Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Another try at Neverwinter

AthisarAthisar Member UncommonPosts: 666

I got a very good deal on a pack ages ago but didn't play for long, I got to level 30 or something. It's meant though I've got a ton of astral diamonds sitting around and I thought I'd give it another go.

I've noticed there's no community feel at all (probably because of the megaserver) and although the game seems quite well suited to solo play I like group content. What's a good way to find a guild? The chat is mostly looking for groups mixed with gold seller spam.

(I've started a new character, a paladin)

Comments

• giftedHorngiftedHorn Member UncommonPosts: 106

Run dungeons & talk to the people, and someone should throw you an invite.

Or try this site:

http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?694-Guild-Recruitment

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749

U16 just launched (I mean in LotRO) and you switch to Neverwinter? :)

Jokes aside, haven't played Neverwinter since the winter, but I used to seek out guild during the play when I was there. True, I prefer casual, fun guilds, not the ones call themselves hardcore :) In a couple days you can set up a list while queueing up for dungeons, who seems a good folk and who's a nice candidate for the ignore list, etc. Then you can ask around with the former ones, how is their guilds.

Maybe it's easier with a DC or a GF (at least back in the day it was), since the @player is what matters not the alt, and with DC and GF it's easier to get a group. Worst was my TR, I had a dungeon delve hour once, when my TR was in the queue and got no group for the whole hour... Way too many rogues.

• AthisarAthisar Member UncommonPosts: 666

I'm still playing LoTRO :) I'm playing more casually at the moment and I'm splitting my time between a couple of games, LoTRO, WoW and Neverwinter.

My original character was a cleric, but I ended up gaining loads of levels just by doing the log in, pray thing, log out. The amount of XP you got was stupid. I thought I'd try the new paladin since he can do a bit of everything.

My experience so far in dungeons and skirmishes is that nobody every speaks. That's using the pug tool of course.

Originally posted by Athisar

My experience so far in dungeons and skirmishes is that nobody every speaks. That's using the pug tool of course.

Yep, that's why I wrote I used to seek casual guilds, and that it's easy to spot the good folks :) though it sounds as the situation got worse since I left.

Back then it had the "mute" players too, but they weren't the majority, in most PUGs you could find at least 1 decent fellow. There were the extremes, of course, I think I even mentioned one in here earlier, it was fun: ported to the dungeon, I dropped in the usual "Hi guys", blam. Kicked out. Sent a tell, asking the reason, "dont waste our time with chat, n00b" :)

If PUGs are too quiet nowadays, you can still try the roleplay folks at the flying minibar (image), they usually have nice guilds. Events are good too, if you see players helping each other out, that indicates a friendly guild.

I've only done the lower level stuff so I guess it's mostly people with alts farming AD etc. I noticed that I could make 1,000 AD from a skirmish at level 6 which took about 3-4 mins to finish. Not surprisingly nobody's talking when they're that quick.

One thing that puts me off is that everything is so linear, at least up to where I've levelled. I'm used to more open world stuff. Does it change later?

One thing that puts me off is that everything is so linear, at least up to where I've levelled. I'm used to more open world stuff. Does it change later?

Yep, earning AD is not that hard, that's why the prices are so high :)

Linear feel, that's pretty much stays. True, I could be wrong in this, since after level 60 I mostly just played the festivals and the Foundry, never went further - actually my Hunter (the latest member of the fray) never even reached 60.

Whether Icewind Dale brought in more options or not, can't say. Up to 60 though, that's linear indeed. It's fun, some nice looking areas and pretty decent writing, but not much space for diversity or options.

Oh, and it's short, even moreso if you do skirmishes and dive into the professions too. 1 character was 1 (casual) month to reach 60... dunno if it was changed or not with Elemental Evil and the dungeons revamp.

edit: damn, with all these talk I start to miss the Enclave and the sour face of Neverember :) luckily there's U16 and also the course and helping new folks, so I'm busy enough with LotRO.

Story zones are linear but you get to leveling so fast that you can skip some of them, so you have some choices of which zone to quest in. Post 60 leveling zones you can also skip some areas depending on much you play versus how much XP you get from invoking or leadership. At max level, you can alternate between the different campaign zones or just do one at a time, which would take 20-30 minutes a day per character.
  • booniedog96booniedog96 Member UncommonPosts: 289
    Save yourself from the frustration and turn away from this game. This game has gone off a cliff since the Module 6 has been introduced. It's riddled with bugs and server stability for end game content is wonky at best. Play something else, I implore you.

So I'm level 60 now and here's what I've found so far. It's more a review, but I thought it'd be useful to give feedback.

The levelling experience isn't remotely grindy at all and doesn't require spending anything. Although the game isn't open world, it's really not much different as you're directed to certain different style zones at given levels, much as you are in WoW or Rift or whatever. There are more than enough quests for one character, enough that I've totally skipped several zones. Aside from the early quests (getting a bag and an artifact) it doesn't matter if you skip them.

PvP is a bit limited. There are only two small maps, and it's only 5v5. You gain glory (the PvP currency) quickly enough though, and you can buy reasonably good PvP gear with it.

Skirmishes can be fun and the queues are short. These vary in style, onslaught waves of enemies, or what amounts to a mini dungeon. They all have end bosses. 

Dungeons are enormously lacking right now. Only one dungeon all the way to level 40, and only 3 man. This part of the game is currently really poor. Apparently several dungeons were removed in the latest mod, though I don't know the reason.

A kind of end-game begins at level 26, where you can start doing daily quests to get special gear, special bonuses, and end game currency. This is brilliant, as it scales well, helps with the game later, and it involves fighting different dragons, usually in free form groups of 15-20 people.

Visually the game is impressive. Performance is very good. It's heavily instanced as it's a megaserver, but zone chat covers all instances, meaning people can arrange groups or transfer instance to special events (e.g. dragons) easily. As I've found with most megaserver games, it makes social aspects more difficult.

This all applies to pre-end game (you can start at 60, but it's aimed at 70). So I haven't commented on the various campaigns (there are several). I gather this is where people find the game more grindy.

So far overall I'd strongly recommend the game to casual players who enjoy varied levelling content, with the reservation about dungeons currently. You can completely ignore the store. Since I've not done end game yet, that remains to be seen.

• KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    I wanted to like it since I LOVE the forgotten realms...but it has the same problem as TERA and ESO in the combat.  No weight to anything.  You can have a burly fighter with a greatsword hacking away at an enemy and it doesn't even flinch unless you use a CC ability.
  • Mondo80Mondo80 Member UncommonPosts: 194
    my only complaint I have on this game is that I got hacked twice on it, whoever is doing it only seems to taking all my astral diamonds.  Nothing else, they just convert whatever zen i have into AD and then its gone.
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    You were saying there was only 1 dungeon up until 40? I'm pretty sure last time I played I did at least 2 different dungeons (not skirmishes or the small queues) before level 30. So maybe you just missed a couple on the way up?
  • jitter77jitter77 Member UncommonPosts: 512

I enjoyed neverwinter, at least the leveling up process, but I hit a wall.  It was near immpossible to find groups for the elite / hard mode dungeons whatever they were called.  Once I got to a certain point my neverwinter experience consisted of logging in, doing dailies, and then begging people in chat for a group fo an hour. 

Another problem I had was that I was in a guild, but they would exploit the dungeons and i did not like that and left.  At one point I would say like 75% of the groups I got into tried or wanted to run the exploits for various dungeons.  I have not played in a while so I am hoping they are patched out. 

Originally posted by Panther2103
    You were saying there was only 1 dungeon up until 40? I'm pretty sure last time I played I did at least 2 different dungeons (not skirmishes or the small queues) before level 30. So maybe you just missed a couple on the way up?

They changed this in Mod 6. No more Cloak Tower, no more Lair of the Mad Dragon. Unless they've restored the dungeons?

Originally posted by jitter77

I enjoyed neverwinter, at least the leveling up process, but I hit a wall.  It was near immpossible to find groups for the elite / hard mode dungeons whatever they were called.  Once I got to a certain point my neverwinter experience consisted of logging in, doing dailies, and then begging people in chat for a group fo an hour. 

Another problem I had was that I was in a guild, but they would exploit the dungeons and i did not like that and left.  At one point I would say like 75% of the groups I got into tried or wanted to run the exploits for various dungeons.  I have not played in a while so I am hoping they are patched out. 

Yes, cheaters / exploiters badly outnumbered honest players when I played. Cryptic did fix a lot of the exploits, but to guarantee an exploit-free run, try using the "legit" channel:

http://www.nwlegitcommunity.shivtr.com/
    In terms of dungeons, there's just one until 40, then an extra one going up to 60. The game makes gear pretty useless though, crafted stuff (except rare  ones) are often worse than the stuff that drops from generic mobs, and you can always buy perfectly decent stuff from AH for hardly any AD (a lot of stuff under 100). I know it's different after 60, but in terms of levelling gear is a waste of time.
  • imenthiximenthix Member UncommonPosts: 5

Finally I found the place to tell my thoughts about the game.

First of all I started the game at Beta, but I didn't liked it that much compared to the game I played at that time. I don't remember what was it tho... but I do remember that the game looked great, I just didn't liked the non-open world figure of it.

Then I returned to the game last year with my friends (I had a wizard on beta but I wanted to be a tank) and started my Guardian.

I don't remember ANY other class in my MMORPGaming history that I liked so much as the GF.

The reason for that? Blocking! Finally an mmorpg, a game that made a REAL tank with a shield that not just add some armor, but works like a real shield. Blocking all the way, playing with tactics and not just smashing the buttons for incredible dps and 2 hitting everything in my path *sigh*. Grouping up with friends while I go and block the ass off that damn boss. IT WAS AMAZING!

Then came a patch. I remember I was in the middle of an underground something area around level 50 maybe. I logged in as usually. I didn't even cared about the patch notes I just wanted to go and have some fun.

I logged in and die. What the fuck? I couldn't block anything anymore. I thought I messed up the buttons or something, but no.

Checked the patch notes and saw they ruined my character. 

They said oh, it's all right 'cause we added some damage instead. WHO, the fuck CARES? I'm a tank, I'm no god damn dps. I wanted my block back. Plus the -80% dmg didnt even worked well, I sucked in all dmg while holding up the shield, it made no sense anymore. I logged in for a few weeks hoped for a re-think but never gained anymore xp. 

I seriously never had a better character, it wasn't even maxlevel, but gosh it played sooooo well.

I miss it a lot. 

You got any ideas what game should I play? 

I started Tera a week ago. Good-good, but I miss the Guardian a lot :/

p.s.: the worst of it, that my friends liked the game too (we were always on the open-world side but this was an exception) but they left too 'cause I refused to play.

Another update to this.

I'm now level 70 (cap) and so have been doing end game stuff for a bit.

While there is quite a lot to do, I guess you can summarise the problems in a word, grind. Upgrading gear requires so much refining that you're either grinding to get astral diamonds to buy the stuff from AH, or you're grinding encounters to get the things directly. I've read that this became a much, much bigger problem with mod 6, and it seems the game has lost a huge number of players since then, so hopefully it will be addressed.

One thing that is absolutely untrue is that the game revolves around the cash store. There's pretty much nothing in there you need. That being said, end game progression is too tediously grindy to do without buying some Zen to sell for astral diamonds.

Despite all the problems, there's still a lot of fun to be had, and the grinding won't be necessary for casual players or people who don't care about the end game. Levelling up is great, free from grind and absolutely fine for totally free to player people. Some of the events are fun too -- the anniversary event made it really easy to get a special mount as well as introducing quite a fun skirmish that gave excellent rewards. The community isn't bad -- once you ignore the gold spammers.

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829

Neverwinter's a fun game, I return to it from time to time, but I never stay more than a few months at a time.

Most recently I left because I didn't feel like bothering with the mess that mod 6 made of the endgame content, and because I got screwed out of claiming a reward they were giving everyone, because some douchebags had found a way to exploit the gift.

Which is the main reason I never stick around for long. In almost two decades of MMOs, I've never come across a community that's more wretched than Neverwinter's. Before playing that game I never understood why some people were so vehemently opposed to games turning F2P.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

Originally posted by Azaron_Nightblade

Neverwinter's a fun game, I return to it from time to time, but I never stay more than a few months at a time.

Most recently I left because I didn't feel like bothering with the mess that mod 6 made of the endgame content, and because I got screwed out of claiming a reward they were giving everyone, because some douchebags had found a way to exploit the gift.

Which is the main reason I never stick around for long. In almost two decades of MMOs, I've never come across a community that's more wretched than Neverwinter's. Before playing that game I never understood why some people were so vehemently opposed to games turning F2P.

I think I'd be more into the game if I'd played pre mod 6. I also made the unfortunate choice of SW, which is a horribly weak class.

The main problem with the community is with pugs people are very willing to quit or afk, more so than any other game I've played. I guess it's because the game doesn't really penalise you for it, it in fact rewards you as it still counts towards dailies that award AD.

• YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098

I think I'd be more into the game if I'd played pre mod 6. I also made the unfortunate choice of SW, which is a horribly weak class.

The main problem with the community is with pugs people are very willing to quit or afk, more so than any other game I've played. I guess it's because the game doesn't really penalise you for it, it in fact rewards you as it still counts towards dailies that award AD.

When it launched you could kick players who afked, but a couple of months in they took out that function and removed any cooldown for leaving/joining pvp, so basically players just started "surfing" games until they found a winning team or just sat in spawn and afked for the reward. There were quite a few multiboxers as well, so sometimes the entire other team would just sit in spawn for the reward the whole game. Pity really, the combat system really lends itself to pvp.

Originally posted by YashaX

When it launched you could kick players who afked, but a couple of months in they took out that function and removed any cooldown for leaving/joining pvp, so basically players just started "surfing" games until they found a winning team or just sat in spawn and afked for the reward. There were quite a few multiboxers as well, so sometimes the entire other team would just sit in spawn for the reward the whole game. Pity really, the combat system really lends itself to pvp.

Yup, it's pretty clear that some people are afking if it doesn't look like it's going to be a really easy win. In dungeons now (at level 70) people are just quitting instantly unless they're in a group that is going to mean a very easy win.

I can understand people afking in pvp when it's clear that there's literally no chance of winning, since the game will match 3k+ premades with 1.5k pugs (which to people who don't play, is like matching a level 60 premade with level 50 pugs). I've done that myself, as I've no intention of just being one shotted over and over again so the premade can get more rewards.

I would like to see much harsher penalties for quitting/afking, and of course lots of needed balance work in pvp.

(Despite all these criticisms, I do have a lot of fun in the game)

• XAleX360XAleX360 Member UncommonPosts: 516
    How are the PvE raids?

Executive Editor (Games) http://www.wccftech.com

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Originally posted by XAleX360
    How are the PvE raids?

It doesn't have any. (Unless they've added them since I last played in early mod 6)

They do have some fun endgame dungeons though. The closest they have to a raid is the Tiamat battle, which is more of a huge public quest than a typical raid. (And which other people can cause you to fail horribly if you wind up with some afk leechers in the same phase as you)

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    Originally posted by YashaX

(Despite all these criticisms, I do have a lot of fun in the game)

Its definitely an amazingly fun game, I really hope it comes out on the ps4 someday.

Originally posted by XAleX360
    How are the PvE raids?

It doesn't have any. (Unless they've added them since I last played in early mod 6)

They do have some fun endgame dungeons though. The closest they have to a raid is the Tiamat battle, which is more of a huge public quest than a typical raid. (And which other people can cause you to fail horribly if you wind up with some afk leechers in the same phase as you)

Yeah, Tiamat is a bit peculiar. It's a raid in the sense that it takes 25 people, has lots of mechanics, and is difficult, but it only takes 20 mins, and you can't go in as a premade group which means you more often than not end up with people who have absolutely no idea about the mechanics (which are very straightforward) or with gear levels of less than 2000. Afkers are a massive problem, as with most parts of the game.

The dungeons tend to have more mechanics than most MMOs I've played, far less reliant on tank + healer and simply taking a boss down. The end game ones are also extremely tough.