Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

About to start playing today, looking for tips/advice....

Comments

• farbegefarbege Member UncommonPosts: 305
    Originally posted by filmoret
    Originally posted by farbege
    Originally posted by romanswinter

Wow!

Not the kind of responses I was expecting. I can deal with PVP games - but I can't deal with gankers and griefers. 

Is it really that bad?

RNG crafting.  Which means you will spend about 10 hours hauling stuff around and making gold for the purpose of having a 10% chance of upgrading 1 piece of gear.  And when the gear gets high enough there is a chance the item will break or be downgraded.  Scamming is totally legal because they think its a form of pvp.  Also creating stupid blockades in PVE zones and griefing people in the PVE zones is legal as well because its a form of pvp.  They allow people to be trolls without consequence.  You can also have someone from your own faction kill you and steal your gold then that same person is protected by the guards of your faction 1 minute later.

Sad this game had so much potential but was moderated in the worse possible way you can imagine.

RNG is in the MMORPG genre since 30 years.

You somehow missed the news. 

Whatever the person does to "steal" your gold - which is impossible- he does in a PvP enabled zone.

Big warning messages tell you about you  leaving the safezones and enter a PvP zone.

The problem is more you greedy and want  no risk but much gold .

If you want the big gold reward take the bigger risk to enter a PvP enabled zone = makes perfectly sense.

The blocking of road seems a problem on 1 server. On my server i do several trades a day on the shortest possible route.

However , you right in that  if OP and everyone else never wish to PvP then he is wrtong in this game and he should start playing WoW on a PvE server.

RNG crafting isn't a part of any good MMO.  And the internet hasn't even been around for 30 years.  But yes slot machines have always been around and they are designed to do one thing and that is make money and very rarely pay out.

Almost 30 Years is pretty much accurate counting in the MUD's which have been the predecessor of MMORPG's. 

Also here a sheet of what most player say the best (and famous) crafting system ever in a MMORPG - SWG's crafting RNG's -dated year  2003

(doubt there is anyone who wouldnt call SWG as a "good MMORPG" ) :

Experimentation results
    Result Quality
    Critical success 8.40%
    Amazing success 8.05%
    Great success 7.00%
    Good success 3.50%
    Success 1.75%
    Moderate success 1.05%
    Moderate failure  ?
    Failure -7.00%
    Critical failure -14.00%

• filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906

Almost 30 Years is pretty much accurate counting in the MUD's which have been the predecessor of MMORPG's. 

Also here a sheet of what most player say the best (and famous) crafting system ever in a MMORPG - SWG's crafting RNG's -dated year  2003

Experimentation results
    Result Quality
    Critical success 8.40%
    Amazing success 8.05%
    Great success 7.00%
    Good success 3.50%
    Success 1.75%
    Moderate success 1.05%
    Moderate failure  ?
    Failure -7.00%
    Critical failure -14.00%

To compare SWG to Archeage shows you know absolutely nothing about how messed up Archeage's crafting system really is.  SWG gave you a chance of getting a better item and sometimes worse item then you were actually aiming for.  Archeage gives you a random item.  So if you wanted a greatsword with STR as the main attribute then you would try to craft it and you have a 1-6 chance of getting it.  Not to mention the fact that it cost over 200 gold just to get that 1-6 chance.  That's just to craft the item we haven't even gotten to upgrading the item.  Which costs about 200 gold just to attempt and you can reach a place where the item will get downgraded or destroyed.  So if you lke slot machines that take 20$ bills then this is the game for you.  SWG was more compared to a slot machine that only takes nickels and always gives you at least a nickel back.

When I played Archeage I felt like my hard work was getting crapped on and tossed out of the window.

Are you onto something or just on something?
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
     My advice is to uninstall and find another game to invest your time in ...
  • DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536

Wow!

Not the kind of responses I was expecting. I can deal with PVP games - but I can't deal with gankers and griefers. 

Is it really that bad?

RNG crafting.  Which means you will spend about 10 hours hauling stuff around and making gold for the purpose of having a 10% chance of upgrading 1 piece of gear.  And when the gear gets high enough there is a chance the item will break or be downgraded.  Scamming is totally legal because they think its a form of pvp.  Also creating stupid blockades in PVE zones and griefing people in the PVE zones is legal as well because its a form of pvp.  They allow people to be trolls without consequence.  You can also have someone from your own faction kill you and steal your gold then that same person is protected by the guards of your faction 1 minute later.

Sad this game had so much potential but was moderated in the worse possible way you can imagine.

Of course scamming is legal, its the premise the game and its monetization were founded on.

• nolfnolf Member UncommonPosts: 869

So as the title suggests, I am going to give Archage a shot today. 

As a someone who will be a total noob, I am looking for some starting advice or tips to get the most out of the game, and get me on the path to clearing the 30 level tutorial I have heard so much about. 

From all the horror stories I don't think I will try farming or crafting. Will that severely limit gameplay for me? If I dont craft, farm, buy a house, does that mean I can't do the trade pack quests etc? 

Not sure if it will matter, but I usually sub to games. So if I enjoy the game today I will be a "patron" so if your advice would change based on being a free player vs a patron please keep that in mind in that I will most likely be a patron. 

Thanks everyone! 

Guild up!

Also, pick your first 3 abilities and stick to them until they all cap.  Eventually you run out of spoon-fed xp, and it can be really annoying to have several skills middling around when you're capped.

Use whatever land you manage to get your hands on to its fullest potential.

Get in a guild.

I really hope that *insert game name here* will be the first game to ever live up to all of its pre-release promises, maintain a manageable hype level and have a clean release. Just don't expect me to hold my breath.

• valariavalaria Member UncommonPosts: 23

Griefers rule this game, and you can have your pack/wagon stolen by your faction in a safe zone without being able to retaliate.  This was the final blow for me and caused me to un-sub and delete AA from my comp.

Also be cautious of your guildies too, I was in a guild where the officers got everyone else to donate to get their crafting up with the promise of crafting for all, but then they left to join a larger guild after they got all they could.

• medniosmednios Member UncommonPosts: 7

My biggest tip and greatest advice - with all means possible keep yourself away from this thing!

• JabasJabas Member UncommonPosts: 1,249

Wow!

Is it really that bad?

Some good advices were given, i just like to add this:

If you are that kind of player, and im not judge anyone, that like games where a hand is given to the player and show them the path to whatever you want to archive in-game, dont bother.

ArcheAge is about deep player interaction, direct PvP, economy, land owner, trade runs, policy, faction events, piracy, be creative to avoid grifers, etc.

While leveling untill 50 at least you decide wich path you wanna take, what you want to do, wich objectives you define for yourself and how to reach them, wich way to make gold, there are severals ways, pvp or only pve(farming include), pk or not pk, join guild A or B depending of internal rules, risk your packs in open world ocean for better reward or stay in safe zones for a lower one, etc, etc.

Its a game where sometimes you "laugh" sometimes you "cry", its all a learning process and with time and experience you get better and better to deal with some "bad" situations. You will have epic moments and frustation ones too.

For me, its all about epic moments, the frustation ones is to learn how to improve next time.

• SoybeanSoybean Member UncommonPosts: 111
    Originally posted by valaria

Griefers rule this game, and you can have your pack/wagon stolen by your faction in a safe zone without being able to retaliate.  This was the final blow for me and caused me to un-sub and delete AA from my comp.

Also be cautious of your guildies too, I was in a guild where the officers got everyone else to donate to get their crafting up with the promise of crafting for all, but then they left to join a larger guild after they got all they could.

OMG I was in a guild like that too! After the guild leader got what he wanted then he disbanded the guild and told everyone to go to Red Dragon Dynasty where they wanted something like 5 gold a week from all of the members of the guild. The guild disbanded and that guild leader ended up with everyone's gold. To top it off to find out that one of the devs is helping a griefing guild on the west side and a pirate guild.

• MavolenceMavolence Member UncommonPosts: 635
    Originally posted by DMKano

Experimentation results
    Result Quality
    Critical success 8.40%
    Amazing success 8.05%
    Great success 7.00%
    Good success 3.50%
    Success 1.75%
    Moderate success 1.05%
    Moderate failure  ?
    Failure -7.00%
    Critical failure -14.00%

To compare SWG to Archeage shows you know absolutely nothing about how messed up Archeage's crafting system really is.  SWG gave you a chance of getting a better item and sometimes worse item then you were actually aiming for.  Archeage gives you a random item.  So if you wanted a greatsword with STR as the main attribute then you would try to craft it and you have a 1-6 chance of getting it.  Not to mention the fact that it cost over 200 gold just to get that 1-6 chance.  That's just to craft the item we haven't even gotten to upgrading the item.  Which costs about 200 gold just to attempt and you can reach a place where the item will get downgraded or destroyed.  So if you lke slot machines that take 20$ bills then this is the game for you.  SWG was more compared to a slot machine that only takes nickels and always gives you at least a nickel back.

When I played Archeage I felt like my hard work was getting crapped on and tossed out of the window.

Last AA patch has significantly lowered archeum crystal costs and increased regrade chances especially up to heroic.

RNG is still there of course but getting up yo magnificent unique is doable by anyone as it doesn't requite any proficiency anymore. And magnificent gear is pretty decent.

That's interesting, after the 1.7 patch i spent 30 regrade scrolls on a simple tier 1 obsidian bow to bring it from grand to rare to arcane to heroic then back to arcane. Spending a pretty obscene amount of gold for pretty much no advancement. Disgusting regrade chance still imo

• bentrimbentrim Member UncommonPosts: 299
    Advice???..........DONT PLAY IT!
  • SoybeanSoybean Member UncommonPosts: 111
    Originally posted by Soybean
    Originally posted by valaria

OMG I was in a guild like that too! After the guild leader got what he wanted then he disbanded the guild and told everyone to go to Red Dragon Dynasty where they wanted something like 5 gold a week from all of the members of the guild. The guild disbanded and that guild leader ended up with everyone's gold. To top it off to find out that one of the devs is helping a griefing guild on the west side and a pirate guild.

5 gold a week at level 50+ is laughably trivial. A single 100% safe trade run will earn you 6 gold.

The accusations of devs helping guilds happen in every game - and 99.9999% of the time they hold zero water, just empty accusations.

In this case Krohlan (who is a community manager not a Dev) streamed 1.7 patch changes 1 day prior to Trions official twtich stream on a private account. All the stuff he streamed has been  known from Korean version for at least 6 months.

Again this is laughably weak and people will grasp at straws to scream foul.

Whether you think it is laughable or not, the gm of RDD still took off with peoples money. Also, not everyone who plays Arche age is a subscriber capable of owning land provided they could find some. Add to the fact Krohlan had no business streaming that information to a private group ahead of time. Who knows what other information was given to the guild he was an officer of. The staff should not be taking sides in a competitive PVP game. A dev from Eve had gotten fired for doing such things. And just because something is in the KR version of the game does not mean it will come over to the EU or NA side. And BTW not everyone reads Korean.

you only say that it is laughable because you must have personally gained from it.

• Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,056

Wow!

Is it really that bad?

Yes, it is.

I cannot imagine starting this game now, it certainly is not designed to have new players injected into it while everyone else is max level and rich with 10+ plots of land each. The game had great potential but was marred by poor management at every level. I think you would have a tough time convincing anyone rationally that this game is not a failure in NA.

Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739
    Originally posted by Mavolence

Experimentation results
    Result Quality
    Critical success 8.40%
    Amazing success 8.05%
    Great success 7.00%
    Good success 3.50%
    Success 1.75%
    Moderate success 1.05%
    Moderate failure  ?
    Failure -7.00%
    Critical failure -14.00%

Last AA patch has significantly lowered archeum crystal costs and increased regrade chances especially up to heroic.

RNG is still there of course but getting up yo magnificent unique is doable by anyone as it doesn't requite any proficiency anymore. And magnificent gear is pretty decent.

That's interesting, after the 1.7 patch i spent 30 regrade scrolls on a simple tier 1 obsidian bow to bring it from grand to rare to arcane to heroic then back to arcane. Spending a pretty obscene amount of gold for pretty much no advancement. Disgusting regrade chance still imo

I have found that if you fail 3 in a row, just stop.  It still is crappy and pisses you off sometimes, and I don't even take my own advice, like yesterday.  I  Did 20 armor scrolls on a obsidian jerkin and got it to rare, kept doing it because, I just had to marvel at how stupid it was to fail that much on a green.

Then this morning, I failed 1 time getting the same jerkin to unique.

I have like 10% luck using a lucky sunpoint/moonpoint, even with the 2x charm, really bad luck, but seeing people succeeding, makes ya want to keep trying.

I do wish the game was not so gear dependent, but that would lessen the cash shop and apex sales.

Miss games like Ultima Online, you throw some gear on, go out, even if you get killed and all your stuff looted, it wasn't that big a deal to regear and go back out to fight, and be pretty close to the same gear wise as other people.

• farbegefarbege Member UncommonPosts: 305
    Originally posted by Viper482

Wow!

Is it really that bad?

Yes, it is.

I cannot imagine starting this game now, it certainly is not designed to have new players injected into it while everyone else is max level and rich with 10+ plots of land each. The game had great potential but was marred by poor management at every level. I think you would have a tough time convincing anyone rationally that this game is not a failure in NA.

Archeage is also one of the sandbox MMO's with the least gap between vets and newbies.

yup good luck on finding that MMORPG that is not heavy on newbies and offers that gameplay that Archeage offers.

Better keep dreaming about your imaginary one..

meanwhile let me play the best MMORPG on the markert right now..

Originally posted by Xthos
    Originally posted by Mavolence

Experimentation results
    Result Quality
    Critical success 8.40%
    Amazing success 8.05%
    Great success 7.00%
    Good success 3.50%
    Success 1.75%
    Moderate success 1.05%
    Moderate failure  ?
    Failure -7.00%
    Critical failure -14.00%

I have found that if you fail 3 in a row, just stop.  It still is crappy and pisses you off sometimes, and I don't even take my own advice, like yesterday.  I  Did 20 armor scrolls on a obsidian jerkin and got it to rare, kept doing it because, I just had to marvel at how stupid it was to fail that much on a green.

Then this morning, I failed 1 time getting the same jerkin to unique.

I have like 10% luck using a lucky sunpoint/moonpoint, even with the 2x charm, really bad luck, but seeing people succeeding, makes ya want to keep trying.

I do wish the game was not so gear dependent, but that would lessen the cash shop and apex sales.

Miss games like Ultima Online, you throw some gear on, go out, even if you get killed and all your stuff looted, it wasn't that big a deal to regear and go back out to fight, and be pretty close to the same gear wise as other people.

From what you are describing it is worse then when I played.  Back before 1.7 you could get arcane fairly easy with about 5-10 regrade scrolls.  Then to get Heroic you would need about 5 regrade scrolls with the best charms.  Then to get to unique was about 20 scrolls with a high chance of just getting it downgraded instead.  Which is another shitty thing that Trion did when they secretly nerfed drop rates and success rates.  Really this is one POS of a game with really really bad development.

• jesadjesad Member UncommonPosts: 882
    Originally posted by thundercles
    1. Don't trust anyone. 2. Get in a guild asap. 3. The archeage forums are toxic. 4. A new patch is coming so be prepared for logging issues. 5. Don't trust that trion will deliver on promises. 6. Explore! 7. There's a ton of great stuff to do. Be creative! 8. Don't trust anyone

This dude owned this string on the first post.

Best advice ever regarding this game.

Wow!

Is it really that bad?

Yes, it is.

Archeage is also one of the sandbox MMO's with the least gap between vets and newbies.

yup good luck on finding that MMORPG that is not heavy on newbies and offers that gameplay that Archeage offers.

I agree with Farbege. The guild where i am in EU-Eanna is keeping recruitment new people reaching lvl 50 and they imediatly start to have fun.

Note: Most of the video capture is from last week, was made 2 days ago.

Blood Company Recruitment

Originally posted by Jabas

Wow!

Is it really that bad?

Yes, it is.

I agree with Farbege. The guild where i am in EU-Eanna is keeping recruitment new people reaching lvl 50 and they imediatly start to have fun.

Never said the game itself wasn't good.  The game itself is great and everyone will admit that.  The process of playing slot machines with hard work is what messes a lot of stuff up.  The way they manage land ownership and all the huge scale pvp is kinda pointless because there is nothing to gain from it.  Its faster and more profitable to haul your own packs then steal others.  Not to mention that 80% of the pvp rewards are garbage.  Basically if you don't care about what gear you are wearing and don't care about pvp this game can be a good alternative to Farmville.

• NomadMorlockNomadMorlock Member UncommonPosts: 815

Don't invest time or money in anything that might be added to the cash shop. You will loose. I spent the first few months raising bear mounts for sale. By the time I had a huge bear farm and had gotten my first mount, they added them to the cash shop. 

Originally posted by Jabas

Never said the game itself wasn't good.  The game itself is great and everyone will admit that.  The process of playing slot machines with hard work is what messes a lot of stuff up.  The way they manage land ownership and all the huge scale pvp is kinda pointless because there is nothing to gain from it.  Its faster and more profitable to haul your own packs then steal others.  Not to mention that 80% of the pvp rewards are garbage.  Basically if you don't care about what gear you are wearing and don't care about pvp this game can be a good alternative to Farmville.

I confess i didnt understand the point of your replie. I was just showing that recruiting video as a example what a new player can do as son reach lvl 50 and join certain guilds.

About your coments related to no rewards from pvp and more profit make packs then steal them, i see things in a diferent way: balance of reaching some goals doing in a fun way. ArcheAge have several paths to reach the same goal, some faster some slower, some boring, some fun, it real depends of each player.

When i play a game i dont do only what is more "efective", like what is the top pvp class, the fastes way to reach top lvl, the fastest way to get gold, etc, etc. Its one good thing AA have imo, diferent paths to same goal, i chose which one more fun to me, even i take more time then others, so what? im having fun  :)

Yes, i love steal packs on ocean, destroy other boats and mass pvp, the main reward? All the fun i had during that 2 or 3h, even when we lose was fun trying.

• seawolf1seawolf1 Member UncommonPosts: 6
    It is a fun game but don't try to do everything.  There is too much to do in the game to be good at it all.  Find a couple of things and work on them.  This will give you plenty of gold/land and you'll have fun.
  • Bad.dogBad.dog Member UncommonPosts: 1,131
    Best game on the market right now ....play it safe and smart and you'll be amazed. On the flipside if it doesn't work out for you it gives you the option to come back here and join the crowd that couldn't make the grade with an ego saving out of being able to claim "Credit Card Warriors" and "P2W" lead to your demise
  • JDis25JDis25 Member RarePosts: 1,353

I can't believe this.

While I had the time of my life playing this at launch, it quickly became a hot mess. With the Auroria launch and whales/exploiters aplenty, I finally gave up. I hit 50 when everyone else did and even then I felt behind. I can't even imagine what it would be like for new players today.

Now Playing: Bless / Summoners War
    Looking forward to: Crowfall / Lost Ark / Black Desert Mobile
  • ragz45ragz45 Member UncommonPosts: 810

The core game it's self is amazing, like beyond great.  The economy, trading, pvp, etc are all a ton of fun.  

That aside the people running the game are driving it into the ground.  Every single item that I've ever tried to farm to make money in AA gets added to the cash shop.  The RNG component added to the game is off the charts.  I finally ended up quitting when a few guild mates told me they were dropping upwards of 500 bucks a month on the game in the cash shop.

I can handle a little tiny bit of PTW in games, I don't have much choice now days, but Archeage is so over the top PTW, I couldn't take it anymore.