Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How would it feel ?

StowawayStowaway Member Posts: 165

If you didn't get into Beta , or are you content waiting for release (Yeh right!!)

As we get closer and closer I get more scared about not getting in! Haven't had much luck getting into betas lately.

But how much would you want to scream if you knew people were enjoying and helping Fallen Earth in the beta and YOU WEREN'T!! ARGGHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!! ::::06::::::06::::::07::::::16::

I can feel the Fallen Earth train 'a coming

Comments

• sinothsinoth Member Posts: 175

I don't think we have anything to worry about... the community here is pretty small. Not getting in does make a pretty terrible nightmare though...

::::03::

http://www.fallenearth.se - Your source for Fallen Earth information

• adriradrir Member Posts: 101

We can only speculate as to what methods Icarus will use to beta test their product? Do we even know for sure that there will be a private/closed or selective beta?

I would assume that they aim to iron and polish the game internally or employ professional testers. Once it is in an acceptable state, they only need to test the system under stress and flush out those more elusive bugs. How? By announcing a freely available public testing regime! Even if you have to pre-order which is the case for many games.

This is only my opinion, but I prefer to be optomistic rather than fear being filtered through a selection process ::::39::

• RabiatorRabiator Member Posts: 358

Actually, beta testing is not only fun and play.
    I'm currently in my first beta (Auto Assault), and while the game is not too far from release, there are still frequent nerfs and other things that disrupt your char's carreer (char wipes... ::::35:: )
    Also, a good beta tester will spend significant time on documenting bugs and weaknesses in design. So the privilege of getting in first has its price ::::39::

• RipperjackAURipperjackAU Member Posts: 124

Originally posted by Rabiator

Also, a good beta tester will spend significant time on documenting bugs and weaknesses in design. So the privilege of getting in first has its price ::::39::

Pretty much. I mean I have been rejected from about 4 betas, with 2 betas I have managed to get into but for one reason or another was not able to participate, so I know that fear.

However what really annoys me to no end is seeing people get into beta, treat it like a free game and then contribute absolutely NOTHING to the feedback process. So that when people like myself finally get in, after paying our hard earned cash, have to put up with buggy code and shovel-ware that would have otherwise been of far better quality if the beta testers actually DID their job and reported the bugs in the first place.

Beta testers who treat their invitation as a free ride should be SHOT! image
  • CthulhuvongCthulhuvong Member UncommonPosts: 433

I would hate to miss out on beta, as it has been a long time that I have been interested in this game...almost a year and a half infact...hell, when it gets near that time for beta, I may try and apply several more times just because I don't want to miss out.

I would definately take this beta serious, as I want to make sure the game is good upon release. Most other games when I was in beta, I was just trying them out. Of course I was in late betas for them all, so I didn't see many bugs as it was. If I ran across a bug I would report it, but otherwise I just wanted to get a feel for the game to see if it was worth paying for (like a demo version).

Waiting For: something good
    Games Tried: SWTOR, Star Trek Online, EQ, EQ2, Earth and Beyond, Planetside, Lineage 2, Eve Online, WoW, City of Heroes, City of Villians, Auto Assault, Fallen Earth
    Star Wars: Galaxies - Ibra Olasi (Valcyn Server) [Dead, screw you SOE]

• StowawayStowaway Member Posts: 165

Hence "enjoying and helping Fallen Earth" ::::20::

Come on, the regulers here are so far into this game im sure we would all be dedicated to properly testing the game and helping it and doing our part to help it develop. That goes without saying! Most of us have probably beta tested other games.

It's just a, "imagine the nightmare scenario of not getting in, omg, what trouble and strife eh?" and the fallen earth beta.

Fallen Earth specifically I think the Beta would be exciting because the devs seem to actually listen and be interested for player input. Shocking I know. Which gives more incentive for players to actually test properly and talk about aspects of the game with their ideas, because they feel like they are being listened to, not ignored.

• GrimCreepGrimCreep Member Posts: 121

Yeah good call. Ive never seen another game with as much feedback about the goins on, even if the feedback is a message saying "hey guys we can't talk about that sorry" is enough to show that they are paying attention and do care.

If I don't happen to make it to beta I hope you guys running the other fan sites plan on letting the rest of fanboys know how its goin.

Lead with your face and role with the punches.

• StedfastStedfast Member Posts: 101
    So when exactly are we saying the beta is going to be? All I've seen is some time in 2006. I am hoping it will be sooner rather than later as I am sure we all are.image 
  • adriradrir Member Posts: 101

As we all know, there is quite a significant range of methods and types of beta testing. Personally, I have participated in a number of open-public tests and sandbox tests, for example the Guild Wars Beta and the SWG expansions beta. However, this mostly consisted of fun and writing a report whenever I discovered a glitch. Some of my friends have done testing at a more professional level for certain console titles, which was significantly different.

The last time I asked about Beta - the official word was no beta had been announced and there would be no further information from that until they 'were ready'. Although some speculation has suggested we are looking at 2006, for me - preferably the summer ::::39::

• RabiatorRabiator Member Posts: 358

Writing a report when you encounter a glitch is the obvious thing to do. Sometimes the devs also appreciate general first impressions, because it gives them an idea of how the game will appear to new customers. But when you are new to a certain beta, this may be all you can do.
    If you are in a bit longer, you can try to do things more systematically. Like keeping lists of the glitches and re-testing against new patches.
    Anything beyond that will require some preparation by the company that makes the games. Like giving out lists of things that need testing.
    And really professional testing can get rather formal, so it may be hard to find enough volunteers for that. I'm working in a place that requires well documented software testing myself, and it is not the most popular task among the developers ::::39::

• Hardware-DCHardware-DC Member Posts: 95

It would suck not to get into beta for FE for sure.   I have beta tested about 18 games and besides the freakish need to beta test SWG, this game is the one I want to be involved in.  But I do agree, there are way to many people out there that treat beta testing as a free "fix" to get into the game early.  Personally I treat beta in two ways:

1) To test and help and communicate with the DEVs and community to get things working and ready

2) To get a first glance and hands on feel for the game so when you bring your clan into play, you have extensive game knowledge to share that will assist your friends in leveling and gaining equipment that much easier.

http://www.durmanhoth-clan.com DC Main Page
    http://www.durmanhoth-clan.com/apocalypse Sci-Fi / Apoc Theme Forums
    http://www.durmanhoth-clan.com/citadel DnD Style Theme forums (coming soon)