Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EverQuest Next: Smedley Reassures Fans that EQN Development Continues

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Daybreak Game Company CEO John Smedley has gone on record as saying that EverQuest Next is not vaporware and that development continues on the next chapter in the long-running series of games.

“When we are ready to show it,” he said, “I think you guys are going to get blown away by a combination of what we’ve done and what our users have done.” Hopefully that’ll be sooner rather than later. As for those who claim that EQN is just vaporware, Smedley answered, “Whatever. Look at our company’s history — we are not about vaporware. We deliver.”

Check out the full interview that shines the spotlight on Daybreak and its journey from SOE to DGC at MassivelyOP.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    And we all believe his word, right?
  • n3v3rriv3rn3v3rriv3r Member UncommonPosts: 496
    Originally posted by flizzer

Fatality! 10/10

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

I hope they pull it off and shock the gaming world. That would be a Cinderella story.

• vesuviasvesuvias Member UncommonPosts: 151
    Originally posted by SBFord

Daybreak Game Company CEO John Smedley has gone on record as saying that EverQuest Next is not vaporware and that development continues on the next chapter in the long-running series of games.

“When we are ready to show it,” he said, “I think you guys are going to get blown away by a combination of what we’ve done and what our users have done.” Hopefully that’ll be sooner rather than later. As for those who claim that EQN is just vaporware, Smedley answered, “Whatever. Look at our company’s history — we are not about vaporware. We deliver.”

Does talking this way impress anyone or endear him to anyone? Is his target audience the type that tend to follow the biggest puffy chest blowhard? It just strikes one as extremely unprofessional and low brow. By all means talk up your product but acting like a pro wrestler isn't exactly the behavior that gives me confidence in a CEO.

• AsboAsbo Member UncommonPosts: 812

Personally I think that the investors will see through Smedley and remove him from his post, he has been sat there far too long and in my opinion it is time for someone younger and with more vision to step up and start to pump some new ideas into a dying game system. He has spent far to much time and money on H1Z1 which has taken focus away from the core gaming with in the company. 

Had they used these resources to work on EQN then maybe we would be playing that now rather than siting here scratching our heads asking wtf is going on. Staff cut backs are having an impact on core games which pay their wages and lack of customer support is the start of the decline. I predict that give it twelve months and we will see this come to a sad end unless he is removed once and for all.

The only reason he has given this statement is because he realised that he goofed on reddit, thankfully he has no control or is unable to edit or delete post unlike they do on the Game Da break forums it's becoming like little Russia on there now.

Asbo

• biblestudybiblestudy Member UncommonPosts: 11
    Originally posted by NightBandit

He has spent far to much time and money on H1Z1 which has taken focus away from the core gaming with in the company. 

Had they used these resources to work on EQN then maybe we would be playing that now rather than siting here scratching our heads asking wtf is going on. 

To be fair, H1Z1 has seen incredible success.  Is it not logical for them to focus more energy into a title that is actively generating money while they transition away from SOE?

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937

It's hard because weren't they working on a spy mmo which they then decided NOT to do.

So in truth we can't believe his word as they do have at least one game that became vaporware.

Still, This is their main franchise so I would find it hard to believe that they would discontinue it. Especially when there is a "somewhat" built in fan base.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • AsboAsbo Member UncommonPosts: 812
    Originally posted by biblestudy

He has spent far to much time and money on H1Z1 which has taken focus away from the core gaming with in the company. 

Had they used these resources to work on EQN then maybe we would be playing that now rather than siting here scratching our heads asking wtf is going on. 

To be fair, H1Z1 has seen incredible success.  Is it not logical for them to focus more energy into a title that is actively generating money while they transition away from SOE?

He's done the same with H1Z1 as he did with EQN taken money up front and while he has got away with it twice now people will judge him on results I don't see any results which impress me. As for it being a success how so hackers in game lies about what they would do so if that's success then bah!!!  Like we need another post apocalypse game to put next to the other carp out there. same old same old in my opinion. 

What constitutes success, I'd say a game running for 16 years plus does but how do you keep a company with ethics providing products for paying customer but use rhetoric to keep your customers quite. The day they went to steam was the day these people signed up with the devil so they could keep a passive income filling their pockets, they don't give a shit about their customers just their own job end of. 

Asbo

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991

“When we are ready to show it,” he said, “I think you guys are going to get blown away by a combination of what we’ve done and what our users have done.”

Oh? So, you guys have completely scrapped the craptastic children's cartoon Lego action romper, and made an immersive, epic experience for fans of the franchise who were born before EQ1 released?

Good to hear!

Joined - July 2004

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    Originally posted by remyburke

“When we are ready to show it,” he said, “I think you guys are going to get blown away by a combination of what we’ve done and what our users have done.”

Oh? So, you guys have completely scrapped the craptastic children's cartoon Lego action romper, and made an immersive, epic experience for fans of the franchise who were born before EQ1 released?

Good to hear!

Me thinks you are in for a  bit of a disappointment. 

• Scott_JeslisScott_Jeslis Member RarePosts: 627
    Originally posted by vesuvias

Okay I'm not a mean person but I just had to say the obvious.... does Daybreak Game Company "technically" have a "history"??? :-) SOE maybe but not Daybreak yet.

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,963
    Originally posted by biblestudy

You can practically shovel shit (and many studios actually do) put Zombie Survival stamp on it, and it will sell like hotcakes.

SOE allready had engine, and they had few developers. Its perfect way to make money from nothing

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,963

As for those who claim that EQN is just vaporware, Smedley answered, “Whatever. Look at our company’s history — we are not about vaporware. We deliver.”

What company? You fired everyone.

• cylon8cylon8 Member UncommonPosts: 362
    H1z1 will make them more money than all their wxisting games combined. If anythng they should have skipped landmark entirely and dropped deagons nest from their roster. Lanmark should have been rebranded as free realms 2 a property that was loved by alot of gamers

so say we all

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,610

Smed is a little off the cuff and willing to make a guess on release dates even when his staff will not. But why would he lie about this? IMO its more valid to ask if the game will be good then question if they have been lying all this time and not really making EQN. Why would they spend all that money on Twitch streams for weekly updates? Take up dev time? 

http://massivelyop.com/2015/05/06/daybreaks-john-smedley-everquest-next-isnt-vaporware/

Was a good read.

• RadixMalorumRadixMalorum Member UncommonPosts: 143
    "blown away" as in "pushed away" ?
  • MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614

"Read my lips!"

"no-more-taxes!"

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141

Because SWG players can "come home again".  To the Zombie apocalypse.........

And now were all going to be "blown away"  by what's coming next.

Hehe guy is something else, really.

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806

Knowing Smed, he most likely has such an ironclad contract, with so many nasty teeth, that it was just easier and cheaper to not try to remove him.

As for EQN, I doubt its going to be more than a pale shadow of what it was originally envisioned to be.  But suits only care about the bottom line, in any event.

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • reeereeereeereee Member UncommonPosts: 1,636

Does talking this way impress anyone or endear him to anyone? Is his target audience the type that tend to follow the biggest puffy chest blowhard? It just strikes one as extremely unprofessional and low brow. By all means talk up your product but acting like a pro wrestler isn't exactly the behavior that gives me confidence in a CEO.

Considering that he is trying to get people to pay over $100 for alpha access to a game that he just fired most of the employees working on... trying to act cocky might be the only card he has to play.

Also the part where he alludes to Landmark player creations being part of it makes me think the game is going to suck.  Not that what people are doing in Landmark is bad... it's just what I've seen of it is not the quality of work I would expect from a AAA MMO.

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,610
    Originally posted by reeereee

Considering that he is trying to get people to pay over $100 for alpha access to a game that he just fired most of the employees working on... trying to act cocky might be the only card he has to play.

Also the part where he alludes to Landmark player creations being part of it makes me think the game is going to suck.  Not that what people are doing in Landmark is bad... it's just what I've seen of it is not the quality of work I would expect from a AAA MMO.

Then you have been looking in the wrong places. The contest winners work is just down right awesome. Also the players have taught DGC Devs a lot of things about the new voxel farm system. They have pushed it in directions not even the creator of voxel farms knew it could do. 

EDIT: Here is a link to a winners competition. What they are saying does not matter. The slide show in the background is what you want to watch. First 1/2 is the winners, second 1/2 is the runners up. Video starts at about 9 min in.

http://www.twitch.tv/everquestnext/v/4294899

• kellian1kellian1 Member UncommonPosts: 237

If Smedley says it, it must be true...right!!!

As Gorilla Monsoon would say he's a "fountain of misinformation"

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

Smed or not, it is hard to believe in a MMO, which is in development for years with one or more mayor reset, and we haven't seen ANYTHING from it. We only see Landmark. I admit I have a little bit lost faith in it. I am ready to be convinced of the better when it is revealed. But right now, I feel like "meh" about the whole thing.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916

Why do I find anything he says about as reassuring as...

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• ArchlyteArchlyte Member RarePosts: 1,405

I believe him if he says its still coming out. I don't believe him when he states that we will be "blown away," unless he means forcefully moved elsewhere. The inclusion of Landmark stuff created by players does nothing to bolster his statements.

Maybe I missed it, but who was clamoring for Show Us More of How the Public is Making this Game? That part of his statement is just plain scary

MMORPG players are often like Hobbits: They don't like Adventures