Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Crowfall: It’s Getting Combative

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Red Thomas sat down with Gordon Walton and Todd Coleman to talk about what early access players will be seeing first from Crowfall, and to explore the nature of the audience building around the game.

Read more of Red Thomas's Crowfall: It's Getting Combative.

Sharpen your blades, folks. Combat is in bound and blood shall flow.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• superconductingsuperconducting Member UncommonPosts: 871
    Very important, combat is. Alot of potential, this game has.

• ZushakonZushakon Member UncommonPosts: 148
    God, I'm really ridiculously excited for Crowfall. Might just be the start of a new era in hardcore PvP games.

Darkfall Unholy Wars:
    Zushakon Odi

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

You're doing it wrong. You're supposed to build an elaborate world with a big ridiculous central city to show off how amazing your art team is, and then make a bunch of PVE stuff, then somewhere just before release tack on some crappy PVP. 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    Originally posted by Loktofeit

You're doing it wrong. You're supposed to build an elaborate world with a big ridiculous central city to show off how amazing your art team is, and then make a bunch of PVE stuff, then somewhere just before release tack on some crappy PVP. 

Or do the things you mentioned, but make PvP good instead of crappy, and actually have a successful sandbox game that has more depth than counterstrike with elves (like every sandbox game in the last decade).

• CaenthCaenth Member UncommonPosts: 13
    Originally posted by Dullahan

Or do the things you mentioned, but make PvP good instead of crappy, and actually have a successful sandbox game that has more depth than counterstrike with elves (like every sandbox game in the last decade).

He was sarcastic. :-)

• DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    Originally posted by CanthGaming

Oh, I know.  He was implying that those things weren't important, when every PvP sandbox game in recent history didn't have PvE or a world worth fighting over, and failed.

This isn't a traditional mmorpg in that it isn't at all progression based, and the worlds you fight over aren't persistent, so it could become an eSport type of mmo and succeed.  In general though, if an mmorpg isn't fun without PvP, it still won't be fun with it.

• loulakiloulaki Member UncommonPosts: 944

holy fuck i would love counterstrike with elves!!!

but yes they have to test the combat, just the internet community has proven immaturity at the mentioned projects i have seen many idiot threads even in this forum for the state of StarCitizen..

• Red_ThomasRed_Thomas Member RarePosts: 666
    Counter Strike with elves...  Ladies and gentlemen, I think we may have a new idea for an article!   lol
  • NetSageNetSage Member UncommonPosts: 1,059

Oh, I know.  He was implying that those things weren't important, when every PvP sandbox game in recent history didn't have PvE or a world worth fighting over, and failed.

This isn't a traditional mmorpg in that it isn't at all progression based, and the worlds you fight over aren't persistent, so it could become an eSport type of mmo and succeed.  In general though, if an mmorpg isn't fun without PvP, it still won't be fun with it.

While possible I hope the campaigns are long enough to keep them out of esport territory except for maybe special events :P.  I'm thinking the the absolute shortest campaign will be 24 hours but imagine it will be closer to a week (just my guess though).

• NetSageNetSage Member UncommonPosts: 1,059
    Originally posted by Red_Thomas
    Counter Strike with elves...  Ladies and gentlemen, I think we may have a new idea for an article!   lol

Counter-strike has a wc3 mod :D.  Just upload some custom skins and you have it.

• Red_ThomasRed_Thomas Member RarePosts: 666
    Originally posted by NetSage

While possible I hope the campaigns are long enough to keep them out of esport territory except for maybe special events :P.  I'm thinking the the absolute shortest campaign will be 24 hours but imagine it will be closer to a week (just my guess though).

When length has come up in previous conversations, it's always been discussed in terms of months.  That's hardly definitive, and there's no way even the devs know for sure until they've gotten to that point and tested how it plays, but it does sound like games are something more likely timed in weeks at a minimum.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

I wasn't implying that those things weren't important (well, actually, we could do without the pointlessly sprawling empty central city). I was giving a slightly exaggerated overview of how many PVP MMOs seem to get made. 

These guys are on track and seem to do that whole "learn from the past" thing that isn't too common in some circles. 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• Pirhana7Pirhana7 Member UncommonPosts: 23
    I am glad more games like this are focusing on PVP as  the thing the game is built around and designed for.  Personally I am looking forward to Camelot Unchained as I like the persistant 3way siege warfare PVP that Darkage of Camelot hooked me on 14 years ago.  But I am sure I will be playing Crowfall as well
  • ComafComaf Member UncommonPosts: 1,150
    Originally posted by Pirhana7
    I am glad more games like this are focusing on PVP as  the thing the game is built around and designed for.  Personally I am looking forward to Camelot Unchained as I like the persistant 3way siege warfare PVP that Darkage of Camelot hooked me on 14 years ago.  But I am sure I will be playing Crowfall as well

Same here.  Shamefully, I never see mentioned made of (a) quests keep people from grouping and kill community and social aspects... (b) let's fix the grouping issue, let people kill mob spawns together for xp...(c) reward players for filling their groups...even with lower level and less "popular" classes. 

But - oh well.  Perhaps someday. 

• ApraxisApraxis Member UncommonPosts: 1,518

That really depend on how you define mmorpg. From my point of view Crownfall is more of a pvp game as it is a classical mmorpg. With other words it does have more in common with DotA than with Everquest.

And for a pvp game, everything else beside pvp does not matter a lot.

And for MMORPGs.. a game like DAoC were a lot of us actually just played in the frontiers(the pvp area, where you only did pvp) would have worked very well without the pve and without the world outside of the frontiers and the lvl 1-50 + some raids experience.

However.. that all depends what kind of player you are. In summary, the marked text is not true.. at least not from the perspective of a pvp player.

• TechnoMonkeyTechnoMonkey Member UncommonPosts: 93
    This is the correct approach. IMO, MMOs live and die by their combat system. World of Warcraft is what it is because of how fluid and engaging the combat was. 
  • ZushakonZushakon Member UncommonPosts: 148

Yeah clearly they haven't followed how this is pretty much a developer law.

Darkfall Unholy Wars:
    Zushakon Odi