have better gear than you because I will have more gold.

Source:

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/1071/view/forums/thread/429671/Pay2Win-discussing-it-is-a-bannable-offense.html

• MilkbzyMilkbzy Member UncommonPosts: 14

So using the cash shop in Skyforge, as subscribers, I can continue to buy as much gold as I want but you would be limited by a gold cap unless you also spent money so I could easily buy better armor and weapons than you.  You could never catch up to me because your weekly gold limit is capped but as long as I spend real money, I am not capped.  How is that not pay-2-win as defined by you?  Unless at endgame you have the absolute best gear available, I will always have better gear than you because I will have more gold.

Source:

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/1071/view/forums/thread/429671/Pay2Win-discussing-it-is-a-bannable-offense.html

Is there infinite progression in Skyforge or something?  He'll catch up with you eventually if that's not the case. Granted that is bordering on p2w, although it does depend on exactly how much of an advantage you are gaining.  These games have to monetize somehow and they probably feel that purely cosmetic items are not enough.  I'd prefer to pass judgement after actually experiencing their cash shop first hand.

• ShadowdawnzShadowdawnz Member UncommonPosts: 201

I could be wrong but I believe the term Pay-2-Win is synonymous to paying money for any sort of advantage in game. I don't think it matters whether it is pvp or pve. If I pay $20 for "Epic Sword of god" and it's the best weapon in game, that would be Pay 2 win on all levels. Since everyone else has to grind for it. 

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    Originally posted by Shadowdawnz

I could be wrong but I believe the term Pay-2-Win is synonymous to paying money for any sort of advantage in game. I don't think it matters whether it is pvp or pve. If I pay $20 for "Epic Sword of god" and it's the best weapon in game, that would be Pay 2 win on all levels. Since everyone else has to grind for it. 

That's what it originally referred to, but now people say P2W when referring to any convenience items.

P2W originally meant paying real money for higher stats on gear.

• WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,364

saying Skyforge is P2W because ppl that pay can advance faster...is the same as saying that any F2p with sub option is p2w because subs get more xp , gold or their mount are faster!

see : TERA , rift or Eq2 ect

if they are P2W is for other reasons if any at all.

• Aison2Aison2 Member CommonPosts: 624
    Originally posted by Skuall

saying Skyforge is P2W because ppl that pay can advance faster...is the same as saying that any F2p with sub option is p2w because subs get more xp , gold or their mount are faster!see : TERA , rift or Eq2 ectif they are P2W is for other reasons if any at all.

Well it's true. If you wish to pvp and use pay2progress options you increase your chances to win unless there is a matchmaking system that only gives equal opponents. So you pay2win with pay2progress.

Doesn't matter if it's leveling faster and getting a lvl advantage over peers or getting ahead in gear. The only pay2progress option that wouldn't be pay2win is fluff stuff that doesn't affect combat.

Pi*1337/100 = 42

• toastngravytoastngravy Wizard 101 CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 80

I admit it's disappointing to see such a cool content update delve into an unrelated discussion immediately, but  let me clear up some confusion.

In Skyforge, options exist (via the premium status) to progress your  character faster. Skyforge has no numerical leveling system., instead going with a "Prestige" system that acts as a way to track the overall progress of the player and therefor you can, in theory, progress indefinitely.  Caps are in place preventing the gain of certain resources on a weekly basis, such as sparks of insight, which are then replaced with other helpful items for you to gain. These caps, if not completed, are carried over to the next week so you don't lose anything by not playing. What this means is that a person who spends no money and a player that spends money will reach the same caps, the latter will just reach this sooner. 

There, also, currently exists the ability to trade Argents (money) for in game credits within the RU Version of the game. Credits are used, as far as player progression, in a few instances such as the upgrading equipment and pantheons. One could consider this an issue if that were the only thing required to upgrade these. Equipment, for example, requires certain items to upgrade to the next rank that can only be obtained by actually playing the game. This is true for everything (that I'm personally aware of) that uses credits. To fully upgrade your character you will be required to actively play the game, the purchase of credits gives you a convenience in this regard.

Your overall progress( prestige) comes from three categories; Your progress in the Ascension Atlas, Equipment, and the Order system. Consider it a roughly 1/3 split between each of these. Having better equipment does not, like most games, actually make you "better" exactly. Let's say two players are at 10k (arbitrary number). One of them likes running very hard content and therefor has very rare equipment for their main, offhand, or ring slots. The other doesn't do as much high end content but instead focuses on the order system in their free-time. Both players are evenly matched despite their progression paths being a bit different.

All of that said, in PvP scenarios you will always be matched with those of similar prestige as you. Meaning for those that increase in prestige a little faster than another player, they will be matched against others of the same "level".  So while you are unable to do a direct purchase for a direct advantage, those that choose to increase their progression rate will not interfere with your enjoyment of the game. When you eventually catch up to them, the playing field will still be equal and will be determined by personal ability, not who spent more.

I said a lot more than I intended, so I apologize for anything I missed or worded in a confusing way.  I hope this cleared some of the misunderstandings/misinterpretations I saw posted here. Invasions look really cool! Make sure you watch the video at the very least, if not read the article its self. 

• Topher85Topher85 Member Posts: 1
    Very well put toastngravy. I very much enjoy the model of splitting progression into the three slots. It provides many different options in how you want to play the game and you can excel in something you enjoy rather than just being a hard core raider etc...