Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GW2 would have many more players if...

SupaAPESupaAPE Member Posts: 100

They gave the option for switching combat mode from basic (what it is now), and advanced (complete action based).

I really loved many things about the game, but like a good majority of PvPer's was turned off by the default combat system. I'm not saying its bad, not at all. I'm just saying they should have made the option for an advanced mode which is very action combat oriented requiring more precision. The downside is that it would be harder, so it's up to the player whether they would toggle that on or not.

Just a thought I had., and yes it could have been completely balanced.

Too bad :/

Comments

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

The game does have that. It's in the options. It may not be as simple as a 'check box', but the options are all there.

There's even a mod you  can get which switches the combat from the default to something very similar to what TERA uses, and the only thing it does that you can't do yourself in the options (last I checked), was add a retical to the center of your screen.

- The game could benefit from more clearcut directions / instructions for sure, but much of the customization options people assume aren't in the game, have actually been there since launch.

• mbrodiembrodie Member RarePosts: 1,504
    Originally posted by aesperus

The game does have that. It's in the options. It may not be as simple as a 'check box', but the options are all there.

There's even a mod you  can get which switches the combat from the default to something very similar to what TERA uses, and the only thing it does that you can't do yourself in the options (last I checked), was add a retical to the center of your screen.

- The game could benefit from more clearcut directions / instructions for sure, but much of the customization options people assume aren't in the game, have actually been there since launch.

mod was discontinued as arenanet said it's use is banable etc...

there is no option in options for mouselock, which would actually make this game heaps better

Games like ESO / TERA where you have mouselock default on to look around and bind a hotkey to turn it off to free the mouse have the right idea with that kind of combat... GW2 is kinda stuck in the middle somewhere

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135
    Originally posted by mbrodie

there is no option in options for mouselock, which would actually make this game heaps better

Games like ESO / TERA where you have mouselock default on to look around and bind a hotkey to turn it off to free the mouse have the right idea with that kind of combat... GW2 is kinda stuck in the middle somewhere

The mod's still around (the name changed slightly), and Anet's stance on modding has also been updated.

They're stance current stance is basically 'we aren't going to ban you unless you are using a mod that can be construed as 'cheating', 'hacking', or gives you a noticeably unfair gameplay advantage. However, if a mod breaks the game, they accept no responsibility. Which doesn't really matter, as you can just reinstall it anyway.

That said, it's been months since the last update, and who knows if it will have problems once the expansion comes out.

Even still, there are a lot more combat options than people realize. Including aiming skills based on the mouse instead of tab-assisted.

• mbrodiembrodie Member RarePosts: 1,504

The mod's still around (the name changed slightly), and Anet's stance on modding has also been updated.

They're stance current stance is basically 'we aren't going to ban you unless you are using a mod that can be construed as 'cheating', 'hacking', or gives you a noticeably unfair gameplay advantage. However, if a mod breaks the game, they accept no responsibility. Which doesn't really matter, as you can just reinstall it anyway.

That said, it's been months since the last update, and who knows if it will have problems once the expansion comes out.

Even still, there are a lot more combat options than people realize. Including aiming skills based on the mouse instead of tab-assisted.

In that case, whats the name of the mod now?

• SupaAPESupaAPE Member Posts: 100

The game does have that. It's in the options. It may not be as simple as a 'check box', but the options are all there. There's even a mod you  can get which switches the combat from the default to something very similar to what TERA uses, and the only thing it does that you can't do yourself in the options (last I checked), was add a retical to the center of your screen. - The game could benefit from more clearcut directions / instructions for sure, but much of the customization options people assume aren't in the game, have actually been there since launch.

I tried the mod (forgot name).

What options are you talking about? i might reinstall it.
    Bump!
  • observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685

I believe the reason the devs didn't want a reticle based combat system, is because you have to constantly switch between modes by toggling "alt" (or other keys), in order to use mouse based functions for selecting menus.

They had to compromise between toggling or non-toggling combat.  If anyone has played Tera, they would know how annoying it was at times.  It's not something to get used to for the majority of MMO players that are used to tab-target.

I would have loved the option though, and they could have kept the standard default the way it is now.  I don't see them changing it anytime soon though, if ever.

• bingbongbrosbingbongbros Member UncommonPosts: 689
    Originally posted by SupaAPE
    Bump!

Hello Ne Zha

Playing: Smite, Marvel Heroes
    Played: Nexus:Kingdom of the Winds, Everquest, DAoC, Everquest 2, WoW, Matrix Online, Vangaurd, SWG, DDO, EVE, Fallen Earth, LoTRo, CoX, Champions Online, WAR, Darkfall, Mortal Online, Guild Wars, Rift, Tera, Aion, AoC, Gods and Heroes, DCUO, FF14, TSW, SWTOR, GW2, Wildstar, ESO, ArcheAge
    Waiting On: Nothing. Mmorpg's are dead.

• Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,064

They gave the option for switching combat mode from basic (what it is now), and advanced (complete action based).

I really loved many things about the game, but like a good majority of PvPer's was turned off by the default combat system. I'm not saying its bad, not at all. I'm just saying they should have made the option for an advanced mode which is very action combat oriented requiring more precision. The downside is that it would be harder, so it's up to the player whether they would toggle that on or not.

Just a thought I had., and yes it could have been completely balanced.

Too bad :/

Sorry, but you are in the minority on this. First of all pvpers are always in the minority, so saying this would bring "many more players" is simply not true. Second, there are much worse things GW2 did to turn off pvp/wvw players than this.

Make MMORPG's Great Again!
    Originally posted by bingbongbros
    Bump!

Hello Ne Zha

Why hello thar !!