Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

are pure crafters possible?

sinloisinloi Member UncommonPosts: 201
Just curious how screwed it would be to do collecting and crafting without combat. I havent really had a game that let me do that since UO

Comments

• danwest58danwest58 Member RarePosts: 2,012
    Originally posted by sinloi
    Just curious how screwed it would be to do collecting and crafting without combat. I havent really had a game that let me do that since UO

The days of pure crafters like we did back in UO is long gone.  No you cannot be a pure crafter in FFXIV.  When Heavensward comes out you cannot do anything in the expansion until you do all the storyline from 2.0 to 2.55.  You must do combat.  

• KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    I think the only game where you can go pure crafting is something like archeage. 
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,347

I think you could, but it would take some serious dedication.  The stealthing skills that you get as you level up gathering skills would help a lot if you have no combat skills to speak of.

If you want a game where you could definitely do crafting without combat, there's always A Tale in the Desert, which has lots of crafting and no combat.  Uncharted Waters Online will let you do crafting with very little combat, though there will be some "get attacked and run away" and you'll have to level combat a little to get to use the ships you want.

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Once you get past a certain point, you can ditch combat completely without encumbrance.

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

The game pushes you to complete the story line on at least one combat class. You can start crafting as soon as you hit Level 10 on your first class (that's the point where class switching unlocks), although you want to get at least to L20 before you dive in head first (L15 unlocks airship travel between cities, which makes it a lot easier to obtain the cross-classes, and L20 unlocks Riding and your Chocobo from the Grand Company). Past that, additional combat levels gives you the ability to farm more of your own components (a lot of the higher end material are drop-only, but can be traded for, so not necessary).

There is an entire quest hub devoted to crafting and gathering, but it assumes you have a combat class at L45+ for some of the quests. And each crafting/gathering class has it's own class quest line, complete with lore and story, which are accomplished without combat, but can take you into some high level territory.

You don't have to repeat the story on each class - in fact, you can only complete it once. The storyline, going casually and starting from Level 1, takes about 20-40 hours to complete in it's entirety to Level 50, and includes a bit of forced grouping for some of the events (which is typically not too bad to accomplish with the dungeon finder, depending on which combat class you chose).

The storyline quests are maybe 10% of the PVE combat game, so you don't have to do a lot of dungeons, farming, raids, quests, etc. Storyline quests are gated to completion of the previous quest in the storyline and your current combat class level.

But once you are through to Level 10 on your first combat class, you're clear to ignore combat entirely and utterly. A lot of people chose to do that after they have completed the story - focusing on crafting or gathering exclusively and not really touching the combat/"endgame" at all.

• seafirexseafirex Member UncommonPosts: 419

Could it be possible to take a max character and send every mats needed for the crafting profession the new character is trying to level up with? If yes then that could be the best possible way to level up your character only on crafting.

or even better

Get your guild to have all the guild members send you the crafting mats until you reach max level and just craft everything for them for free in town.

But to do it solo without the help from a max character, alt, etc i think it can not be done but again i am not sure.

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Just get one class to 50 and you can go all crafting no problem
  • YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094

Technically, all you need to do is get to level 10 -- and do the guild quest at level 10 -- and you can then be a full time crafter without ever touching combat again.

Though to unlock retainers in which to sell things, you will have to join a particular group at around level 18, which will give you access to retainers (unless you just want to sell via trade).

If you grind crafting and gathering together, this is possible.  If you do leves, then you will have to travel and perhaps stealth in some places.  But only to unlock the teleport -- and you don't need to be a combat class for this.  You just have less HP and will have to avoid mobs that aggro.

Crafters and gatherers have their own abilities, storyline, equipment, rotations, meta, etc.

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,056
    If you want to be bored out of your mind.
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • MaquiameMaquiame Member UncommonPosts: 1,073
    Originally posted by sinloi

You can do that in ArcheAge, level from 1 to 55 just from crafting. If you are willing to pay the sub for FFXIV then pay it for ArcheAge if you just want to be a crafter, besides there is alot more to craft in ArcheAge. Hell you can craft siege equipment and vehicles including galleons and other types of boats, race cars and submarines.

Any mmo worth its salt should be like a good prostitute when it comes to its game world- One hell of a faker, and a damn good shaker!