Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Camelot Unchained: Anxiously Waiting

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

This is a new experience for me. I’ve been given a chance, one that I take very seriously, to be a representative of both MMORPG.com and the Camelot Unchained community. I thought long and hard about integrity, and the challenge of walking the line between a fanboy and critical writer and I decided it was one I could walk…hopefully!

Read more of Timothy Eisenzimmer's Camelot Unchained: Anxiously Waiting.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• snoockysnoocky Member UncommonPosts: 724

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.

Edgar Allan Poe

• TigsKCTigsKC Member UncommonPosts: 187
    Well done!  I am very much looking forward to your future columns!
  • MarkJacobsMarkJacobs CEO City State EntertainmentMember RarePosts: 649

You're off to a good start! But in all honesty, I expected nothing less.

Will be a fun ride. :)

Mark Jacobs
    CEO, City State Entertainment

• ZubeiiZubeii Member UncommonPosts: 28
    Very good.
  • AlomarAlomar Member RarePosts: 1,299
    Agree on everything said, I was in the same boat pre-CU Kickstarter and I view MMO's the same way as a hardcore pvper. I also long for the days of old-school sandbox mmo's and I missed out on the same titles in their "prime/launch". Looking forward to more worthwhile articles.
    Haxus Council Member
    21  year MMO veteran 
    PvP Raid Leader 
    Lover of The Witcher & CD Projekt Red
  • ComafComaf Member UncommonPosts: 1,150
    I missed it in the read (from work, so...) but were you ever  a Dark Age of Camelot gamer?  If so, that will give you a stronger perspective on the potential of Camelot Unchained (for good or for bad...and hopefully, despite the cartoony races, for the former).

• JamesGoblinJamesGoblin Member RarePosts: 1,242
    Talking about Warhammer, I also miss my Greenskins :)  Let`s hope that Mark will capture bit of WAR`s magic in CU!
     W...aaagh?
  • ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392

Camelot UNCHAINED is the mmog I'm most interested in. I'm very pleased  that you will be bring us  information and critique regarding the game.

My advice......more is better !

Bring  on with the information !

• ButeoRegalisButeoRegalis Member UncommonPosts: 594
    If you missed the later months of GW2's WvW - after the fixes and performance improvements - I feel sad for you. Very, very sad.

• EdanyEdany Member UncommonPosts: 179
    Just thought I'd stop by to say congratulations on this new endeavor - I know you'll continue to churn out quality content that I'm most eager to read. 
  • NanulakNanulak Member UncommonPosts: 372

Very good read.  CU really caught my attention when I saw they planned on bringing back an old school RvR game.  A game without all of the hand holding of modern theme park mmo's.  A game where you are what you do and not just a number that others define you by.

The more I discovered about what they were planning the more I became interested.

Ever since DAOC (my first mmo) I have wandered the wastelands of increasing easier mm game play.  Granted at first I liked the new hand holding features as mechanics to make my life simpler but over time it got to the point where I was not playing the game but in face the game was playing me.  To better explain, my entire existence in the game was preplanned and laid out in front of me and all I was doing is paying the publisher for the experiance. 

I just hope CU succeeds in bringing back an old school game where I have to make the decisions for my character and not a script developed by a programmer.

And Thanks for taking your time to bring us this bi-weekly rant :)

Nanulak

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026

Likely my next play session in any mmo will be when CU beta hits. This game is turning into something completely original in so many areas even outside of the RvR concept. I hope it all comes together well.

I am completely burned out with the usual themepark treadmills. I do not even have a single game on my hard drive anymore. This gives me plenty of time to start up our new D&D 5e campaign and give the proverbial "FUCK YOU" to the current mmo industry.

I'll be back when mmorpgs are released worth playing. It may be too much of a hope and a dream for many but CU and Pantheon both have my interest although I am less knowledgeable about Pantheon's current development. I can only believe the progress they say they are making as truth for now. CU though simply appears to be a whole lot of fun both watching the team progress and the facts of the game thus far.

You stay sassy!

• MentalliMentalli Member Posts: 2
    You explained that well and it included many familiar details to my own path of MMO interests and experiences.  DAOC was my second MMO after EverQuest and holy crap did it keep my attention. I must have quit DAOC to try new games like SWG and WoW about 5 or 6 times. Nothing ever compared to it though and much like new girlfriends -  the others were only fun for a month or two. I am currently Alpha testing for CU and I have been enjoying the community and following along as the game develops. I will surely be keeping up with this column as well.
  • sylvaanasylvaana Member Posts: 2
    Well put good Sir, well put :) 
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Congratz, all the best! :-)

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• Captain-Nemo82Captain-Nemo82 Member Posts: 1
    I still have big doubts about this game. I really want it to succeed because I've been waiting for a proper DAOC game for a decade now. Still I can't shake off the doubts every time the devs release news.
  • CymorilCymoril Member UncommonPosts: 16

Ive been around since UO first launched. GL server player here. Did DAOC for 5 years and had plenty of promises from Mythic on fixing things only to ignore the problems and release more content and add more bugs that didn't get fixed right away. I tried WOW for about a year and a half and if it wasn't for mods I wouldn't have stayed that long. I left it for WAR and I do agree with you, the one thing they did do right was the greenskin humor.

Once I played my squid herder, I was hooked and had to play an orc/goblin for as many classes as possible. I had high hopes for that game but they adopted the DAOC method of balance, fix as little as possible and release more content/bugs and (in my opinion- as long as the devs play, ignore the balance until they get bored then fix it and unbalance the next thing they choose to play)

I will keep an eye out for your unbiased article but after purchasing 2 Mythic games that MJ was apart of that let things slide I wasn't an optimist about this one but a "void" for MMO gaming is deffinately there in my life as well that I hope to fill. I will wait until a month or 2 after it comes out and watch articles about the game before I purchase another project he heads. I have tried to watch the video of CU and listen to him but all he seems to do is help me out with my sleep apniea and knock me out real fast." Buehler, Buehler, -doo economics... anybody ?" I think of Ferris Buehler's Day Off with how dull and monotone his videos are for my tastes. 

• Charlie.CheswickCharlie.Cheswick Member UncommonPosts: 469
    Hey Goose, you big stud! Take me to bed or lose me forever!
    -Chuckles
  • FoggyeFoggye Member UncommonPosts: 96

Yeah, sometimes people get those rose-colored glasses when thinking of DAoC, or in juxtaposition tunnel vision.  So Tim should be able to give the game commentary without putting any parallels to DAoC; which much of the niche market that the game will appeal to will do.  Though, he'll shamelessly will bring up SWG :P

Good article.  MMORPG is in good hands.
  • WolvanWolvan Member Posts: 49
    Us old school mmo players are pinning our hopes on CU. Started playing Asherons Call and Eq (on Pvp server) back in 2000, then DAOC from release for many years (Perc!) Wow for years, but nothing else has managed to capture me for more than a few months. Now I play fps on my pc waiting and hoping.

• ragz45ragz45 Member UncommonPosts: 810
    Originally posted by Foggye

Yeah, sometimes people get those rose-colored glasses when thinking of DAoC, or in juxtaposition tunnel vision.  So Tim should be able to give the game commentary without putting any parallels to DAoC; which much of the niche market that the game will appeal to will do.  Though, he'll shamelessly will bring up SWG :P

LoL as long as he doesn't replace constant parallels with DAOC, with constant parallels with SGW  :)

• FoggyeFoggye Member UncommonPosts: 96
    Originally posted by ragz45
    Originally posted by Foggye

LoL as long as he doesn't replace constant parallels with DAOC, with constant parallels with SGW  :)

True enough good sir, but SWG is an excellent example of open world gaming.   Like DAoC is the target example for RvR.  Ideally, I hope there's a lot of good parallels, with a mix of it's own merits.  I'm particularly excited that it's a 100% server side physics game, so that opens a lot of good for CU to be it's own game despite it's obvious influences.

• pioanstefanpioanstefan Member UncommonPosts: 15
    pvp is your play style and u play pve games. nice one
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Why all the negatives with DAoC comparison?  DAoC was one of the best pvp experiences in the genre until it they mucked it up with overpowered  skills.  With the team they have in place, there will be many similarities.

Just have to wait and see what they eventually produce, I have great hopes for this game.

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392

DAOC is the reigning king of faction vs faction conflict...in my opinion.

There have been lots of pretenders. NONE have surpassed  DAOC for faction vs faction warfare.

I really hope CAMELOT UNCHAINED is successful in claiming the faction vs faction crown.

Unfortunately we are talking 2016,before deciding which game will wear the crown.