Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] WildStar: A First Look at INVASION: Nexus

BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

WildStar’s latest game update, INVASION: Nexus should continue that trend and have something for everyone. We recently had a chance to take a look at some of the goodies coming in today’s game update, so let’s go over a couple of the highlights.

Read more of Michael Bitton's WildStar: A Look at INVASION: Nexus.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

Comments

• SaluteSalute Member UncommonPosts: 795
    Nice Patch!!!

All Time Favorites: EQ1, WoW, EvE, GW1
    Playing Now: WoW, ESO, GW2

• butchograndebutchogrande Member UncommonPosts: 23
    I really dont know. An empty game is mostly an empty game, Invasion or not. And we play MMO games mostly because MM means = "more people to play with" isnt happening for W*
  • goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141

I'm rooting for these guys.  Game is so polished.   Maybe the game concepts in general aren't that original but what is at the moment?  When I look at all the half baked MMO's out there I scratch my head and wonder why anyone would waste time on something that was just tossed together on the MMO production line over something so well built like Wildstar.  Artwork, animations, everyone just super polished AAA quality.

I guess some people would rather play a terrible game for free over spending any money at all on something polished.    To me time is more valuable than money.  And spending time playing bad F2P games just to be "gaming" makes little to no sense to me .  If this game was free you would have 500,000 to a million people downloading and playing.  But ask some people to pay for a game and its like " No way dude, computer games shouldn't cost you anything if you want to play them, let someone else pay "  I seriously don't understand it, at all.  It must be because the majority of the F2P player base is simply in school or cash strapped.

Glad to see the content continues to flow in.

• goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    Originally posted by butchogrande
    I really dont know. An empty game is mostly an empty game, Invasion or not. And we play MMO games mostly because MM means = "more people to play with" isnt happening for W*

Everyone is on one server now.  Population is fine.

• vtravivtravi Member UncommonPosts: 398
    It is the best MMO on the market and only getting better. I just dont have time to play now. 
  • SaluteSalute Member UncommonPosts: 795
    Originally posted by goboygo

Population is indeed in a much better state than in the past few months, but tbh i don't care much about that. Its not that i don't want many ppl in my mmo. Sure i want them. But considering WS (as any other newly released mmo) will eventually go B2P/F2P, then i want it to be as good as it gets before the transition.

So, what matters to me is having a good game and WS with every patch is getting better and better. I can say that WS is easily one of the top 3 themeparks in the market. New and returning ppl will arive when it gets B2P, thats the easy part. The hard one is having a good game and imo Carbine after almost a year of great efforts, can at last be proud about WS.

All Time Favorites: EQ1, WoW, EvE, GW1
    Playing Now: WoW, ESO, GW2

• InfiniteStrifeInfiniteStrife Member UncommonPosts: 36

It truly baffles me how this mmo ever got into being- how can people still pay for this trash combat?

I mean...its probably one of the worst, boring combat designs ive ever played in an MMO

I played WS at launch and dont tell me it has changed because it hasnt...its disgusting that people pay for such low quality...heck Id rather even sit and play ESO than this yawn-aoe-fixated "combat" ugh.

• KaladinKaladin Member Posts: 468
    Originally posted by InfiniteStrife

It truly baffles me how this mmo ever got into being- how can people still pay for this trash combat?

I mean...its probably one of the worst, boring combat designs ive ever played in an MMO

I played WS at launch and dont tell me it has changed because it hasnt...its disgusting that people pay for such low quality...heck Id rather even sit and play ESO than this yawn-aoe-fixated "combat" ugh.

You played a different Wildstar than anybody else.  Loads of people don't like action combat, nor telegraphed combat, but you might be the first to say that it is boring in Wildstar.  Unless of course, you didn't actually play it, or if you did, you did not do a dungeon.

Anybody who judges a game's combat in the introductory levels will never find an MMO that will be engaging, ever.

I can fly higher than an aeroplane.
    And I have the voice of a thousand hurricanes.
    Hurt - Wars

• StoneRosesStoneRoses Member RarePosts: 1,779
    Originally posted by Kaladin
    Originally posted by InfiniteStrife

You played a different Wildstar than anybody else.  Loads of people don't like action combat, nor telegraphed combat, but you might be the first to say that it is boring in Wildstar.  Unless of course, you didn't actually play it, or if you did, you did not do a dungeon.

Anybody who judges a game's combat in the introductory levels will never find an MMO that will be engaging, ever.

First 2 dungeons are no walk in the park!!!

I think it's fucking hilarious that Telegraph is insulting, but modded games with timers and BIG ASS ICONS are perfectly acceptable!

MMORPGs aren't easy, You're just too PRO!
  • ElethonElethon Member UncommonPosts: 138
    It looks like dying armor is still ridiculously expensive, at least judging by that first screenshot
  • johnnychangsjohnnychangs Member UncommonPosts: 261
    I'll be back when they offer free time to prior subscribers.
  • rmk70rmk70 Member UncommonPosts: 408
    Only one PvE and one PvP server isn't a good sign... 
  • BitripBitrip Member UncommonPosts: 279
    Originally posted by rmk70

Your words will fall on deaf ears. People like what they like, and if you don't like what they like, they don't like you... There is no point trying to rationalize with someone who likes a certain game. They will defend it to the teeth. 

Now, which one of you will adorn me today?

Wildstar has been this way since about a month after launch on a Megaserver switch they planned on doing regardless of population.

Hurt - Wars

Originally posted by johnnychangs
    I'll be back when they offer free time to prior subscribers.

There is a free 10 day trial, including prior subscribers.  Enough time to buy a CREDD and play for free until you get enough plat to buy another month.  And...go.

Hurt - Wars

• WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,363

pvp server is empty so only 1 server

• EponyxDamorEponyxDamor Member RarePosts: 749

Wildstar has been this way since about a month after launch on a Megaserver switch they planned on doing regardless of population.

I'm a huge fan of Wildstar, but I have to laugh every time I read this in response to low population/low server count. Also, megaservers didn't happen until around Drop 3 or so ... Not one month after launch. It only happened in response to such a vanishing population and panic over completely empty servers. There's nothing "mega" about the "mega"servers. There are so few players on the PvP servers that guilds are essentially non-existent (one or two for each faction, at most), and every time I hear someone mention queue times you get this response:

"You're not playing at exactly prime time, on the correct server, as the correct class, on the correct faction to get a queue pop. It's your fault for choosing the incorrect combination."

Wildstar might be making a slow return, and patches like this help a lot, but don't be delusional about it. There's nothing "mega" about the "mega"servers. When you're basically told to play on X server as Y faction with Z class to get a group or actually run into people ... There's something very very wrong with your population.

I'd gladly return to Wildstar if they ever made it more alt-friendly. Currently, there's absolutely zero replay value for me since I already hit level 50 and cleared both GA and DS. Not to mention the vast amount of time between content updates ... 3-4 months of $15 a month is enough to buy a new AAA title. $60 for updates like this are hilarious, and many other P2P MMOs offer far more content at a quicker rate or lower price.

Also, I don't think a few PvP zones are going to completely revitalize the PvP/servers like people claim ... I think they'd have been far better off spending that time on just flat-out closing the PvP servers, since the population is so low that it can't even support AH/CX/CREDD functions properly.

• Kunai_VaxKunai_Vax Member RarePosts: 527
    Originally posted by EponyxDamor

I'm a huge fan of Wildstar, but I have to laugh every time I read this in response to low population/low server count. Also, megaservers didn't happen until around Drop 3 or so ... Not one month after launch. It only happened in response to such a vanishing population and panic over completely empty servers. There's nothing "mega" about the "mega"servers. There are so few players on the PvP servers that guilds are essentially non-existent (one or two for each faction, at most), and every time I hear someone mention queue times you get this response:

"You're not playing at exactly prime time, on the correct server, as the correct class, on the correct faction to get a queue pop. It's your fault for choosing the incorrect combination."

Wildstar might be making a slow return, and patches like this help a lot, but don't be delusional about it. There's nothing "mega" about the "mega"servers. When you're basically told to play on X server as Y faction with Z class to get a group or actually run into people ... There's something very very wrong with your population.

I'd gladly return to Wildstar if they ever made it more alt-friendly. Currently, there's absolutely zero replay value for me since I already hit level 50 and cleared both GA and DS. Not to mention the vast amount of time between content updates ... 3-4 months of $15 a month is enough to buy a new AAA title. $60 for updates like this are hilarious, and many other P2P MMOs offer far more content at a quicker rate or lower price.

Also, I don't think a few PvP zones are going to completely revitalize the PvP/servers like people claim ... I think they'd have been far better off spending that time on just flat-out closing the PvP servers, since the population is so low that it can't even support AH/CX/CREDD functions properly.

This.

• sopukusopuku Member UncommonPosts: 55
    not everyone has money.. i live in a shitty country where our month salary is 200 euros.. to buy a game is expensive but possible. to pay every month is not possible.. so be happy that you live in normal country and have money..
  • ShaiapoufShaiapouf Member UncommonPosts: 53
    Perhaps when they finally make it B2P, I'll give this patch a try. We all know its coming, and if it doesn't...well, the games just gonna die out. The ones who play it may be fine with it, but if I remember correctly, a couple months ago it was doing -worse- than City of Heroes when it was shut down. A small buy loyal playerbase does not make a game healthy, unfortunately. With such high quality offerings its competing against, such as World of Warcraft and Final Fantasy XIV for subs, or even ESO and Guild Wars 2 for Buy to Play, its just so hard to justify the subscription fee from an overall standpoint.
  • EnikEnik Member UncommonPosts: 99
    Originally posted by goboygo

No, it's really not. I have an active sub and really enjoy the game, but what you may consider "fine" is not what the vast majority of people would consider fine.

• MysteryBMysteryB Member UncommonPosts: 355
    Wildstar is amazingly fun, PvP is competitive as can be, combat is very fast paced and fun, would have loved to see SWTOR try a combat system like this but instead they went with the same ol' tab targeting we been doing for 15 years, if you haven't played Wildstar I highly recommend it.

Mystery Bounty

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    I think this game will be another rebound title like SWTOR. The new payment model will make a HUGE difference in player population, and with all the huge changes made from the release, I see a big turnaround. 

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

Originally posted by Amjoco
    The new payment model will make a HUGE difference in player population, and with all the huge changes made from the release, I see a big turnaround. 

Which new payment model is this?  Where can I find details about it?

Hurt - Wars

• mrguderianmrguderian Member Posts: 7
    Originally posted by Amjoco
    The new payment model will make a HUGE difference in player population, and with all the huge changes made from the release, I see a big turnaround. 

Which new payment model is this?  Where can I find details about it?

Speculation based on removal of boxes from stores, some focusing on wardrobe and pets which is a mainstay of F2P/B2P monetization and apparently still low populations.

I played at release and tried again a few months ago but still isn't at where it needs to be for most people to give it a true shot. I think it needs a B2P model and some sort of expansion/progression reset so people can get into the game without having to slog to catch up.