Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Meta frustration

Tracho12Tracho12 Member UncommonPosts: 136

Check the LFD tool.

Every group is '80 experience zerk only, speed runs'

Go to WvW.

Get ganked by shadow arts thieves, pu mesmers and condi engis.

Log out in disgust.

Check the LFD tool.

Every ranked BG is '2000+ rank, link achievement'

Every raid is 'Need healers. Link achievement. Experienced only'

Log out in disgust.

Queue ranked (rank 19 aka scrub tier)

Loss to face hunter, grim patron warrior, and handlock.

Log out in disgust.

Queue ranked (ranked 45 aka scrub tier)

Watch enemy team pick Rehgar, Uther, Jaina, ETC, Sylvannas.

Lose then log out in disgust.

Does anyone play games anymore? or do we all just copy and paste the meta builds then gloat about how awesome we are because we have no imagination and can follow a guide that someone else wrote.

Every game it's the same darn thing. It's meta, meta, meta or you lose, lose, lose. Multiplayer gaming isn't fun anymore. You either treat it like a job and win or you treat it like recreation and you lose. 

Going back to single player, this garbage sucks.

Comments

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

To be honost I would also become frustrated if I would log into games the way OP describes. Thankfully I actually play games

For me there is no need for LFD/LFG tools as they would really make my experiance boring. I rather play and see who I might meet. In my journey I meet good/great PUGs, but also mixed with bad/terrible PUGs. 

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

Confusing message, OP.

Do you want to play ranked or not? Sounds like you do, are not high enough and are complaining about it for some weird reason.

There is also unranked, you know.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• suckm3suckm3 Member UncommonPosts: 187

Thanks god I play BF and moba games only. Blizzard games are made for casual noobs only, so you can't expect anything else ;)

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”? -Albert Einstein 

"The ability to speak doesn't make you intelligent" - Qui-gon Jinn. After many years of reading Internet forums, there's no doubt that neither does the ability to write.
    So if you notice that I'm no longer answering your nonsense, stop trying... because you just joined my block list.

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699
    If you want your rank to improve you have to figure out how to beat the popular builds.  That goes for any game.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699
    Originally posted by Iselin

Confusing message, OP.

Do you want to play ranked or not? Sounds like you do, are not high enough and are complaining about it for some weird reason.

There is also unranked, you know.

We can have whole thread on this.

I'd love to see a survey of competitive players with two questions.

1) What is your current rank / MMR?

2) What do you think your rank / MMR should be?

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• sunandshadowsunandshadow Member RarePosts: 1,985
    Not a new phenomenon at all - this is the same rude awakening I got 15 years ago when I first tried to play ranked Magic the Gathering tournaments.  I love deck building, except for the expense/time costs.  When I first heard of the concept "net-decking" I was so confused why using a deck you hadn't  designed yourself would be any fun.  What would the purpose of playing be if not to test your design and see where it works and where it could use some changing-around?  But other people have utterly different mindsets about what's fun and what the point of playing is.  The only real answer is to not play ranked combat against other players.  Some games (Elements online CCG for example) provide AI opponents that you can play a sort of faux ranked campaign against - this is probably the best substitute one can get.
    I want to help design and develop a PvE-focused, solo-friendly, sandpark MMO which combines crafting, monster hunting, and story.  So PM me if you are starting one.
  • WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,364
    welcome to modern mmorpgs , ppl dont play to have fun or as hobby , they play to win and as fast as u can , no time to lose , rush , run , wipes not allowed , n00bs kicked on sight ect ect
  • xaritscinxaritscin Member UncommonPosts: 350

there will always be metagame, its something the community creates, be it because someone found that X or Y class/item/strat is broken or because certain team configurations are supposedly more eficient at certain roles.

those who discover a way to break the game cause a domino effect that makes the rest of the masses to copy the same strategy and end making the game boring for the people who just want to play fun. up to the point the devs have to actually nerf the game for that supposed "balance".

its something that cannot be evaded, like bots, gold sellers or zerging mechanics. metagame is one of the banes of modern gaming society and i doubt we will ever see a game where there's no min/max elitist asshats of any kind.

well look on the bright side, you can always form a group/guild with friends or people like-minded and try to do it without recurring to the LFG system.

• VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601
    That hasn't been my experience in any game ever. To be honest I've never even looked at the ranking. When i want to group for a dungeon or something i just press the button and a few minutes later I'm grouped no matter what real i am or what gear have or what class.
    Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
  • JakeSimJakeSim Member RarePosts: 883
    OP, play counter strike. :)
    Please come check out my stream. All the love is appreciated! 

TWITCH: @JakeSimTV
  • aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135
    Originally posted by Tracho12

Does anyone play games anymore? or do we all just copy and paste the meta builds then gloat about how awesome we are because we have no imagination and can follow a guide that someone else wrote.

Every game it's the same darn thing. It's meta, meta, meta or you lose, lose, lose. Multiplayer gaming isn't fun anymore. You either treat it like a job and win or you treat it like recreation and you lose. 

Going back to single player, this garbage sucks.

Do you?

META builds are there because they give the highest chance of success. You only NEED to play meta if you NEED the highest chance of winning (aka you aren't skilled enough at the game to handle less-optimal builds).

As for LFD/LFG/LFR, you are actively queing into that mindset. There are groups that aren't that hardcore, I found some just the other day in LFD in GW2. Just need to be a little patient. Or.. you could do the logical thing and make your own group. Like the saying goes, 'if you want something done right, do it yourself.'

Do I get bored w/ META in certain games, absolutely. However I dont log in for 2 secs, see that there is a meta, blame everything on that & rage quit. If I wanna play non-meta, then I play non-meta. Or I play w/ friends who I know I won't have to carry.

In GW2 you can beat any dungeon w/ any comp. So just run casual groups with people that know what they're doing.

In WvW the 3 classes are described are nuisance classes. Only way they kill you is if you play into their builds. SA thieves basically just spam hit & run tactics, force them to use their cooldowns chasing you and they will usually just run away. PU mesmers basically rely on you to kill yourself. Condi engies are annoying, but they're kind of like PU mesmers. They rely on you to play into their build and get yourself killed.

All of that can be avoided, and there are stronger meta builds atm. If you want to learn them play more sPvP.

As for WoW / HS / HotS. I don't what to tell you other than 'it's Blizzard'. Blizzard makes fun games, but the last complex game they really made was SC2. Their current interest over the last decade or so has been in making casual / accessible games in untapped genres, to try and diversify their profits. If I wanted a serious PvP game I would honestly look elsewhere, there are tons of options right now in that regard.

• Legion117Legion117 Member Posts: 27
    I've always found comps to be what you make of it. There is no meta in my eyes. LoL keeps changing the supposed Meta everytime you turn around, yet random assortments of classes always seems to get things done either way 
  • JakobmillerJakobmiller Member RarePosts: 674

Join a clan

Join the clan on adventure to siege a city

Meet cool friends for life

There you go ;)